Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I already did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Lurdiak posted:

If Punisher shot cops more often that problem would solve itself.

I'd like to order a 2 decade-long mega-arc of this concept, please.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DoctorWhat posted:

Terry's little brother has dark hair too and the entire arc of the original show positions Bruce as a surrogate father. It was planned.
you can't be a surrogate father if you're the actual father!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
He was a sperm donor! That's the whole point of Epilogue! Terry isn't a clone - he's better! He's a real person, not a man-shaped disaster full of hangups and repression and anger.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just don't see what it adds to the story other than to have Terry go "You're not my dad!" and Bruce go "Yeah I'm not" and Terry go "Ok."

Even if it was planned from day one, it's a lot of weird conspiracies, assumptions about biological essentialism, and coincidences to stack on top of what was already a very compelling character dynamic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't see what it adds to the story other than to have Terry go "You're not my dad!" and Bruce go "Yeah I'm not" and Terry go "Ok."

Even if it was planned from day one, it's a lot of weird conspiracies, assumptions about biological essentialism, and coincidences to stack on top of what was already a very compelling character dynamic.

I feel like it's part of a trend you see sometimes, especially in big franchises, where they seem scared of having a new main character who isn't Someone Special. Basically it's not enough that your protagonist be someone willing to do what's right, they have to have some deeper, more important, more personal, and inevitably weirder connection to what's going on. I used to think that the old guard of 'classic characters' like Batman himself were immune to it, but you've started seeing more of that in recent years, too; the Arrowverse made a point of 'essentializing' Green Arrow and the Flash's backstories to tie them personally to the stories going on.

I've never felt like it was really necessary, but the way you see people respond to some protagonists that specifically aren't special shows that some people have either grown to expect it, or really need it to parse a story. Rey from the new Star Wars movies comes to mind, but I've seen other examples. My favorite is Vaan from Final Fantasy XII, because he's a Nobody Special protagonist of a game full of Someone Specials, and does well to show how that can work.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Boy, this is a whole lot of hypothetical Batman discussion and not a panel in sight, funny or otherwise.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kharmakazy posted:

Boy, this is a whole lot of hypothetical Batman discussion and not a panel in sight, funny or otherwise.

For a second there, I was wondering why the giant monster was wearing a glowing pink speedo.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
oh if we're gonna talk about American Kaiju we're gonna need to get the origin story of American Kaiju, from New Avengers Vol.4 #9 (Also yeah his first name is Todd, it's important)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Panels, you say?

When the Flaming Carrot wakes up from a night of meaningless sex and finds that his partner's boyfriend is banging on the door... he knows what to do.

(Flaming Carrot #5)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ElNarez posted:

oh if we're gonna talk about American Kaiju we're gonna need to get the origin story of American Kaiju, from New Avengers Vol.4 #9 (Also yeah his first name is Todd, it's important)

How do the Avengers (well, Sunspot's New Avengers) fight a goddamn Kaiju?

With a giant robot, of course.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
https://youtu.be/1vU7XqToZso

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I have read the Aronofsky Batman treatment and it sure does tick several of my boxes, but I sure do understand why it wasn't made, and I don't especially mourn it. It's essentially presenting Batman as a sadistic psychopath, and not in an uplifting way either. :v:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah between that making Catwoman a prostitute and Mother! I'm pretty sure Aronofsky Has Opinions on women.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Catwoman thing might just be from Frank Miller's Year One.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

How about this,bruce gave away his money to rebuild the city and it actually worked? He faked his death and now slums it in rougher parts of town.
Sorry it’s a bit fan-fictiony.

Well yeah but if fixing Gotham ever worked then Batman is no longer necessary and if there's no Batman then DC isn't making money.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TwoPair posted:

Well yeah but if fixing Gotham ever worked then Batman is no longer necessary and if there's no Batman then DC isn't making money.

Isn't the current story that Gotham was even worse back in the day and Thomas and Martha's efforts are part of what make it merely a very bad place to live instead of being a raccoon city situation?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't the current story that Gotham was even worse back in the day and Thomas and Martha's efforts are part of what make it merely a very bad place to live instead of being a raccoon city situation?

You leave Pawnee out of this

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DoctorWhat posted:

He was a sperm donor! That's the whole point of Epilogue! Terry isn't a clone - he's better! He's a real person, not a man-shaped disaster full of hangups and repression and anger.
"Hey, I just realized my killing a kid's parents for you to try and recreate batman is like, the dumbest thing I've ever heard." alone was worth the price of admission for opening the clone can of worms.

TwoPair posted:

I mean, there's an entire planet full of crazed supervillains. Though I can easily see it hurting sales figures to make a focus on Gotham city take up only a tiny fraction of his life, rather than vanishing every time there is a crossover event.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

But Batman is GRITTY and REAL

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bony tony posted:

But Batman is GRITTY

lol he wishes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gotham is really supposed to be Philly.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
We already know what happens in that crossover, just change the names:

Gritty Kills Tony Stark

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Here I was imagining Gritty as Furry Antifa The Thing, actually he's Orange Antifa Swamp Thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah gritty is antifa and batman loves cops so theyre rivals

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

yeah gritty is antifa and batman loves cops so theyre rivals

for the affection of...?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lobok posted:

Gotham is really supposed to be Philly.
Nope, not enough massage parlors and brothels in Philly. I mean, in CC there's often a couple of actual stores or restaurants on a given city block.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Okay, so

Best superhero origin yet.

(Flaming Carrot #13)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

delfin posted:

Okay, so

Best superhero origin yet.

(Flaming Carrot #13)

Ut.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Admiralty Flag posted:

Nope, not enough massage parlors and brothels in Philly. I mean, in CC there's often a couple of actual stores or restaurants on a given city block.

I saw a guy flick a booger at a squirrel in Rittenhouse Square today so I don't know, we might need a hero.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
sounds like you already got one

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

What the Hel are you doing, Odin, don't tell me you don't know his name!

Stewatu.

(Thor v2 #38)

(My brain may be broken, I detest Family Guy and yet I can't not-see that character in Immonen's work here.)

(Also, nice Odin-sleepspreading.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

By my eye and beard, no tragedy can eclipse that head of yours. I have lived for millenia and with all my wisdom I am not prepared for a dome of this sheer and absolute magnitude.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
His name is All-Dome, the Necroskull, the Annihilhead.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm sorry, but can anyone tell me what this is from?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Search your heart and tell me where you think a panel of Moon Knight dropping an F-bomb is from.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Toshimo posted:

Search your heart and tell me where you think a panel of Moon Knight dropping an F-bomb is from.

My heart doesn't contain much comics knowledge, I'm afraid. I like Moon Knight, though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Animal-Mother posted:

My heart doesn't contain much comics knowledge, I'm afraid. I like Moon Knight, though.

It's a fan edit. Marvel comics characters don't say gently caress.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Animal-Mother posted:

I'm sorry, but can anyone tell me what this is from?

Next month's Marvel solicits:
Moon Knight and Power Man are The Dunning Squad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Harley on sidekicks (Injustice vol 1 or Injustice Ground Zero, sorry, can't remember which):