Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
whose idea was it to make guild cards what feels like impossible to scan

Anyways, team of Hero/Imperial // Sovereign/Farmer/Survivalist is working really well, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Did I royally screw up by skipping EO5? I tried the demo when it came out and I think I was just burned out of that style of gameplay.

I know each game has its own story, but would people recommend I go back and play it before I try Nexus?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

How are Zodiacs and Shoguns now? I recall they were pretty awkward back in 3 and I'm hoping Zodiac in particular has improved.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Shinjobi posted:

Did I royally screw up by skipping EO5?

Nexus is meant as a celebration of the series - but EOV got not all that much love probably because it's so new compared to the other games.
There are two EOV classes - Pugilist who got nerfed compared to EOV (with good reason) and Harbinger who got arguably buffed by turning them into a more support focussed class.
Also while the towns of the other games at least get name dropped at the start of the game EOV's town is not acknowledged as far as I've played. There are also returning NPCs from all mainline games (no Untolds afaik) - except EOV.

It's fitting that EOV is left out a bit because of its special setting but that makes it even easier for me to say: skipping it is not a huge deal.

However EON uses the battle mechanics from EOV - armor is now worth something and attack buffs/defence debuffs stack additively instead of multiplicatively.
It doesn't turn EO into a completely different game but it makes attack buff stacking a bit less important and turtling a bit more viable which I like.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Did I royally screw up by skipping EO5? I tried the demo when it came out and I think I was just burned out of that style of gameplay.

I know each game has its own story, but would people recommend I go back and play it before I try Nexus?

Well it doesn't really matter as far as needing to play it before Nexus, but you shouldn't skip it if you wanna play more Etrian Odyssey because it's fantastic.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Yes, sure, talk to the "Tharsis" soldiers in the Small Orchard, which is conveniently located in Lemuria.

I can understand the straight up copy-paste for dialogue for this place, but they could have done a quick look-over of it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was going to suggest that EON's inevitable LP use the characters from the older LPs as kind of a send-off, but we never did get a LP of 4, did we? :(

I would've done 4 instead of 1 had I had the right tools for it, I love that game, but this works out better.

Hopefully by the time I find a copy of this in the wild, I'll have finished 5, but no promises!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is the hero good enough to be a solo tank? My current party is Hero/imperial/protector zodiac/arcanist but I kinda want to run some other backliner instead of the protector if I can.

[e] Do benched guild members still get exp passively? I probably should make one of everything before I start

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DrManiac posted:

Is the hero good enough to be a solo tank? My current party is Hero/imperial/protector zodiac/arcanist but I kinda want to run some other backliner instead of the protector if I can.

No party has ever needed a protector in the first place, so yes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DrManiac posted:

[e] Do benched guild members still get exp passively? I probably should make one of everything before I start

There is a ring you get early on that does this but you have to have it equipped on someone in your party. Non active members also still get less experience.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arcade Rabbit posted:

How are Zodiacs and Shoguns now? I recall they were pretty awkward back in 3 and I'm hoping Zodiac in particular has improved.

Oh yeah, I forgot I was planning to respond to this.

Zodiacs are heavily influenced by Warlocks from EOV. They now have those Charge spells that change the AOE, with single target at Tier 1, and multi-hit at Tier 3. Their basic spells now hit with splash, line, or piercing, like the standard elemental spells have been since EO4. Meteor now works with their own passives. The most interesting part though (to me) is what they did with the Prophecy spells. Instead of Cancelling an elemental attack and then dealing that same element as damage, they're now a kind of Charge spell of their own, cancelling an attack and then boosting your damage next turn. So it feels really nice to use them.

Shogun is weird, but I guess it was always weird. On one hand you can build them as just a dual-wielding slashy man, and I guess they're probably okay at that, if a little boring. They also have some really powerful single target buffs that come with penalties. And they have this whole set of "command all the other party members to do normal attacks" moves. To me though, the funnest part is Shot Command, which targets a friendly row and makes anyone in your party with a gun or bow counterattack when anyone in that row is hit. Which seems a little restrictive until you realize that you can equip guns as subweapons and give your entire party a gun, making it a ridiculously powerful counterattack that can clear out entire enemy groups on its own. I beat the 6th stratum basically by defending with everyone and using Shot Command on my Shogun. You kind of have to build your entire party around that though.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Can’t speak for the Shoguns, but just going off the skill guide, Zodiacs are effectively EO4 Runemasters but with a Bash spell instead of Almighty. Free Energy is there, Runic Guidance is there, and you can still buff against elements.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Nice! I'm glad to hear the Zodiacs are doing better now. Aesthetically, they really interested me and I never got a chance to play 3. So then my party would be

Highlander, Hero
Arcanist, Princess, Zodiac

Any glaring issues I should be aware of here? I fgure the passive healing plus some Medicas will keep everyone topped off, and the Arcanist can grab Medic as a sub-class later. Around what level are the subclasses unlocked?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Nice! I'm glad to hear the Zodiacs are doing better now. Aesthetically, they really interested me and I never got a chance to play 3. So then my party would be

Highlander, Hero
Arcanist, Princess, Zodiac

Any glaring issues I should be aware of here? I fgure the passive healing plus some Medicas will keep everyone topped off, and the Arcanist can grab Medic as a sub-class later. Around what level are the subclasses unlocked?

You get Subclasses really late, around when you're maxing out everything you want from your original trees. The game is long as hell and subclasses mostly seem to exist so you still have skills to invest in 50 hours in.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I'm glad they did that, but that is also very much not the answer I was expecting.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

DrManiac posted:

I'm only on the third floor but right now my defensive Hero is doing great. I have a sturdy frontline with Hero, Harbinger, Landy but Physical Shield and Encourage keeps them alive and healthy against all the small critters. Only after fights against the bigger random encounter enemies do I need to actively heal. Or if something is rude enough to die before Physical Shield fires.
Which btw deals a gently caress-ton of damage at the very start of the game. Everyone was hitting for 20+ with their skills and Hero smashed for 45. Of course that's because Physical Shield scales with shield def and the damage has since been normalized to be more in line with the rest of the party. Still great to almost erase an enemy with your tank while your party is at its weakest.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Heros seem overtuned because of the lack of defensive options tbh

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

There is a ring you get early on that does this but you have to have it equipped on someone in your party. Non active members also still get less experience.

I've started the game with Imperial, Protector, Harbinger, Zodiac, Medic, but after the very first boss just flooded my DPS-Imperial with binds and then stomped everyone with relentless poisoning, I'm thinking that maybe a second source of healing / a source of buffs may work out better. Would it be a better idea to put a Sovereign in instead of the Protector?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
im going landy hero landy gunner survivalist wish me luck

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Though im really sad landies lost Parry. is it on another class?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Hero is crazy strong even on its offensive merits alone, it starts crazy between heroic bonds, wide bravery, and afterimages and just gets crazier from there. As for defensive, it doesn't seem that crazy until you realize the shield skills stack with after-images using them. Once you're set up you can offer a physical defensive buff that's greater than almost equal to Protector's half of the time with the added benefit of damage, on the entire party, along with some (albiet unreliable) safety nets. You can also, in times of need, simply force the greater AoE via force and a charge. There are downsides such as no walls and no "okay I need a free turn RIGHT NOW" force break, but I don't think they just seem overtuned, they are overtuned.

Support Shogun also is surprisingly strong and synergizes well with hero, since afterimages can be forced to attack by the various commands, and great warrior is nuts. Also helps smooth out your frontline until your after-image chance is fully online. Looking forward to seeing how nutty it gets with regiment rave.

e: oops meant the phys def is about the same. It's 30% with one, 49% ish with two.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 6, 2019

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Libluini posted:

I've started the game with Imperial, Protector, Harbinger, Zodiac, Medic, but after the very first boss just flooded my DPS-Imperial with binds and then stomped everyone with relentless poisoning, I'm thinking that maybe a second source of healing / a source of buffs may work out better. Would it be a better idea to put a Sovereign in instead of the Protector?

If you have access to binds you can Arm Bind the boss to stop it from binding people. I brought a pugilist myself.

I am really glad for my Sovereign so far but my team is quite different than yours.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Jimmy Hats posted:

Though im really sad landies lost Parry. is it on another class?

Shogun's Second Sword.

Libluini posted:

Imperial, Protector, Harbinger, Zodiac, Medic

I'm thinking that maybe a second source of healing / a source of buffs may work out better. Would it be a better idea to put a Sovereign in instead of the Protector?

Harbinger has full party debuffs (which are not that different from full party buffs) and a full party heal with a chance to cleanse ailments.
Although with a Medic and a Harbinger Protector might in fact be support overkill. Souvereign with its new Bomb skills seems at least a bit more offensive than a Protector - but only starting with level 20.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
have to say, the japanese voices are starting to get a bit grating.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Tired Moritz posted:

I turned them off and didn't look back. Problem is, the game still lowers the music volume whenever someone's supposed to be speaking, so it feels like the volume is just jumping all over the place at random.

Just finished the first Lab. The boss wasn't too bad, but I ended up with a couple people desperately punching away because they ran out of TP about 3/4 of the way through. It gave me flashbacks to the worse parts of EO2U, but hopefully it won't be as big of a problem when my team is past level 4.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Playing on Heroic or whatever the highest non-bragging rights difficulty is called, I've definitely noticed that enemies seem to be more walls of HP than I remember. I admittedly have a somewhat defensively oriented party (tank hero, highlander, nightseeker, gunner, sovereign) but it takes me like 7 turns to clear a 3 enemy random encounter unless I use AOE Force Breaks. Part of that is that the Sov doesn't really contribute much other than passive heals at the moment, I'm sure, but whatever the cause I definitely am struggling a bit to fight through random encounters. Everyone survives just fine but even the easier encounters wear away my TP more than I'm used to.

EDIT: That said, one thing I am super grateful for is that Force always starts the day 100% filled on all characters, there's no needing to grind it up before going to fight a boss. I have vague memories that some of the other games didn't do that and I'm glad this one does.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Prism posted:

If you have access to binds you can Arm Bind the boss to stop it from binding people. I brought a pugilist myself.

I am really glad for my Sovereign so far but my team is quite different than yours.

Yeah, my first idea was too rush skills to heal binds, but I realized too late that would take a ton of levels apparently. Looks like I have to look at this from the over direction, and put down my own binds. Otherwise, I'll be stuck grinding levels to bruteforce the tutorial boss, which is just sad. :v:

werbear posted:

Harbinger has full party debuffs (which are not that different from full party buffs) and a full party heal with a chance to cleanse ailments.
Although with a Medic and a Harbinger Protector might in fact be support overkill. Souvereign with its new Bomb skills seems at least a bit more offensive than a Protector - but only starting with level 20.

poo poo, I didn't look far enough ahead in my Harbinger's skills to notice this, looks like my Protector is definitely out now. Time to make some alternative teams to see what other skills I could use!

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Just finished the first Lab. The boss wasn't too bad, but I ended up with a couple people desperately punching away because they ran out of TP about 3/4 of the way through.

I also saw my TP bars shrinking faster than the boss' HP bar. Only by using all my Force Breaks did I barely get around punching the boss with only normal attacks.

Zurai posted:

tank hero, highlander, nightseeker, gunner, sovereign

You seem to be low on area damage for now. Parties like that usually get into their own when their single target damage gets really good. Not sure when that is in EON.
Gunner and Highlander also get some area coverage later on which should be enough for random encounters. But until then fights could be annoying.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

werbear posted:

You seem to be low on area damage for now. Parties like that usually get into their own when their single target damage gets really good. Not sure when that is in EON.
Gunner and Highlander also get some area coverage later on which should be enough for random encounters. But until then fights could be annoying.

Yeah, that was the conclusion I reached as well. I think I'm going to give my Hero some points in his AOE skill for now and rest him later to get the points back, since as long as he's not using the intentionally super slow shield skill he's usually the second to act.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

werbear posted:

I also saw my TP bars shrinking faster than the boss' HP bar. Only by using all my Force Breaks did I barely get around punching the boss with only normal attacks.

The lack of early aoe coverage is what is currently bugging me in my party setup of Hero/Imperial/Sov/Medic/Gunner. Well, that and the tp cost of the Imperial's drive skills.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Khisanth Magus posted:

The lack of early aoe coverage is what is currently bugging me in my party setup of Hero/Imperial/Sov/Medic/Gunner. Well, that and the tp cost of the Imperial's drive skills.

No-one really has any AOE coverage early besides Zodiac. Hope you like Wide Bravery, because that's about it.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
My Harbinger deals good area damage this early on - as long as the enemies don't stand in different lines.
Also getting Auto-Miasma for free means their normal attack is super fast and great for finishing off weak enemies.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah I turned mine off. They're truly terrible.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I dunno, I find myself endlessly amused by the "Quirky" female voice, which is a Japanese person pretending to be an English speaker who speaks only broken Japanese.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

No-one really has any AOE coverage early besides Zodiac. Hope you like Wide Bravery, because that's about it.

I maxed out Caltrops on my Ninja early on, which can clear entire battles by itself (assuming the enemies actually attack you).

werbear posted:

For what it's worth, I also resorted to auto-attacking the tutorial boss.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Big fan of the male voice that goes “Oops, we lost” at the game over screen.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Shogun’s Twilight Hour skill says it’s a cut attack to a line, but when I try selecting it, it only shows up as a single target attack? Is this a bug or a skill description error? Morning Star is an actual line attack in contrast.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Strange Quark posted:

The Shogun’s Twilight Hour skill says it’s a cut attack to a line, but when I try selecting it, it only shows up as a single target attack? Is this a bug or a skill description error? Morning Star is an actual line attack in contrast.

i forget is etrian odyssey one of those games that calls it Rows (horizontal) and Lines (vertical)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It’s lines. Morning Star and Twilight Hour both say they’re line attacks, but only the former is from what I’ve seen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

i forget is etrian odyssey one of those games that calls it Rows (horizontal) and Lines (vertical)

No, things that hit backwards are described as piercing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You don’t really have columns since when you picked something with piercing, it has you select which back row target to hit regardless of where the front row attack goes.