Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/1092525651217633280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Halloween Jack posted:

I have tried to gently advise people that if someone wants to read a transcript of the entire book, they'll just pirate it and read it themselves.

"Has anyone transcribed word for word this book that came out last year?"

":justpost:"

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 5, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Halloween Jack posted:

The thing that consistently weirds me out is when the authorial stance seems to be that being a hyper-atomized off-the-grid anarcho-libertarian is a good thing. I mean it's a reasonable response to living in neolib hellworld, but I wouldn't say it's good.

I bought the recent Shadowrun book about "Hooding" (IE: Ethical shadowrunning) and in the comments section there's one of these libertarian types constantly sniping at everyone. Someone hacks his bank account and gives all his money to charity and also buys free pizza for their apartment block.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

theironjef posted:

"Has anyone transcribed word for word this book that came out last year month (or possibly last week, can’t be bothered to check right now when exactly the F&F for Emerald Empire started)?"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Okay today is actually awesome.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Okay today is actually awesome.

I'm sad I only have a 2nd edition copy without the cthulhu guys. But my copy I found at a garage sale and the original owner colored in a ton of the artwork with crayons, so it's still awesome.

Also old-school Erol Otus art rules.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

erol otus > larry elmore

yearly reminder

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Wrestlepig posted:

Paranoia had some really incredible adventures. Nobody's even mentioned Stealth Train or the algae vat one that kills everybody in Alpha Complex.

Stealth Train was only OK, and pretty terrible as a beginner’s adventure. “What do you do?” “Um, we keep guarding the train.”

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

hyphz posted:

Stealth Train was only OK, and pretty terrible as a beginner’s adventure. “What do you do?” “Um, we keep guarding the train.”

just ask "what train?" and wait for the fireworks

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gort posted:

Was Cyberpunk 3.0 the one where instead of artwork they used photos of some children's dolls they'd dressed up as punks?

Honestly that isn't an inherently bad idea in my opinion, but it was really badly done in that specific instance

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

erol otus > larry elmore

yearly reminder

And Peter Mullen is better than both of them

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

And Peter Mullen is better than both of them

Agreed on Larry Elmore, who is just a kinda "acceptable dragons fantasy artist", but while I do like Mullen, I think Erol Otis' art has more weird character and Mullen's art leans a bit too much on cross-hatching.

Could just be the nostalgia talking, though.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

In the end, when it comes to D&D art, my favorite is DiTerlizzi, the Brian Froud of RPG's.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Erol Otus and Dave Trampier, please.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

remusclaw posted:

In the end, when it comes to D&D art, my favorite is DiTerlizzi, the Brian Froud of RPG's.

Rebecca Guay was one of my favorite for classic nerdgames too

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

Wow, Rebecca Guay is really good. Along with her, DiTerlizzi and Amano, I think I might have found my preferred sort of aesthetic. Stephanie Pui-Mun Law also did stuff in a similar style, I first saw her work when I was random buttoning on Elfwood back in the day.

Of the early D&D artists I suppose Darlene comes closest to this sort of look, thought it is all line work in that case. Her stuff really stands out in the AD&D cores.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 6, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Terese Nielsen was one of my favorites, but she turned out to be a MAGA chud :smith:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Arivia posted:

Terese Nielsen was one of my favorites, but she turned out to be a MAGA chud :smith:

oh god no :smith:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arivia posted:

yeah but vesuvan doppleganger

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

remusclaw posted:

Wow, Rebecca Guay is really good. Along with her, DiTerlizzi and Amano, I think I might have found my preferred sort of aesthetic.

Check out Caitlyn Kurilich as well. She's not done any D&D work that I know of but her art seems to share a style with DiTerlizzi and Guay.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Arivia posted:

https://twitter.com/tnielsenart/status/1071136123009740800

There's a whole lot of "a whole lot going on here" going on here

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

That's amazing

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

take it to the Chat thread if you'd like, but what did you think of this system? I bought it for cheap last year and have been thinking of running it
Alright so Arcana Evolved... I love and hate it.

On the good side, it's unusual and gonzo, usually in interesting ways. Monte Cook is good at worldbuilding, and he does a solid job here. The classes and races are (mostly) interesting, and he does some neat twists on d20 like racial levels.

On the bad side, it's a Monte Cook game.

Class balance is all over the loving place. Oathsworn, Mageblades, and Witches are all terrible. On the other hand, Greenbonds and Wizards Magisters are both extremely flexible and incredibly powerful - they set a selection of spells for the day, then freely cast among those spells (including going up or down levels with extra/bonus slots). In theory there are less save-or-die spells, but there's still plenty of save-or-suck.

And if that's not enough, feats let you add templates to spells. Which can do things like add stun for a few rounds. For free. On that fireball you cast. Or, like, change the saving throw to use the target's Intelligence modifier instead of the normal one. And so on.

So yeah. I loved it but could never go back.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Soeaking of Oathsworn, just like 3E Monks a lot of the class is centered around a weird grab-bag of resistances and immunities that end up meaningless in play. One of the less dumb ones, as with the 3E Monk, is spell resistance. The community at the time jokingly referred to this as "Eschew Sucking".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NGDBSS posted:

Soeaking of Oathsworn, just like 3E Monks a lot of the class is centered around a weird grab-bag of resistances and immunities that end up meaningless in play. One of the less dumb ones, as with the 3E Monk, is spell resistance. The community at the time jokingly referred to this as "Eschew Sucking".

I remember asking a friend who was far more into 3E than I was what the Monk was good at. He thought about it for a good bit, shrugged, then said "not dying, I guess." It made the class sound riveting.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I played a Mageblade in an Arcana Unearthed/Evolved game back in the day and can confirm they were hot trash. Huge newbie-trap class.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Like, you can take a feat which gives you improved access to Acid spells and also gives you an Acid template which you can apply to any spells you cast. This is a real thing you can do, and I am not making it up.

quote:

Acid

Caustic casters use spells that are purely destructive. A foul, eyewatering odor accompanies the casting of spells with this template. This template can be added to any spell that can inflict damage upon an object. If casting it at an object, the character can ignore the object’s hardness for the purpose of the spell and destroy twice as much nonliving matter as normal. (A disintegration spell, for example, could affect two 10-foot cubes.) Spells with this template gain the acid descriptor. If the spell already has the acid descriptor, the target is stunned for 1 round per 20 points of damage inflicted.

Cost: Material component (20 gp worth of a caustic substance).

Gained: From the Energy Mage feat or a decanter of acid.
Notice the lack of a saving throw? "But dwarf," you say, "how many spells are there than do acid damage"

Well, there's not tons, but the game's Super Fireball But Actually Any Energy You Want spell does the trick handily.

There's another one, which is basically "all your spells get +1 to their save DC, and you can spend double slots to increase that to +3"

Oh and this one I alluded to, which I was also not making up.

quote:

Runic

Users of this template who are not runethanes or rune lords are typically called runecasters. They reduce spells to mathematic formulas and complex symbols. When a runecaster casts a spell with this template, strange and arcane symbols appear to float in the air all around her. One can apply this template to any spell that requires a saving throw. It requires the spell’s target to modify the saving throw with its Intelligence ability score modifier rather than the standard ability score (Constitution for Fortitude saves, Wisdom for Will Saves, Dexterity for Reflex saves), because it must deal with the overwhelming complexity of the spell’s intricacy.

Cost: Standard-action spells have a casting time of 1 round. All other casting times are doubled.

Gained: From the Runecaster feat or 1st-level runethane or rune lord.

SO yeah.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Runes, that famously mathematical and scientific language of Norse mysticism

Monte has a dozen different ways of getting on the Magic is Super Science train and they're all boring and stupid

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Antivehicular posted:

I played a Mageblade in an Arcana Unearthed/Evolved game back in the day and can confirm they were hot trash. Huge newbie-trap class.
Yeah, all the part-casters except maybe Runethanes are seriously terrible. And it's a shame because Witches and Mageblades have such great flavor.

For real, the full casters in the game just run the table after about 5th level or so. There's so many ways to make your spell DCs astronomically high, your best spells are extremely spammable, and each spell is really 3 spells with a lesser and a greater version if that floats your boat.

By like 10th or 11th level it became impossible to challenge both the spellcasters and the other characters in the party in a single encounter. Even without as many save-or-dies, it gets old when a caster can toss out effectively limitless quantities of not-fireballs in whatever element or energy best suits the situation.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I remember Runethanes being silly not because of their spells (2/3 casting) but because they could prepare a wide variety of stored effects for later use. Some of them got really silly, like mimicking at-level spells or quick summoning. If you really wanted to indulge your inner accountant there was even a cheap magic item to make more of them at once. (Normally you were limited to one point of effects per level and the best stuff started at 4 points before you tacked on extras.)

It also didn't hurt that they got the Runic template for free, but that paled in comparison to buying a bunch of Runeplate (or whatever that property was) crossbow bolts and blowing enemies away with touch attacks.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 6, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Halloween Jack posted:

The tech gaffes don't bother me as much. (Shadowrun, at least, got around data issues by putting everything in "Megapulses" and said that ordinary text, image, and video occupies a trivial amount of space. But it still has its gaffes, the most immediately visible one being the Pocket Secretary, a brick-sized PDA.)

The thing that consistently weirds me out is when the authorial stance seems to be that being a hyper-atomized off-the-grid anarcho-libertarian is a good thing. I mean it's a reasonable response to living in neolib hellworld, but I wouldn't say it's good.

The pocket sec doesn't even bother me today. It's a smartphone through the lens of 1989.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Liquid Communism posted:

The pocket sec doesn't even bother me today. It's a smartphone through the lens of 1989.
Misunderestimating mobile communication technology could be said to be on-brand for the cyberpunk genre - Neuromancer famously had sapient AIs, space cities, brain-computer interfaces, vat-grown enhanced organ transplants - and banks of pay phones.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FMguru posted:

Misunderestimating mobile communication technology could be said to be on-brand for the cyberpunk genre - Neuromancer famously had sapient AIs, space cities, brain-computer interfaces, vat-grown enhanced organ transplants - and banks of pay phones.

I thought analog technology was liked due to not being on the grid, so to speak. Like paper money vs credits. Hell we're at the event horizon of an awful technofuture and we still are based on analog phone tech

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Halloween Jack posted:

Are we presuming that being Mormon means being pro-Trump?Trump hammered Romney's religion pretty hard back in 2012.

But this is a pretty "out there" portrait, I'll give you that.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Libertad! posted:

Are we presuming that being Mormon means being pro-Trump?Trump hammered Romney's religion pretty hard back in 2012.

But this is a pretty "out there" portrait, I'll give you that.

considering mormons tend to be terrible racist bigots going from mormon secret underpants planet owner to trump maga chud doesn't seem like much of a leap tbh

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Personally, and due to family history, I'll never forgive Mormonism for being buddy-buddy with Apartheid South Africa, and also they declared that black people have the same kind of souls as white people (well, black men the same kind as white men, women are still not full members of the church) in the 70s for political concessions from the American government. It's one thing that they ever had to officially make that ruling and another that the church of Mormon refused to budge until they were threatened with loss of tax-free status iirc.

The Scientology of the early 1800s.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Libertad! posted:

Are we presuming that being Mormon means being pro-Trump?Trump hammered Romney's religion pretty hard back in 2012
She also follows a ton of super-chud people and retweets them.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I look at her twitter feed and see none of that. She says she left the church because being gay and Mormon didn't mix well and everything else seems all art stuff. Are you maybe mistaking her for someone else?

https://twitter.com/tnielsenart/status/1071519762969063424

Looking up her art the only article I can find her being quoted on talked about how she likes that better representation has become a regular part of art direction in Magic.

http://www.krcu.org/post/interview-artist-terese-nielsen#stream/0

Last bit of what is starting to feel a little too investigatory on my part is that she seems to follow a bunch of politicians and journo's including Drudge, Hillary Clinton, Berny Sanders, Adam Schiff, James O'Keefe and Barrack Obama. So gently caress if I know what her politics are based on that.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 7, 2019

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sorry bud ive already made up my mind

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eugh, my GMing definitely takes a hit when I’m doing it after work, and especially when I’m sleep deprived. That was garbage. I’m pretty sure there was a good 10 seconds where I just stared blankly at my notes trying to think of what happens next and all I could think up was “uh you trip or get caught on something”. :saddowns: I’m genuinely beginning to think that running a PbtA game after work is too much for one day.

God I’m loving tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

Alright so Arcana Evolved... I love and hate it.
Thanks a lot for the feedback