Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Torrannor posted:

Have you seen the new Africa map since Holy Fury?

drat, no I haven't. This looks really cool. Finally something big to do down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There are also quite a few gold mines and trade centres, though I can't remember if they were there before HF.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CommissarMega posted:

There are also quite a few gold mines and trade centres, though I can't remember if they were there before HF.

Nope, additions with Holy Fury. They're also generally more interesting than the Silk Road trade posts, since the gold mines can run out of gold for example.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Torrannor posted:

Nope, additions with Holy Fury. They're also generally more interesting than the Silk Road trade posts, since the gold mines can run out of gold for example.

They can also sometimes dump HUGE amounts of gold on you. I'm not sure what they scale with, but I recently got more than 9k gold from a single event

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I was playing Africans before they were cool. :colbert:

Because I'm a fuckin idiot.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Honky Dong Country posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Hey, Africans were pretty great to play as. ... if you cheated them into a khaganate and swept up the coast like a mighty haboob.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Dareon posted:

Hey, Africans were pretty great to play as. ... if you cheated them into a khaganate and swept up the coast like a mighty haboob.

I always liked to reform and go merchant republic under the title Africa

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The offspring naming system is worth Holy Fury's price of admission alone. As boring as it is I love seeing how far I can get with the roman numerals.

Any tips on the 1066 von Habsburg start? I saw a video where the guy got a claim on Neuchatel extremely fast and had his brother-in-law in Basel help. I haven't had such luck but I did manage to get a claim on the duchy of Transjuriana. I tried going to war and lost, and Werner died in battle. The son inherited the claim (and he's turning out to be a crack soldier) and I think I can take it next time if I save enough for a larger mercenary force but there's got to be an easier/better way. edit: part of the issue is that going to war for the duchy means my only ally, also within the duchy, is forced to fight against me. Is there any way to get him on my side before or right at DoW?

I think part of the issue is that I played EU4 before I got into Ck2 so I'm not really familiar with marriage strategies. Fabricating claims is so one-note but it's all I really know how to do.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 5, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

The offspring naming system is worth Holy Fury's price of admission alone. As boring as it is I love seeing how far I can get with the roman numerals.

What changed in offspring naming in Holy Fury?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
If you get in good with the emperor he will just give you a dutchy sometimes. Failing that you can get enough counties one by one in a dutchy to create or usurp it. You can win a war vs a Duke by either saving for mercenaries or getting a strong alliy by marrying your kid to theirs and then offering an alliance.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

If you get in good with the emperor he will just give you a dutchy sometimes. Failing that you can get enough counties one by one in a dutchy to create or usurp it. You can win a war vs a Duke by either saving for mercenaries or getting a strong alliy by marrying your kid to theirs and then offering an alliance.

I'm pretty good with the emperor but he created and gave away so many duchies at the beginning of the game before I could get the relation score up. Not sure how feasible it is if you don't have the "gain more titles" focus on top of that, which I didn't have. Sounds like it's feasible without but you need to concentrate on the emperor right out the gate.

I actually tried to do the latter with the duke of Savoy (my son to his daughter) but I just couldn't get him over the edge to say yes.

I'm not opposed to saving for mercs to follow through on my duchy claim, but I am wondering how to get a claim on a county aside from lucking into a high-skilled chancellor (My skill 11 guy has a 6% chance each year, which doesn't seem very good...?)

Elias_Maluco posted:

What changed in offspring naming in Holy Fury?

I'm pretty sure you could only randomize or customize it before. Now there are options to name for a parent, grandparent, or random further ancestor. Increasing the roman numerals I think was only possible if the kid happens to generate that same name as their parent. Now you can guarantee it every time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I'm pretty sure you could only randomize or customize it before. Now there are options to name for a parent, grandparent, or random further ancestor. Increasing the roman numerals I think was only possible if the kid happens to generate that same name as their parent. Now you can guarantee it every time.

Oh, I think thats been around at least since jade dragon

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

I'm pretty good with the emperor but he created and gave away so many duchies at the beginning of the game before I could get the relation score up. Not sure how feasible it is if you don't have the "gain more titles" focus on top of that, which I didn't have. Sounds like it's feasible without but you need to concentrate on the emperor right out the gate.

I actually tried to do the latter with the duke of Savoy (my son to his daughter) but I just couldn't get him over the edge to say yes.

I'm not opposed to saving for mercs to follow through on my duchy claim, but I am wondering how to get a claim on a county aside from lucking into a high-skilled chancellor (My skill 11 guy has a 6% chance each year, which doesn't seem very good...?)

Go into the character filter, filter for men, not rulers and your religion and sort by diplomacy skill. Scroll down until you see a yellow or green thumb which means they will accept an invitation to your court (yellow means you need to bribe them) and invite them. If you get somebody with a 16+ dip skill they will fabricate pretty fast. Do the same for commanders when you're at war.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is there an Imperator thread? Release date just got announced this week, and it looks like the map matches CK2. :getin:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Still in the first generation of my HF Norse game, Sigurdr Ring is a 30 martial badass, King of Sweden, having an affair with an elderly shield maiden he beat in an honor duel, and head hero of the wolf lodge, but is also depressed. If he kills himself now I'll play as 18 year old Ragnarr and be able to subjugate mega-sjaelland and probably have everything I need to reform the faith and create the empire of Scandinavia before the Viking Age event even fires. If he sticks around alive, Ragnarr will keep living down south as his chieftess wife's spymaster, and I'll run the risk of his kids getting raised as filthy Saxons.

Basically my character rules but it would be better if he were dead and I'm conflicted, and also if you commit suicide does it show up on your kill list?

Also I spawned with mjolnir and it rules

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

Is there an Imperator thread? Release date just got announced this week, and it looks like the map matches CK2. :getin:

The general Paradox thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744119) has been used as the Imperator thread for now. I'm sure the game will get it's own thread when it's out.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

I united Africa with them just before the debut of tribal mechanics. Feel like I dodged a bullet.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Go into the character filter, filter for men, not rulers and your religion and sort by diplomacy skill. Scroll down until you see a yellow or green thumb which means they will accept an invitation to your court (yellow means you need to bribe them) and invite them. If you get somebody with a 16+ dip skill they will fabricate pretty fast. Do the same for commanders when you're at war.

Thanks for this! I'll have to use that thing more often. I tend to forget about it until I run out of courtiers.

I've always wondered what the cognate would have been to the character finder back then. It makes a little bit of sense that nobles would know other nobles even if they're pretty far-flung, but like for instance how would a Swedish count know that some lowborn courtier in Aquitaine is really good at bookkeeping or spying?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Thanks for this! I'll have to use that thing more often. I tend to forget about it until I run out of courtiers.

I've always wondered what the cognate would have been to the character finder back then. It makes a little bit of sense that nobles would know other nobles even if they're pretty far-flung, but like for instance how would a Swedish count know that some lowborn courtier in Aquitaine is really good at bookkeeping or spying?

We can know all there is to know about any nation or anyone on it by clicking around at in the map (and ledger), even without the finder. And there's no cognate for it either

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

We can know all there is to know about any nation or anyone on it by clicking around at in the map (and ledger), even without the finder. And there's no cognate for it either

Fair point. It's almost like I'm accidentally RP-ing myself into a disadvantage by not using it..!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Arbite posted:

I united Africa with them just before the debut of tribal mechanics. Feel like I dodged a bullet.

It wasn't as bad as it appeared if I'm being honest. Like any other tribal you just build up the tribal army steamroller and remain in a ever-expanding forever war until you can reform your religion and gov. Beyond that just park the Umayyad Sultan's dick in your Chancellor's mouth and move as fast as you can. More often than not I could pull it off.

The only things that really sucked about them was their focus on light infantry (which is still there) and their inability to use societies, which Holy Fury changed and added a bunch of other flavorful mechanics to boot.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I mean, there was the brief novelty of fielding super massive retinues of light infantry that was, marginally better but that's about all it was

Now you have a lotta legit neat stuff to do. How does any of it convert though, to EUIV?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Now you have a lotta legit neat stuff to do. How does any of it convert though, to EUIV?

The question is why you would want to? EU3 is still my most played game, but EU4 is just not fun.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I mean, there was the brief novelty of fielding super massive retinues of light infantry that was, marginally better but that's about all it was

African Pagan converts to Totemist, and your provinces will probably be a little more developed. Reformation choices don't convert at all, neither does the trade route or artifacts

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

binge crotching posted:

The question is why you would want to? EU3 is still my most played game, but EU4 is just not fun.

Whaaat.

Was holy fury the last dlc? Is it over now?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zombiepop posted:

Whaaat.

Was holy fury the last dlc? Is it over now?

We assume Holy Fury was the last DLC. The devs posted a list of DLC still to come, and it was like 6 or something, and Holy Fury was the sixth DLC (or whichever number was mentioned). HF has been out longer than the last Stellaris DLC, yet the Stellaris devs are already announcing dev diaries will start again somewhat soon. No word from the CK2 devs. So I personally think HF was the last CK2 DLC, but we don't have official confirmation yet.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Torrannor posted:

We assume Holy Fury was the last DLC. The devs posted a list of DLC still to come, and it was like 6 or something, and Holy Fury was the sixth DLC (or whichever number was mentioned). HF has been out longer than the last Stellaris DLC, yet the Stellaris devs are already announcing dev diaries will start again somewhat soon. No word from the CK2 devs. So I personally think HF was the last CK2 DLC, but we don't have official confirmation yet.

Oh drat. Time for Crusader Kings 3 then I guess!
I hope they won't let us medieval nerds go to bed hungry.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

They posted an update a few weeks ago and mentioned some upcoming patching and smaller content additions, but didn’t say anything about DLCs. I’ve been assuming Holy Fury is the last real DLC planned for the game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think is about time

CK2 is legit one of the best games ever imo, and Holy Fury is great. But is time to move on to CK3

Theres so much you can do by adding new mechanics in DLC

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm honestly not sure what you would do in CK3 to make it better, really. the main thing i can think of is ripping out and redoing absolutely core systems like the character relationship systems to change how opinion functions, and then basically build from that fundamental difference. beyond the gaminess of a few core systems CK2 has more detail and thought put into its subject matter than pretty much any other game in history.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's a lot of stuff that could be better integrated together and a few partially redundant systems that could be removed when the game no longer has to support every possible combination of DLC.

Also Imperator has roughly barony-sized provinces so CK3 probably could, even if barons still had to be unplayable and have simplified AI for performance reasons.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

holy fury is not the last dlc. Perhaps it might have been, but it had a fantastic reception. they've since made it clear in a winky-nudgy way that we "will know" when it's the last dlc, presumably because they'll give it a proper sendoff and pr blitz

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Because I am not very smart or good with time management, I am putting aside EU4 to try CK2. I know the 'right' way to learn the game is to start in Ireland or whatever, but I learn better when I'm doing the thing I want to be doing, which, in this case, is fantasizing about being a merchant prince. I've picked a bunch of the DLC on sale (including The Republic obviously) and I'm wondering if I should get Jade Dragon. Do the Silk Road mechanics interact well with trading posts? Or are they pretty separate?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

doingitwrong posted:

Because I am not very smart or good with time management, I am putting aside EU4 to try CK2. I know the 'right' way to learn the game is to start in Ireland or whatever, but I learn better when I'm doing the thing I want to be doing, which, in this case, is fantasizing about being a merchant prince. I've picked a bunch of the DLC on sale (including The Republic obviously) and I'm wondering if I should get Jade Dragon. Do the Silk Road mechanics interact well with trading posts? Or are they pretty separate?

Depends on where you're playing. If you play a in Northern Europe, the Silk Road trade posts don't matter. For the rest, it can matter a great deal. Because non-merchant republic rulers only have a very small trade post limit, they can't hold too many of the Silk Road trade posts personally. But you can theoretically get a high enough trade post limit as a merchant prince to own the whole Silk Road and become absurdly, obscenely rich. But as a "normal" merchant republics, your can also get extremely rich, just not quite as rich as someone who owns a significant part of the Silk Road.

But basically, playing a merchant republic for me is more about staying relatively small and taking advantage of your fantastic wealth to fend off other realms. You can and should own a few of the coastal Silk Road trade posts, they are much better than you "normal" trade posts. But conquering most of the Middle East and India to control the Silk Road is more a world conquest thing that might not appeal to you. So those Silk Road trade posts do interact well with you normal trading posts.

Just a heads up, Horse Lords also unlocks the Silk Road, if you've already bought that DLC you might not need Jade Dragon.

One thing to notice: Merchant republics depend a lot on their retinue. You can get retinue cap increases in both your merchant palace and every single trade post you own. Combined with your high income, retinues usually vastly outnumber your levies, while also being of higher quality. Feudal rulers rely a lot more on their levies. For that reason, I think Legacy of Rome is mandatory if you want to play merchant republics, since you otherwise won't have retinues.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
OK, thanks.

Based on the great advice in the OP, I've picked up:
The Old Gods & Sword of Islam (came in a bundle).
Way of Life
Holy Fury
Conclave
Monks & Mystics
Legacy of Rome
Sons of Abraham
The Republic

I was planning to start in Venice. Sounds like you're saying Jade Dragon or Horse Lords might be worth grabbing as well.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah that's all excellent MR advice.

Also get ready to learn how to be a murdering bastard. Being a monstrous killer is cheaper than buying Doge elections, especially in the beginning. Plus when some dick bag rival house manages to gently caress up your trade zone sometimes erradicating said house through murder will fix the problem.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

doingitwrong posted:

OK, thanks.

Based on the great advice in the OP, I've picked up:
The Old Gods & Sword of Islam (came in a bundle).
Way of Life
Holy Fury
Conclave
Monks & Mystics
Legacy of Rome
Sons of Abraham
The Republic

I was planning to start in Venice. Sounds like you're saying Jade Dragon or Horse Lords might be worth grabbing as well.

Since you picked up Swords of Islam and apparently don't like playing games normally, it's also of note that there are a number of Muslim tribals in the early starts that can become merchant republic powerhouses owing to their proximity to the African gold mines and the Mediterranean, as well as the trade posts in the holy land, although you'll have to wrest those posts away from Venice et al and fight off or subvert the Sunni blobs. Not necessarily the best first merchant republic game but you won't be able to spend the gold you poo poo out fast enough if you pull it off.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sindai posted:

There's a lot of stuff that could be better integrated together and a few partially redundant systems that could be removed when the game no longer has to support every possible combination of DLC.

Also Imperator has roughly barony-sized provinces so CK3 probably could, even if barons still had to be unplayable and have simplified AI for performance reasons.

Yeah, pretty much. CK2 evolved tremendously though all the DLC, a CK3 could reimplement the great ideas they had in much more tight, organic way. And it could also use a better, improved engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I would appreciate a final update to the few original original assets in game too. Those western councilors... Though I am worried of how much of a contraction CK3 would feel, unless from the start it was as open as CK2. (in terms of playable characters).