Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

He had the speed to get to GP3 and GP2 and win in GP3, he was on par with guys who have won the Indy 500 and the IndyCar championship. He’s either made bad choices or had bad luck depending on how you look at it (it’s a very good question why Foyt dropped him after one year), but he’s hustled to try and stay involved. I hope he does well and can catch on full-time, he has the talent to be fast and is a good character for the series.

I think Foyt dropped him due to poor conditioning and focus, but at the same time 2017 Foyt was a loving joke gongshow team.

Munoz didn’t survive either and looked worse than Daly in the back half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

This is loving amazing. I hoped he would recover, but I'll admit to being very pessimistic about his chances of ever getting back to an indycar. Now, I think it's just a matter of time. Very glad he's proving my doubts unfounded. What an inspiration.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

I think Foyt dropped him due to poor conditioning and focus, but at the same time 2017 Foyt was a loving joke gongshow team.

They still kind of are :v: but yeah TK coming in with his sponsor money/connections and Leist coming up with his is too tempting to avoid.

Considering Daly was shopping the Air Force deal himself last year, and what they signed on for with Andretti Autosport, you have to think the Indy 500 ride isn’t the end to the story.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Conor is an absolute kind, sincere guy.

I have ran into him 2, 3 times at this point and each time he sounds more like a guy I've been chatting with online for years rather than a superstar "I'm too cool" sort of driver.

I VERY Proudly have his Chili Bowl shirt. I'm glad he's got another ride and I hope he's around the sport for a long time.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1091032146284855296

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

4 years? Group 1001 is definitely laundering money or something right? Like i know they do lots of big insurance... uh... poo poo... but still.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

With such a generic-rear end name, it would not surprise me to find out in the end they're a shell company for exactly those purposes.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

nice to see Leyton House Group 1001 throwing more money at the series

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

With such a generic-rear end name, it would not surprise me to find out in the end they're a shell company for exactly those purposes.

Wouldn't be the first time but :homebrew:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

They still kind of are :v: but yeah TK coming in with his sponsor money/connections and Leist coming up with his is too tempting to avoid.

Considering Daly was shopping the Air Force deal himself last year, and what they signed on for with Andretti Autosport, you have to think the Indy 500 ride isn’t the end to the story.

I sincerely hope so, but I think this also puts him in a win*-or-go-home scenario. With an Andretti car, he needs a really solid result to sell himself as still a factor in the series.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Reminds me a bit of when Torco was loving everywhere in drag racing for a couple years.

Then they got raided by the feds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
When are they coming for Camping World

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Conor is a bit of a tryhard but I have nothing bad to say about him as a driver

The gently caress does this even mean

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

OhsH posted:

The gently caress does this even mean

I could've worded it a bit better, but I find his personality a bit annoying sometimes

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1091075214790791168

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Honda's North America HQ is right down the street in Torrance (near where Toyota used to be), so I kinda expected they would pick the race up. If nothing else, its a good gently caress you to Toyota, and Honda LOVES doing that maybe more than anything else .

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Reminds me a bit of when Torco was loving everywhere in drag racing for a couple years.

Then they got raided by the feds.

Group1001 might be dumb branding, but Delaware Life has been around a while, right?

(The biggest snake oil sponsor currently in IndyCar is Lucas Oil IMO)

In any case, businesses coming in with teams and extending their relationship to also sponsor races or the series (NTT)? It really is healthy again. Or much healthier than it was before.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Honda's North America HQ is right down the street in Torrance (near where Toyota used to be), so I kinda expected they would pick the race up. If nothing else, its a good gently caress you to Toyota, and Honda LOVES doing that maybe more than anything else .

Thank god for Honda.

Stuck with the sport through some very lean times inspite of the fact that USAC (allegedly) pulled some shady poo poo in 1995 to make sure their cars couldn't win.

I think between them, Firestone and Dallara? They are the "glue" of the sport. (Chevy isn't bad either honestly..)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://racereviewonline.home.blog/2019/01/31/indy-500-tix-sales-strong-hospitality-and-suites-completely-sold-out/
Indy 500 Tix Sales Strong, Hospitality And Suites Completely Sold Out

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Thank god for Honda.

Stuck with the sport through some very lean times inspite of the fact that USAC (allegedly) pulled some shady poo poo in 1995 to make sure their cars couldn't win.

I think between them, Firestone and Dallara? They are the "glue" of the sport. (Chevy isn't bad either honestly..)

Honda, Firestone and Dallara have done so much from the 2000s through 2010s and the dark old days. They might’ve been bad cars and it may have been questionable racing, but they stuck with the series which is to their credit.

I figure Chevy is Roger Penske pulling strings in certain ways. But I’m so glad Penske has spent so much on this passion.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Honda made sure it couldn’t win Indy in 1995 by employing Scott Goodyear.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1091368335197888512

Wonder what "significant" thing they could announce at this point? I thought they already signed a multi year extension last year.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Indy 500 will now be run backwards.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just bought my 500 tickets. :getin:

Giving Stand C a shot this year.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1091368335197888512

Wonder what "significant" thing they could announce at this point? I thought they already signed a multi year extension last year.

maybe Road to Indy is switching from Cooper?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The self hating fan in me hopes that an announcement being leaked days in advance wouldn't be for Firestone withdrawing

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The self hating fan in me hopes that an announcement being leaked days in advance wouldn't be for Firestone withdrawing

I don't think they would have Mario and Ed there if that was the case.

I guess the "multi year" deal was signed in 2017, so this could be an extension.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1091373196346040322

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

maybe Road to Indy is switching from Cooper?

Firestone as Road to Indy sponsor and supplier would make sense.

god drat :psyduck: how many good announcements can we pack into one offseason?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Another potential advantage is Firestone may be able to limit initial slick track conditions due to the different tire compounds between each series.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

harperdc posted:

Firestone as Road to Indy sponsor and supplier would make sense.

I don't know if this would be it, though. By this point Cooper will be ramping up for the 2019 season and specifically getting ready for the RTI test at CotA in two weeks. All the RTI stuff, including the logos, is still branded with Cooper Tires and I don't see why any deal or contract with them is exitable or was meant to expire the week before their services would be required. If Firestone is taking over tires in Lights and/or the series below in upcoming seasons, announcing it at the beginning of this season would be very odd.

It could be as plain-jane as Firestone announcing a contract renewal for X years or maybe as significant as it becoming the NTT Indycar Series Presented by Firestone. But I'd bet against it being related to the ladder.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Or, Firestone Cosworth confirmed

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Don Whittington was surprisingly decent on ovals.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Hell he somehow landed a Patrick ride.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Frond posted:

Hell he somehow landed a Patrick ride.

mhm.

Well...you know....

:420: :20bux:

Can get you a long way in the racing world back in the 70s and 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U8Uy_0qFuk

(Also has anyone seen this car in the IMS Museum by chance?)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Firestone announcement is an extension through 2025. In addition they are building a new facility in Akron, OH specifically to build all their racing tires in the world.

https://www.realopenwheel.com/firestone-extends-exclusive-tire-supplier-partnership-with-indycar-through-2025

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

KingShibby posted:

Firestone announcement is an extension through 2025. In addition they are building a new facility in Akron, OH specifically to build all their racing tires in the world.

https://www.realopenwheel.com/firestone-extends-exclusive-tire-supplier-partnership-with-indycar-through-2025

Shouts out to Akron!

This is great though. As was mentioned earlier? A real loyal partner to the series that has routinely been high quality.

Good for everyone involved really.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

Shouts out to Akron!

This is great though. As was mentioned earlier? A real loyal partner to the series that has routinely been high quality.

Good for everyone involved really.

Exactly this, there are zero losers from this except for the other tire manufacturers that wish they could be in Firestone's position.

I am very glad to have went despite spending 8 hours driving for 1 hour at the Dallara factory

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm genuinely curious why they continue to use the Firestone name and not Bridgestone. I'm in my 30s so when I hear "Firestone" I immediately picture a Ford Explorer flipping on the interestate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Basticle posted:

I'm genuinely curious why they continue to use the Firestone name and not Bridgestone. I'm in my 30s so when I hear "Firestone" I immediately picture a Ford Explorer flipping on the interestate.

Firestone is attached to IndyCar/American Championship Car Racing history so I think that's why they've kept that name in this series.

Ray Harroun used Firestones on his car in 1911, and Firestone pretty much ran a de facto "commercial" before a showing of the 500 in 1946 on local Indianapolis television. (which was the first time a tv station came on the air in that market)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g3a0p2wtKQ

In terms of the "brand"? I think it's because they figure it's a part of Americana in spite of what happened.