Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Heath posted:

I'm wondering if there will be a Castlevania collection or a general Konami compilation like SNK had.

Either of these would be killer on the Switch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah we just the the Castlevanias and Punch Out and I’m good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heath posted:

I'm wondering if there will be a Castlevania collection or a general Konami compilation like SNK had.

Given sony had to get involved to shoddily rerelease an existing PSP collection with only 2/3rds the content it originally came with on the PS4 I dont think Konami is going to do a gotdamn thing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
list the snes rpgs you like more than chrono trigger

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I prefer World but 3 has a lot going for it over World like more diverse level settings and more power ups. They’re both great.

I respect 3 but I just don't like it. The art style/color palette and the actual feel of playing it rub me the wrong way. Really though except for SMB and Zelda I can't stand to play any NES games anymore.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

Does Front Mission count?

Chrono Trigger is the best RPG if its generation, even if I love Phantasy Star IV a ton. I really wish future RPGs had taken more from those games instead of faffing about with 80 hours of gameplay that sucks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I replayed SMB3 at Christmas in 2-player mode and it still holds up. Play the game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I will not

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bartleby, the gamer

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Looper posted:

FF5
Maaaaaybe Seiken Densetsu 3.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ff6

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tender Bender posted:

I respect 3 but I just don't like it. The art style/color palette and the actual feel of playing it rub me the wrong way. Really though except for SMB and Zelda I can't stand to play any NES games anymore.

Have you tried the All-Stars version? It fixes your first 2 gripes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I never thought about that. I may play it now

Fake edit: I do like the weird ice starlit sky underground scheme

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Looper posted:

most of them

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I'm gonna say something stupid to make the OP mad uhhhh

E.V.O. Search for Eden

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Silver Snail posted:

E.V.O. Search for Eden

This is a cool game.

I'd definitely say Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG of all time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tender Bender posted:

I never thought about that. I may play it now

Fake edit: I do like the weird ice starlit sky underground scheme

It’s my preferred version. The backgrounds are nice and the sound is a big improvement as well.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thank you gross jiggly puff!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Silver Snail posted:

E.V.O. Search for Eden

Anyone who doesn't like this game can go straight to loving hell!!!!!!!!!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Also anyone who hates Crystalis on NES but they can go to a higher circle

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
CT is maybe my favorite but Earthbound is a consideration and FF6 is a solid third.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rolo posted:

CT is maybe my favorite but Earthbound is a consideration and FF6 is a solid third.

That's the golden trinity.

FF6 is the Father
Earthbound is the Son
Chrono Trigger is the Holy Ghost.

Warm take, I could never get into SMRPG. Mario doesn't feel congruent to Square style RPGs. Paper Mario is the better Mario RPG.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh my god I’ve had the boss music to EVO in my head for like five months and just now realized where it’s from. Jesus Christ thank you.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i feel like i posted this not too long ago but anyway: live a live, ff5, tactics ogre, smrpg, thracia 776, earthbound

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Never heard of Tactics Ogre or Live Whatever but I like your other takes so maybe I should do some work.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

EVO was such a cool idea ahead of its time. Never felt like SNES really was the best system for that game with the weird janky hitboxes and platforming. Would have loved for it to get a remake.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont like earthbound because it got hyped to hell when I was a kid and both times I rented it as a kid I got completely stonewalled and unable to progress, including the very opening of the game, and everywhere I was had copies* so it wasnt rare or unique to me and any hubub over its releases seemed not particulalry intetesting.

As an adult its not bad and I see why people dig it but like, kid me really didnt like it so sadly it remains vaguely negative to me.

*My local barber had multiple copies for crying out loud.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Most gamers I knew in the SNES era considered Chrono Trigger, FFVI, and Secret of Mana to be the best RPGs at the time. Earthbound was a much more obscure title at the time that had poor sales and little interest despite a prominent feature in Nintendo Power. Terranigma was virtually unkown before emulation. FFV didn't have an SNES release in the West, it was only introduced through emulation and re-releases on later systems. Same with Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma, Romancing SaGa, Live a Live, and Treasure of the Rudras. Gamers outside Japan missed out on a lot of RPGs at the time is what I'm saying. .

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rolo posted:

Never heard of Tactics Ogre or Live Whatever but I like your other takes so maybe I should do some work.

Live A Live is a Japan only release but there's an English patch. It's a really unique RPG where you have a few different scenarios to play through as different protagonists.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please dont doxx me

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Earthbound was good but Mother 3 is an infinitely better game. There's no reason for anyone to be playing Earthbound when it exists.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

American McGay posted:

Earthbound was good but Mother 3 is an infinitely better game. There's no reason for anyone to be playing Earthbound when it exists.

This is not an opinion a person can hold

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This thread needs to be gassed swiftly and without mercy

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Earthbound and Mother 3 have completely different themes and settings, it isn't like Mother where Earthbound actually is the strictly-better game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i dunno i like most videogames

except your favorite game

that one is poo poo

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i would like it if they added the nes version of jackal

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

With the 3 nes super Mario games on the system now, I hope they still release all stars. I like those versions of the games too :smith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

They’re both different enough that they’re both worth playing. Plus, ya know, 3 is a sequel to 2 and I don’t think it would be as enjoyable if you didn’t play 2 first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Previously...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any guesses as to what February's NES games will be? I'm thinking, among what we get, it'll either include Super Mario Bros 2 or Kirby's Adventure. I kind of wish they'd announce this stuff like.... 3 months at a time, but whatever.

Here's hoping for some SNES online news soon! :toot:

:smug:

Come oooonnnnn SNES!