Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

How often do y'all do big reenactments and what kinds of crowds does it draw

Since we're talking reenactments, I dug into an old photo archive of mine and found some of my reenactment photos. These were taken a few years ago. We staged a “public battle” for a student filmmaker from University of Colorado who wanted to make a film about a Russian kid in WW2. We were the Soviet Army.

Yes, we made some explosions:

Germans:

These were from an event in California I traveled to:

This is me on the back of the T-34, I spent most of the event driving:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I was under the impression people just randomly choose to have a snooze or not.

Yeah thats the way the Civil War folks did it. The WW2 folks plan out during the morning safety meetings who dies before the event.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I was under the impression people just randomly choose to have a snooze or not.

nobody wants to die, i think i remember reading in Confederates in the Attic (great book) that a lot of company commanders assigned deaths by birthday - eg "OK in this one all guys born in Jan and Feb die, August serious wounds." next time out of course the months change.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cessna posted:

Since we're talking reenactments, I dug into an old photo archive of mine and found some of my reenactment photos. These were taken a few years ago. We staged a “public battle” for a student filmmaker from University of Colorado who wanted to make a film about a Russian kid in WW2. We were the Soviet Army.

Germans:

Holy poo poo man, this is awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

Germans:

That seems pretty dope, I never get to drive tanks

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nobody wants to die, i think i remember reading in Confederates in the Attic (great book) that a lot of company commanders assigned deaths by birthday - eg "OK in this one all guys born in Jan and Feb die, August serious wounds." next time out of course the months change.
when i was a civil war reenactor i died when i ran out of cartridges.

but dying sucks because i hate getting sunburnt

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

Do they set up big food and vendor tents. Is it a nerdier Ren Faire Hegel, admit it

Our big annual event used to be "Fort Indiantown Gap," a huge WWII mock battle held in Pennsylvania. The event was canceled recently as some idiot almost murdered himself with a mortar, but it was fun while it lasted. They used to set us up in the old WWII barracks, then let us use the woods for big battles. One of the barracks was set up as the "Axis Club," another as the "Allied Club." The Allied club was fun:

The best unit in the event were the "Cossacks." The Axis and Allied barracks were separated, on the other side of a small field. The Cossacks would dress in WWII Cossack uniforms and go to the Allied club. They'd drink a LOT of Vodka and other alcohols, then stagger outside. They'd swap the insignia and badges on their uniforms to "Axis Cossacks," then go to the Axis club and drink a LOT of vodka. Then they'd switch back - back and forth, back and forth. They were impressive.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cessna posted:

Our big annual event used to be "Fort Indiantown Gap," a huge WWII mock battle held in Pennsylvania. The event was canceled recently as some idiot almost murdered himself with a mortar, but it was fun while it lasted. They used to set us up in the old WWII barracks, then let us use the woods for big battles. One of the barracks was set up as the "Axis Club," another as the "Allied Club." The Allied club was fun:

The best unit in the event were the "Cossacks." The Axis and Allied barracks were separated, on the other side of a small field. The Cossacks would dress in WWII Cossack uniforms and go to the Allied club. They'd drink a LOT of Vodka and other alcohols, then stagger outside. They'd swap the insignia and badges on their uniforms to "Axis Cossacks," then go to the Axis club and drink a LOT of vodka. Then they'd switch back - back and forth, back and forth. They were impressive.

When acting Russian, do as the Russians do???

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Cessna posted:

How was it to operate?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Comrade Gorbash posted:

How was it to operate?

Just fine. Not as smooth as a modern US AFV, obviously, but I never had a problem with it.

Don't believe the stories about "changing gears with a hammer."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

ahahahaha

quote:

The event was canceled recently as some idiot almost murdered himself with a mortar, but it was fun while it lasted.
a lot of reenactors i've seen have just lovely attitudes toward safety

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

Coooooooooooooool!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HEY GUNS posted:

ahahahaha

It's not real so how can I die from it?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

Oh, yes. I am fanatical about firearm safety. You see things that make your hair stand on end at big reenactments.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cessna posted:

Im impressed by their respect for the authentic lived experience of the Cossacks during world war 2.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

ahahahaha

A guy at a Russian reenactment recently fell off a tank and under the tracks. Thankfully they were on loose sand, so he only had some bones broken and didn't die.

Don't ride on tank fenders even if it looks really cool.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I looked up the incident and this was in one of the articles:

at hospital, lost fingat

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
three years ago i was at a big event in the netherlands and a dude brought a real dagger onto the field and cut someone's thumb off

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait y'all were reenacting with live mortar rounds

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

Wait y'all were reenacting with live mortar rounds

Not live with a bursting shell that will throw shrapnel, but live with enough propellant to throw a small charge that will make a loud "bang."

It's not a problem if you aren't an idiot about it, like blanks fired from a firearm.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

C.M. Kruger posted:

I looked up the incident and this was in one of the articles:

at hospital, lost fingat

This article - here - is pretty good.

The guy in the photo is a jackass.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

My "reenactment" experience was really more a group who liked historical LARPing, so the idea of a reenactment weapon that you can't whack someone over the head with and still have them be your friend in the morning rather terrifies me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

LatwPIAT posted:

My "reenactment" experience was really more a group who liked historical LARPing, so the idea of a reenactment weapon that you can't whack someone over the head with and still have them be your friend in the morning rather terrifies me.
no need to be terrified, just remember that even blank rounds are made with explosives and treat them accordingly, and your odds of being fine go way up

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

this looks so cool! you guys look good and the shot is pleasing to me

here's me, the focus is really tight so you can't tell from the photo that this is happening in a soccer field:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cessna posted:

You see things that make your hair stand on end at big reenactments.

When I rode in a T-34 during a public mock battle event years ago, one of the homemade “blank” shells went off without being properly secured in the breech. The casing shot off straight backwards, bounced off the back of the turret (smashing one of the interior lights along the way) and hit me in the back as I was kneeling by the loader’s position.

(This wasn’t even the worst safety incident that day.)

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

When I rode in a T-34 during a public mock battle event years ago, one of the homemade "blank" shells went off without being properly secured in the breech. The casing shot off straight backwards, bounced off the back of the turret (smashing one of the interior lights along the way) and hit me in the back as I was kneeling by the loader's position.

(This wasn't even the worst safety incident that day.)

The Danish Gv M/50 (Essentially the M1 Garand) had a special bayonet mount for the M/62 bayonet. The Danish army had to change it a bit after it was discovered that when firing blanks, the bayonet sometimes detached and shot forwards, which caused some safety concerns...

Edit: Turns out the article I read was confusingly written. It was the blank firing adapter that shot out, which is mentioned in the paragraph on the bayonet.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 8, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are there any surviving T-34/76s left?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are there any surviving T-34/76s left?

Oh yeah, here's one that was at Aberdeen when I was there about ten years ago:

(Aberdeen when I was there was both extremely cool and depressing because while they have a ton of neat vehicles there, they were all sitting outside in awful condition.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
cessna, move your vehicle!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1092767721840934912

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
what, is it a permit parking zone?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

what, is it a permit parking zone?
it's parked on the sidewalk, look

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Looks more like an APC....

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Legit surprised no one has put a boot on it. I thought that was a big thing there.

E: Boot like the thing that stops the wheel turning or something, not like a trunk?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fangz posted:

Looks more like an APC....

I think it depends if the gun is more than 20mm, in which case it’s an IFV not an APC (although :britain: might not count as part of Europe for much longer so that could change?)

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

I think it depends if the gun is more than 20mm, in which case it’s an IFV not an APC (although :britain: might not count as part of Europe for much longer so that could change?)

The CFE definition has "Infantry Fighting Vehicles" being armed with weapons of calibre equal to or greater than 20 mm. It's a fairly important distinction because when the Treaty on Conventional Forces in Europe was written, the 20mm Oerlikon, Rh202, and F2 autocannons were rather common weapon on NATO armoured transports.

However, that's a British FV-432, of which only some 13 autocannon armed versions were ever made using the turret from the Fox armoured car. The one in the photograph is a fairly standard FV-432 APC version with a GMPG turret.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

It's a FV432 with a Peak Engineering turret (fitted with a GPMG in active service).

E: f,b

Lobster God fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 7, 2019

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

HEY GUNS posted:

three years ago i was at a big event in the netherlands and a dude brought a real dagger onto the field and cut someone's thumb off

On purpose?! Like as a trophy?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VanSandman posted:

On purpose?! Like as a trophy?
he brought the real dagger on purpose, then fought with it. The thumb thing was not deliberate but once you bring live steel onto the field you should be thrown out

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
everything with tracks is a tank

idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

bewbies posted:

everything with tracks is a tank

idiots

Isn't that how it works? Like with the AMX-13?

AMX-13 (Homme)

AMX-13 (Femme)

/s