Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Archyduchess posted:

2) A less high-tech Batman could also fit in the JLU in the same way that Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow, etc. fit on the Avengers. It's a fantasy, a very capable human being can absolutely keep up with gods and aliens without doing much damage to the narrative.

i just wish that was apparent the scores of cool brain geniuses who "jokingly" kvetch about those types of heroes being on super teams and no i'm not bitter about Doug Ramsey shut up

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Batman is the Justice League's Jarvis.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Archyduchess posted:

In terms of sweeping retcons that try to square Batman's origins with the pretty self-evident fact that being a bilionaire is full-stop a lovely and evil thing to be, I think "problematizing the Waynes" is less interesting than "reimagining Batman as not being rich."
there was at least one Elseworlds book with this premise

quote:

How would Batman have waged war against injustice without the vast fortune of the Wayne family to aid in his fight? The answer can be found in BATMAN: THE GOLDEN STREETS OF GOTHAM — a startling new Elseworlds one-shot written by Jen Van Meter (FLINCH, Hopeless Savages, The Blair Witch Chronicles) and illustrated by Cliff Chiang (JOSIE MAC, BEWARE THE CREEPER) and Tommy Lee Edwards (DISAVOWED, Zombie World: Winter’s Dregs), revealing a Dark Knight born in the twentieth century’s first decade.

With the birth of the labor movements, women’s rights and the downfall of capitalist “robber barons” as its backdrop, THE GOLDEN STREETS OF GOTHAM is a tale that finds true-life events shaping a very different kind of hero. When a disastrous 1906 fire kills dozens of women and children who worked in a garment factory, as well as immigrant Bruce Vanekow’s parents, the young man assumes the identity of the Bat, pledging to fight the criminal negligence that killed them. Enlisting the help of union agitators, social reformers and bohemian theater-types — including a young female journalist and the leader of the Underground Workers Movement, known as the Cat — he extracts the only kind of justice the powerful elite of Gotham City will notice: their wealth!

But when a serial murderer begins preying on Gotham’s poor and the crimes are blamed on the Bat, Bruno must clear his alter ego’s name.

I haven't read it, though

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

i just wish that was apparent the scores of cool brain geniuses who "jokingly" kvetch about those types of heroes being on super teams and no i'm not bitter about Doug Ramsey shut up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bpCmbJeFqw&t=5s

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think my ideal Batman role in the JL would be Mission Control and administrating the logistics and infrastructure of the base, while also coordinating teams in a way that are best suitable for their aptitudes, and occasionally leading infiltrating, spying or information extraction on Earth.

But that's going to be a hard push when people have to keep thinking how he is going to punch Superman this time

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

FoneBone posted:

there was at least one Elseworlds book with this premise

I haven't read it, though
This is a rad premise and with Cliff Chiang art I'm sure at the very least it looks lovely.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I have been thinking for a while that it'd be interesting to have a Batman that hewed closer to Zorro. He's an aristocrat who has returned to Gotham, but his country is under the control of a dictator/occupying army/whatever, so in the Bruce Wayne role he's playing as being a cowardly collaborator with the occupying government, and as Batman he's a resistance fighter sort of thing. I think a dynamic where he's explicitly pitted against a corrupt or oppressive regime is an interesting one, because it means that as Bruce Wayne he needs to make sure he's maintaining his position in that regime to maintain the wealth he needs to resist the regime as Batman.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I think my ideal Batman role in the JL would be Mission Control and administrating the logistics and infrastructure of the base, while also coordinating teams in a way that are best suitable for their aptitudes, and occasionally leading infiltrating, spying or information extraction on Earth.

*nodding appreciatively* jarvis

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Samuringa posted:

But that's going to be a hard push when people have to keep thinking how he is going to punch Superman this time

So basically Oracle?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Batman without money is basically Rorschach.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
In short, Batman is a land of contrasts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Plastik posted:

What if you pull a Spider-man, and his tech is all stolen (either conceptually or whole cloth) from his supervillainous enemies and he's just better at using it?

Wait, what are you referring to? Is this during the Parker Industries era?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Batman is all things to all people.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

jng2058 posted:

Batman is all things to all people.

The person who wrote that chart but didn't include a source for those quotes is the Evil one.

As for the discussion on Batman wealth, can I suggest Batman: War on Crime.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Batman without money is basically Rorschach.

Rorschach is the Punisher. Like I'm not even sure there's much difference except Rorschach likes to travel light.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Rorschach is the Punisher. Like I'm not even sure there's much difference except Rorschach likes to travel light.

There also isn't a thin blue line cult worshipping Rorschach and painting his logo on their cop cars

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Lobok posted:

Wait, what are you referring to? Is this during the Parker Industries era?

Almost every Peter Parker Spiderman develops his tech while at school or working for Lizard or I guess now Ock. Like, the ideas are his but the time and the equipment is not. He has great access but he's dirt poor.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Rorschach is the Punisher.
The Punisher is basically "what if Batman used guns?".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Rorshach is The Question.

Well, okay, no. Rorshach is the third point of a triangle with The Question and Mr. A.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doc Hawkins posted:

Rorshach is The Question.

Well, okay, no. Rorshach is the third point of a triangle with The Question and Mr. A.

So which part of the Triforce does Mr A get?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

There also isn't a thin blue line cult worshipping Rorschach and painting his logo on their cop cars

I 100% believe there would be if he had anywhere near the name recognition of the Punisher.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

So which part of the Triforce does Mr A get?
Wisdom: Mr. A
Rorschach: Power
Courage: Question

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

I 100% believe there would be if he had anywhere near the name recognition of the Punisher.

I mean conservatives do love him but there wasn't a lot of extra page space for Rorschach to kill hundreds of randos with guns in watchmen and tbh it's probably mainly that his mask is hard to make good stencils and arm patches out of

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

The way you have arranged these offends and confuses me.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

fantastic troll, a+

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

The Punisher is basically "what if Batman used guns?".

No, that's Sam Fisher.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Darren Aronofsky's script of a Batman movie had Bruce Wayne forsaking his family's wealth as part of the character. I think it's up somewhere online

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

David D. Davidson posted:

Darren Aronofsky's script of a Batman movie had Bruce Wayne forsaking his family's wealth as part of the character. I think it's up somewhere online

Well he kind of does that in Batman Begins too. It's just that once he decides to become Batman he realizes he needs money.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

bunnyofdoom posted:

There actually is, but everyone keeps seeing something else.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Proteus Jones posted:

So basically Oracle?

Well, she's not there anymore, is she?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Cabbit posted:

There actually is, but everyone keeps seeing something else.

:thunk:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

Well he kind of does that in Batman Begins too. It's just that once he decides to become Batman he realizes he needs money.

Money is pretty handy.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Removing Batman's money superpower does change his character quite substantially.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bunnyofdoom posted:

If Punisher shot cops more often that problem would solve itself.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Elfface posted:

Lots of the super tech has been reverse-engineered from various aliens recently. The movies are terrible, but Cyborg is mostly made from a Motherbox there, and even in regular continuity I think he has enough New Gods tech to use boom tubes.

Batman needs a source of gadgets, but he doesn't have to be part of the 1%. Roll him back to being a millionaire with a limited industrial connection rather than a billionaire and you probably get more interesting stories. Sure, he's a genius who can build a car shaped like his face, but it also lets you tell stories where something of his is broken, or something.

How about this,bruce gave away his money to rebuild the city and it actually worked? He faked his death and now slums it in rougher parts of town.
Sorry it’s a bit fan-fictiony.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Monaghan posted:

That episode had a bunch of great moments, especially with Bruce and Ace, but whoo boy was that an unneeded and stupid retcon.

You don't gotta like it but Terry's dad was a redhead and his mom had light hair way back in the pilot, it ain't a retcon.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Any one of the three people in that arrangement could have been dyeing their hair!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Android Blues posted:

Any one of the three people in that arrangement could have been dyeing their hair!

Terry's little brother has dark hair too and the entire arc of the original show positions Bruce as a surrogate father. It was planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

You don't gotta like it but Terry's dad was a redhead and his mom had light hair way back in the pilot, it ain't a retcon.

And his little brother appeared to get some of those Batgenes as well.