Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, part of it is just the coverage owning against everyone but Edelman, and even he didn't win 100% of his snaps (just close to it). But Hogan also got 0 separation ever and won 0 fights for the ball and kept getting thrown too. At least Dorsett runs fast and caught touchdowns the last 2 games, but I'm not sure he was even targeted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Edelman and Gronk caught like 90% of Brady’s passes the rest were to Patterson and Burkhead, with White catching 1

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, part of it is just the coverage owning against everyone but Edelman, and even he didn't win 100% of his snaps (just close to it). But Hogan also got 0 separation ever and won 0 fights for the ball and kept getting thrown too. At least Dorsett runs fast and caught touchdowns the last 2 games, but I'm not sure he was even targeted.

Hogan had 63 snaps to Dorsett's 26. :barf:

Nov 6, 2002

538 posted:

The Rams never faced a defensive front with more than seven men near the line of scrimmage — not even once in the game. Against a light box of six or fewer defenders, the Rams offensive line was able to generate only 21 rushing yards on six carries — a 3.5-yard average. That was 2.2 yards worse than their regular-season average of 5.7 and just a 10th of a yard more than the 3.4 yards per carry they averaged Sunday against a seven-man front. The Rams went from being the third-ranked rushing team in the league against these light and neutral defensive fronts — averaging 5.4 yards per carry in the regular season — to one that could muster only 3.4 in the biggest game of the year.

quote:

McVay, meanwhile, failed to aggressively push small edges, never going for it on fourth-and-short. The Rams also played sloppily, earning nine penalties for 65 yards to New England’s three for 20. Much was written about the experience gap between the two teams at coach and QB, and it showed. At one point, Goff forgot the snap count he called in the huddle and was flagged for a false start, an incredibly rare feat for an NFL quarterback.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
ruh roh

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1093204285175853056

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Unless there’s video nothing will happen.

Nov 6, 2002

There was no video for Ezekiel Elliott's sixer.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

There was no video for Ezekiel Elliott's sixer.

Zeke has a history of stupid poo poo, so he should be on thinner ice.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well Brown did throw a bunch of furniture off a hotel balcony.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

McVay, meanwhile, failed to aggressively push small edges, never going for it on fourth-and-short. The Rams also played sloppily, earning nine penalties for 65 yards to New England’s three for 20. Much was written about the experience gap between the two teams at coach and QB, and it showed. At one point, Goff forgot the snap count he called in the huddle and was flagged for a false start, an incredibly rare feat for an NFL quarterback.

I missed this (but I didn't watch the entire game). What exactly did he do to get flagged? I've seen a bunch of quarterbacks wave their arms and clap their hands and shout for the ball (Rivers likes doing this) and they never get flagged for false starts.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I missed this (but I didn't watch the entire game). What exactly did he do to get flagged? I've seen a bunch of quarterbacks wave their arms and clap their hands and shout for the ball (Rivers likes doing this) and they never get flagged for false starts.

He began to drop back for a split second.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well Brown did throw a bunch of furniture off a hotel balcony.

Yeah, but he wasn't videotaped sexually assaulting a woman, sooo.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Chichevache posted:

For instance, pulling down a girl's shirt at Mardi Gras which was indeed on video.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I have realized why Marcus Peters was so good in KC and so bad in LA. Bob Sutton is infamous for not giving his players assignments, it’s a huge reason why KC struggles so hard to cover receivers (see Chargers 2pt conversion in week 15, that AFCCG play where all the Pats route runners were wide open instantly, Eric Berry running around screaming at all DBs before every snap, etc etc). It leads to confusion, chaos and bad defense, but Peters is the epitome of a freelancing defender who prefers to read the QB rather than the WR even while in man coverage so he was able to thrive and do whatever he wanted, leading to lots of turnovers. Anticipation is his main skill as a DB and in LA i am guessing he is being asked to play in a more strict fashion

That's possible. IMO, the problem Peters had was that he was playing on a bad calf for most of the season - he didn't really seem like he had the usual burst he possess, and might've simply just been overthinking things. You do bring up an interesting point with the freelancing, though.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chichevache posted:

Yes, but does he have a blonde mustache?!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

weird Asian candy posted:

Yes, but does he have a blonde mustache?!

No, and his facial hair still manages to look dumber than Antonion Brown's. How do you even manage that?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

This is just a brutal indictment of the Rams offensive game plan, holy poo poo.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2019/why-the-rams-lost-the-super-bowl

tl;dr: The Rams literally called plays that matched what the Patriots had been best at defending all year, and avoided calling plays that matched what the Patriots were bad at defending all year.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chichevache posted:

No, and his facial hair still manages to look dumber than Antonion Brown's. How do you even manage that?

Zeke is a special dude.

sean10mm posted:

tl;dr: The Rams literally called plays that matched what the Patriots had been best at defending all year, and avoided calling plays that matched what the Patriots were bad at defending all year.

McVay'd

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Durandal1707 posted:

That's possible. IMO, the problem Peters had was that he was playing on a bad calf for most of the season - he didn't really seem like he had the usual burst he possess, and might've simply just been overthinking things. You do bring up an interesting point with the freelancing, though.

Yep the calf strain was big. I think the reason everyone forgot about it is bc Peters in every interview just straight up admitted he was sucking and never talked about his injury

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://mahomes15.com/collections/all-apparel

Mahomes has his own apparel line now, but like every modern athlete besides Kawhi his logo loving blows

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It reminds me of the old Silver Hawks logo from the early 80s and not in a good way.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

MVPat

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I still refuse to believe Gurley was healthy, he was clearly unable to cut laterally out there

Though it is amazing to see that Goff's entire ability to play good was based on having Gurley as a constant bailout option

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

sean10mm posted:

Holy poo poo he really did try to play 4d chess lol

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Patriots officially Schiano men, somehow become worse

https://twitter.com/globejimmcbride/status/1093162938612006913?s=19

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

sean10mm posted:

He quotes Miyamoto Musashi in this article that’s awesome

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sean10mm posted:

yeah, that was a real fun read, though i wish there was more analysis of the Pats offense vs the Rams D.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/vcsjoecurley/status/1092544491255324672

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Holy poo poo he really did try to play 4d chess lol

I don't know what blows my mind more, that, or the fact that Goff is totally incapable of making reads and calling audibles, so if you just wait until after the helmet radio is turned off to change your defensive look he just dissolves in a puddle of piss. The Patriots literally called 2 defensive plays a bunch of times, a fake "when the radio is on" play and the real "when the radio is off" play hahaha how the gently caress is that real?

It's all just so deeply dumb, but in a low-key boring way that probably won't be part of the narrative a year from now.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Glad the CHP showed up in force for all four remaining Rams fans.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

I don't know what blows my mind more, that, or the fact that Goff is totally incapable of making reads and calling audibles, so if you just wait until after the helmet radio is turned off to change your defensive look he just dissolves in a puddle of piss. The Patriots literally called 2 defensive plays a bunch of times, a fake "when the radio is on" play and the real "when the radio is off" play hahaha how the gently caress is that real?

The Rams were also too scared (kinda understandably) to go up tempo to stop this. I get it, the defense was always going to get tired when the offense did nothing all night, but at the same time if that's the chance you have to take to score then...well go for it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

sean10mm posted:

A+ article my man

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Grittybeard posted:

The Rams were also too scared (kinda understandably) to go up tempo to stop this. I get it, the defense was always going to get tired when the offense did nothing all night, but at the same time if that's the chance you have to take to score then...well go for it.

This kind of mystified me as well. It was obvious what was happening and what the potential fix might be and I wonder if communication was an issue with crowd noise or if it was what you say. But running off a few extra seconds only to go three and out doesn’t really the help the defense.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

They did keep trying to go for chunk plays too though, which does the same thing.

The Rams gameplan was so weird.

Not having a backup plan or adjusting by halftime doubly so.

Goff's 1st pass after halftime was straight into Hightower's chest too, if he catches that, the game probably goes to poo poo way faster and they look... well, just as bad honestly, hard to look worse.

Nov 6, 2002

We almost had the first pass of each half get intercepted.

https://twitter.com/Sportsidiot02/status/1092552065426092032?s=19

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I feel bad for the Rams and Chargers players, they've really been dicked around by ownership / the league.

Moreso the Chargers...

and man, the poor Raiders players.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

"We don't want to score too fast, or our defense will get gassed!"

*Go 3 and out and punt 100,000 times*

:tif:

e: Romo speculated that the Rams started breaking the huddle later to counter the Patriots shifting before every snap, but they did it SO late in the game that it was counter-productive from a clock management point of view.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 6, 2019

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

lmao

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Man this Super Bowl hangover is going to be off the charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hangover is being forgiving.

But lol at the the homecoming.