Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Weedle posted:

I work at a Catholic school.

You can still say it does not align with your religious beliefs. They can't fire you for not being the Catholic. They can use that to not hire you, and they can use you lying on your resume to fire you, but if you were never asked, nor lied about it you are p.much untouchable.

Just tell them you disagree with absolutely everything in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Fool posted:

Despite what some keyboard warriors would have you believe, it is perfectly ok to not care about religion in any way whatsoever.

I generally try not to talk about the tenets of stuff I self-admittedly don't know anything about. But if you think I was trying to evangelize sure.

Love,
A Keyboard Warrior In God's Service

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I generally try not to talk about the tenets of stuff I self-admittedly don't know anything about. But if you think I was trying to evangelize sure.

My comment was not directly at anyone in this thread, but at psuedo-militants all over the internet.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

pixaal posted:

You can still say it does not align with your religious beliefs. They can't fire you for not being the Catholic. They can use that to not hire you, and they can use you lying on your resume to fire you, but if you were never asked, nor lied about it you are p.much untouchable.

I know they can’t technically fire me for not being Catholic, but I live in a state with at-will employment and I don’t particularly care to paint a target on my back as “that guy who isn’t Dedicated to the Mission” or whatever. This guy is already up our rear end about ticket quotas and I would rather stay on his good side than lay down some righteous anti-papism. I’ll just read the assigned chapter, make up some bullshit, and go about my day.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

pixaal posted:

I'd be careful about this. Much depends on the employment rules in the state in question. It has been my experience, living in an "At Will" state that when it comes to Catholic institutions, if you do not conform to their vision and beliefs you will not be employed. Furthermore, if they come to discover that an employee does not conform, their employment will cease. In an At Will state, they don't need any other reason to fire your rear end.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The Benedictines (and other monastic orders) are absolutely foundational to the modern practice of IT. Without them, we likely would not have preserved much of the knowledge that computers cannot function without, specifically brewing, viticulture, and (most importantly) distillation.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Fool posted:

Being able to communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.

90% of IT projects I've been a part of that have had problems were because the PM and/or management did not understand what was actually going on.

I absolutely get the hell out of my own way when I'm the PM and I don't understand a technical concept well enough to talk authoritatively on it. I've got well informed technical staff who are better able to make the decision and my job is to support that in this case. I'll ask questions that any stakeholder may ask, sure, but I'd rather gamble my role learning something than appear as some sort of Oracle to my boss.

I've seen too many PMs make decisions just because they haven't swung their dicks in the last 10 seconds.

Also this is why I like this thread, how not to piss off your project team members lessons.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thanatosian posted:

The Benedictines (and other monastic orders) are absolutely foundational to the modern practice of IT. Without them, we likely would not have preserved much of the knowledge that computers cannot function without, specifically brewing, viticulture, and (most importantly) distillation.

:guinness:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

pixaal posted:

funny that you think that.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Weedle posted:

A small paperback book appeared in my mailbox. It's titled "A Blessed Life: Benedictine Guidelines for Those Who Long for Good Days." Inside the front cover is a handwritten note from the operations director:

"Weedle:
As the only alum on the team I look forward to your contribution in our book study. The balance between our mission today and the wisdom from 1500 year old tradition will make for interesting observations about practicality of our day-to-day. I look forward to this work to gather a deeper understanding of the school and to learn from your insights.
God Bless,
Ops Dir."

My insights are that 1) God isn't real and 2) I have a lot of work to do and this is a waste of time. I guess I'd better come up with some fake insights because I doubt my real ones would be well-received.

Even ignoring the religious angle, making employees do a book report is complete bullshit. Maybe anonymously drop off a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar into her mailbox with a note asking for an essay on it to be finished before recess?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They be on Michael Scott poo poo

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Thanatosian posted:

Those are the orders in the old world. Chill as gently caress, secluded and make really good beer. Also I can’t imagine anyone here refer to themselves as a Benedictine or a Jesuit unless they were a bonafide monk.

I have no idea how it is in the US. A fair bit more zealous it seems like. Do they also like to brew beers?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fragrag posted:

Those are the orders in the old world. Chill as gently caress, secluded and make really good beer. Also I can’t imagine anyone here refer to themselves as a Benedictine or a Jesuit unless they were a bonafide monk.

I have no idea how it is in the US. A fair bit more zealous it seems like. Do they also like to brew beers?

I don't think there's much of a real monastic tradition in the US (which makes sense given the preponderance of protestant influence) but Catholic schools that identify as Jesuit take that distinction pretty seriously from what I've seen.

I don't think any of them brew beers though.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Considering the core Tenet of Catholicism seems to be "lets pedo do their thing and then hide and protect them", maybe you should start looking for a job in a less morally questionable organization.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fragrag posted:

Nah, they're more into music - love fingering A minor

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Considering the core Tenet of Catholicism seems to be "lets pedo do their thing and then hide and protect them", maybe you should start looking for a job in a less morally questionable organization.

I don’t work for the Catholic Church.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fragrag posted:

The one in the area where I was raised grew pot.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Not that I'm one to defend the Catholic Church, but: 1) people gotsta get paid, and 2) I'd rather have someone working there who's going to say something if they see evidence of child abuse than someone who's going to help cover it up because it's "God's will" or whatever.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't think there's much of a real monastic tradition in the US (which makes sense given the preponderance of protestant influence) but Catholic schools that identify as Jesuit take that distinction pretty seriously from what I've seen.

I don't think any of them brew beers though.

The New World does, in fact, have a Trappist brewery:

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2017/5/2/americas-only-trappist-brewery-introduces-a-quad

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Oh hey that's pretty cool.

There are aspects of monastic life that really appeal to me but it's emphatically not a part of Jewish tradition (which is also understandable.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

angry armadillo posted:

What would you guys say makes a great PM in IT?

I have had one (1) good IT PM. He understood the concepts involved in what we were doing -- it's not important that they be a hands-on technical whiz, but they need to at least have a birds-eye view of what they're managing -- and he was able to go to bat for specific requests we had. Sometimes he isn't going to win on those things but representing our interests effectively was a big thing. Effectively communicating information to people who need to have it in a timely fashion and following up promptly to make sure that specific requirements happen before they bite us in the rear end are also key elements. I don't love lots of meetings but checking in regularly is important.

This stuff sounds really basic but most "PMs" can't or won't do it. I have had meetings he organized the set schedule of which weren't something like "every week" or "every two weeks," but rather "two days before each major implementation," to make sure everyone had what they needed and to allow time to remediate any issues. It's nice to have someone who understands all the moving parts keeping an eye on all of them.

guppy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 5, 2019

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

angry armadillo posted:

A couple beers at lunch and then sneaking out for happy hour around 3:30. :cheers:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

angry armadillo posted:

A great PM understands the rules and social order of IT as well as the messy chaos of the business world. [S]he speaks both languages fluently and is able to translate the needs from one group to the other and protects both groups from the sharp edges of the other.

A great PM is a translator, lubricant, confidante, taskmaster, general and diplomat.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

quote:

My boss gave me a book and told me we're gonna talk about it

Hmm, sounds suspicious. I've received books from bosses before, they've been things like Who Moved My Cheese, and Fish (side note: I think "Who Moved My Cheese and Fish" would make a good title for a parody). Let's investigate.

From Amazon:

quote:

[The author] in this sequel is searching for those basic attitudes and virtues that characterize Benedictine spirituality.... The cultivation of silence and restrained speech; the dedication to work and study; the importance of humility (which is the courage to serve); the cultivation of hospitality, care, and stewardship; mutual respect and taking care of speaking good words these are the book's main topics

In this context (that of a boss telling me to read this thing), I translate this to mean, "Shut up, stop making waves, follow orders, and put your work first. You should proud to work here, so stop asking for better pay."

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe my sociopathic piece of poo poo former boss has damaged me beyond repair. Maybe this manager isn't trying to psychologically manipulate you into being a good little soldier. But I look at things like this with an extreme amount of skepticism until I'm proven wrong.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Che Delilas posted:

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe my sociopathic piece of poo poo former boss has damaged me beyond repair. Maybe this manager isn't trying to psychologically manipulate you into being a good little soldier. But I look at things like this with an extreme amount of skepticism until I'm proven wrong.

No, that's definitely a bit of good old "I'm using the rules of Christianity to the letter to get/say what I want, so it's Not Wrong/Bad".

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I'm a broken record, but every Friday night the staff floor LAN gets blitzed to poo poo from a vulnerability scanner and stays that way, I've been here a little over a year now and I'm more pissed that STILL nobody seems to give a poo poo about doing anything about it.

Like, hundreds of people rely everyday on source control for terabytes of data going in and out to transfer faster than 300kb/s and not get corrupted to poo poo; and here we are with 10 year old SMB edge switches we can easily change out, and a vulnerability scanner DDOS'ing our network we should tell to gently caress off.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Thanks all that told me about good PMs - I applied for a PM role last week and I know my CV beat the HR sift - application closes officially today so I am hoping for an interview if I'm lucky in the next week or so...

I am a kinda jack of all trades IT manager (have been for last 5 years) but I am not the most super technical guy, when I compare myself to some of the posters on here for example - My main interest is delivering IT systems that work well and ensuring the business actually engage and use things IT provide more than say... spinning up a server or troubleshooting weird issues or whatever hence the interest in the role.

So your feedback helps - thanks!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Always, always always check other people's work and ensure what they tell you is correct even if they are your manager/superior.

Just wasted 3 hours because my manager told me something that I've only now realized is extremely incorrect and I have to go back and re-do all my work.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Always, always always check other people's work and ensure what they tell you is correct even if they are your manager/superior.

Just wasted 3 hours because my manager told me something that I've only now realized is extremely incorrect and I have to go back and re-do all my work.
Trust, but verify.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I love the cowboys who pipe up real loud about everything needs to be done now. That is fine, let me type in action plan up here on the projector. Ok, who is going to do it and when?

Silence.

I then loudly start tapping backspace until somebody breaks

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Hey, everyone, did you know that Excel 365 still has a 240 character limit on filenames? Some of you are probably wondering so what?

Well, imagine you have an xls buried several layers deep in a Sharepoint Online document library, or the file was migrated from a network drive file structure using Sharegate into a SharePoint Online site.

If the file is nested too deeply, good loving luck trying to open it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Jira tip - Jira hasn't supported Excel export for awhile, but the export was just a hack. Simply export the HTML and change the extension to .xls. This is all Jira was doing internally anyway.

Hope this helps someone.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Managed to blast the entire company with the “Welcome to Okta!” email from one of our test instances today, woooo. At least it’s easy to purge emails with the O355 security and compliance center.

Of course at least 12 people clicked on the link in the email and tried to put their regular credentials in, including one of the help desk personnel.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

devmd01 posted:

Managed to blast the entire company with the “Welcome to Okta!” email from one of our test instances today, woooo. At least it’s easy to purge emails with the O355 security and compliance center.

Of course at least 12 people clicked on the link in the email and tried to put their regular credentials in, including one of the help desk personnel.

I'd that the discounted version of 365?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PBS posted:

I'd that the discounted version of 365?

97.26% uptime!

96.99% during leap years.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

tango alpha delta posted:

Hey, everyone, did you know that Excel 365 still has a 240 character limit on filenames? Some of you are probably wondering so what?

Well, imagine you have an xls buried several layers deep in a Sharepoint Online document library, or the file was migrated from a network drive file structure using Sharegate into a SharePoint Online site.

LOL ran into this with a customer. They just did Not loving Get It. It was fine editing through the web but if you connected to it via any other means it did not work.

Their naming structure in sharepoint was loving atrocious too.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

devmd01 posted:

I do this via Powershell now and it is incredibly cool to do without the GUI.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
St. Benedict's rule book has a lot of advice for how to run an organization. A good chunk of it is telling the employees(monks) not to complain.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

tango alpha delta posted:

I did! A critical line of business app decides that %temp%\URI\URI\URI\filename is a great place for temp excel files! Which have names like Final version - december sales projections - NOT FOR EXTERNAL USE - copy.xls The three URIs cover about 200 characters total.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MrKatharsis posted:

St. Benedict's rule book has a lot of advice for how to run an organization. A good chunk of it is telling the employees(monks) not to complain.

I feel unsurprised and vindicated, but still not happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Two of my coworkers are sick since Monday and keep coming into the office, coughing and sneezing everywhere. Guess I know why I’m starting to feel kinda sick now. And here I was hoping I’m getting through a winter without a flu for once – thanks guys!