Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

krinklechip posted:

Oh godsdamnitsomuch. Did a search, and not to derail, but WOW he lost his drat mind.

As penance, have some totally not a problem electrical work.

Time for this gem again.

Wasabi the J posted:

Time to post my jobs cursed images

This was to tie a generator into the facilities power.

They wanted me to gently caress with that if the power went out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

What happens when the people who try to stand up while the plane is still taxiing take a boat.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

Time for this gem again.

I've seen you post this before, but this is the first time I noticed the papers clipped to the electrical box. Please tell me it's something related to workplace health and safety.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's more a cry for help suited for a suicide hotline.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Coxswain Balls posted:

I've seen you post this before, but this is the first time I noticed the papers clipped to the electrical box. Please tell me it's something related to workplace health and safety.

No it was their bugfuck crazy instructions for how to restore power to a commercial office building and how to turn it off once power was restored.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i thought single use plastics were banned now

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That's a pure jet engine. Most modern jet engines are turbo-fan jet engines. There's a big fan in the front of the cowling that sucks in cold air, and blows it out in a ring around the super hot jet exhaust from the center section. This both makes it way more efficient and makes it way less noisy. As a nifty side effect it also keeps you from power-blow torching the runway apart.

Sorta like comparing a big air gun to a blowtorch, similar air-make-go-fast technologies, wildly different operating temperatures of the bulk exhaust gasses.

it's this though, plain ol' turbojets are incredibly rare these days, it's all turbofan

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kibayasu posted:

Really bad runway or really good engine?

You can tell it’s a really bad engine because it’s buried in the wing root and there are good reasons no one has done that for like sixty years.

But that means it’s an oldschool turbojet engine that gets its thrust from smaller, hotter, higher‐velocity exhaust stream than a modern turbofan engine, which makes it more dangerous to the ground surface.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What happens when the people who try to stand up while the plane is still taxiing take a boat.

Was on a flight where some did that and the stewardess became pissed. Full on SIT YOUR rear end DOWN NOW angry mode.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I was on an early morning flight in January that had just landed, and we were all sort of chilling in our seats, some people had stood up, normal stuff. We had an announcement come over the PA: "we've now opened the front cabin door. Could all passengers please move to the front of the plane as soon as possible; we've experienced some cargo shifting in flight and we're currently overloaded at the back of the aircraft".

That would have been a fun start to the day!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VKing posted:

AG3, not Ak 4, but that's beside the point.
Rereading what I wrote I see I missed the important detail: The barrel was pretty much obliterated and banana peeled into, IIRC, four parts. What I meant was the flash hider held it together at the muzzle, rather than the classic Looney Tunes barrel explosion.
That’s typical for fluted barrels with a muzzle device. Doesn’t look less ridiculous than the looney tunes version.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

On Sunday a twin-engine Cessna crashed into a house in my parent's neighborhood:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-plane-crash-20190204-story.html

quote:

So far, investigators know the plane took off from Fullerton Municipal Airport around 1:35 p.m., made a left turn and flew for about 10 miles, reaching an altitude as high as 7,800 feet. By 1:45 p.m., the plane had crashed into a house, engulfing it in flames.

Witnesses saw the plane, still in one piece, coming through the clouds, said Maja Smith, an NTSB investigator. Then the plane’s tail came off, followed by its wings. It plummeted rapidly.

They initially thought the pilot was a retired Chicago cop because they recovered a badge, but looks like it was fake.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pilot-calif-plane-crash-killed-5-carried-police-badge-wasn-n967581

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Time for this gem again.

Alright I’ll bite, knowing very little about power boxes, is that box floating due to super conducting magnetism? If so it should be fine

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Imagined posted:

Vampire is a badass name for a jet fighter.

This one was exceptionally spooky:

quote:

On 23 March 1948, John Cunningham, flying a modified Vampire Mk I, which had been furnished with extended wing tips, powered by the Ghost engine, achieved a new world altitude record, having attained a maximum altitude of 59,446 ft (18,119 m).[24]

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

:stare: I'm no pilot but did the person in command not notice the huge chunks of asphalt raining down in front of the plane before applying full power.
If there ever was a reason to abort a take off....

e: looking at it again maybe they didn't. That cockpit visibility looks pretty restricted too. Lucky it didn't cause the plane to crash.

I'm reminded of the Concorde crash in Paris caused by a small piece of metal debris.

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 6, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In front?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Initially it looked like some came in contact with the canopy and they hesitated applying full power but I guess it didn't get in front.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

When I first saw that clip years ago, it included the description that the plane had to land there originally due to emergency or something. And that's what happened when it left. Which is why it's taking off from an airstrip not equipped to handle it, and that they probably hadn't thought through.

Not sure if true, because I read it on the internet, but there ya go.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

That's just the langoliers, chewin up the past as the plane escapes to the future

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When I first saw that clip years ago, it included the description that the plane had to land there originally due to emergency or something. And that's what happened when it left. Which is why it's taking off from an airstrip not equipped to handle it, and that they probably hadn't thought through.

Not sure if true, because I read it on the internet, but there ya go.

It was during an air show according to the article posted a bit ago: https://www.expressandstar.com/news...-green-airport/

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

this doesn't seem safe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp935wmosuY

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

That entire channel is a definite pro click for anyone who likes this thread. It's amazing how much abuse these lego parts can take.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My brother in law is trapped in his third floor apartment:

schmug
May 20, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

that doesn't seem ideal

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

No he's not. He just can't get back in if he leaves.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

No he's not. He just can't get back in if he leaves.

Lmao I'm passing that on

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Is there only one stairwell? I remember hearing about an apartment complex locally somewhere in the Atlanta area that had people trapped indoors because of stair maintenance, and the fire department had to come out and get them down with ladder trucks. Nobody was in any immediate danger since the place wasn't on fire, but if it had been, that would have been... uh. Pretty bad.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

tactlessbastard posted:

Tell him to use cheat codes, flying, no clipping, invincibility, these are all options.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Tell him to use cheat codes, flying, no clipping, invincibility, these are all options.

Text: IDSPISPOPD

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

Text: IDSPISPOPD

IDDQD, IDKFA. :colbert:

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
San Francisco had a bit of an oopsie today:

Early reports say a crew was digging to lay fiber and didn't bother calling in their worksite to confirm with PG&E that the area was clear. There are about 3,000 people without power right now and the restaurant that was on that block is probably a complete write-off

edit: imgur is being a pain in the rear end so here's a link to the (very ad heavy) article in the SF Gate: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Fire-breaks-out-in-Richmond-District-near-USF-due-13595268.php

lol if you fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 7, 2019

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

lol if you posted:

San Francisco had a bit of an oopsie today:

Early reports say a crew was digging to lay fiber and didn't bother calling in their worksite to confirm with PG&E that the area was clear. There are about 3,000 people without power right now and the restaurant that was on that block is probably a complete write-off

edit: imgur is being a pain in the rear end so here's a link to the (very ad heavy) article in the SF Gate: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Fire-breaks-out-in-Richmond-District-near-USF-due-13595268.php

Not OSHA related but drat SFGate sucks

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Genderfluent posted:

Not OSHA related but drat SFGate sucks

it really, really does. if i had another option for fluff pieces about my old hometown to read when i'm feeling nostalgic i'd leave the gate in a heartbeat

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

This is extremely cool and impressive

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

lol if you posted:

it really, really does. if i had another option for fluff pieces about my old hometown to read when i'm feeling nostalgic i'd leave the gate in a heartbeat

Their old site was quite acceptable imho, it's only recently that they started changing poo poo and going full midwest ACTION19 "news"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That sound reminds me of old school F1 engines.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Sorry if this is a bit late, but for the goon with the trapped brother, this happens to be my specialty and I feel compelled to assist in any way possible. If, god forbid, he is forced to flee and dies in the process I’d like to encapsulate his organs in gel as a memorial, and for subscribers.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I am now morbidly curious what, exactly, your specialty is.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Grundulum posted:

I am now morbidly curious what, exactly, your specialty is.

SLOSifl posted:

I’d like to encapsulate his organs in gel as a memorial, and for subscribers.

Mouse assholes in acrylic, as jewelry.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

tactlessbastard posted:

Maybe it's the quality of the pic on my phone, but I can't tell what's wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

madeintaipei posted:

Mouse assholes in acrylic, as jewelry.

Please, the technical term is: