Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

phasmid posted:

The weird thing is that Ben Stiller can write well, even outside his comfort zone he produces some good stuff. But for some reason he always sort of reverts to the mid-late 90's milieu because he's more comfortable there. The actors themselves were the funniest part of Tropic Thunder. A lesser cast would have seen a pretty forgettable movie, imo.

Well, pretty sure that was kind of the point though since they're all big name Hollywood actors playing...big name ficticious Hollywood actors. They even set it up with the opening coming attractions. So, yeah, of course none of it would have worked if you didn't recognize the stars.

Comedy evolves and what's funny changes a lot. Like some of my favorite standups growing up (Eddie Murphy, Kinison, Pryor, Carlin) have all done material that's incredibly dated and horrible. I think this goes all the way back to Henny Youngman, Milton Berle, Gleason, Redd Fox, etc. I don't offend easily as a rule, especially with comedy, and I do think that viewing things contextually and as it relates to where society was at the time is a good lesson.

Even this board has made changes for the better and I've been here a while. I don't think we're losing much not being able to say "tranny" or calling people "faggots" and making edgy "friend of the family" jokes. And if you don't get why Robert Downey's character in TT is funny and a send up of an archetype then either comedy is not for you or I'm not woke enough yet. Admittedly it's a rather gradual, ongoing process.

Wait...what thread is this? Trying to think of a subtle movie moment but Tropic Thunder is hardly subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's also not subtle but if you watch the commentary track RDJ stays in character until the credits roll. Which is what Kirk Lazarus says he does.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The DVD commentary, which is amazing. The bit at the end of both the movie and commentary when he switches between his past roles like a dying shape shifter is rad.

Thing is the actors aren't all just self parodies. Ben Stiller is kinda late career Stallone, or action stars who've descended into self-parody and try to break out of it with dramatic roles. RDJ is a bit of Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Is he not just being Russell Crowe?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually that's more on point, but his method acting to the detriment of his mental health is more Heath Ledger or Christian Bale.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah I was more talking about the behind-the-scenes newsreel they show of him, dressing up like a complete dickhead and punching people on the street. Two behaviours that are Very On Brand for 2000s-era Russell Crowe.

Edit:

The Wiki posted:

Downey said he modelled Lazarus on three actors: Russell Crowe, Daniel Day-Lewis and Colin Farrell. 

In that regard he loving nailed it.

Memento has a new favorite as of 08:29 on Feb 6, 2019

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
What adds another small layer to it is that none of those people is australian

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sulla Faex posted:

What adds another small layer to it is that none of those people is australian

I was going to correct you on Russell Crowe, but welp, born in NZ (though resided mainly in Australia).

The more you knooooooow.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was going to correct you on Russell Crowe, but welp, born in NZ (though resided mainly in Australia).

The more you knooooooow.

oh yes, dont you worry. ive brushed up on my rusty

e: my ex-girlfriend's dad sold him a horse once and he wasnt australian either. little-known lifehack: when you look at the numbers, most people arent australian

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 12:19 on Feb 6, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Russel Crowe's frequently a back-and-forth case of both countries not wanting to own up to him. (doesn't help that New Zealand is kind of Australia's Canada)

The fake trailers and ads do a fair bit to establish the characters' roles before the movie even begins; Ben Stiller's character in a tired franchise of action movies, RDJ's in prestige oscar-bait dramas (with an equivalent of Brokeback Mountain, co-starring Tobey Macguire, cue the Iron Man/Spider-man slash), Jack Black while being partly just Jack Black is clearly film-wise entering the later stages of Eddie Murphy's career (with drug problems reminiscent of Chris Farley) and Alpa Chino parodying rappers like Ice Cube who somewhat inexplicably start getting into acting with mixed success and mostly the intent of cross-promotion.

So it's kind of a theme that for everyone but RDJ's character, the Tropic Thunder movie is a big risk they're taking; for some of them an attempt to revitalise their careers after various poorly received films like the catastrophic Simple Jack, and for Alpha Chino and the other guy it's their big break. And the whole thing can parody so many aspects of Hollywood's horrible and ridiculous culture because it basically has everything that can go wrong all doing so at once.

Weird thing is the drug cartel run by a child was apparently taken from a real life story, except in real life they were twins.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Russel Crowe's frequently a back-and-forth case of both countries not wanting to own up to him. (doesn't help that New Zealand is kind of Australia's Canada)

When Russell Crowe is winning Oscars and running charities, he's Australian. When he's throwing phones at hotel concierges, he's a filthy kiwi.

Same thing with Mel Gibson. Mad Max, Braveheart, Australian. Racist, drunk and weirdly religious? American.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Memento posted:

When Russell Crowe is winning Oscars and running charities, he's Australian. When he's throwing phones at hotel concierges, he's a filthy kiwi.

Same thing with Mel Gibson. Mad Max, Braveheart, Australian. Racist, drunk and weirdly religious? American.

It’s a classic Australian technique

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Schneider Inside Her posted:

It’s a classic Australian technique

Well, the first part is definitely Australian. The lovely second part was probably invented by Kiwis.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and Alpa Chino parodying rappers like Ice Cube who somewhat inexplicably start getting into acting with mixed success and mostly the intent of cross-promotion
Is it subtle or rather super obvious that he chose his moniker after a famous actor?

e: it's obvious as a reference, but I mean in that context

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My Lovely Horse posted:

Is it subtle or rather super obvious that he chose his moniker after a famous actor?

e: it's obvious as a reference, but I mean in that context

I figure that's a fairly on-the-nose reference to how Scarface is ridiculously popular among rappers.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Aphrodite posted:

Cruise was supposed to play the lead and Stiller the McConaughey agent role.

Then when Stiller decided to play the lead himself, Cruise asked to play Grossman because he still wanted to be in the movie and apparently that whole character was his idea.

What I had read was Owen Wilson was originally supposed to be the agent, but it got recast with McConaughey after Owen tried to cut his own nose off or something.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What I had read was Owen Wilson was originally supposed to be the agent, but it got recast with McConaughey after Owen tried to cut his own nose off or something.

wow

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The fake trailers and ads do a fair bit to establish the characters' roles before the movie even begins; Ben Stiller's character in a tired franchise of action movies, RDJ's in prestige oscar-bait dramas (with an equivalent of Brokeback Mountain, co-starring Tobey Macguire, cue the Iron Man/Spider-man slash), Jack Black while being partly just Jack Black is clearly film-wise entering the later stages of Eddie Murphy's career (with drug problems reminiscent of Chris Farley) and Alpa Chino parodying rappers like Ice Cube who somewhat inexplicably start getting into acting with mixed success and mostly the intent of cross-promotion.

So it's kind of a theme that for everyone but RDJ's character, the Tropic Thunder movie is a big risk they're taking; for some of them an attempt to revitalise their careers after various poorly received films like the catastrophic Simple Jack, and for Alpha Chino and the other guy it's their big break. And the whole thing can parody so many aspects of Hollywood's horrible and ridiculous culture because it basically has everything that can go wrong all doing so at once.

Weird thing is the drug cartel run by a child was apparently taken from a real life story, except in real life they were twins.

After I lived in LA for a bit I realized that the young normal guy who gets his big break is about 6 months away from turning into a douche just like the rest of them if his career takes off.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I'm sorry to skip the last couple of pages, but people really weren't completely missing that Connie Booth was saying "that's a fair cop" sarcastically, right? You guys are just pulling my leg?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Depressio111117 posted:

I'm sorry to skip the last couple of pages
nah, you're not, trust me.

"It's a fair cop" is itself a Monty Python catchphrase. And yeah it usually was used on the show when, well, it plainly wasn't one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
She didn’t sound sarcastic. So either she was a witch and realized she’d been had or the argument was sound enough to convince an innocent woman that she was a spell caster.

This is a world where rabbits will rip out your throat and feast on your flesh. So she was probably a real witch.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

She didn’t sound sarcastic. So either she was a witch and realized she’d been had or the argument was sound enough to convince an innocent woman that she was a spell caster.

This is a world where rabbits will rip out your throat and feast on your flesh. So she was probably a real witch.

More of a technicality

But yeah her inflection was not sarcastic

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Krispy Wafer posted:

She didn't sound sarcastic? What are you talking about? :psyduck:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Depressio111117 posted:

welcome to PYF where the posts are made up and human emotions don't matter

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Depressio111117 posted:

She sounded resigned to her fate.

I had to rewind that scene about 3 times and finally put on the closed captioning because my ears suck and it's a term I hadn't heard before.

Looking up what the internet says, most seem to believe the term means she was a witch and got caught. But if you want to go against Yahoo Answers, then go right ahead.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

But if you want to go against Yahoo Answers, then go right ahead.

*stands up bravely* I am Spartacus

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
I always interpreted it as her completely buying into the logic of the test, and essentially saying "Well I didn't THINK I was a witch, but you can't argue with the results!"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

"its a fair cop guv" Is a British idiom that means "ok you caught me" its not meant sarcastically and can we please not have this be the new goon face blindness or whatever.

Shes not buying into the logic shes saying "welp, busted" because shes been found out to be a witch and the joke is that the bizarre twisted logic which ought to be well in favour of proving the innocence of the accused (because all she has to do is weigh more than a duck) actually works.

Jesus christ.

NtotheTC has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Feb 7, 2019

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g&t=210s

lmao are you loving kidding me

how is that not sarcastic? i know this is an american-skewed forum but that's a bit beyond the pale

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

"its only sarcastic if the person literally finishes the statement by saying 'forward slash s', bud" - some literal genius

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sulla Faex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g&t=210s

lmao are you loving kidding me

how is that not sarcastic? i know this is an american-skewed forum but that's a bit beyond the pale

The word youre looking for is sardonic

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

yeah she's not a witch mate

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

You wasted your “haha Americans don't get sarcasm" bullshit card on a British person by the way so well done there.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

That last bit was sarcasm hth

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

it's alright if you can't interpret human emotion but don't go online and try to correct other people on something you plainly don't understand

it's also much weirder that you're a brit and still don't understand a very simple python joke, so i don't quite get why you're here

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sulla Faex posted:

it's alright if you can't interpret human emotion but don't go online and try to correct other people on something you plainly don't understand

it's also much weirder that you're a brit and still don't understand a very simple python joke, so i don't quite get why you're here

Haha, ok nice you nailed the sarcasm here

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
gently caress's sake it's funny either way

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

gently caress's sake it's funny either way

But think of the poor witch.

She turned the newt back into a man. Give her a break.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
When Tim the Enchanter says his name, he says it with a questioning tone because he's not really sure what his name is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This argument makes me wish I was illiterate