Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Polite chuckle from us manga/LN readers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Whether or not theres some justification later (do not spoil even in tags) or they missed out a better one for the anime, the justification given in the episode is Rimuru risking peoples lives and probably his whole city just because of some dumb 'its my duty' bullshit. It was very flimsy.

Milim is 10x as strong as Rimuru. If this monster is anywhere near her level they can't afford to gently caress around and it really seems like he should be out of his depth.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do like that Rimuru is kind of stuck with his deification by his subordinates. He's totally down for letting Milim handle it, but can't bring himself to contradict his secretary.

Plus, he does feel like it's kind of his fault the flying megolodons are coming. Also he seems fairly aware of how OP he is.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Rimuru also made a good point that this fight makes a good stepping stone for getting up to whatshisname's level, and that if he does have issues his bestie can help him out.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Beasteh posted:

Polite chuckle from us manga/LN readers

This is a weak arc and I kinda hoped it would get skipped.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Gotta say I'm rolling my eyes at arbitrarily not letting Milim just solve the plot. She's right there, she's not doing anything and she wants to help. Surprisingly lame move for this show.
Yeah. But at least we know that if mr slime main protagonist can't beat the enemy she will just step in and handle it for him. But tension doesn't seem to be the point of this series at all anyway. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Poil posted:

Yeah. But at least we know that if mr slime main protagonist can't beat the enemy she will just step in and handle it for him. But tension doesn't seem to be the point of this series at all anyway. :v:

I am on my edge of my seat for the real source of tension in this series: who's gonna kiss dat slime!? Is everyone gonna kiss dat slime?!? Why is no one kissing dat slime??!! DOES THAT SLIME TASTE OF BLUEBERRIES!??!?

It's Spice and Wolf all over again.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Let me preface by saying that I haven't read ahead so I don't know if my speculation is correct but,

I'm wondering if he leveled up by eating the orc lord guy?

(Please don't post spoilers to confirm/deny)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nullsmack posted:

Let me preface by saying that I haven't read ahead so I don't know if my speculation is correct but,

No. Rimiru levels up by eating well balanced meals that include all major food groups as well as hardcore emphasis on minerals and plant matter.

This is an anime not about fighting, but about nutrition. Have you had your RDI of magic crystals today?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also plenty of exercise, especially of the magical variety by naming everyone he meets to up his magicule production and how much he can store.

That's right, Rimiru is a muscle slime wizard.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rimuru names orcs for reps.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...of-2018/.142998

According to booksellers in Japan, Slime is the #1 Isekai and Bakarina is at #5. All is right and good in the world now.

Also,

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-02-05/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-january-28-february-3/.143018

Slime is at #2 with 5.4k in Bluray sales. Second only to SAO which has 10.4k sales. All this stuff pretty much CONFIRMS it's getting more seasons. It's making WAAAY too much money for all of the associated parties to not want to capitalize on this.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 6, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nullsmack posted:

This show doesn't really run on levels, but predator still works, yes.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mordaedil posted:

Got skipped, but there ARE levels though it's treated as a sort of guesstimate. All monsters(and Adventurers) are given a letter grade ranking based on threat level and strenght and stronger than average monsters are given actual corresponding Tier names from weakest to strongest being as follows.

Hazard -> Calamity -> Disaster -> Catastrophe

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 6, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I meant like literal levels as are in RPGs, listed as a number between 1 and say 100.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mordaedil posted:

I meant like literal levels as are in RPGs, listed as a number between 1 and say 100.

Oh yeah, there's nothing like that. There are power levels like in DBZ, but that just go back into the guesstimate thing I mentioned earlier.

Also, equality.

https://imgur.com/a/f9Znyay?desktop=1

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

doomrider7 posted:

Hazard>Calamity>Disaster>Catastrophe

Think you wanted less than signs there, chief.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

paragon1 posted:

Think you wanted less than signs there, chief.

Yeah it's supposed to be arrows in escalation. Using the "less than" arrows just looks weird to me.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

doomrider7 posted:

Oh yeah, there's nothing like that. There are power levels like in DBZ, but that just go back into the guesstimate thing I mentioned earlier.

Also, equality.

https://imgur.com/a/f9Znyay?desktop=1

Who (didn't) wore it better?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mulderman posted:

Who (didn't) wore it better?

Question for the ages.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I mean the whole thing feels like an RPG.
For instance, there's the Predator skill that lets him absorb skills from other monsters.
There's just no UI. Except for the Alexa skill.
Even naming monsters causes their level to go up based on the level of the namer, when Rimuru names them they completely evolve into a new class even.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

A lot of Isekai feel like they're based on rpgs i never had the chance to play. Like every isekai where taking fire damage results in gaining fire resistance, or skill merging stuff.

EDIT: honestly i think its almost all of them that are like that, and they all seem to be based on either the same game or an rpg subgenre thats really prominent in Japan that i haven't had any exposure to

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 6, 2019

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mordaedil posted:

They have full-on power level numbers later on.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nullsmack posted:

I mean the whole thing feels like an RPG.
For instance, there's the Predator skill that lets him absorb skills from other monsters.
There's just no UI. Except for the Alexa skill.
Even naming monsters causes their level to go up based on the level of the namer, when Rimuru names them they completely evolve into a new class even.

Think all of those wonderful JRPG's of the 90's and early 00's like Breath of Fire, Secret of Mana, Tales of "...", Lunar, Wild Arms, Terranigma, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, Disgaea along with anime like Lodoss War, El Hazard, Slayers and the such and imagine someone took all the fun and cool stuff from there and mixed in some Sid Meyer's Civilization into it. That's basically the series in a nutshell. There's a strong feeling of affection across three mediums for these things. They even got the guys from Lodoss War to do some character designs for Episode 4 so those elf imagine spots that looked like Deedlit and Pirotess were 100% intentional(some of the others resembled Zelda and Malon from LoZ and Lafiel from Crest of the Stars).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

They have full-on power level numbers later on.

How do you even measure magical power? Chickens-roasted-per-hour capability?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

nielsm posted:

How do you even measure magical power? Chickens-roasted-per-hour capability?

If that's the measurement we should just be able to trivially convert to watts or joules depending on whether we want power or energy. Roasting a chicken requires about 37.7 watts for a period of one hour, giving us about 136 kilojoules as an equivalent. Or 37.7 watthours if you prefer that measurement.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You just count the magicules, duh

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Sindai posted:

You just count the magicules, duh

Replace the word 'calories' with 'magicules' and the world looks much more delicious to a predatory slime.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

A lot of Isekai feel like they're based on rpgs i never had the chance to play. Like every isekai where taking fire damage results in gaining fire resistance, or skill merging stuff.

EDIT: honestly i think its almost all of them that are like that, and they all seem to be based on either the same game or an rpg subgenre thats really prominent in Japan that i haven't had any exposure to

Yes, it's Dragon Quest. Dragon Warrior in the west, we didn't get all of them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Are early Dragon Quest games really that... modular? What it reminds me most of is Final Fantasy 2 if FF2 had infinitely more things you could level

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Early dragon quest's main draw was that they had art drawn and nicely rendered in 8-bits by Akira Toriyama.

They were somehow more basic and lacking in personality than Final Fantasy 1.

Except the dialog in the English version which was written in ye olde english.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They're definitely called Dragon Quest these days and the original predated FF1.

The "practice an action/get hit a bunch to raise stats" is probably inspired by Final Fantasy II on Famicom, of which the SaGa series is the spiritual successor.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

A lot of isekai follow the dq formula. Named Hero vs Demon King. Stats, abilities, leveling, a whole lot of grinding. Demon king has x number of subordinates you must beat before you can face him and he has a final form. You must collect the former heros equipment to do so. Theres a lot of little nods like that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
To be fair, the almost accidental path to being OP of Rimiru reminds me more of Elder Scrolls. Rolling around the cave and eating everything was just Rimiru holding down the jump key, followed by the cast minor spell key for 4 hours. Becoming bros with Veldora is the equivalent of getting Azura's Star, and then he went and did some game breaking enchants.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Watch with me in Darryl: https://www.rabb.it/s/9oross

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yay I got there in time! Fun episode!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

Yay I got there in time! Fun episode!

I hate the changes Rabbit has made. It's so confusing now. Last time I'll be doing in any case, since my Crunchy expires this week. A lot of stuff is not quite going to make sense from previous skipped content and some things got trimmed out like an explanation by Geld about who these guys are including adding all of the sketches of the Clown Troupe. Next episode title worries me a LOT since it means a LOOOOOOOOOOT of stuff(mostly world building and character stuff) could be grtting skipped which REALLY loving sucks.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

doomrider7 posted:

I hate the changes Rabbit has made. It's so confusing now. Last time I'll be doing in any case, since my Crunchy expires this week. A lot of stuff is not quite going to make sense from previous skipped content and some things got trimmed out like an explanation by Geld about who these guys are including adding all of the sketches of the Clown Troupe. Next episode title worries me a LOT since it means a LOOOOOOOOOOT of stuff(mostly world building and character stuff) could be grtting skipped which REALLY loving sucks.
Edit: No wait I know what it is. It means we're rushing straight to volume 5!!

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 11, 2019

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
The "use skills to level them up" mechanics are probably based more on a certain style of MMO/MUD than anything further back, since most of those isekai are very much based on MMOs rather than single-player RPGs. I imagine Predator has its roots in classes which learn monster abilities, like Blue Mage in the FF series (Quina even learns abilities by eating monsters), although with any balancing factors removed. Most of the overpowered skills that isekai protagonists get are probably also based in the desire to give them something which makes it look like they're cleverly using something which appears to have limited application (oh, Rimuru is the weakest monster, but he's worked out how to make infinite potions by eating magic plants); the author then hopes you'll keep that impression even after they have enough variety of application to basically handle every possible situation, including things that were their initial limitations.

To be fair, though, Predator and Great Sage were established to be insanely powerful very early on, so in this case anyone watching knew what they were in for on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

Edit: No wait I know what it is. It means we're rushing straight to volume 5!!

Not even out over here in the States, but pretty much. It's condensing what would be like...3-4 volumes of manga material into about 4 episodes.