Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Art is the purest of human endeavors. It is what defines our nature, and lies in the means of our redemption and enlightenment. Art is the medium through which we, simple hairless apes, strive to create meaning of a world that would otherwise be dark and unknowable. It is how we communicate our essence, and preserve our legacy to our ancestors. I value art because I value mankind. If you want to reduce art to the level of a wild animal getting high off a local plant, that is on you. But in doing so you demean the human endeavor.

So worldbuilding is the equivalent of science (as in the opposite of art)? Pure description without inherant purpose, without any interest in meaning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

lofi posted:

So worldbuilding is the equivalent of science? Pure description without inherant purpose, without any interest in meaning?

I don't get how you interpret science to be description without purpose or meaning

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Nerdburger_Jansen posted:

Worldbuilding being an end in itself isn't the same thing as bad worldbuilding.

Yes, it is.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't get how you interpret science to be description without purpose or meaning

as description without purpose. A map, rather than a destination.

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

Why does the creation of a world have to be in service of something else?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

lofi posted:

as description without purpose. A map, rather than a destination.

Science is a philosophy of process.

Science is simply a modern way of codifying the exploration of ideas, not a unique endeavor in itself. Curiosity is part of the essence of man, science is just a way to satisfy that urge.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

because why exist otherwise

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

wizzardstaff posted:

If you want to look for examples of worldbuilding done poorly in Sanderson's books you don't need to go further than the first 20 pages of the first Stormlight book, which are basically a walkthrough of a video game tutorial level. A character walks down a straight hallway and encounters enemies in ones and twos, using his basic magic abilities one by one to defeat them. As he does so he explains in detail what each move does and what its powers and limitations are. Sometimes there are cutscene flashbacks. Then there's a boss fight and the level is done. Even speaking as someone who reads the Coppermind wiki for fun, that takes you right out of the action.

There's also a quantifiable source of power that has a visual cue (the character glows more brightly depending on how much he has), and a conveniently positioned source of that power (lamps) lined along the walls for him to recharge.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Science is a philosophy of process.

Science is simply a modern way of codifying the exploration of ideas, not a unique endeavor in itself. Curiosity is part of the essence of man, science is just a way to satisfy that urge.

Fair, I should have been more specific, I meant 'scientific laws', as in physical rules, the equations of chemistry and gravity.

e: not that it matters, because after that it's half a page later and an irrelevant derail now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Because you're telling a story. Worldbuilding serves the story only in so much that it helps it be told. Anything else, and you're getting into the territory of those 'writers' who will talk at length about their amazing world and fifty outlined novels, none of which they've written yet but, hey, would you like to hear about the naming conventions of this species I made up?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Why is the creation of a world valuable if there's nothing in it?

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

Mel Mudkiper posted:

because why exist otherwise

Why not?

Say you think a world should exist in service of something else – character, plot, whatever. OK, but then why should these things exist? Can I demand they not exist for their own sake, only in service to yet another thing?

Maybe they're in service to the human condition, you say, and enlightening us. OK then, it follows that character can do this but setting can't. Why?

edit:

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Because you're telling a story. Worldbuilding serves the story only in so much that it helps it be told. Anything else, and you're getting into the territory of those 'writers' who will talk at length about their amazing world and fifty outlined novels, none of which they've written yet but, hey, would you like to hear about the naming conventions of this species I made up?

A story can be about a world, as well as about a character, etc. Places are not interchangeable, and they do not necessarily exist 'for' characters.

Just like the world, which is there as more than a stage for us to enact personal dramas on.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Hey BoTL, you go on about Calvino a lot, right? Where would you suggest I start if I wanted to read something from them?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Why is the creation of a world valuable if there's nothing in it?

Some people do just read RPG sourcebooks. The value can be in imagining your own characters in someone else's pre-built world, I guess. A kind of outsourced storytelling.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Hey BoTL, you go on about Calvino a lot, right? Where would you suggest I start if I wanted to read something from them?
A very good starting point for reading Italo Calvino (a man, by the way) is Invisible Cities.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Art is the purest of human endeavors. It is what defines our nature, and lies in the means of our redemption and enlightenment. Art is the medium through which we, simple hairless apes, strive to create meaning of a world that would otherwise be dark and unknowable. It is how we communicate our essence, and preserve our legacy to our ancestors. I value art because I value mankind. If you want to reduce art to the level of a wild animal getting high off a local plant, that is on you. But in doing so you demean the human endeavor.

What? Why is art the "purest" of human endeavors? How is "purity" measured here? Why is it desirable? How does pursuing escape harm the "purity of art"?

There are many other ways humanity construes meaning from the world, such as Philosophy or Religion.

Likewise, preserving our legacy is done primarily through History and Culture.

You are putting Art on a pedestal and defining clear limits on its function and purpose, without having done the work to justify either.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

There are many other ways humanity construes meaning from the world, such as Philosophy or Religion.

Likewise, preserving out legacy is done primarily through History and Culture.

because history, culture, philosophy and religion have no correlation to art lol

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Vegetarianism is not a retreat from modernity.

That's beside the point ("retreat from modernity" and "vegetarianism" are both things which are fine in themselves, but also associated with German Fascism through no fault of their own) but more comically, Nazi vegetarianism actually sortof was a retreat from modernity. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebensreform

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's just, like, your opinion, man

More to the point though: art can be medicine. Art can save and heal and palliate. That "wild animal getting high off a local plant" is the root origin of medicine. When I think of high and holy purposes of art, one of the highest is surely that art by which we help each other get through the days and the years, and which sets ideals and signposts towards a better possible world. If a daydream of elves and wizards helps palliate existence, why is that any less ennobling than any other purpose which Art can serve?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's just, like, your opinion, man

More to the point though: art can be medicine. Art can save and heal and palliate.

Escapism is not medicinal, it is at best anesthetic

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

And gently caress knows that's never a good thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Escapism is not medicinal, it is at best anesthetic

Again, not a meaningful distinction

see: anesthesiology, literally the highest-paid medical speciality

(we could go into a big derail here about the opioid epidemic and addiction but it would probably be dumb)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If your text cannot carry meaning, why write?

A noble sentiment that doesn't pay the bills. Seems like somebody escaped reality here.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Again, not a meaningful distinction

see: anesthesiology, literally the highest-paid medical speciality

anesthesiologists, despite their income, do not cure. I would also note their income is due to the likelihood of it being done wrong will kill someone, not the value of the act itself.

They simply make those who provide a cure better able to do their function

For example, particularly meritorious genre literature uses escapism to condemn it. The Phantom Toolbooth, for instance, is ultimately a usage of imagination to allow children to better navigate reality. Even the lauded "Hero's Journey" (ugh) is about conveying social meaning through fable. I have no issue with using the element of escape to help a person explore things about their reality that is uncomfortable, but if the sole outcome is simply to numb the reader to reality, it lacks merit.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Torrannor posted:

A noble sentiment that doesn't pay the bills. Seems like somebody escaped reality here.

What does 21st century capitalism have to do with the human endeavor in its entirety

If you only allow meaning to exist through the narrow lens of a blip in human history, that is your own problem

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If you believe that getting rid of pain, even for a short time, has no value at all then I find it hard to believe you've ever been in severe pain.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

anesthesiologists, despite their income, do not cure. I would also note their income is due to the likelihood of it being done wrong will kill someone, not the value of the act itself.

And yet some things cannot (yet) be cured. Would you deny pain meds to chronic cancer patients?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

They simply make those who provide a cure better able to do their function

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What does 21st century capitalism have to do with the human endeavor in its entirety

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Are you ever not huffing your own farts?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

earlier you criticized that I did not take arguments seriously

now you are arguing I take them too seriously

If you simply don't like me, that's perfectly fine. But don't act like your personal aversion is somehow tied into a meaningful critique if you simply want an excuse to insult me.

Also, lol, you are still salty about dragons

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Torrannor posted:

And yet some things cannot (yet) be cured. Would you deny pain meds to chronic cancer patients?

you are stretching the metaphor to the point of tearing

what is the chronic cancer of the human condition that makes your point meaningful in the metaphor?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I am simply giving my honest impression, which is that you write like someone who huffs his own farts.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I am simply giving my honest impression, which is that you write like someone who huffs his own farts.

I am sorry I am not yet so irony poisoned that I allow myself to take things that I care about seriously

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

To explain your own metaphor, Mel:

Possibly someone is in a poo poo situation in life, which they cannot escape from, and therefore escapism is a valuable thing to them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

anesthesiologists, despite their income, do not cure.

Again, I really object strongly to this distinction for a lot of reasons. Some are personal and professional so I won't go into them here -- I don't want to get distracted by the analogy -- but the ultimate point is that it's just not that meaningful a distinction. Many major diseases are not "curable," but can only be palliated; similarly, some realities are so horrible that simply numbing their pain is a valid end in itself. Some horrors cannot be "navigated," but only tolerated.

If you haven't had a chance to watch Peter Jackson's new They Shall Not Grow Old you'd probably like it, it really brings the horrors of WW1 trench warfare to life. At the same time, I found some parts of it (literal corpse piles, etc.) simply unwatchable. I can only respect the mind that conjured fantasies of elves and dragons to distract itself from those horrors.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lofi posted:

To explain your own metaphor, Mel:

Possibly someone is in a poo poo situation in life, which they cannot escape from, and therefore escapism is a valuable thing to them.

Certainly. But even then the escapism is rarely purely done to escape. Hell, read Colson Whithead or Ta-Nehisi Coates talking about fantasy and comics helping them cope with their experiences as black men in a racist country.

Escapism is not bad. Escapism for its own sake is bad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Torrannor posted:

Would you deny pain meds to chronic cancer patients?

Side note: insurance companies sometimes try to deny care using similar reasoning. It has to do with how you define "medical necessity" and is pain management really "necessary" if it doesn't cure?

Sorry, bit of a nerve struck there!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I just want to say that I love this mental image of fantasy readers as desperate, disease-stricken waifs on their last legs who just need a milligram or two of Cosmere to numb the terminal illness that is their joyless existence, when in fact they're usually perfectly happy with who and where they are in life.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Again, I really object strongly to this distinction for a lot of reasons. Some are personal and professional so I won't go into them here -- I don't want to get distracted by the analogy -- but the ultimate point is that it's just not that meaningful a distinction. Many major diseases are not "curable," but can only be palliated; similarly, some realities are so horrible that simply numbing their pain is a valid end in itself. Some horrors cannot be "navigated," but only tolerated.

If you haven't had a chance to watch Peter Jackson's new They Shall Not Grow Old you'd probably like it, it really brings the horrors of WW1 trench warfare to life. At the same time, I found some parts of it (literal corpse piles, etc.) simply unwatchable. I can only respect the mind that conjured fantasies of elves and dragons to distract itself from those horrors.

I am not sure I like this analogy either because it ends up at the conclusion that you are only justified in liking escapist fiction if you live in a world of unending horror.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

as desperate, disease-stricken waifs on their last legs who just need a milligram or two of Cosmere to numb the terminal illness that is their joyless existence,

I mean I'm not gonna argue with that

wizzardstaff posted:

I am not sure I like this analogy either because it ends up at the conclusion that you are only justified in liking escapist fiction if you live in a world of unending horror.

spoiler: we all live in a world of unending horror

Did you watch the State of the Union last night? I sure as hell didn't, I played Pillars of Eternity and talked with my wife about Gloomhaven

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 6, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Side note: insurance companies sometimes try to deny care using similar reasoning. It has to do with how you define "medical necessity" and is pain management really "necessary" if it doesn't cure?

Sorry, bit of a nerve struck there!

Again, you are stretching the metaphor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I just want to say that I love this mental image of fantasy readers as desperate, disease-stricken waifs on their last legs who just need a milligram or two of Cosmere to numb the terminal illness that is their joyless existence

that is how they are describing themselves though

I don't take that position, they do.