Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

StuG Jeebus posted:

Still though, you don't have to tell people everything

Yeah, kind of baffled by just what the gently caress he thought would happen.
anyway, X-Wing!

edit: I have had the worst page snipes in human history lately..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So about those tiny star destroyers huh?

Wonder if Qui Gon's gonna be in one :v:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I know a guy who's finally buying in because of the old republic stuff, so that's cool I geuss

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Kinda bugged I have to buy more Arc 170 expansions if I want to add them to the Republic army. It would be great if the cardboard for them came another way

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

ConfusedUs posted:

Step 1: Write a loving lexicon that includes the official names of every ability and interaction and timing.
Step 2: Write every card using only the words and phrases from this lexicon. Do not deviate. Do not say "at the end of the round" on one card and "when the round ends" on another.
Step 3: Write the rulebook using this lexicon. Do not deviate.
Step 4: If you use the same phrase more than once and it's not in the lexicon, add it to the lexicon
Step 5: Repeat step 4 as often as possible

Not to get lost in the shuffle but gently caress YES PLEASE DO THIS FFG!!!!

I first noticed it with Netrunner, where so many drat cards would word things slightly different and you had no idea if it was just phrasing or, every once in a while, had a huge impact on the cards.

X-wing isn't as bad as Netrunner in my (albeit limited) experience, but FFG definitely seems to be willfully ignorant of how to write a consistent and legible ruleset.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Kinda bugged I have to buy more Arc 170 expansions if I want to add them to the Republic army. It would be great if the cardboard for them came another way
There's people like me who own a Rebel conversion kit but not an ARC model. If I were to buy a new and readily-available Clone Wars ARC just to get the ship for my Rebels, pretty much all the included cardboard would be redundant.

Perhaps you know someone in a similar situation?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Voodoofly posted:

Not to get lost in the shuffle but gently caress YES PLEASE DO THIS FFG!!!!

I first noticed it with Netrunner, where so many drat cards would word things slightly different and you had no idea if it was just phrasing or, every once in a while, had a huge impact on the cards.

X-wing isn't as bad as Netrunner in my (albeit limited) experience, but FFG definitely seems to be willfully ignorant of how to write a consistent and legible ruleset.

I genuinely don't think they're interested in it. They could trivially get people to lawyer their language, hell, most of their top level players playtest for free and probably feed back repeatedly about technicalities of language.

That's not the game they think they're designing.

I mean, it would cost comparatively little in the scheme of publishing x-wing, to pay a technical writer to rewrite everything and give them a sol;id manual of lexicon. But then, they publish something like Keyforge, which is designed by a guy who was previously designing one of the most technically competent, lexicon-driven games on the market, and have several slightly different ways of saying the same thing, a mix of some keywords and some not, and generally a messy game that has several things which the designers have openly said are wrong, bad, or typos.

They just don't care as much as their audience.

And you know, we don't incentivise them to care by buying it anyway.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

thespaceinvader posted:

I genuinely don't think they're interested in it. They could trivially get people to lawyer their language, hell, most of their top level players playtest for free and probably feed back repeatedly about technicalities of language.

That's not the game they think they're designing.

I mean, it would cost comparatively little in the scheme of publishing x-wing, to pay a technical writer to rewrite everything and give them a sol;id manual of lexicon. But then, they publish something like Keyforge, which is designed by a guy who was previously designing one of the most technically competent, lexicon-driven games on the market, and have several slightly different ways of saying the same thing, a mix of some keywords and some not, and generally a messy game that has several things which the designers have openly said are wrong, bad, or typos.

They just don't care as much as their audience.

And you know, we don't incentivise them to care by buying it anyway.

When Magic first came out it had all the same problems with wording that FFG has, maybe even more. Richard Garfield had nothing to do with the lexicon of Magic, that came years later after it started to get really successful.

e: at least they had the foresight to actually implement it though. FFG just keeps finding away with these half assed rulebooks.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
it really is everything they make - boardgames, rpgs, whatever, they all have horribly presented rules

it's weird, because unlike, say, games workshop, it's not that they don't care about writing good rules - the actual content of the rules tends to be pretty good, and they put a fair amount of effort into putting out FAQs that patch their drafting errors. but they still refuse to put the work into drafting their rulebooks well in the first place

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
FFG has had over 6 years to get their poo poo together for tightening up the rules and getting some good technical writing going. They never will. It's almost like they won't do it to prove a point or something.

X-Wing is the funnest game I play where the rules feel like they were thrown together by a 6 year old telling you a story for the first time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Remember when they touted new templating and rules language for second edition?

Well, it's new I guess but not really very improved

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The rules langauge as written leads to This rear end in a top hat's WAAC argument

Bonus, NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP from him after the original got locked

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Holy poo poo that's a lot of words for something that is obviously wrong.

I'm not sure which I hate more; WAAC rule's lawyers who bend everything to their need; or FFG for having the type of lovely writing that allows that fucks to flourish.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

Holy poo poo that's a lot of words for something that is obviously wrong.

I'm not sure which I hate more; WAAC rule's lawyers who bend everything to their need; or FFG for having the type of lovely writing that allows that fucks to flourish.

Like legit, he posted this 20 minutes after the mod shut down the first thread and told him to knock it off.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Speaking of Paige Tico, her bomb still doesn't explode until the end of the next activation phase, right? At the same time as a bomb placed normally that turn? One of my opponents ran her last week and we were both struggling to see her value.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

StuG Jeebus posted:

Speaking of Paige Tico, her bomb still doesn't explode until the end of the next activation phase, right? At the same time as a bomb placed normally that turn? One of my opponents ran her last week and we were both struggling to see her value.

Yep.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

StuG Jeebus posted:

She's much more valuable because of the rotate and how it allows doubletaps out the front. A MG100 with Paige can start with arc sideways, shoot from front primary, use Paige to rotate to front, shoot with turret front, use paige to rotate back to side (to set up for next round)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
What does WAAC mean in this context?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Win At All Costs. Something you used to see in the 40k community, who’d rules-lawyer their way into victory at the expense of losing people to play against.

e: I think the term started in 40k, and people like that were why I abandoned that game in favor of X-Wing. We can bitch a ton about how X-Wing’s rules aren’t terribly tight, etc., but coming from 40k it was an extreme breath of fresh air.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 6, 2019

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Win At All Costs. Something you used to see in the 40k community, who’d rules-lawyer their way into victory at the expense of losing people to play against.

e: I think the term started in 40k, and people like that were why I abandoned that game in favor of X-Wing. We can bitch a ton about how X-Wing’s rules aren’t terribly tight, etc., but coming from 40k it was an extreme breath of fresh air.

SAAAAAAAAAAAME

Plus also cheaper, and honestly, less labour intensive.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Now I must repost one of my favorite stories ever. It's the poo poo-eating grin that really makes it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/V0gND

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Imagine being a person who cares that much about deploying an unlimited amount of bombs and thinking that by uncovering the loop hole to do so means you're Reddit Indiana Jones uncovering the directions to the X-Wang Holy Grail.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Reminds me of the old U-Wing trick in 1e.
Title said that when you revealed a red 0 stop maneuver, you could instead rotate the ship 180 degrees. The rule at the time on revealing a red maneuver while stressed was you'd perform a white 2 straight instead. So the timing worked out that you could start stressed, reveal a red, rotate 180 degrees and then go 2 straight.

Yes, it technically works, but is pretty obviously not supposed to work.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

TheCenturion posted:

Now I must repost one of my favorite stories ever. It's the poo poo-eating grin that really makes it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/V0gND

This is seriously the pro-est click ever. I will never get tired of the dude's poo poo eating grin because it's aimed in the right direction in this case

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

OniPanda posted:

This is seriously the pro-est click ever. I will never get tired of the dude's poo poo eating grin because it's aimed in the right direction in this case

Yeah I knew what it was before I clicked, clicked anyway, was not disappointed.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah I knew what it was before I clicked, clicked anyway, was not disappointed.

I've read this story before, but I will always read this story because it is the greatest. I am 100% pro "gently caress the assholes" in gaming.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

canyoneer posted:

Reminds me of the old U-Wing trick in 1e.
Title said that when you revealed a red 0 stop maneuver, you could instead rotate the ship 180 degrees. The rule at the time on revealing a red maneuver while stressed was you'd perform a white 2 straight instead. So the timing worked out that you could start stressed, reveal a red, rotate 180 degrees and then go 2 straight.

Yes, it technically works, but is pretty obviously not supposed to work.

I thought that was a feature, not a bug. U-Wings were kind of poo poo in 1 iirc.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Here's a fun interaction:
Zeta Squadron Survivor (34)
Hotshot Gunner (7)
Cluster Missiles (5)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Total: 47

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Fire the cluster missiles, use munition failsafe to cancel attack dice and recover charge, defender rolls dice and discards green token from Hotshot gunner, perform bonus cluster missile attack against other target.

The other neat thing? TIE/sf's are the only ship that allows hotshot gunner to trigger on ordnance, because of the chassis ability that forces the missiles to be treated as turret arcs.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
That is neat. I'm not sure quite how to make it strong though. I guess put it in quickdraw so you can hotshot 2 ships at I6 and then you still have a TL for the revenge shot.

e: quickdraw with 2 dice out the front is a bit sad though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

KongGeorgeVII posted:

That is neat. I'm not sure quite how to make it strong though. I guess put it in quickdraw so you can hotshot 2 ships at I6 and then you still have a TL for the revenge shot.

e: quickdraw with 2 dice out the front is a bit sad though.

I don't know how to make it good either. I wonder if 4 Omega Squadron experts could delete an Upsilon before it shoots or at least come close to it.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

canyoneer posted:

I don't know how to make it good either. I wonder if 4 Omega Squadron experts could delete an Upsilon before it shoots or at least come close to it.

They can do a max of 12 damage and an upsilon has 12 hp so if the upsilon reinforces then they have a 0% chance of killing it even with perfect rolls for the first order player. If it's a trip upsilon squad then they will be reinforced and have 2 evades so they might not even get dropped to half points.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

She's much more valuable because of the rotate and how it allows doubletaps out the front. A MG100 with Paige can start with arc sideways, shoot from front primary, use Paige to rotate to front, shoot with turret front, use paige to rotate back to side (to set up for next round)

Makes sense, thanks

Do we know when the new TIE Striker is supposed to be released?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

StuG Jeebus posted:

Makes sense, thanks

No exact date. We got a "Q1 2019" date once. Q1 ends at the end of March.

So ETA: sometime in the next 8 weeks unless the boat sinks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

StuG Jeebus posted:

Makes sense, thanks

ConfusedUs posted:

No exact date. We got a "Q1 2019" date once. Q1 ends at the end of March.

So ETA: sometime in the next 8 weeks unless the boat sinks.

FFG quarters have never matched the actual calender, but given that it'll be out with the Clone Wars stuff, and given where we are with previews for the Clone Wars stuff, we're probably expecting mid to late March for both.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I’m thinking I should makes sure to take some extra cash for Adepticon.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

If i have listening device on an enemy ship, and also Leia crew. What happens first during the system phase? Is the dial revealed before I decide on using Leia, or the other way around?

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

When Dengar or QuickDraw are destroyed (assuming their conditions are met) do they get their bonus attach?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

When Dengar or QuickDraw are destroyed (assuming their conditions are met) do they get their bonus attach?

Yup.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Remember though, one attack and one bonus attack per round, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Along the lines of that 'once per round' thing:
If Nein Numb ends up getting more than 1 stress during a single round, and he has a ship in his arc at range 1, can he get rid of each stress, or just one?

Like, he does a T-Roll, gets a ship in arc at range 1, clears that stress. Later in the same round, gets that crit to receive 2 stress, but still has a ship in his arc at range 1. Can he discard those stress also?
I seem to remember a 'once per opportunity" kind of rule, but can;t really find any thing else about it.