Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Chichevache posted:

The rapist is a black dude.

Are you sure about that? He is a Virginia democrat after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1092819017994260480

https://twitter.com/BPaves/status/1093259870172835840

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

They're confusing Virginia politicians. It wasn't the VA House Speaker who had his name pulled from a bowl, that was someone else.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Y’all I’m so tired.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

They're confusing Virginia politicians. It wasn't the VA House Speaker who had his name pulled from a bowl, that was someone else.

True, but I think they're implying he only got the Speaker job because of the one-seat lead that was decided by the drawing. It's a little misleading

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm still not entirely convinced I'm not a brain in a jar somewhere and my overseers are throwing increasingly convoluted scenarios at me to see when I finally question the nature of my reality.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

egyptian rat race posted:

True, but I think they're implying he only got the Speaker job because of the one-seat lead that was decided by the drawing. It's a little misleading

Ahhhhhh. Yeah, okay. That makes more sense.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

The aliens running this simulation are just doing some A/B testing

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

THE BEST POSSIBLE OPTICS

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Vasudus posted:

I'm still not entirely convinced I'm not a brain in a jar somewhere and my overseers are throwing increasingly convoluted scenarios at me to see when I finally question the nature of my reality.

I've been thinking for a while that the matrix is running out of ram myself.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
And right on time, here's your Klobuchar oppo dump.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1093277749215744000?s=19

Not sure what I think/feel about it though. Seems kinda weak. Surprised it wasn't about her prosecutor background.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Not sure what I think/feel about it though. Seems kinda weak. Surprised it wasn't about her prosecutor background.

The real problem is the bill she pushed through to remove environmental protections from a mine site in MN.

http://duluthreader.com/articles/2018/06/28/13775_tina_smith_polymet_and_the_toxic_path_to_pollution

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 6, 2019

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

A friend of mine has many friends who worked for her. Before she announced he said she was going to face problems from former staffers describing her as a toxic and tyrannical leader. Seems he was right!

E: No, he’s not a guy who always finds a reason to dislike candidates who are women

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

facialimpediment posted:

I mean sounds like she sucks to work for but yeah this is some really weak oppo here.

Like as compromises go that's a flaw that seems pretty forgivable

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The president telling the senate and house to set abortion laws is pretty loving disturbing. Especially since he was given a standing applause for it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hope Duckworth throws her hat in. So far the Dems have no one without major issues. Two Scoops is a million times worse on every bad trait that Dem candidates have been exposed for having, but of course that never matters.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Harris doesn't have major issues to the everyday voter. She has issues according to progressives, which while they are making up a larger and larger portion of the voting base and that's great, there's nothing stopping her right now.

Warren continues with the greatest self-own in political history next to Dukakis and that goddamn tank photo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Uncorroborated and unsubstantiated claims of Rape do not make him a Rapist. We have this concept of innocent until proven guilty.

My post can't be false until it has been found to be so in a court of law. :goatdrugs:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I hope Duckworth throws her hat in. So far the Dems have no one without major issues. Two Scoops is a million times worse on every bad trait that Dem candidates have been exposed for having, but of course that never matters.

Duckworth is the only national Dem I'd volunteer for.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ded posted:

The president telling the senate and house to set abortion laws is pretty loving disturbing. Especially since he was given a standing applause for it.

Since 1973, 61,000,000 children have not grown up and stolen my car stereo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vasudus posted:

Harris doesn't have major issues to the everyday voter. She has issues according to progressives, which while they are making up a larger and larger portion of the voting base and that's great, there's nothing stopping her right now.

Warren continues with the greatest self-own in political history next to Dukakis and that goddamn tank photo.

I feel I'm still the most partial to Warren, her colossal self-owns aside. She's not an rear end in a top hat, has good policy positions, and I think she'd be a reasonable administrator. It's a shame that there haven't been any slam-dunk candidates that have announced, though—I want to like Booker, for instance, but I just can't get over his support for big finance and charter schools.

e: Sherrod Brown maybe? I don't know enough about him though to know about his skeletons, and that's even if he's running.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 7, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I like Warren despite the missteps.

Besides the other mentioned issues Booker is fake as hell, and will cave to Republican demands immediately. I've watched the rear end in a top hat positioning himself for the run for a while now and it feels like he's counting on people's Obama nostalgia. The only way you'd mistake him for Obama is if you turn your head, squint, and have a major head injury.

Brown's first wife accused him of abuse during their divorce. She later walked those back and had supported his campaigns. It will be brought up if he runs.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Casimir Radon posted:

I like Warren despite the missteps.

Putting down "American Indian" on your state bar paperwork seems lovely, even for a lawyer. I wish they cracked down on all the contractor companies owned by white as gently caress 1/64th Cherokee cardholders who use that to win contracts

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Putting down "American Indian" on your state bar paperwork seems lovely, even for a lawyer.

Why?

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Should have clarified... If you have no tribal identity, no ties to any sort of group, and your percentage ancestry drops below a certain point, I think it's lovely. It's used by companies to abuse the government awards process.

E: without getting into too much detail on mobile posting, it's basically impersonating a disadvantaged class in order to gain priority in a contract awards process

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Putting down "American Indian" on your state bar paperwork seems lovely, even for a lawyer. I wish they cracked down on all the contractor companies owned by white as gently caress 1/64th Cherokee cardholders who use that to win contracts

If I might go full woke for a second, the whole blood quantum thing is an under-appreciated Jim Crowe campaign that was designed to disenfranchise Native Americans in the South. The Dawes Rolls were a well-intentioned, but catastrophically imperfect attempt to rectify this problem and the effects are still felt to this day. The bottom line is that a lot of white, black, and brown people today have Native American heritage, only a fraction of whom are still forced (by circumstance) to live in the abject (and ignored) poverty of Native American reservations. Warren is a bit disingenuous for playing the whole Native American card and the DNA test was really stupid, but the whole concept of Native ancestry in the US often ignores the social and historical nuances of the whole affair.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
TX state bar cards aren't used that way. Says so right on the card. Do you have evidence that she got government lawyering contracts based on this?

I find it believable that she'd always been told by grandma or whoever that she had Native American ancestry. It's a pretty common thing for people to say/believe with little or no sourcing. Now, going down the DNA test rout and claiming temporary victory based on that was :laffo:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If you're dumb enough to make a public claim like that before actually taking the loving test to see if gam-gams was right, you should not run for president.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Yeah sorry, I am pretty ignorant of how those cards are used. I'm only familiar with my own industry (engineering) and seen companies game that system for minority/female ownership, amongst other things like getting creative with finances to stay below a certain (8-figure) revenue to retain "disadvantaged" status. It sucks.

I see what I assume is someone trying to get an undeserved leg up and I roll my eyes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah sorry, I am pretty ignorant of how those cards are used. I'm only familiar with my own industry (engineering) and seen companies game that system for minority/female ownership, amongst other things like getting creative with finances to stay below a certain (8-figure) revenue to retain "disadvantaged" status. It sucks.

I see what I assume is someone trying to get an undeserved leg up and I roll my eyes.

Oh man I'm right there with you with regards to it being exploited by white, middle class dudes (the same way that men will give their minority, veteran wives a 50.1% ownership stake in a company to claim all of that). But I'm also loathe to call an individual out on their heritage because it's been over 500 years since the first Europeans came to North America and a lot of "full blooded" natives were excluded from federal recognition for a variety of reasons (see: large groups of the Powhatan in Virginia).

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

If you're dumb enough to make a public claim like that before actually taking the loving test to see if gam-gams was right, you should not run for president.

Yes, clearly because of that fact she would be a bad president.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

Duckworth is the only national Dem I'd volunteer for.

There's no current Dem candidate that I want to volunteer for and thats not good because I want to volunteer. If I don't have enthusiasm then there are statistically something like 25,000 dem voters just like me who also lack enthusiasm. But because of the world as it exists I'm going to end up volunteering for a dem anyway in a very lesser of eight mediocre's style. :sadpeanut:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The card was filled out after she was already she was already admitted, and only used for stats. Yes it was dumb but that's about as far as it goes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Uh, I don't think that was an option back in like 1980 and I bet she didn't now then that she was running for president. Warren: Foiled by lack of time machine.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Besides being anti-gun, I have no reservations for Warren, and I'd eagerly volunteer for her. She's the only one that would actually put some regulations back on the big banks, and she'd fight rampant Wall Street gambling and white collar crime. She'd also fight to put bigger protections in the financial system into place, even more than Dodd-Frank did (which wasn't enough), which would hopefully prevent the next economic downturn/bubble burst from turning into another great depression. She's smart as all hell, and knows how horribly run our financial system is, and how vulnerable it is because the fucks running it don't give a poo poo about anything except accumulating more and more money for themselves.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

She's also hardly the only person to claim some comically small amount of Native ancestry. That poo poo was still common when I was in high school. Actually getting called on your poo poo for doing that is a much more recent phenomenon.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

TX state bar cards aren't used that way. Says so right on the card. Do you have evidence that she got government lawyering contracts based on this?

I find it believable that she'd always been told by grandma or whoever that she had Native American ancestry. It's a pretty common thing for people to say/believe with little or no sourcing. Now, going down the DNA test rout and claiming temporary victory based on that was :laffo:

This was part of my family lore; later we learned that it was actually Caribbean islander. Which I suppose isn't drastically different, but I also wasn't (and aren't, I'm white af) putting it down on official documentation.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This is like seeing a beloved family member get dementia, but worse.

https://twitter.com/bafeldman/status/1093310681384919040

https://goatse.cx/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Uh, I don't think that was an option back in like 1980 and I bet she didn't now then that she was running for president. Warren: Foiled by lack of time machine.

This came up in 2012, too. Taking the test prior to getting into a public pissing match with the president would've been a smarter move than basically acting on a front-page dare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Since we're talking about how lovely my home state is, I feel like it's an appropriate time to drop some Tom Lehrer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I7CJovhhVq8