Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

What's the tl;dr on Pod Save America?

Extreme establishment insiders who pretend like they are regular activists on the street talking about politics like normal people.

Or as one of the greatest tweets of all time put it:

https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/961104660424773633?lang=en

edit: the great thing about that whole exchange is that they claimed during it to totally support M4A. And then now that non-Bernie candidates are backing away from it, they are pushing the whole "who cares if its M4A as long as people have access to affordable healthcare?" and the mask has fallen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

It's a political podcast put together by a group of people who used to work for Obama and are all named John, Jon, or J'onn

I would totally listen to Martian Manhunter talk about politics.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

joepinetree posted:

Extreme establishment insiders who pretend like they are regular activists on the street talking about politics like normal people.

Or as one of the greatest tweets of all time put it:

https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/961104660424773633?lang=en

that kind of feels like all politics podcasts tbh

weeds is sometimes good though

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Brony Car posted:

I would totally listen to Martian Manhunter talk about politics.

I'm sorry to report that the Martian Manhunter thinks universal healthcare should not be a purity test for Democratic candidates :(

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Berke Negri posted:

Listen to Citations Needed.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Pod Save America is good, the guys are former insiders sure, but very progressive.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

King of Solomon posted:

Listen to Citations Needed.

no i hate that guy

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Berke Negri posted:

no i hate that guy

If this is a joke, I don't get it. :(

E: Wikipedia I guess?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The latest episode of Chapo Trap House actually did a pretty good analysis of Pod Save America. Jump to 5:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoK27Oe6ZB8

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

I'm sorry to report that the Martian Manhunter thinks universal healthcare should not be a purity test for Democratic candidates :(

A lack of empathy because he has total control of his physical form.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Radish posted:

He also wants to gently caress the Democrats for moving too far left with Hillary Clinton by running as a spoiler but is too stupid to not get that his whining about being a persecuted billionaire is unappealing to pretty much everyone.

No, he wants the PUMA HillaryIs44 crowd. Whatever you think of Booker, Harris, etc, they’re all going to pledge to support the eventual nominee, and they will. Just as Bernie’s people tried to help Hillary’s (and was told off.)

By not being a Democrat, Schultz can get the Angry Centrists these campaigns can’t sway to the nominee, and he doesn’t have to pledge to support the nominee (because he won’t.)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

How are u posted:

Pod Save America is good, the guys are former insiders sure, but very progressive.

it's bad op

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1092945762726621186

I am amazed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tab8715 posted:

What's the tl;dr on Pod Save America?

https://twitter.com/podsaveamerica/status/1091395928546627584?s=21
Peak hack liberal bullshit.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

The difference between Pod Save and the Weeds is that the latter plays up their wonkishness and insider connections while the former are essentially pushing the democratic line acting like its just a common sense grassroots approach.

How are u posted:

They are "progressive" in the sense that Obama is progressive. They are establishment democrats who are aware that the democratic brand was trash and were trying like hell to rehabilitate it. Their podcast series that was specifically about why democrats lost so many elections between 08 and 16 ends with a softball inspirational interview with Obama. They have been trying to water down or kill M4A for a while (see, Jon F's joining United States of Care, Jon L this week saying that it doesn't matter if it is public or private), they've always been gung ho about defending Obama's foreign policy and immigration policy, and have always tried to reduce the differences between the left and the establishment as a matter of communications, not policy. They almost never challenge any democratic guests, from Hillary to Mark Warner (which was immediately after he voted to water down Dodd-Frank).

Not to mention that they are absolute parasites on the system. "Hey, pay $400 to come us tape our podcast, which doubles as an HBO special, where we will try to get you to install the cash app so that you can donate 5 bucks to your favorite campaign"

They are certainly entertaining, and certainly good at their jobs as communicators. But don't ever for a second believe that they are to the left of the democratic center.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
You can be authentically stupid, authentically horrific, authentically sociopathic, or authentically good and kind. But in any event you must be authentic and Liz Warren is facing a major uphill battle to establish that authenticity.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Berke Negri posted:

no i hate that guy

sure, nima shirazi has a bad case of npr voice, but it's wrong to hate a person because of a physical disability

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

joepinetree posted:

Jon Favreau had Stephanie Kelton on his show to challenge the entire establishment idea that we need to fully fund any government program, and is basically how I learned about Modern Monetary Theory.

So I'd really challenge the entire idea that they're just establishment types.

I've heard them press and critique establishment thinking quite a bit.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

weeds is sometimes good when its basically acting like a pbs special

still kind of weird to me that podcasts have tv shows now and some people make abazillion dollars doing them, like when the hell did that happen

https://twitter.com/SenGillibrand/status/1092979700039905280

we live in hell

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

theblackw0lf posted:

Jon Favreau had Stephanie Kelton on his show to challenge the entire establishment idea that we need to fully fund any government program, and is basically how I learned about Modern Monetary Theory.

Felix Biederman went on one of the Crooked Media podcasts and they edited out the part where he argued that Iran should have a nuclear weapon because it would prevent a US invasion

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

One of the Jons is gay, so if you dislike them, you're a bigot. According to center Dems.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

the best thing PSA has done is make a bunch of other podcasts on their network that are better than PSA is. I love Keep It, Pod Save the People and Pod Save the World are more in-depth about things that PSA doesn't ever really touch, that series they did about the history of the Democratic party is pretty good and doesn't feel like the Aaron Sorkin Liberal Coalition Cheerleading Squad. Crooked Conversations is good depending on the episode, it occsionally deals with topics that don't get a lot of play otherwise and is almost always talking to someone who actually knows the issue instead of the guys ruminating on how it plays for the base or whatever.

hysteria and with friends like these are fine. i like lovett or leave it but i understand why others don't. on the negative side, the guys are collectively really bad at taking criticism (i'm still really pissed off that they continue to advertise for SimpliSafe and have stopped listening to the flagship partially because of it), they gave a platform to that "good republican" friend of their until it turned out (SPOILERS) that he was not actually good because there is no such thing as a good republican, and all of the live shows are practically unlistenable.

Berke Negri posted:

weeds is sometimes good when its basically acting like a pbs special

still kind of weird to me that podcasts have tv shows now and some people make abazillion dollars doing them, like when the hell did that happen

I really like the Weeds. I know not everyone here has the highest opinion of Vox but I trust their journalism more than anyone else 95% of the time (not that they don't have some stupid poo poo on there but it's generally kept to a minimum) and I like all of their writers (IMO Sarah Kliff is one of the best healthcare reporters in the country). it's also very funny to see how far to the left Matt Yglasias has moved in the post-Trump era. he's completely unwilling to believe that anyone in the Republican party is ever arguing in good faith even when guys like Ezra Klein are and it's really funny (because he is completely correct every time)

edit: I forgot that PSA advertises for that loving Robin Hood thing which is also a hot mess they really ought to stop advertising for garbage poo poo.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 6, 2019

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

AsInHowe posted:

One of the Jons is gay, so if you dislike them, you're a bigot. According to center Dems.

as a gay bernie bro I can attest that I was just doing it so that boys would notice me, which really pissed off my husband.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DC Murderverse posted:

I really like the Weeds. I know not everyone here has the highest opinion of Vox but I trust their journalism more than anyone else 95% of the time (not that they don't have some stupid poo poo on there but it's generally kept to a minimum) and I like all of their writers (IMO Sarah Kliff is one of the best healthcare reporters in the country). it's also very funny to see how far to the left Matt Yglasias has moved in the post-Trump era. he's completely unwilling to believe that anyone in the Republican party is ever arguing in good faith even when guys like Ezra Klein are and it's really funny (because he is completely correct every time)

On the other hand, Vox is completely in the tank for Bill Gates to a frankly kinda dangerous degree.

Citations Needed episode about Bill Gates and the media, spends a good chunk of time talking about Vox specifically.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

vox's video content is actually kind of good which is true of almost no body in media

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Vox really sucks when it comes to education. They really, really don't know what the gently caress they're talking about and it drives me crazy.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Lol, Kelton was Chief Economist for the Democratic Minority Staff . The idea that having her on is evidence of anti-establishment anything is ridiculous.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

King of Solomon posted:

On the other hand, Vox is completely in the tank for Bill Gates to a frankly kinda dangerous degree.

yeah my biggest criticism of Vox is that they definitely drift into technocrat territory on the reg (and also have a segment that's sponsored by AmEx which is ehhhhh)

and Vox Media as a company (the people that own Vox News and Polygon and SB Nation) do the usual lovely media company stuff (hate unions not pay people etc) but the journalists are not in control of that poo poo

edit:

Berke Negri posted:

vox's video content is actually kind of good which is true of almost no body in media

I really like Today, Explained and their Netflix series. The Netflix stuff in particular is basically the ideal "explaining things to dummies" show which, as an occasional dummy, i appreciate

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 6, 2019

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

PSA are awesome and listening to Chapo is exactly like reading the Dems are a waste thread. So if you liked that thread then you’ll probably like chapo. PSA is more like the old Trump threads.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Vox really sucks

Here, let me fix that for you.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vox's work on emergency room bills has done a bunch of great things including exposing the Zuckerberg Emergency Room not taking any private insurance despite being the only emergency room in SF city limits, and has also highlighted a bunch of people's stories of paying too much for emergency room treatment (which almost always results in the emergency room going "oh poo poo stop telling people we're terrible" and taking care of things by deciding *not* to bankrupt those people) which is more than most news sites these days can say

it's them and ProPublica at the top of the list of "best journalistic entities".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ogmius815 posted:

PSA are awesome and listening to Chapo is exactly like reading the Dems are a waste thread. So if you liked that thread then you’ll probably like chapo. PSA is more like the old Trump threads.

tl;dr: if you're cool and smart you like chapo and if you love to chug poo poo 24 hours a day PSA is the pod for you!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

You’re missing the context. For one they’re talking only about plans that have an opt in or opt out public plan available to everyone. Two is that this was related to the very real fact that eliminating private insurance causes M4A to be more unpopular so they were discussing whether we should be open to a public plan that would still keep private insurance, as long as health care would be accessible and affordable to all: So focus on the goal, and then debate which ones get you there. Again though these only relate to those proposals that are public plans available to everyone.

Plus they also spent a lot of time saying that if we are going to eliminate private insurance we need to start preparing the public now.

Look there’s a decent chance that any 2020 president won’t be able to get 50 dem senators to support eliminating private insurance. In that case, it’s very reasonable to ask what would be a future presidents plan be then.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ogmius815 posted:

How tirelessly did old Trump thread posters work to oppose m4a exactly?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

in the dark technofuturistic vision of cyber-dystopia known as 2020, political affiliations will be determined by which radio show you listen to

https://twitter.com/AndrewYangVFA/status/1092976011283783681

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Berke Negri posted:

in the dark technofuturistic vision of cyber-dystopia known as 2020, political affiliations will be determined by which radio show you listen to

https://twitter.com/AndrewYangVFA/status/1092976011283783681

look at that subtle off-white colouring. the tasteful problem solving of it. oh my god, it even has a linkedin watermark

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Lol, Kelton was Chief Economist for the Democratic Minority Staff . The idea that having her on is evidence of anti-establishment anything is ridiculous.

She was also Bernie’s economic adviser, and is currently advising AOC.

And it was her message that challenged anti-establishment thinking.

Unless you’re really arguing that “deficits don’t really matter as much and the federal government shouldn’t feel constrained financially to spend what it needs to meet the needs of its citizens” is establishment thinking

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Raskolnikov38 posted:

look at that subtle off-white colouring. the tasteful problem solving of it. oh my god, it even has a linkedin watermark

He's using a linkedin service, that's not a watermark.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

King of Solomon posted:

The last time D&D had a discussion about Bill Gates, someone basically suggested he’d never be as progressive as to support abolishing cap gains loopholes and someone found a quote where he supported cap gains taxed same as income.

Bill Gates is probably the first rich guy to decide he doesn’t want to be against the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theblackw0lf posted:

You’re missing the context. For one they’re talking only about plans that have an opt in or opt out public plan available to everyone. Two is that this was related to the very real fact that eliminating private insurance causes M4A to be more unpopular so they were discussing whether we should be open to a public plan that would still keep private insurance, as long as health care would be accessible and affordable to all: So focus on the goal, and then debate which ones get you there. Again though these only relate to those proposals that are public plans available to everyone.

Plus they also spent a lot of time saying that if we are going to eliminate private insurance we need to start preparing the public now.

Look there’s a decent chance that any 2020 president won’t be able to get 50 dem senators to support eliminating private insurance. In that case, it’s very reasonable to ask what would be a future presidents plan be then.

The joke is that a segment of PSA fans latch onto something that has nothing to do with the legitimate criticism to dismiss any criticism out of hand.

However, the American public is already being prepared to fight for Medicare For All, and its more popular than most think.