Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I understand the decision to edit out the battles for viewer sanity. On the other hand, the point of an LP like this is largely to show what an unredeemable pile of excrement it is, and the 'full experience' cannot be had without showing the battles.

Also - I thought this game was bad when all I'd seen was 'South Town'. Just wow. I think the part that got me the most personally - though 'Sparkingly Entitress' is just really something, and not something good for darn sure - is just the whole continuity thing really. It starts at the very beginning with the bird's questions - i.e., we're too freaking lazy to come up with names for our own characters or present the story in any remotely compelling way, so we'll ask you to name them for us. Sammy compares Dali to Panda, nm the fact that she's never freaking seen Panda who hasn't been on screen since we met her. Then the conversation in the magical pyramid-eye hallway she talks about her house … with no reaction from Alex whatsoever. Then another game sequence, they get in the elevator … Alex asks where she lives and is shocked that she lives in the factory. Was he just comatose for that whole previous conversation, or … ??

I give most games a fairly wide leeway because I know game design/programming/etc. is really hard. But I think everyone in this thread is a better game designer than the dev here - because they never inflicted this … this … this THING upon the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The funny thing is that this game seems pretty competently programmed, aside from the weirdly long load times for battles. All the failure seems to come from the writing, the design choices, the basically everything, but from a purely technical standpoint it seems okay.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Why the hell is this labeled as post--modern?
Absurdist drama, on the other hand...

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

The funny thing is that this game seems pretty competently programmed, aside from the weirdly long load times for battles. All the failure seems to come from the writing, the design choices, the basically everything, but from a purely technical standpoint it seems okay.

From the code we were looking at the other day, it seems like a big fat mess. Like chunks of it is just checking 'if the actor is named this?' which would explain why you can't name yourself 'Alex'.

Also I've been toying with the idea of doing a video of the switch version to show off the really lovely load times and diving into the battle system; but I would need to take time to really study the damage formulas and figure out just what the heck is happening. (From what I could gleam from it so far, it doesn't matter what you do. Your damage is gonna suck and the battles are gonna take forever.)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 5, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Why the hell is this labeled as post--modern?
Absurdist drama, on the other hand...

Because people call Earthbound post-modern so therefore cheap-knockoff Earthbound is also post-modern

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If all I knew about Earthbound was that 'this game stinks' ad for it, whatever I'd imagine still wouldn't be as bad as this.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Watched the first two videos, and here are my impressuions:

1. Post modernism has lost all meaning now;
2. I did actually kinda dig the Shadow Hearts combat system and wonder how this guy hosed it up so bad;
3. People who use real life tragedies for videogames should be prevented from making games ever again (and possibly breathing);
4. This is trash... and yet I await the next update.

Which is all supposed to say: thank you, your suffering is not in vain.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

resurgam40 posted:

2. I did actually kinda dig the Shadow Hearts combat system and wonder how this guy hosed it up so bad;

Shadow Hearts only has you hit the roulette wheel once per attack, for starters. You have to do a QTE for each attack, but it’s consistent and resolves quickly. No worse than having to time a jump in Paper Mario.

For a game like this, flow is everything. The more you bog combat down with unnecessary motions, the more it wears you down.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

resurgam40 posted:

2. I did actually kinda dig the Shadow Hearts combat system and wonder how this guy hosed it up so bad

The only way I can reasonably describe it is the developer saw the Knuckle Sandwich combat trailer from across the room one day and then forgot the "micro" part of "microgames". And, very possibly, the "games" part as well.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nine-gear crow posted:

I hope GrandmaParty is okay with this, otherwise I'll edit it out because it is slightly "spoiler"-y--despite being utterly devoid of context for what could possibly be happening and how it relates to anything currently happening in the LP, but here's a segment of boss fight gameplay that crowfeathers recorded in response to the initial LP request for YIIK a week and a half ago and, well...

lemonade

My policy is "Post whatever you think is fun." I'm a-ok with it.

One of the things you have to remember about YIIK is everything has a minigame. Everything. Even running away from battle. In two updates, we have to run from a battle and they make me play a stupid minigame to do it. Also, it has the WORST boss battle music I've ever head in my life.

quote:

I understand the decision to edit out the battles for viewer sanity. On the other hand, the point of an LP like this is largely to show what an unredeemable pile of excrement it is, and the 'full experience' cannot be had without showing the battles.

We'll still be showing battles. Especially the important ones and new mechanics. But no one wants to watch me bash rats for hours. Two episodes hence, the game literally tells you to go grind until level 5.

I may do a special mind dungeon stream when we go real deep into it, though.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 5, 2019

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I wish you the best of luck, fellow travelers through the mire that is this game's writing.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If all I knew about Earthbound was that 'this game stinks' ad for it, whatever I'd imagine still wouldn't be as bad as this.

If I may write a bit about my favorite game of all time:

Unfortunately many of the games that use EarthBound as a primary source of inspiration fail to understand the appeal of the game they're trying to replicate. EarthBound is considered "post-modern" because it 1) plays with many of the tropes of a well-established genre, the JRPG, by placing them in the context of a pastiche of the United States in the late-80s/early-90s; and 2) subverting player expectations regarding the relationship between the player and the game that they are playing. Part of its appeal is the fact that it does not go out of its way to draw attention to the fact that it is doing either of those things. Also, the writing is witty, punchy, and genuinely funny.

Successful EarthBound-likes know how to take this absurdity and twist it around. Undertale, for example, flips around the setting and shows the audience a fantastical world sprinkled with elements of our real world and is a lot more tongue in cheek when it breaks the fourth wall. Lisa takes a tragic, but very human, story and mixes it humor and intense drama. In both of these games, as with EarthBound, the surreal elements are a natural extension of the premise and they accumulate in a snowball effect until they are as far removed from the beginning of the game as the game is from the reality of the audience.

YIIK seems to ignore this in favor of shoving in as much wacky stuff as it can and calling it a day. In EarthBound, you start out by fighting stray dogs because there is something that's making them go crazy, and the fights with The Physical Manifestation of the Persistence of Memory only happen once the game makes you comfortable with the initial state of its world. Here, there are monsters just outside the starting town because ??? and you fight them (because you have to fight them) by...throwing vinyl records at them. Just because.

And that's without getting into the awful, overwrought writing, annoying gameplay, and insufferable protagonist.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

As well, games that do absurdity well have absurdity as part of its world-building. In Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, we see that bees and flowers can talk and are also a part of the world, people apparently get honey from them and so on. The bees and flowers even know who you are and chat about their day. This is just a Thing that happens in this world.
Even Moonside in Earthbound had a certain logic to its madness, despite having the excuse of being a fake city created by a psychic statue

Games that do absurdity badly have random crap happen for no rhyme or reason, hence the lemonade alpaca.

quote:

And that's without getting into the awful, overwrought writing, annoying gameplay, and insufferable protagonist.

Hahhaha buddy

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey guys, I've been working on a little LP of my own of this game! It's in screenshot format, and I put a lot of work into it! Enjoy!

Part 1: Holy poo poo Why Is The Music So Goddamn Loud

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:5:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arist posted:

Hey guys, I've been working on a little LP of my own of this game! It's in screenshot format, and I put a lot of work into it! Enjoy!

I think this is postmodernism

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
gently caress. You won

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arist posted:

And we have a winner.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I decided that as the primary source of narrative truth I would shoulder the burden of mansplaining everyone else's dialogue.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I hope GrandmaParty is okay with this, otherwise I'll edit it out because it is slightly "spoiler"-y--despite being utterly devoid of context for what could possibly be happening and how it relates to anything currently happening in the LP, but here's a segment of boss fight gameplay that crowfeathers recorded in response to the initial LP request for YIIK a week and a half ago and, well...

lemonade

After watching a couple minutes of this I felt compelled to show it to a friend, who then replied "I'm sorry what, I just had a seizure and forgot the last two minutes of my life."

Yeah that's about right. It's like all they could remember about Earthbound was that it was zany and had 16-bit stuff and filled in the empty spaces with lovely lolrandom garbage/memes/whatever the gently caress that torrent of nonsense was.

Yeccccch indeed. Thanks Grandma for taking the bullet on this cautionary tale.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I don't know what this game is, but it's incredibly creepy and off-putting already, and I'm going to be watching avidly because apparently I'm a masochist.

Yikes.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I've actually seen someone recommend Two Brothers based on its art, music and story, while admitting that it sucks to play. While I have met someone who thought most of YIIk was average and was baffled that this subforum is dogpiling on it, I can't imagine the game getting an actual recommendation.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
And yet it has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam. I think this is my favorite one …

Jester Eric posted:

Every other complaint is sheer non-since to me. and it's clear they never finished the game. I had my doubts too, but by the end you get all your answers. It's a really fuinny game, and if you remember that, and everytime someone starts spewing non-since you say "sure, okay why not" You'll have a hoot and a half.

Combat is what he's referring to as the complaint that isn't 'sheer non-since'. I don't want to human anymore.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Arist posted:

The only winning move etc. etc.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

lemonade

I was thinking--you ever stay up at night wondering if the "lemonade" line isn't a non-sequitur but an oblique reference to Marcy Playground's "Sex and Candy"? I mean, look at this game. Look at this loving game. This can't be real. Do we really exist in the hell universe that produces crap such as this? This can't be real. Yeah, mama, this surely is a dream.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Solitair posted:

I've actually seen someone recommend Two Brothers based on its art, music and story, while admitting that it sucks to play.

Two Brothers came out when making games with meta writing and glitchy effects wasn't a big thing yet. So at the time, yeah it was a pretty interesting game with a lot of elements that messed with the player. Of course we had games since then like Pony Island that executed basically all of its unique concepts a lot better, but well

Its design was indeed really good, but music and story i dunno about.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Combat Lobster posted:

From the code we were looking at the other day, it seems like a big fat mess. Like chunks of it is just checking 'if the actor is named this?' which would explain why you can't name yourself 'Alex'.

Also I've been toying with the idea of doing a video of the switch version to show off the really lovely load times and diving into the battle system; but I would need to take time to really study the damage formulas and figure out just what the heck is happening. (From what I could gleam from it so far, it doesn't matter what you do. Your damage is gonna suck and the battles are gonna take forever.)

There is one way.

You have to pump STR, LUCK, and PP. Spam EP Strike as soon as you get it. That's it. Eventually you will oneshot most things.

All other stats are irrelevant (though I would recommend taking some speed when the time is right. Do I mean the stat or the drug? You decide.).

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So if I want to cast an attack spell I gotta go through an entire crappy bullet hell minigame? Good lord.

I have to admit that the idea of a JRPG character attacking people with "pacifism" is funny, but that fight looks like an awful slog, Alex is a coward and an rear end in a top hat, and did we name Sammy?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So if I want to cast an attack spell I gotta go through an entire crappy bullet hell minigame? Good lord.

I have to admit that the idea of a JRPG character attacking people with "pacifism" is funny, but that fight looks like an awful slog, Alex is a coward and an rear end in a top hat, and did we name Sammy?

you have to go through a crappy minigame for every possible action

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

corn in the bible posted:

you have to go through a crappy minigame for every possible action

gently caress this game.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I watched endured that boss fight video for a minute and a half.

Good Lord.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

I was thinking--you ever stay up at night wondering if the "lemonade" line isn't a non-sequitur but an oblique reference to Marcy Playground's "Sex and Candy"? I mean, look at this game. Look at this loving game. This can't be real. Do we really exist in the hell universe that produces crap such as this? This can't be real. Yeah, mama, this surely is a dream.

I take it as a reference to the song "Hold Up" from Beyonce's hit album Lemonade. In that I want to smash this game up with a baseball bat while wearing a yellow dress and then drive away in a monster truck like I don't give a gently caress.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Oh dear lord. I had seen other posts about this game around the forums, mainly regarding the real life death thing and a couple of other bits, but then I saw that alpaca fight and :psyduck:

Godspeed, it looks like you're gonna need it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This loving game makes FFX seem gameplay heavy. The next two episodes are recorded and of the hour of recording, it's 50 minutes of dialogue. Holy hell.

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't insist on rehashing what you just saw. Over and over.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 6, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

And then the 10 minutes of gameplay makes you glad there isn't more gameplay.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I found out about YIIK from Hardcore Gaming 101's article on it, and immediately came to the same consensus of everyone else in the thread less than halfway through reading it, including judging the main character to be completely unlikable from screenshots alone (his look captures the garbage 2010s man vibe so well). After witnessing the boss footage I can only conclude that the writer also made YIIK, even with the "this article was written before we found out Kirbopher is a sex pest" disclaimer at the top.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not actually going to LP this game any more, but here's a joke I came up with before I decided that.

Okay, so after you meet Sammy there's a bit where you're walking through hallways, and there's a conversation between her and Alex, and she says something like, "You get used to the flaws in your home. It's confusing for visitors," and I would have said, "Yeah, there's a missing stair right in front of me!!!!!"

Thank you for reading.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have been informed that you actually make that joke in the video, which makes me so loving glad I decided not to do this LP

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Arist posted:

I have been informed that you actually make that joke in the video, which makes me so loving glad I decided not to do this LP

:D

Got you covered, baby.

Next episode up tomorrow. Guest host: PapaSnoogans aka HuskyHog.

Battles next episode: 0.

Exposition: too much.

Penis jokes because PapaSnoogans is a big ol' bear: lots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The people I've seen defending this game are the same ones who defended HuniePop and it's Camgirl predecessor while dissing Monster Prom (another game that leans into absurdity but makes it work): Fragile Bros that identify a little too much with the pathetic rear end in a top hat heroes and break out into hives at the thought of anything being inclusive or Not For Them.