Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aithon posted:

Get 330 for centurio seals, then 360 for mendacity and beating up Kefka for the weapon, then higher for genesis/Alphascape/Orbonne/extreme dungeons, as normal?

Getting to Second Lieutenant is the order of the day, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Rastan Beeza posted:

Meracydia is the hostile southern continent, right? Would that be along to the west of Doma? If Male Viera attack outsiders, it would fit in lore-wise with how Meracydians are deeply suspicious of outsiders.

meracydia has not yet appeared on any maps, viera are so far as we know native to southern othard. plainsfolk lalafell are descended from migrants heading northward from meracydia's outlying islands, as I recall

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
In light of pre-ordering Gunblade Rabbits not immediately giving you access to HW and SB, would it be wise to resub and casually float through the rest of ARR until July? Furthest I got in the MSQ was around Titan? Is that enough available content to last those months?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Schubalts posted:

In light of pre-ordering Gunblade Rabbits not immediately giving you access to HW and SB, would it be wise to resub and casually float through the rest of ARR until July? Furthest I got in the MSQ was around Titan? Is that enough available content to last those months?

Depends on how quickly you play, but... eh, not really. 2.x MSQ is maybe a month or so at a reasonable pace, starting from the beginning. 2.0-4.5 is a few months, though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Schubalts posted:

Yes, if you do the optional patch content and don't play 8 hours a day, which you should because it's some of the best in the game.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
The next expansion takes place entirely within the grounds of the manderville vacation home

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

meracydia has not yet appeared on any maps, viera are so far as we know native to southern othard. plainsfolk lalafell are descended from migrants heading northward from meracydia's outlying islands, as I recall

Nah, lalafells are from the Cieldalaes islands, which are south of Vylbrand (La Noscea). Catgirls are the ones that migrated from Meracydia during an ice age.

e: also it's somewhat implied that lalafells are the byproduct of allagan genetic experiments

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 6, 2019

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mymla posted:

Depends on how quickly you play, but... eh, not really. 2.x MSQ is maybe a month or so at a reasonable pace, starting from the beginning. 2.0-4.5 is a few months, though.

Verranicus posted:

Yes, if you do the optional patch content and don't play 8 hours a day, which you should because it's some of the best in the game.

Well, I have a job and do most of the cooking at home, so it definitely won't be getting 8 hour days. Ehhh, I can always just cancel the sub again if I do run out of things to do.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

This leaves only one answer: time travel

guys you dont need to spoiler tag speculation.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Can someone give me an idea of how I should be using my defensive cooldowns on WAR, especially on trash packs? The mobs in Bardam's hit hard. I think I have a good handle on the offensive side of things, but since the game just sort of hands them to you without comment I don't have a great idea of what defensive buttons to be hitting when. Looking at the various options I have available it seems like some are meant to be paired but I shouldn't be panic-popping them all at once. Like clearly I should be pairing Awareness and Raw Intuition, and there's no point in hitting Anticipation when Raw Intuition is up. Similarly I assume the damage reductions from Rampart and Vengeance don't stack so I shouldn't be using them at the same time. Is there a generally accepted order for which buttons to hit at the start of a big trash pull and when I should rotate in the rest of them?

(I know that some of the answer is "don't big pull in leveling gear in Bardam's" but I'm assuming I'll need to know this sort of thing anyway when doing EXDR once I'm fully geared)

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 6, 2019

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

KoB posted:

guys you dont need to spoiler tag speculation.

It's a joke. People get really angry when people suggest Time Travel

KoB
May 1, 2009

jalapeno_dude posted:

Can someone give me an idea of how I should be using my defensive cooldowns on WAR, especially on trash packs? The mobs in Bardam's hit hard. I think I have a good handle on the offensive side of things, but since the game just sort of hands them to you without comment I don't have a great idea of what defensive buttons to be hitting when. Looking at the various options I have available it seems like some are meant to be paired but I shouldn't be panic-popping them all at once. Like clearly I should be pairing Awareness and Raw Intuition, and there's no point in hitting Anticipation when Raw Intuition is up. Similarly I assume the damage reductions from Rampart and Vengeance don't stack so I shouldn't be using them at the same time. Is there a generally accepted order for which buttons to hit at the start of a big trash pull and when I should rotate in the rest of them?

(I know that some of the answer is "don't big pull in leveling gear in Bardam's" but I'm assuming I'll need to know this sort of thing anyway when doing EXDR once I'm fully geared)

I usually start big with Vengance, then use Rampart if I need to. BUt generally everything is dead before thats necessary.

Also at 70 you have Inner Release so if youre not confident in the healer keeping you alive you can just steel cyclone for 10 seconds which will give you plenty of health (rather than the much cooler and more fun Decimate).

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

jalapeno_dude posted:

generally the bigger the pull the stronger the defense cooldown you want to use early in the fight. So pop vengeance early when you've got the majority of the dudes beating on you. Once that wears off if you still need more defense then use rampart. The more damage you can prevent during the biggest part of the pull means your healers have more room to AoE and burn them down faster

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

jalapeno_dude posted:

Similarly I assume the damage reductions from Rampart and Vengeance don't stack so I shouldn't be using them at the same time. Is there a generally accepted order for which buttons to hit at the start of a big trash pull and when I should rotate in the rest of them?

They do stack but they multiplicatively stack, IE you're not getting 50% damage reduction with both up, you're getting like 43.33% or something.

In general you want to rotate your defensive CD's and use them in order of what you need them. For example, Vengeance is your biggest defensive CD and it deals damage as you get hit so you want to use it at the start of a big pull to get the most out of both aspects of it. Then you can use Rampart or Raw Intuition + Awareness depending on how many dudes are still up and how much damage you're taking. Then something weaker like Convalesence if you didn't use it with Vengeance or something else.

It's the same principle for bosses although your balancing your defensive rotation around what tank buster the boss uses.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Lol if you think the expansion will be anything besides time travel.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If we time travel I hope they rollback the combat changes when you're time traveling to a time before they were implemented.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The reason there's no Garlean zones listed so far is that the 5.0 Eureka equivalent is Garlemald, it's mandatory, and mounting is not unlocked until elemental level 120.

Garleans just think they can't just magic because their elemental levels aren't high enough to unlock aetheryte travel.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah, lalafells are from the Cieldalaes islands, which are south of Vylbrand (La Noscea). Catgirls are the ones that migrated from Meracydia during an ice age.

e: also it's somewhat implied that lalafells are the byproduct of allagan genetic experiments

Yeah. Between the description of the Onion Knight minion, the varios Azys Lla fish that mention finding it a bank of waving lalafell limbs, etc and the fact that Lalafell didn't start getting prominent in Eorzea until after the fall of Allag there's enough there there that you could make that case pretty easily if you wanted.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cabbit posted:

The reason there's no Garlean zones listed so far is that the 5.0 Eureka equivalent is Garlemald, it's mandatory, and mounting is not unlocked until elemental level 120.

Garleans just think they can't just magic because their elemental levels aren't high enough to unlock aetheryte travel.

:shepicide:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Fister Roboto posted:

Waaaaaaaaay back in the day, the failed Warhammer MMO gave you the ability to designate an offensive target and a defensive target. All your offensive abilities would be targeted at the former, and buffs and heals would be targeted at the latter, and there were even some abilities that did both at once (deal X damage to your offensive target and heal your defensive target by Y). It was one of the best ideas that game had and I've never seen it implemented in others.

EQ2 had smart targeting way back when. The way it worked was great:

If you were targetting an enemy, your offensive actions would go to your target and your heals/buffs would go to the friendly that the enemy is targetting.
If you were targetting a friendly, your heals/buffs would go to the friendly (your target) and your offensive actions would fire on the enemy your target was targetting.

Yes, you can kind of duplicate this in FF14 with macros, except that FF14 macros are garbage to actually use and this really should be the default behavior.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Olesh posted:

EQ2 had smart targeting way back when. The way it worked was great:

If you were targetting an enemy, your offensive actions would go to your target and your heals/buffs would go to the friendly that the enemy is targetting.
If you were targetting a friendly, your heals/buffs would go to the friendly (your target) and your offensive actions would fire on the enemy your target was targetting.

Yes, you can kind of duplicate this in FF14 with macros, except that FF14 macros are garbage to actually use and this really should be the default behavior.

I'd forgotten that EQ2 did that but I *knew* I remembered playing a game with this functionality once upon a time. And yes this would be way more welcome than having to keep an /assist macro button on my healer hotbars.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Actually, all non-lalafell are the products of Allagan experimentation.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Isn't there some quest or item that heavily implies lalas specifically are an allagan experiment?
e: I'm dumb and didn't notice this referenced a few posts up.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 7, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah. Between the description of the Onion Knight minion, the varios Azys Lla fish that mention finding it a bank of waving lalafell limbs, etc and the fact that Lalafell didn't start getting prominent in Eorzea until after the fall of Allag there's enough there there that you could make that case pretty easily if you wanted.

i think the onion knight minion just means that allag used automaton soldiers, not that their soldiers were wind-up minion sized. i do agree about aetherochemical compound #666 though. the truth is out there

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

The next expansion takes place entirely within the grounds of the manderville vacation home

Repeating the base game and both expansions would be incredibly boring though

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't there some quest or item that heavily implies lalas specifically are an allagan experiment?

Nightmare fuel.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Cool, thanks for the tanking advice all!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's a Koji meme because he loves him Lalafell bullying.

The Japanese descriptions don't mention a race other than "human", and I'm not sure they're planning on dividing the lore between regions.
Though you're free to choose to believe whichever one because invariably, the Allagans were behind all of this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have a problem. I keep getting classes to 70 and then never playing them again.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

jokes posted:

I have a problem. I keep getting classes to 70 and then never playing them again.

Same. The trick I've found that really helps is getting everything to 70 so there's nothing left to level.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

jokes posted:

:same:

It's why I quit BLM. I feel like once I hit lvl 70 there's low motivation to actually gear up since I can always just play on my better-geared RDM. Clearly, the only real solution is to make a alt in a new world.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alder posted:

:same:

It's why I quit BLM. I feel like once I hit lvl 70 there's low motivation to actually gear up since I can always just play on my better-geared RDM. Clearly, the only real solution is to make a alt in a new world.
Shouldn't you be able to equip most of your 70 RDM gear to BLM? Isn't it all Casting gear?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hogama posted:

It's a Koji meme because he loves him Lalafell bullying.

The Japanese descriptions don't mention a race other than "human", and I'm not sure they're planning on dividing the lore between regions.
Though you're free to choose to believe whichever one because invariably, the Allagans were behind all of this.

In English, at least, 'human' is used as a generic term for all the playable races. 'Hyur' is typically used for the explicit humies.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

RDM and BLM have the problem of favoring totally different substats. Mainly BLM wants all the spellspeed forever while RDM absolutely wants to avoid it at all costs.

Actually SMN also doesn't really want to touch spellspeed so BLM is just a special snowflake child that's not very compatible with the others gear wise.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

RDM and BLM have the problem of favoring totally different substats. Mainly BLM wants all the spellspeed forever while RDM absolutely wants to avoid it at all costs.

Actually SMN also doesn't really want to touch spellspeed so BLM is just a special snowflake child that's not very compatible with the others gear wise.

So in other words, BLM is the goon class :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not a DRG fan but they get amazing equipment, I hope they add cross-class glamouring soon.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cross class glamour, while neat on paper, would be confusing in alliance raids.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

As someone who tries to keep classes up to date so I can do EXDR with them the problem isn't substats, it's weapons. They take the most effort to maintain ilvls with. And sure it's like 'just run alphascape 4 a few times and collect 1k of the old tomestone, that's not bad' but when you have 11-12 classes to do that for... That's a lot of alphascape 4 runs. And old tomestones.

Most of my classes are still on ilvl 335 relics from when I did Anemos because that was pretty easy to get for them all :v:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 7, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It could also just as easily mean that they devolved lalafell into pond scum, because they're jerks like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the allagans realized that lalafell are the ultimate lifeform and attempted to emulate them