Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
is there a crafting system or should i sell all these body parts every animal seems to drop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

mandatory lesbian posted:

is there a crafting system or should i sell all these body parts every animal seems to drop?

Sell them all. They'll automatically unlock new items.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Thinking of making a Landshark/Pugilist/Zodiac/Arcanist team, unsure of what should go in the fifth slot. Maybe a Hero?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The crafting system is beautifully integrated into the shop system. You sell things for cash and then they're part of the shop's inventory so you can pay to have them made into new items.

The only caveat is don't sell stuff you need for quests! But that's easy to avoid.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Sell them, that's their only purpose. Along with being used for quests, but if they're needed for a quest you currently have active, the game will warn you not to sell them.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

LordHippoman posted:

I think I've finally settled on going with a party of
Hero/Imperial
War Magus/Gunner/Zodiac

I'm not super attached to the Hero, but I figure I need a decently tanky frontliner. Also might want to swap Gunner for Arcanist...any thoughts?

You probably want some sort of ailment inflictor for the War Magus, yeah, otherwise they're just poor Medics. Plus Imperial and Gunner is probably overkill and difficult to manage, plus you already have Zodiac.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'm liking my party so far

Landsknecht/Nightseeker/Hero
Sovereign/Gunner

Sovereign is just great early on. Having passive healing even if it's not a lot makes it so much easier to explore. Plus cheap atk or def boosts and easily being able to hit elemental weaknesses. Maybeplace it later on, but for now it's nice.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Sell them all. They'll automatically unlock new items.

Regy Rusty posted:

The crafting system is beautifully integrated into the shop system. You sell things for cash and then they're part of the shop's inventory so you can pay to have them made into new items.

The only caveat is don't sell stuff you need for quests! But that's easy to avoid.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Sell them, that's their only purpose. Along with being used for quests, but if they're needed for a quest you currently have active, the game will warn you not to sell them.

More games need that as a system, making money while crafting new weapons is cool as heck

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ehR3Xyd.png (old card)

Hero (defensive/elements)

Nightseeker (Blade Flurry is a waste of skillpoints until Master rank)

Sovereign (top tier at all stages of the game)

Gunner (binds and charge shots/eventually elements)

Arcanist (all purpose lockdown and healing)

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 7, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I was going to suggest that EON's inevitable LP use the characters from the older LPs as kind of a send-off, but we never did get a LP of 4, did we? :(

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was going to suggest that EON's inevitable LP use the characters from the older LPs as kind of a send-off, but we never did get a LP of 4, did we? :(

It's on my docket after Nexus.

Speaking of which, I actually plan to have the LP up by tonight. I'm just finishing up my save editor right now. All of the characters are brand-new, from people in my Discord server.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
What classes can buff atk/def other then sovereign?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

blizzardvizard posted:

You probably want some sort of ailment inflictor for the War Magus, yeah, otherwise they're just poor Medics. Plus Imperial and Gunner is probably overkill and difficult to manage, plus you already have Zodiac.

Thanks, I read more up on War Magus, and I think I'm not as hot on them as I thought I was. Might swap them out for a Sovereign and drop Gunner for Arcanist. I figure Imperial and Zodiac should put out enough damage.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man Farmer Imperial synergy is A+, I was worried about the berserker king after I realized i'd accidentally taken assault drive high enough that i could only use it ONCE before not having enough TP, but farmer let me use it 3 times and just destroyed him.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Is there any bonus for having EO4/EO5 save data on the same SD card? Trying to decide where to fit the download, since my whole town seems to be sold out of physical copies.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

LordHippoman posted:

Is there any bonus for having EO4/EO5 save data on the same SD card?

No.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
Is having a Gunner and a Zodiac overkill on the ranged / elemental damage niche, or do they play well together?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Think I'm gonna run with War Magus/Imperial/Pugilist Survivalist/Sovereign. Having WM and Sov shouldn't be overkill since they can both do non-healing stuff as well right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What's the targeting weighting for the front row versus the back row? Considering putting my ninja in the back, but I feel like that might hurt her utility as a dodge tank.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stanfield posted:

Think I'm gonna run with War Magus/Imperial/Pugilist Survivalist/Sovereign. Having WM and Sov shouldn't be overkill since they can both do non-healing stuff as well right?

The EOU2 story party has WM, Sovereign, and Survivalist and they work great together so I'm sure the same will be true here. Focus on Ailing slash with War Magus and have survivalist always applying ailments to use with it.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Woah the game box is super huge

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Landsknecht link kind of disapointing me. It was only doing 18 damage when it followed. Maybe I have to point a lot more skill points into it.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Yeah, from what I know, the Link skills are basically EO's version of Magikarp. Not good until you get to level 20, where the usefulness suddenly spikes, due to the added skills from the veteran area. Improved Link especially.

Also, the more procs the better. That 18 damage might not be much, but it adds up fairly quickly.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is double weapon worth putting points to for Shogun? It doesn’t sound very impressive but there’s so little else to spend points on in the novice level tree.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oriental Hugs posted:

Landsknecht link kind of disapointing me. It was only doing 18 damage when it followed. Maybe I have to point a lot more skill points into it.

The link line looks like a mostly straight port from 4, and there you needed a LOT of skill points. Points in the link abilities themselves (focus one for the moment), points in the passives, points in the charging buffs, grab some decent passives from a subclass while you're there.
Then suddenly you cross a threshold and your Linksknecht becomes death, destroyer of worlds. (Although Link landy can only destroy one world at a time and s/he is more of a boss deleter)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I heard that they made it so that the bind/ailment skills are actually worth using on classes that don't specialize on them like dark hunters/harbringer. True?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tired Moritz posted:

I heard that they made it so that the bind/ailment skills are actually worth using on classes that don't specialize on them like dark hunters/harbringer. True?

My understanding is that they made STR a factor in landing ailments from STR-based skills. So basically Ronin don't totally suck at it.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The formula for the infliction rate is something like (2*STR/INT + LUC), so your offensive stat actually matters more. (This is only for damage skills with status riders, mind you, standalone status skills like Arcanist Circles still just use LUC) So Clear Stance Ronins actually become really reliable disablers with Stone Thrust, and Gunners make for very good binders.

That being said your party's LUC average factors into the enemies' bind/ailment recovery rate, so you definitely still want high LUC.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Is this party viable?

Hero(tank)/Sovereign/arcanist/gunner/zodiac.

I have a gathering party set up, too. I just don't want to do what I did with 5 and find out my party's not viable halfway through. :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why is Edie named Napier now?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shyfted One posted:

Was not expecting to almost party wipe in the tutorial dungeon from an event I opted to remove the equipment of the 3 party members that got poisoned even though I knew it was probably going to put me into an encounter, so I only had a Land and back row Sov with any equipment

The thing is, if you just push through the poison will drain a lot of health, but you won't be put into an encounter. So you should have just endured, healed up a bit and gone back to town (since you also lose a lot of magic, which hurts a lot more)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Napier is the shop lady from EOIII. It was quite the neat surprise to see her show up again!

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Oriental Hugs posted:

What classes can buff atk/def other then sovereign?

Buffs are strangely pretty rare in EON for whatever reason.
However there is a bunch of debuffs flying around and those work exactly the same as their buff counterparts in newer titles - they just use a different slot. A 25% defence debuff increases your damage just as much as a 25% attack buff since they get slotted into the same place in the damage formula.
(Or at least they did for all other 3DS EOs; so it will most likely be the same way in Nexus).

Harbinger, War Magus, Landsknecht and Arcanist all have at least an attack and a defence debuff, most of them more.

Handgun Phonics posted:

Is having a Gunner and a Zodiac overkill on the ranged / elemental damage niche, or do they play well together?

Hitting weaknesses is never really overkill. Also Gunner has lost the elemental Rounds - they now only have the Charged elements, which are 40+. So for a good while they only have stab damage. And binds.
So they shouldn't step on the Zodiacs territory too hard.

Aerofallosov posted:

Is this party viable?

Hero(tank)/Sovereign/arcanist/gunner/zodiac.

It seems Souvereign got their bulk back so combined with the EOV armor system they should be able to stand in the front reasonably well. Royal Veil will probably not activate too often but you have other ways to heal even early on. Souvereign also got their own offensive tools now, turning them more into a hybrid than ever before.
So while I barely started the game myself and don't know what it will throw at you your party looks good to me.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

From what I heard "Edie" was made up by the localisation team for the English version of the EOIII artbook. "Napier" sounds like a last name and while it's normal to adress people by their last name in Japan it's pretty uncommon in the west.
Unless I'm mistaken she got never referenced as "Edie" in EOIII itself, not even by her sister. In EON however she is directly named by the barkeeper so maybe they weren't as comfortable to change her name ingame?

Or she's just not in a first name basis with Lemuria...

werbear fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 6, 2019

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I'm running Hero, Shogun, Imperial | Survivalist, Arcanist. Working well so far. Passive healing in combat and Resuscitate outside of it. In bigger fights my goal is to stack Great Warrior and Chain Dance on my Survivalist and use Front Command on him to generate a lot of counterattacks. It might be too gimmicky and RNG to be viable later on, but when it works it's fun and funny. The party is plenty strong outside of its gimmick, so I'm not too worried about it.

The Hero's Physical Shield is great for general use when I don't want to use Chain Dance.

I'd probably be better off overall with a Highlander than an Imperial, but Imperial is my second favorite class in the series so it's a must-include. (My #1 favorite is Arcanist, and she's perfect.)

Just beat the first boss quite painlessly (Heroic of course) and I'm having a great time so far.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
It got buried last page, so here's this again:

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Now that the game's out...

I got a streetdate-broken copy, so I'm a bit further ahead than you'd probably expect for a day 1 playthrough. :v:

(US guild card, btw. Those are region-locked again.)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

werbear posted:

From what I heard "Edie" was made up by the localisation team for the English version of the EOIII artbook. "Napier" sounds like a last name and while it's normal to adress people by their last name in Japan it's pretty uncommon in the west.
Unless I'm mistaken she got never referenced as "Edie" in EOIII itself, not even by her sister. In EON however she is directly named by the barkeeper so maybe they weren't as comfortable to change her name ingame?

Or she's just not in a first name basis with Lemuria...

Yeah the Japanese artbook just calls her "Napier Company Shopkeeper" but I don't know what the Japanese in-game dialogue calls her.

It's cool that they brought her back for the fanservice game because she had great dialogue.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It was never official outside of the localized version of the artbook. She was always called Napier in Japanese. So the new localization team either wasn't aware of what the old came up with for the artbook, or decided to stay consistent with the Japanese version. At no point was she ever called that in-game for EO3. She was just known as the shopkeeper.

Napier does make more sense as her name. It is her storefront after all.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tfw even mandatory plot events will steal your Ariadne thread.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the lag between battle rounds is kinda irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Is there any bonus for having EO4/EO5 save data on the same SD card? Trying to decide where to fit the download, since my whole town seems to be sold out of physical copies.

Nope. They had an potentially transferrable "extra data" thing for EO4 and EOU, but they dropped that starting from EO2U onwards. EO4's went entirely unused, but EOU's was used for the cafe in EO2U. All it was, was just a copy of your save data anyway.

It was probably done as a "just in case" sort of thing. Or maybe they wanted to have a link between games, like the link between EO1 and 2. Though given that transferring your stuff to EO2 just resulted in that game going "gently caress you for being a veteran" and slamming your head into the pavement over and over, it was probably for the best we didn't get something like that.