Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bakanogami posted:

After the double combo of Goblin Slayer and Shield Hero, are there any other really bad isekai they might adapt?

I know Arifureta is getting an anime soon

Arifureta was really good in the first volume imo, taking a serious nosedive during and after the second. I can't really hate Yakuza bunnymen though. The worst crime it has is that it fell into the same trope that it establishes a desire to avoid early on.

There's been a handful of other isekais I picked up because the cover looked cool, but the story immediately turned to poo poo, that were way way worse than Goblin slayer and Shield Hero. One of them was a lovely one where a guy is resurrected with memory of how to make firearms cause he is a gun-otaku, and he grows up along with a white-haired beastgirl and set out to make his own way in life and is immediately made into a slave etc etc.

I just got really fed up with it because it draws mouths in a really bizarre way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
didnt the ten thousand chinese slayer sword isekai get a anime greenlight?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oh god that's actually really likely to be picked up since Slime anime is printing paper isn't it

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

drjuggalo posted:

didnt the ten thousand chinese slayer sword isekai get a anime greenlight?

And promptly canned for that very reason with VA's straight up walking because they found that poo poo THAT BAD.

mycot posted:

Oh god that's actually really likely to be picked up since Slime anime is printing paper isn't it

It already has a mobile game I think, but that's separate from Slime's thing(will explain in the thread for series). That and neither the LN or manga have any real moving power that I can see, but I CAN see crunchy picking it up based on popularity like they did with Shield Douche.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mordaedil posted:

Arifureta was really good in the first volume imo, taking a serious nosedive during and after the second. I can't really hate Yakuza bunnymen though. The worst crime it has is that it fell into the same trope that it establishes a desire to avoid early on.

There's been a handful of other isekais I picked up because the cover looked cool, but the story immediately turned to poo poo, that were way way worse than Goblin slayer and Shield Hero. One of them was a lovely one where a guy is resurrected with memory of how to make firearms cause he is a gun-otaku, and he grows up along with a white-haired beastgirl and set out to make his own way in life and is immediately made into a slave etc etc.

I just got really fed up with it because it draws mouths in a really bizarre way.

What was the trope it tried to avoid if I may ask?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Chosen protagonist with a harem. Early on it kinda follows the standard summoning thing, but he is offed by one of his classmates and has to pretty literally climb out of hell while constantly killing himself.

It gets really chuuninbyu, but then later it turns into a harem anyway and it blows.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mordaedil posted:

One of them was a lovely one where a guy is resurrected with memory of how to make firearms cause he is a gun-otaku, and he grows up along with a white-haired beastgirl and set out to make his own way in life and is immediately made into a slave etc etc.

The proportions and perspective are always wonky in that one.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mordaedil posted:

Chosen protagonist with a harem. Early on it kinda follows the standard summoning thing, but he is offed by one of his classmates and has to pretty literally climb out of hell while constantly killing himself.

It gets really chuuninbyu, but then later it turns into a harem anyway and it blows.

I'm starting to understand why that and Shield are liked so much. It has that BS "you vs the world" garbage along with being Chuuni as gently caress with delusions of depth. Like, people in Japan seem to kind of grow out that phase, but here in the US, fans just NEVER seem to leave that chuuni phase and even come off as encouraged to stay in it as a mark of pride.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Going back to the critique talk earlier, I think it's important that there are peopleb who watch the show unironicly with the intent of critiquing it. My argument comes down to the same reason we research and dissemniate information about history's worst attrocities: the have to be kept visible so they can be avoided in the future. Never cover up festering wounds because they only get worse and spread. Without push back, this show will be seen as a successful and lucrative outing, which means Crunchy will continue producing more of the same. And since Crunchyroll is likely the gateway for many incoming anime watchers, this will alienate and scare off any sane newbies, so only the same kinds of shitbag will filter through.

But the answer isn't to just take a massive poo poo on the show either. That only serves to tribalize the community and ultimately just makes everyone mad at each other. A public critique of the show would ideally appeal to their better nature and make them see reason, but failing that would reveal how hosed up they are to a wider audience. Imo that's literally the point of journalism: to bring to light something that the people involved either don't realize or don't care to acknowledge.

1) Nobody here has produced any critical analysis, just criticism.
2) Nobody here is watching the show with that intent either.
3) There is no real pushback against this in the west, crunchyroll are already likely to view this as a success if they're getting good numbers out of this.
4) I'm not even gonna touch the point comparing watching bad media to something like research on historical atrocities except to suggest that a sense of perspective is required.

The only effective countermeasure against something like this isn't a debate, it's a boycott

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Paracelsus posted:

The proportions and perspective are always wonky in that one.

If I had more free time, I'd make a big thread of images mocking the artists repeated expressions on characters.

I just kinda wanted to see more fantasy monsters being gunned down by sniper rifles.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Namtab posted:

3) There is no real pushback against this in the west, crunchyroll are already likely to view this as a success if they're getting good numbers out of this.
4) I'm not even gonna touch the point comparing watching bad media to something like research on historical atrocities except to suggest that a sense of perspective is required.

The only effective countermeasure against something like this isn't a debate, it's a boycott

Also goons are completely unable to have a debate or discussion about anything that's controversial.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Mordaedil posted:

I gave up on it right after he fell in the pit, Spider-isekai shows that the blue-mage path to ultimate power can be made interesting, but 90% of the time when the protagonist is eating monsters to gain their powers they just turn into a giant list of abilities that are either never used and/or only updated when the author needs an asspull out of a situation.

And to keep things relevant, one of the things Naofumi does do right is remember that he's got dozens upon dozens of specialized shields and comes up with new ways to combine their effects.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mulderman posted:

Also goons are completely unable to have a debate or discussion about anything that's controversial.

Isn't that the internet in general. As for something like critical analysis, I can't even begin to think of where to begin and I think that's the main barrier. The other is that you'd need to actually watch/read this to do so.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

To have a debate you generally need two sides of an argument and a reasonable agreement for :decorum: There aren't two sides to the argument here, nobody is defending shield hero, what they're defending is their decision to watch it despite not liking it using arguments that don't stand up to much scrutiny. We've established that watching it "ironically" is just a way to say that its being watched for the sake of it. The argument of watching it for genuine critique doesn't stand up when you observe that there hasn't been a single critical analysis of this itt. At best there's been a review which is not the same.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Basically forums user “irony be my shield” has a unique insight into goon psychology

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ardeem posted:

I gave up on it right after he fell in the pit, Spider-isekai shows that the blue-mage path to ultimate power can be made interesting, but 90% of the time when the protagonist is eating monsters to gain their powers they just turn into a giant list of abilities that are either never used and/or only updated when the author needs an asspull out of a situation.

I won't tell you to keep reading, because I don't like where it eventually goes, but he does end up combining his powers into a railgun and it just goes from there and he stops eating monsters after a while.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

mycot posted:

I actually envy anyone who was watching Irregular At Magic High School when it was on because it seems like a dime a dozen harem anime until BAM the imouto opens her mouth and recites all of Atlas Shrugged.

The good ol' days of Namtab posting all the really dumb incest and nationalist propaganda from the novels.
You dove into that shitpile so we didn't have to
o7

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

mycot posted:

I actually envy anyone who was watching Irregular At Magic High School when it was on because it seems like a dime a dozen harem anime until BAM the imouto opens her mouth and recites all of Atlas Shrugged.

Wait hold on, I missed this (And this anime) What?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

You didn't miss much.
The MC has literally one emotion and it's 'platonic' love for his sister, it's full of Japanese nationalism, and about 90% of the cast's entire purpose is to say how amazing MC is whenever he does a thing

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I had trouble recognizing the name until i googled it and realised it was the 'sasuga onii-sama' anime

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
there was a thread for it where some masochist goon watched through and reviewed it ep by ep. it's very bad

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Namtab posted:

We've established that watching it "ironically" is just a way to say that its being watched for the sake of it. The argument of watching it for genuine critique doesn't stand up when you observe that there hasn't been a single critical analysis of this it. At best there's been a review which is not the same.

Hero of Telling People Not to Look at Train Wrecks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this armor is quite good

for being easily disemboweled in

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

I'm not saying not to boycott, absolutely do that. There's always alternative sources to watch the show that don't give Crunchy money. To point 4, I think that's perfectly reasonable, but also think this isn't just a case of the show being bad. Valvrave was a bad show, but it was overall inoffensive. Even Goblin Slayer, for all it's unnecessary rape and torture at least made it very clear that those are very bad things and you should be hunted down and beat up if you do them.

This show is actively fostering a very dangerous male perception about women and young girls. Just because it isn't a person saying hosed up things doesn't make it any less dangerous. I say it's more dangerous because that ideology is being Trojan horsed through the guise of a "fun" isekai show and is reaching millions through a relatively reputable platform.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Raiad posted:

dragonball z is actually the story of gohan overcoming toxic masculinity to become a stable, intelligent family man

don’t know if he succeeds tho

One time he gets so drunk he accidentally ends up wounding his pregnant wife with a stray bullet

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
The funny thing is, they're trying to shave off some of the rough edges in the anime adaptation, but they're making it even worse. In the LN/Manga, when Naofumi buys Raphtalia, he is motivated entirely by malice.

Actual text from the Shield Hero Light Novel posted:

I caught the eye of the raccoon-girl. And I realized, looking into her eyes, how I felt.
Yes. This thing was a woman, the same gender as that one that betrayed me. I looked into her scared eyes and immediately thought that I wanted to control her. I thought I could just pretend that I’d turned Myne into a slave… If she died, it might make me feel better.
“All right then, I’ll take the middle one.”
“An excellent choice, and it makes my life easier too.”
The slave trader produced a key and opened her cage. She stepped out, and he put a collar around her neck. She let out a yelp.
I looked at her, quivering in fear, and felt a wave of satisfaction wash over me. I imagined that other woman quivering in fear, just like this, and it made me feel great.

The anime doesn't include Naofumi's internal monologue, so these details are all left out. Later on, when Raphtalia is reaching out to him after the duel, they added a piece of dialog where Naofumi admits that he was just thought of her as a tool when he bought her, which Raph forgives him for.

In the original version, buying a slave is a horrid act, beyond redemption. Naofumi never admits how he felt then, and he certainly never tries to be forgiven. The anime tones things down by making his decision pragmatic and forgivable, which is actually way worse.

Happy Shield Hero day everyone. Next time, on Shield Hero, Naofumi goes back to the slave trader and blows all his money on a random monster egg.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Maxwell Adams posted:

The funny thing is, they're trying to shave off some of the rough edges in the anime adaptation, but they're making it even worse. In the LN/Manga, when Naofumi buys Raphtalia, he is motivated entirely by malice.

The anime doesn't include Naofumi's internal monologue, so these details are all left out. Later on, when Raphtalia is reaching out to him after the duel, they added a piece of dialog where Naofumi admits that he was just thought of her as a tool when he bought her, which Raph forgives him for.

In the original version, buying a slave is a horrid act, beyond redemption. Naofumi never admits how he felt then, and he certainly never tries to be forgiven. The anime tones things down by making his decision pragmatic and forgivable, which is actually way worse.

Happy Shield Hero day everyone. Next time, on Shield Hero, Naofumi goes back to the slave trader and blows all his money on a random monster egg.

"But it was so emotionally moving when he cried and Raphtalia comforted him and she chastised everyone for being mean to Naofumi and said she was glad she was his slave because he bought her food after forcing her to fight via torture collar"

- Someone on Reddit/MAL/Anilisit/etc.

Holy poo poo that was hosed up to read. There are people online who said they've read the LN's and say they're amazing and other superlatives that imply depth, but loving hell man. That sounds like the grodiest edgelord poo poo ever.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 6, 2019

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

Isn't that the internet in general. As for something like critical analysis, I can't even begin to think of where to begin and I think that's the main barrier. The other is that you'd need to actually watch/read this to do so.

I think something I'd personally like to see wrt critical analysis would be a focus on colonialism since that's a p low-key element in a lot of isekai that I don't really hear much chatter around.

Although since it's kinda baked in to a lot of the genre I guess it'd be a better analysis for a lot of popular entries in the genre as a broader examination instead of a focus on one specific thing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

this armor is quite good

for being easily disemboweled in

the dacians defeated multiple fully armored legions while outnumbered in just the period equivalent of sweatpants or being buck rear end naked, only the royal dacians and their retainers regularly wore armor.

This is mostly because the falx was such a well designed counter to both the legionaries tactics and equipment, they still eventually lost their conflicts but even in defeat were loving up imperialists, victory never came easy to the romans against these dudes that mostly didnt wear armor at all.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My Lorica armor is both practical and sensible and protects my vitals, these barbarian won't know what is happening oh jesus christ my entire arm is gone help

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The dacians also loved to ambush which probably helped their success a ton, a legion was comparatively slow and only at full strength in formation.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

See also every time a peasant mob with just some farming implements or billhooks knocked down a knight from their horse.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

I think something I'd personally like to see wrt critical analysis would be a focus on colonialism since that's a p low-key element in a lot of isekai that I don't really hear much chatter around.

Although since it's kinda baked in to a lot of the genre I guess it'd be a better analysis for a lot of popular entries in the genre as a broader examination instead of a focus on one specific thing.

Agreed. I didn't really notice it myself (altho I don't consume much isekai) until I started reading Slime, which put a bad taste in my mouth at how colonial savior-y it is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Agreed. I didn't really notice it myself (altho I don't consume much isekai) until I started reading Slime, which put a bad taste in my mouth at how colonial savior-y it is.

This sounds like where we start talking about Outbreak Company.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tiddy armor is good

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I can see how he's "enlightening savages"... but there's a clear absence of exploitation from Slime, which was an integral part of colonialism. It's a lot more utopian, and they do genuinely need his help. The goblins are, for example, facing extermination.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Raphtalia gets her slave collar drawn back on? And they needed to do this, why? Jesus gently caress.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Onmi posted:

Wait hold on, I missed this (And this anime) What?

There is typical magical class system in the setting, where people who score highly in magic are treated better than those with low magic. As you might expect there is a revolt midseries. Unlike any other series with this premise, the opinion of the good guys is that poor people are just entitled and why don't poor people recognize how hard the rich people work, but with money replaced with magic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KomeradeCanadian posted:

I can see how he's "enlightening savages"... but there's a clear absence of exploitation from Slime, which was an integral part of colonialism. It's a lot more utopian, and they do genuinely need his help. The goblins are, for example, facing extermination.

Speaking as someone who hasn't seen the show this argument comes off to me like a similar kind of in-setting argument that people at shadier places use to defend the bad poo poo in shield hero.

(Not saying you're like them tho! just that there are similarities!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

Srice posted:

Speaking as someone who hasn't seen the show this argument comes off to me like a similar kind of in-setting argument that people at shadier places use to defend the bad poo poo in shield hero.

(Not saying you're like them tho! just that there are similarities!)

Well, I find the "problematic themes" of Slime isekai a lot more forgiveable because the hero is selfless, and wants to help everyone. Ignorant? Probably. Japan had a different history, and some truly problematic history just last century.