Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

I've never played it but green hell is advertised like that. Not sure of the games quality though. Afaik no supernatural elements but very hard.

Green Hell advertises that it simulates every single organ in your body's function and all the various ways you can fall ill because of it. Not sure if the game is actually GOOD but hey.

Got to the end of The Forest. Kind of takes a turn in the last part, but a good turn. Creepy as hell. Loved it. And hey, beating it unlocks Creative Mode! Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Green Hell is a fun game until you get used to it and then it's incredibly easy. You can have almost everything you need for a base set up on the second day, and you'll be tripping over food once you get the hang of things.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wow, there's a post-game goodie in The Forest. An artifact that can be switched to "glows blue" or "glows red" for repelling or attracting cannibals and mutants. If you stick it in the ground it has a wide area-effect, if you just hold it in your hand it's more localized...and the cannibals growl at you frustratedly that they can't bring themselves to get closer to you. Love it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Greetings from Muldraugh, KY

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I just fired this up last night since I realized I hadn't tried it out since they added weather, cars, and all the other recent stuff. I forgot how unintuitive a lot of the interface can be. Things not showing up in the right click menu unless you have the necessary items in your inventory means you end up stumbling over a lot of poo poo by accident, like using sheets as curtains to hide from the Zeds in your safehouse.

Item scarcity in the game is pretty unforgiving too. Finding a decent weapon is a game changer, but clearing house after house with a kitchen knife or claw hammer until you get something good is tedious as hell. Things like food and water are pretty easy to come by once you realize you can just drink from the tap. I forgot how much it hurts not having any points in carpentry as well, breaking down furniture for planks is a crapshoot without it.

One thing I do wish is that your character's background had some influence over your starting items and/or location, instead of just dropping you in a random house on the map and letting the RNG decide if you make it more than a couple hours without getting swarmed. That said, the "oh poo poo" factor when you step outside and realize there are clusters of zombies EVERYWHERE and you have to run for your life is pretty fun in its own right.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I just finished searching every goddamn thing in the entire town of Rosewood and did not find a single saw, and I have Lucky :argh:

NatasDog posted:

Item scarcity in the game is pretty unforgiving too. Finding a decent weapon is a game changer, but clearing house after house with a kitchen knife or claw hammer until you get something good is tedious as hell.

I think it's not unreasonable to use a mod that allows crafting a bat, because for gently caress's sake it's a heavy stick. Some of the item scarcity is just excessively ~game design~ and really annoying as gently caress.

e: There is a More Traits mod that adds some 1-point "start with a few items of a certain category" that are mutually exclusive (i.e. you can only pick one)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 27, 2019

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I just finished searching every goddamn thing in the entire town of Rosewood and did not find a single saw, and I have Lucky :argh:

I think it's not unreasonable to use a mod that allows crafting a bat, because for gently caress's sake it's a heavy stick. Some of the item scarcity is just excessively ~game design~ and really annoying as gently caress.

e: There is a More Traits mod that adds some 1-point "start with a few items of a certain category" that are mutually exclusive (i.e. you can only pick one)

That sounds like a neat option. I was scouring the workshop for a mod that added some kind of a basic item to each of the predefined classes(Hammer for carpenter, axe for woodsman, pistol for cops, etc.), but it doesn't seem anyone's bothered. I might mod it into my own game if I get bored of the running for my life until I get a baseball bat or something part of the game eventually, but :effort:

That said, my most recent start has been great. I started in Muldraugh and whilst running for my life found myself at the lumber mill. Other than two zombies inside one of the bathrooms it was empty and while looting I got a saw, hammer, axe, two boxes of nails, and screwdriver; so pretty much all my immediate crafting needs are met. I got enough planks from sawing up logs in the warehouse to completely barricade the breakroom since I'm sleeping on the couch there until I can make a bed, as well as put up a 2 plank barricade inside and outside all the exterior windows and glass doors so I can still see outside them. I'm pretty much set for the foreseeable future; food and medical supplies notwithstanding.

There were also two cars with their keys lying on the ground in the parking lot, one of them with a full tank of gas. Needless to say my next forays will be into town to stock up on rest of the basics and basically "win" the map at that point barring any crazy bad luck.

E; Welp. Got overconfident and tried kiting like 30 zombies while I was out scavenging. It ended exactly as you'd expect. Think I'll try to make it over to the lumber mill again on my next run though. The only thing lacking there was an oven and I can just live with using the microwave. Having a logging camp and a means to process it all in one place is just an awesome jump start to the early game.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 28, 2019

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Knives and screwdrivers are totally the best weapons in Zomboid. That game is really fun with the cars now. It's fun to drive around the map raiding gas stations as you go, with a generator in the trunk to hook up to the gas pumps when the power finally goes out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I feel like an important question to ask in any game is, can you do war crimes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

reversal of fortune :ohdear:

Trying the Descending Fog challenge, I had gotten to this warehouse full of boxes with poo poo I needed pretty badly, had a giant throwdown and killed about 80 zombies to secure it, and had built a fire to avoid freezing and get rid of some bodies ... more zombies came and ruined everything :emo:

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Knives and screwdrivers are totally the best weapons in Zomboid. That game is really fun with the cars now. It's fun to drive around the map raiding gas stations as you go, with a generator in the trunk to hook up to the gas pumps when the power finally goes out.

I have the worst luck with knives. They're great for individuals and maybe a couple at a time, but I always end up getting mobbed eventually or it breaks when I really need it and I end up getting bit. I had a hell of a game going with a hunting knife once, but I got overconfident and took on like 8 at a time and got surrounded, bit, and spent the last few days frantically trying to get my hands on disinfectant and a needle to stitch myself up as I slowly died.

e; The spiked baseball bat and axes are my jam with their almost guaranteed knockdowns. They're not without their drawbacks, like having to equip them two handed for maximum effectiveness, but I can live with that. Now that cars are a thing it's not like having an extra bag in your off hand is really all that necessary anymore.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 29, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You need to be really liberal with push (spacebar) any time there is more than one opponent coming at you. Also I made a mod that allows crafting the vanilla ice pick, which is fine for the stab move but worse than the screwdriver otherwise. Prison inmates make stabby things out of toothbrushes and bars of soap, I don't think it's unreasonable :shrug:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1636895481

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

You need to be really liberal with push (spacebar) any time there is more than one opponent coming at you. Also I made a mod that allows crafting the vanilla ice pick, which is fine for the stab move but worse than the screwdriver otherwise. Prison inmates make stabby things out of toothbrushes and bars of soap, I don't think it's unreasonable :shrug:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1636895481

Weapon variety is one thing this game doesn't have a lot of unless you count the bullshit ones like spoons, pens, and whatnot. Considering the amount of effort they put into stocking containers with useless poo poo that has no in-game purpose other than to clutter your inventory while you puzzle out "do I need this eventually or not?", it's kind of weird they skimped on weapons.

Also, are the signs in this game next to useless? I made one last night to try and organize what is quickly becoming a nightmare hellscape of crates full of random poo poo we pick up scavenging. Turns out you can only paint a skull or arrows on them. I was hoping I could just add a quick note like "Medical Supplies" or something to them, but so much for that pipe dream.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's a mod for Zomboid called Hydrocraft that adds a lot of items to the world. Most servers use it.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

NatasDog posted:

I have the worst luck with knives. They're great for individuals and maybe a couple at a time, but I always end up getting mobbed eventually or it breaks when I really need it and I end up getting bit. I had a hell of a game going with a hunting knife once, but I got overconfident and took on like 8 at a time and got surrounded, bit, and spent the last few days frantically trying to get my hands on disinfectant and a needle to stitch myself up as I slowly died.

e; The spiked baseball bat and axes are my jam with their almost guaranteed knockdowns. They're not without their drawbacks, like having to equip them two handed for maximum effectiveness, but I can live with that. Now that cars are a thing it's not like having an extra bag in your off hand is really all that necessary anymore.

They do take some getting used to but I love the insta-kills that knives give you. I think they're quieter too IIRC. It's a been a while since I played. Unless you have a few points in weapon skills, axes and bats tend to just wound zombies, turning them into crawlers that play dead and try to ambush you and leap out at you when you get close. In a game where even one scratch can kill you, that can be a problem. I've lost a couple of characters that way. It can be real fun to bring out the axe sometimes and just hack through a big horde, but most of the time I end up creeping around with a knife. If a big group comes at me, I'll kite them back for a while or try to lead them through trees and around corners to get them to spread out a little. Then it's easier to stab them all.

I think the longest I've survived is a few months. I could've survived longer but there's just not much to do in the game once you've built your zombie fort and garden and have a huge stockpile of supplies. I wish the game would make the zombies migrate more and in larger numbers, just to force the player to stay on their toes and on the move. The game needs more weapons too but it seems they're waiting for their big animations update to implement them. The crowbar and rolling pin still use the baseball bat model even after all these years.

It's still my favorite zombie game though.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Flesh Forge posted:

I always played as a deaf guy for those extra points.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ivan Shitskin posted:

They do take some getting used to but I love the insta-kills that knives give you. I think they're quieter too IIRC.

They definitely are, yes.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
ICY: Frostbite is really freakin good you guys. I feel like I should've been hearing way more about this game.

Just beat it and I'll need to play it again soon to try siding with a different faction and making a few other changes to see what happens.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

don't link it or anything

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Flesh Forge posted:

It's called ICY: Frostbite Edition and has previously been mentioned in this thread, the place where I first heard about it. It can be found the way I found it by typing the three letters ICY on Steam hth

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

http://bfy.tw/M7PY

people like you are the worst. thank you zoe for not spoonfeeding him.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hmm yes, thanks for not spoonfeeding me I guess :shrug:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Qubee posted:

http://bfy.tw/M7PY

people like you are the worst. thank you zoe for not spoonfeeding him.

What a weird, lovely way to be.

I've been thinking about picking up The Forest. Are there sliders available to tweak things like damage and HP and stuff? I tend to enjoy a slightly more chill survival experience.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Saxophone posted:

I've been thinking about picking up The Forest. Are there sliders available to tweak things like damage and HP and stuff? I tend to enjoy a slightly more chill survival experience.

No, but there is a peaceful mode which turns off almost all monsters in the game. The disturbing visuals and everything are still there, and you will still want weapons to hunt wildlife, you just won’t have to deal with improbable numbers of angry cannibals and mutants everywhere.

e: also I got ICY on Zoe’s suggestion last week and she is correct, game is good. Wish I could find more medicine though, fights are pretty rough in that game.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 6, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

No, but there is a peaceful mode which turns off almost all monsters in the game. The disturbing visuals and everything are still there, and you will still want weapons to hunt wildlife, you just won’t have to deal with improbable numbers of angry cannibals and mutants everywhere.

e: also I got ICY on Zoe’s suggestion last week and she is correct, game is good. Wish I could find more medicine though, fights are pretty rough in that game.

And once you beat the game you also unlock "creative" mode for just endlessly building stuff if you want to experiment with ziplines and catapults.

By the way: it may not have FOOD crafting but Astroneer is absolutely about surviving on an alien planet by always being tethered to an oxygen supply, and it just came out in 1.0 with a lot of changes from its past self. Pretty good so far. It has one feature I wish was in every such crafting game: being able to turn the soil you're not using into common resources by centrifuging out the useful trace minerals.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Saxophone posted:

the unnecessary sass when all the information was in the post got to me

I'm real close to jumping on Astroneer but the gameplay seems shallow, I'm not sure if I should take the plunge, the price point worries me because I have no idea how many hours of enjoyment you can get out of it before things become tediously grindy just to flesh the game out.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Qubee posted:

I'm real close to jumping on Astroneer but the gameplay seems shallow, I'm not sure if I should take the plunge, the price point worries me because I have no idea how many hours of enjoyment you can get out of it before things become tediously grindy just to flesh the game out.

I've had it since early access and it's one of those games that I install, play for a couple hours, and then uninstall about once or twice a year. It has incredibly charming visuals, sounds and gameplay, but I just don't find it terribly interesting or challenging. I haven't spent more than a half dozen hours playing, and I feel like I've gotten what I'm going to get out of the game.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

kedo posted:

I've had it since early access and it's one of those games that I install, play for a couple hours, and then uninstall about once or twice a year. It has incredibly charming visuals, sounds and gameplay, but I just don't find it terribly interesting or challenging. I haven't spent more than a half dozen hours playing, and I feel like I've gotten what I'm going to get out of the game.

Thanks for the honest feedback, will wait it out and hope it drops further in price in some future sale. I figure I'll end up doing the exact same thing as you.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
This whole time I've been thinking ICY was ICEY, that weird anime waifu fourth wall breaking game.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Qubee posted:

Fair point, and same. Ain't no thing. Sorry for also being sassy.

Peaceful mode sounds....alright? I like the hunkering down aspect and defending, I'm just usually bad at shooting and defense so I like an easier time. Still, I'll check it out, thanks!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't imagine getting The Forest solely for the Peaceful mode. I mean yeah its kinda cool to wander around the island, and the building is kinda unique in the sense that you actually drag around logs and stuff, but without the cannibals I can't see it staying interesting for very long.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It would be like those Walking Simulator like firewatch.

The difficulty spike are ridiculous anyhow.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I imagine it'd be like Factorio with no biters. Game quickly loses a lot of it's interest when there's no outside pressure and you're free to just waltz around doing your own thing. The dynamic of having to rush to repair defenses and shore up weak points gives you something to do and livens the game up.

That being said, I can't play The Forest (even though it looks amazing) because I'm not in the habit of making GBS threads my pants when I sit down to play games.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Qubee posted:

That being said, I can't play The Forest (even though it looks amazing) because I'm not in the habit of making GBS threads my pants when I sit down to play games.

Yea same. I can't play Painscreek Killings because I've read you will encounter a creepy woman at some unexpecting point and lights might turn off mysteriously while searching through an abandoned hospital. I am a big fat pussy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Speedball posted:

Green Hell advertises that it simulates every single organ in your body's function and all the various ways you can fall ill because of it. Not sure if the game is actually GOOD but hey.

I was dead wrong back when I said this, it was SCUM I was thinking of, where they simulate the function of every organ. Still not sure if that means anything.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I definitely think Forest would benefit from a more intermediate state between peaceful and the current status-quo. Granted, I haven't played since well before 1.0, but when I played there were definitely some weird difficulty curve issues because:
1) 'Armor' was destroyed in just a couple hits
2) Your total HP pool is pretty low, so only a few hits from real opponents equals death
3) With default settings, depending where your base is, things can be a bit feast/famine - cannibal attacks and defending yourself can beget MORE cannibal attacks.

The closest way to an in-between state is I'd say someone should consider trying to play WITHOUT peaceful mode, but turn on the... iron forest(?) mode, where cannibals can't just break your giant log-based defenses by slapping them a few times.

Does the game still have the goofiest mechanic for building muscle? Their formula was super silly. I liked the idea, but hated the implementation.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
normal mode on Forest i feel is now pretty easy in terms of how much abuse you and your stuff can take; bone armor can stand up to quite a bit of a beating, but you still need to be pretty tactical and aware of how you're approaching enemies. if you get creepy armor you have to be pretty asleep at the switch to die to cannibals.

the thing is, the game is still ultimately not really set up to be a build-a-base-come-at-me-bro sort of game. fayk is still correct that in post 1.0, defending yourself against cannibal attacks raises their awareness of and hostility toward you, so you can either move locations to settle things back down or you can stay where you are and deal with more dudes next time. what you do instead is set up multiple smaller waystations and bases around the peninsula, with maybe one major base tucked in somewhere you honestly hope they never find. i handle this last part by just making a house boat personally. there's an artifact you can get in the post-game that activates horde mode if you like that.

the short version is that while the forest might not exactly scratch all your sensibilities, the long EA cycle it had has been good for the game insofar as there's been a lot of little things included to suit tastes.

re: strength building, it has been simplified a little bit. basically the deal is that the game keeps track of how many calories you've eaten and burnt that day, and every time you swing a weapon for any reason, it will either build muscle (if you have excess) or lose it (if you're running a calorie deficit). there's no longer any weirdness with good calories or bad calories and crap like that, you're either building muscle because you have a calorie surplus or you're not because you've got a deficit. even on the hard survival mode it's pretty easy to build muscle quick by just eating a ton of birds at the crack of dawn and then swinging a bone, not that that actually matters because if you're playing on the hard survival mode, you are doing most of your fighting with a bow, which is not affected by strength. i've co-oped through the game like 3 or 4 times now (and i am always down for a 5th) and i've never ended up with more than like 25-28 strength because it just doesn't matter at all.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Astroneer has changed significantly upon release. It is somewhat less grindy than I thought it would be, though research items have been nerfed in quantity (you can get just as much by just plugging in minerals to your research station though, if you don't mind wasting resources). It seems there is now an actual goal besides just dicking around on the alien planet; I've found some weird monoliths that require a lot of power to activate.

And blasting off to another planet just changed the game entirely. Before, I was on a verdant earthlike planet with plenty of space to build and lots of wind and sunlight for easy power (and a base shelter that generated a tiny bit of its own power so I was never out). Now I'm on a moon with a very short day/night cycle and no atmosphere, so no wind generators (and the solar generators are feast-or-famine naturally) but it has resources the first planet didn't.

Additional complication in the form of how much more cratered this biome is, making travel trickier. I suppose I could try to carve a path through all the mountains between craters, but there's no easy solutions here. Oh, and I did do something I've never done before, make a resource train by hooking a bunch of trailers up to a truck and rolling around to deliver stuff (your base inventory is pretty limited).

Looks like they got rid of the "vehicle bay" fabricator and just put vehicles into the other fabrication machine slots.

And you can slide downhill on natural slopes or on slopes you made yourself. Makes getting to the bottom of caves a lot faster and more fun, heh.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Coolguye posted:

normal mode on Forest i feel is now pretty easy in terms of how much abuse you and your stuff can take; bone armor can stand up to quite a bit of a beating, but you still need to be pretty tactical and aware of how you're approaching enemies. if you get creepy armor you have to be pretty asleep at the switch to die to cannibals.

the thing is, the game is still ultimately not really set up to be a build-a-base-come-at-me-bro sort of game. fayk is still correct that in post 1.0, defending yourself against cannibal attacks raises their awareness of and hostility toward you, so you can either move locations to settle things back down or you can stay where you are and deal with more dudes next time. what you do instead is set up multiple smaller waystations and bases around the peninsula, with maybe one major base tucked in somewhere you honestly hope they never find. i handle this last part by just making a house boat personally. there's an artifact you can get in the post-game that activates horde mode if you like that.

the short version is that while the forest might not exactly scratch all your sensibilities, the long EA cycle it had has been good for the game insofar as there's been a lot of little things included to suit tastes.

re: strength building, it has been simplified a little bit. basically the deal is that the game keeps track of how many calories you've eaten and burnt that day, and every time you swing a weapon for any reason, it will either build muscle (if you have excess) or lose it (if you're running a calorie deficit). there's no longer any weirdness with good calories or bad calories and crap like that, you're either building muscle because you have a calorie surplus or you're not because you've got a deficit. even on the hard survival mode it's pretty easy to build muscle quick by just eating a ton of birds at the crack of dawn and then swinging a bone, not that that actually matters because if you're playing on the hard survival mode, you are doing most of your fighting with a bow, which is not affected by strength. i've co-oped through the game like 3 or 4 times now (and i am always down for a 5th) and i've never ended up with more than like 25-28 strength because it just doesn't matter at all.

Cool, thanks for the detailed writeup. As I said, I hadn't played in a while (but put in a lot of hours back well before ziplines were a thing). It's nice to hear armor lasts, because it used to be the kind of thing that went away in like two hits. The game's definitely fun, and I think friends make it better (And arguably easier to deal with the numbers of cannibals).

And yeah, strength building used to be a somewhat magic formula of eating certain foods (easy) and then chopping down a number (not too much, not too little!) trees etc that was just...silly. Honestly the main reason I wanted strength back then was (if I recall) to be able to carry more logs. But it doesn't matter.

Actual advice for someone playing the forest: Build a log sled ASAP, because they're just plain good and fun. And also they can be used for more than just logs!

EDIT: Does the bow still feel like UTTER poo poo? That's actually one of my biggest legit issues with the forest (Which as I said, I otherwise like). I've literally never played another game in survival-early-access-land that had such a crappy bow 'feel'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I was expecting ICY:Frostbite to be a bit more of a sandbox survival game but it's nice that there's a bit of a narrative/storyline to it as well. I imagine this kind of hurts replayability though. Still, for $2 it's been a steal.

The combat system is really neat and I like how bullets are both a currency and well...bullets. Really makes you want to avoid fights or at the very least use non-firearm methods of fighting.

My first run died when I explored a church where a bunch of Yetis were worshipping some religious relics and we got wiped out. I decided to do my 2nd run on easy as I was really struggling to keep up with food.