Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ah, I didn't know about that part.

I would love an actual source for that because as a fluent English speaker literally every word ever is slang for genitals or a sex act according to Urban Dictionary so I'm not just going to trust some internet rando to do the same with a language I don't speak. And even if it is true, the cute repeating monosyllabic name is a real thing for naming pandas so if it is a bit of innuendo it's so subtle and hidden that it's effectively meaningless and rarely a blip compared to, I dunno, Shrek's antagonist being named Fuckwad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got around to reading the Sleeping Beauty Twisted Tale book and it was awesome. The idea of this one is that Maleficent has a backup plan, basically a horcrux - after her body is killed by the prince, her soul enters Aurora's body and takes over her dream, draining the life of the sleeping denizens of the castle to keep herself going and filling Aurora's head with a false backstory in which the world outside the castle was blighted by her parents and the three fairies until Maleficent came and saved the day. Because of this, when the Prince kisses Aurora, rather than pulling her out of her sleep, he is pulled into her dream.

Because of this, Aurora needs to escape the castle on her own when she realises that Maleficent is actually terrible and has been fooling everyone in the dream for years (she is 19 in the dream due to being in the castle for 3 years, but in the real world it's still only a few hours passing). When she runs into the prince (who in the dream is a stranger to her) she has become slightly wiser and ends up becoming smarter than he is, him still being fairly stupid and naive while she starts to kind of grow out of him. She also calls him out for falling in love with a girl for twirling randomly in the forest and being "nice" given she was in a euphoric state at the time due to sheer boredom. Also she ends up pissed because both her real life with the fairies and the dream world with Maleficent were both based on lies that she fell for instantly with no questioning, so she's frustrated as much with herself as with everyone else.

Ending spoilers: Because it's her dream she also realises that she can control aspects of it, so the finale involves her beating up Maleficent with the entire castle, ripping the walls down and smacking her with the rubble, then fighting the dragon form by throwing the entire forest at her, including opening chasms beneath her to force her to fall, or lifting walls of earth to intercept her movements. She also gets wonderfully condescending to Maleficent just trying to goad her because by the time of the fight she has realised her true gifts - not the garbage given to her by Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, but the gifts she was born with but had no way of practicing due to poor training/tuition, namely Intelligence, Bravery and Kindness.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Robindaybird posted:

Apparently part of it is that for some ungodly reason the Execs at Funi really, really likes him and he exploited his fanatical fanbase to go after people trying to bring up his creepy behavior. That's the worst part of it, he's exploiting naive, and often socially awkward teenage girls to accept parties in his hotel and tear down other girls trying to point out that he's a creep.

Now that people in the industry are the ones talking people are finally doing something about it. I hope Funi realize their pet VA needs to be taken behind the shed so to speak.

They just dumped him from their simuldub of Morose Monokean.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm actually genuinely surprised they did, now to push this guy completely out.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I find it upsetting that they're allowed to curse in Pixar shorts now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Can they drop Chris "Kirbopher" Niosi next?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robindaybird posted:

Apparently part of it is that for some ungodly reason the Execs at Funi really, really likes him and he exploited his fanatical fanbase to go after people trying to bring up his creepy behavior. That's the worst part of it, he's exploiting naive, and often socially awkward teenage girls to accept parties in his hotel and tear down other girls trying to point out that he's a creep.

Now that people in the industry are the ones talking people are finally doing something about it. I hope Funi realize their pet VA needs to be taken behind the shed so to speak.

It's actually a very godly reason. Gen Fukunaga, the founder of Funimation, is good friends with Rick Santorum and Funimation used to share office space with a Christian media company run by Fukunaga and Santorum. Mignogna, meanwhile, is super openly a fundamentalist Christian.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Maybe their new overlords at Sony stepped in.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If Funi drops him, I'm gonna assume that either it was Sony's call or the heat just got too high for Fukunaga to keep his Jesus buddy around, yeah.

e: I should note that simuldubs of shows nobody's ever heard of aren't the important part here. Keep an eye on future DBZ stuff and future Fullmetal Alchemist stuff and see if Broly and Ed get new voices; that'll be the true test.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

I would love an actual source for that because as a fluent English speaker literally every word ever is slang for genitals or a sex act according to Urban Dictionary so I'm not just going to trust some internet rando to do the same with a language I don't speak. And even if it is true, the cute repeating monosyllabic name is a real thing for naming pandas so if it is a bit of innuendo it's so subtle and hidden that it's effectively meaningless and rarely a blip compared to, I dunno, Shrek's antagonist being named Fuckwad.

Repeated names is how you do nicknames/cute names in chinese and isnt something unique to naming pandas beyond they tend to get chinese names. Yours would be guyguy, for instance while I would be barbar

As for its colloquial meaning of xiaomeimei even if you wont trust me or other speakers, both chinese dictionaries I own and the online dictionaries tell you it means vagina when you look it up. Its a pretty well known and standardized thing to the point of it and not saying someones wife is little are things any Chinese language class will tell you at the start. Off the top of my head for an example in Sleeping Dogs a song in it uses it for the pun several times.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 6, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy Mann posted:

I think it was Pratchett who said "Mind you, the Elizabethans had so many words for the female genitals that it is quite hard to speak a sentence of modern English without inadvertently mentioning at least three of them."

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Xiao mei mei means little sister or little girl. xiao meaning little, mei meaning beauty. Both xiao mei or mei mei can be used for "little girl". Mei mei can also be used to refer to beautiful women, similar to how we might use "babe", however it can be considered derogatory in this context. Not so derogatory that it wouldn't be used as a pet or nickname. For instance, meimei is the nickname Chinese fans use to refer to Taylor Swift.

Xiao mei mei is also used as slang for vagina. But unless there is something to indicate that was their intention, naming a character meimei reads more like referring to her as beautiful. It is the exact equivalent of watching Beauty and the Beast and seeing the character is named Belle and accusing it of being a reference to belle-chose (literally 'pretty thing' but can be considered french slang for vagina).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
whatever, panda 3 is boring and that is its biggest flaw.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Moon Atari posted:

Xiao mei mei means little sister or little girl. xiao meaning little, mei meaning beauty. Both xiao mei or mei mei can be used for "little girl". Mei mei can also be used to refer to beautiful women, similar to how we might use "babe", however it can be considered derogatory in this context. Not so derogatory that it wouldn't be used as a pet or nickname. For instance, meimei is the nickname Chinese fans use to refer to Taylor Swift.

Xiao mei mei is also used as slang for vagina. But unless there is something to indicate that was their intention, naming a character meimei reads more like referring to her as beautiful. It is the exact equivalent of watching Beauty and the Beast and seeing the character is named Belle and accusing it of being a reference to belle-chose (literally 'pretty thing' but can be considered french slang for vagina).

Thanks for this, langue is fun!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I did not expect to read about the Panda Vagina Agenda ITT.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Xiao di di can also mean little Bro or a penis

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Das Boo posted:

I did not expect to read about the Panda Vagina Agenda ITT.

It’s the only way to get anyone to give a gently caress about them any more.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've finished reading through the Twisted Tales now that I've read through As Old as Time. Overall they were all entertaining reads, with Reflection and Upon a Dream being the strongest overall, but As Old as Time has interesting backstory added to the castle and it's surroundings, and A Whole New World is the most generally brutal with how far Jafar goes given the fact that he is given power over a whole city early in the story.

Basically the twists that change the course of the story are as follows:

Reflection: Shang is mortally wounded in the avalanche fight, necessitating Mulan going to the Chinese Afterlife to save him.

Upon a Dream: When the prince kisses Aurora, due to a back up plan laid by Maleficent he is pulled into her sleep instead of waking her up.

A Whole New World: Abu fails to steal the lamp back from Jafar at the cave of wonders.

As Old as Time: Belle touches the rose rather than pulling away from it in her initial foray into the West Wing, and learns that the enchantress is her mother.

Spoiler-heavy highlights of each book:

Reflection

Li Shang's stone guardian and his father show up and just own.
Mulan dealing with her ancestors and their inevitable reactions to her lies
A literal mountain of knives

Upon a Dream:

Aurora wisening up and in turn realising how stupid she used to be thanks to her upbringing, and how stupid the prince is
A singing contest in which Aurora sings so hard she damages her own throat
Aurora learning how to control the world around her, given that it's her dream.
Aurora having a condescend-off with Maleficent

(ENDING SPOILER)Aurora throwing the entire dream world at Maleficent, tearing the whole thing apart with her mind to bring her down.

A Whole New World:

A band of thieves with ideological disagreements with Aladdin
The genie's backstory, and him snapping at Jasmine a few times due to being under a lot of stress being Jafar's servant
A zombie army, given the power of flight by strips of the magic carpet cut up by Jafar

As Old as Time

Belle being wracked with guilt over completing the curse by accidentally destroying the rose, and her and the beast researching the kingdoms forgotten history to break it.[spoiler]
[spoiler]A history of magical creatures being systematically displaced by ethnic cleansing

Belle, the Enchantress and her Father escaping an asylum from within, while the Beast and Gaston team up leading the villagers in a mob to rescue her and the rest of their wrongfully imprisoned loved ones

They are all fun in their own way.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 6, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What about Da ge ge?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember a post in a China thread where an English teacher's students wanted to know some amusing English obscenities/words for genitals, and the teacher said he'd write just two English words for 'penis' on the board: 'dong' and 'wang'.

There's only so many syllables to go around.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Disney Channel in the Philippines has a lot of weird, low-budget CGI shows that address issues like...bribery? And the government agency to call if you catch someone committing bribery? (Traveling with a toddler for context)

Also, I don’t know if it’s specific to the Philippines, but the edit of A Goofy Movie I saw is abysmal. The whole thing is at like 1.25x speed, almost all moments without dialogue or action are edited out so the pacing is really chaotic, and they edited out words like “dork” and “doofus”. Not censored or replaced, there’s just a hard cut.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's loving amazing he skated for this long. The stories about him being a huge creeper have been around for years and I wouldn't have figured an anime VA had the sway to protect himself, but I guess it shows how entrenched this bullshit is.

Okay, I gotta know. I hadn't heard anything creepy about Vic until just this past year when the accusations suddenly started flying around. Where'd these all come from? The worst I've heard is that he had a bit of an ego, but nothing about actual harassment.

The explanation I'm hearing is that someone started spreading rumors after Vic wouldn't sign their yaoi fanart.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Okay, I gotta know. I hadn't heard anything creepy about Vic until just this past year when the accusations suddenly started flying around. Where'd these all come from? The worst I've heard is that he had a bit of an ego, but nothing about actual harassment.

The explanation I'm hearing is that someone started spreading rumors after Vic wouldn't sign their yaoi fanart.

This has been around for years. Stories of him being inappropriate with women, especially underage fans, were pretty commonplace since *at least* his Edward Elric days. Like I remember people discussing being uncomfortable with him being Junpei in Persona 3 for that reason if you want an idea of how far back this goes. This isn't some made-up false rumor thing, there are photos/videos/etc.

If you want an explanation for why this blew up, it's twofold:

A) Vic was close to Gen Fukunaga, Funimation's GM until literally the start of this month. Fukunaga is a hardcore Christian fundamentalist to the point he started a Christian film studio with Rick Santorum. So is Vic. That is likely why a lot of it got glossed over. It probably would have still gotten glossed over except

B) Vic landed the lead role in a reasonably large and popular animated film. This put him into the spotlight enough that his dirty laundry got aired and unlike the previous times it wasn't just something that could be ignored.

The "someone was made about yaoi fanart" stuff is his fanbase trying to downplay the poo poo he's been doing for years because it finally came to a head. I have no doubts the dude refused to sign yaoi fanart because, again, hardcore Christian fundamentalist, but it's being used as a distraction for the more serious "oh also he harrassed women" aspect. Other Funimation voice actors have come out and said that he's either a piece of poo poo *or he directly harassed them.*

Here is the voice actress of Bulma saying as much:
https://twitter.com/Rialisms/status/1093275331929296897

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 9, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

This has been around for years. Stories of him being inappropriate with women, especially underage fans, were pretty commonplace since *at least* his Edward Elric days. Like I remember people discussing being uncomfortable with him being Junpei in Persona 3 for that reason if you want an idea of how far back this goes. This isn't some made-up false rumor thing, there are photos/videos/etc.

If you want an explanation for why this blew up, it's twofold:

A) Vic was close to Gen Fukunaga, Funimation's GM until literally the start of this month. Fukunaga is a hardcore Christian fundamentalist to the point he started a Christian film studio with Rick Santorum. So is Vic. That is likely why a lot of it got glossed over. It probably would have still gotten glossed over except

B) Vic landed the lead role in a reasonably large and popular animated film. This put him into the spotlight enough that his dirty laundry got aired and unlike the previous times it wasn't just something that could be ignored.

Oof. Well, I dug up a forum compiling lots of stories about him which I didn't see before. Assuming even some of those are true, that's a drat shame. Thanks for the explanation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Oof. Well, I dug up a forum compiling lots of stories about him which I didn't see before. Assuming even some of those are true, that's a drat shame. Thanks for the explanation.

Is all good. Sorry if I sounded harsh, it wasn't aimed at you, just general frustration over the situation and how people are a big enough fan of Man Who Played Funny Tiny Alchemy Boy that they're forming a defense force and spreading enough misinformation that people are hearing "an angry fan was mad about yaoi" as the reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

dirksteadfast posted:

Disney Channel in the Philippines has a lot of weird, low-budget CGI shows that address issues like...bribery? And the government agency to call if you catch someone committing bribery? (Traveling with a toddler for context)

Also, I don’t know if it’s specific to the Philippines, but the edit of A Goofy Movie I saw is abysmal. The whole thing is at like 1.25x speed, almost all moments without dialogue or action are edited out so the pacing is really chaotic, and they edited out words like “dork” and “doofus”. Not censored or replaced, there’s just a hard cut.

I think it was the Phillippines app that also had the Legend of the Three Caballeros drop without warning on it; a complete show start to finish in English that as far as anyone knows Disney has no plans to release anywhere else. (maybe because it'd conflict with the new Ducktales?)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ImpAtom posted:

Is all good. Sorry if I sounded harsh, it wasn't aimed at you, just general frustration over the situation and how people are a big enough fan of Man Who Played Funny Tiny Alchemy Boy that they're forming a defense force and spreading enough misinformation that people are hearing "an angry fan was mad about yaoi" as the reason.

Especially given his Edward actually sucks, but yeah a 52-year old man should not be jumping on the backs of people without warning to slam his crotch against the guy's neck, nor should he be inviting underaged girls to his hotel, or have his mommy ask his fans to gather addresses of people who criticize him acting inappropriately.

He also has a loooong history of being rude to Con staffers, hogging autograph time meant to be shared with VAs, general showboating and egomaniac behavior because he's the kind of pathetic douchebag who needs his ego boosted by naive teenage girls.

But yeah there's so many people trying to underplay it or blame the victims for not speaking up sooner when in fact many did and were dismissed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I, a teen girl, heard rough things about him at Anime Expo.... 2006? Shameful days.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I am so late to the party but I just watched Incredibles 2 for the first time and the action scenes have no right to be that good.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Shneak posted:

I am so late to the party but I just watched Incredibles 2 for the first time and the action scenes have no right to be that good.

It's so much better than the first movie, fight me.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The Lego Movie 2 is about half as good as the original. Parts of it were awful.

Don't want to color anyone's opinions.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Everything is Average.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Boo. I'm still going to go to it, at least.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Considering the director is responsible for Male Gigolo with Rob Schneider and one of the Alvin and the Chipmunks sequels, it being only partly awful seems like a humongous victory.

Haven't seen it yet. Only about 1 in 20 screenings in Stockholm is in English.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I feel like it's being hurt by unfavorable comparisons to the first movie, which exceeded negative expectations, but it does have issues outside of that. Slow to get started, feels a bit too reliant on pop culture gags, and being the fourth overall lego movie means there's less fresh new stuff to do with the visual/animation style. There's also the strong shift towards being more of a musical and more frame story stuff, which I could see being polarizing. I'm a fan of musicals so I loved that aspect to it and once it actually got going it stayed strong through to the finish, which was a welcome surprise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the biggest issue with it is just... not much happens. I went over what happens in the film and honestly it's basically nothing. The trailer sums up the first 20 minutes or so in 3 minutes and after that it's slow and meandering and leading up to something so obviously the little kid behind me in the theater was guessing aloud what would happen.

It feels like the movie was supposed to have three acts and instead it has two spread out like too little butter over toast.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the second lego movie was not as funny as the first one and naturally didn't have the twists the original did, but it was still absolutely enjoyable and definitely got a dozen or more hearty chuckles out of me. Watevra Wanabe was an extremely creative and perfect character for the series, too. The recurring banana character gag was surprisingly good, I was expecting that one to...fall flat, but the way he freaked out constantly was still really entertaining, especially the ones on the cake. I'll always be a sucker for the way they animate these movies too, it's especially noticeable with his legs when they go from straight rods to wobbly, it's swapping between a lego rod to a lego tentacle etc to create a wobble effect. Always appreciated that extra level they go for it. The music was mostly real great too, no Everything Is Awesome, but the This Song's Stuck In Your Head gag was a good one

It also had lots of little things for lego fans specifically. Like, the destroyed wasteland that the Duplo monsters are harvesting for parts are vast piles of often-yellowed Old Grey bricks, from before they switched to the Blue-Grey shade they use now due to the old grey plastic mixture yellowing with age like old Super Nintendos do, or the workers toiling in the factory being all Fabuland minifigs was honestly such an obscure thing that I haven't thought of in like 20 years. Or the specific way Friends minifigs walk because they're so poorly designed, it's hilarious.

There were only a few pop culture references that I felt were truly just shoved roughly into the movie, and even then some of those(like Ruth Bader Ginsburg who I want a minifig of) were fine since they were only there for a split second. Movie certainly made me want to pick up some of the sets, like Rex's ships(complete with skateboarding velociraptors), Apocalypseburg, Ultrakatty, etc. I already picked up some of the Benny's Space Squads because it's just a Classic Space minifig pack and I'm all about that, even has a new hot pink space suit spaceperson!

edit: I do kinda think they might've wanted to actually end it with them getting put in the storage bin, and then Lego Movie 3 could be the son or daughter or both as adults busting out of their Dark Ages and bringing the gang back together again, but I understand it's a kid's movie and that would've been pretty bleak for a lot of the audience that was there :v:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 10, 2019

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I enjoyed The Lego Movie 2 but yeah definitely doesn't touch the first. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Jon Lajoie wrote the music.

Vest Friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It should also be noted that the credits sequence was loving incredible. Holy moly I want to see a building-of for that monstrosity.