Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

People who can't appreciate a good owl deserve bad luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Neighbor owls are the best. I walk past this one sitting out every morning when I leave and on the way home most nights. :3:

Also, no more mice in our attic since it showed up!

Alpenglow fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 7, 2019

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Alpenglow posted:

Neighbor owls are the best. I walk past this one sitting out every morning when I leave and on the way home most nights. :3:

That owns.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Alpenglow posted:

this owl makes me really happy when i look at his sleepy owl face and fluffy owl belly
thank you for posting this good owl

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Trying to identify a lizard, not having much luck with internet sites that want to tell me about oddball lizards rather than just showing me what's around.
SD 197 Dragon by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

We took this picture on Saturday. We're in Armidale, NSW, Australia, and we were driving around about 30 km east of town when we came across this guy sunning on rocks in a nearly-dry creekbed.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

poverty goat posted:

No pics because it was far away and silhouetted against the sunset, but I just saw a HUGE horned owl on my neighbor's roof. This is the first time I've ever seen one in the wild around here. This is apparently an omen of bad luck, illness or death.

a few days after this I had a death in the family. dont gently caress with owls and hold your loved ones close when owls are afoot

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Intellagama lesueurii, maybe? They seem to be typically more heavily striped though.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Looks a lot like a brown colour morph of Eastern water dragon. Possibly a juvenile?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

the yeti posted:

Intellagama lesueurii, maybe? They seem to be typically more heavily striped though.

spongepuppy posted:

Looks a lot like a brown colour morph of Eastern water dragon. Possibly a juvenile?

This is the same answer as Twitter came up with. My fiancee, who actually took the picture using my camera, posted to her Twitter with the same question and given that she follows / is followed by a whole bunch of naturalists of various stripes, I'm pretty confident that you both are correct.

Thank you!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Isopods: https://imgur.com/a/9T2IDOA

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Looks like a fresh shed in that first one :3

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

the yeti posted:

Looks like a fresh shed in that first one :3

Is THAT why it's that pretty peach color? I see so many brindle ones that I wasn't sure if that was another orange morph.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The Red Queen posted:

Is THAT why it's that pretty peach color? I see so many brindle ones that I wasn't sure if that was another orange morph.

You know--I went looking and apparently there is a relatively common peach morph to an introduced species from the UK, see here: https://bugguide.net/node/view/552176 and here https://wormman.blog/armadillidium-nasatum-peach-isopod-care-sheet/

So it could be that! I honestly know about zilch about isopods so I figured it was doing that thing lots of exoskeleton havers do where they start white and gradually darken.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

If I'd ever get around to setting up a habitat and keeping some like I mean to, I'd know, but the time gets away from me. I'm in central Kentucky in a smallish town and am surprised at what a fantastic variety we have here.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Hey, what’s that dark spot on the park path pavement? Aahhhhh! Antmageddon!

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

NWS that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mister Mind posted:

Hey, what’s that dark spot on the park path pavement? Aahhhhh! Antmageddon!
those ants are really dirty, they need a soapy soak

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

birbs are migrating. I saw an eastern bluebird and a pair of tree swallows yesterday

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Not the most interesting critter, but a chonky boi all the same.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The birds and the bees (of the everglades)

https://twitter.com/elburbo_/status/1110211636177092610
https://twitter.com/elburbo_/status/1109548829068742657

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

birds of pungo

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

He looks like he has a mustache.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Desmognathus...something or other? (:shrug: I haven’t gotten down to counting toes and intracostal wrinkles and such yet.)

Southeastern PA, wet forest slope under bark

the yeti fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 2, 2019

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Clearly licorice flavored.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Red Queen posted:

Clearly licorice flavored.

They evolved to taste like black licorice so predators wouldn't eat them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mak0rz posted:

How can you tell? I only really know about the snaggletooth method, but that isn't good here.

Edit: whoops didn't realize you were the one that posted the picture to begin with and probably got a better look at it :sweatdrop:

I know I'm two months late, but you see one later and you see one in a while.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I stuck my phone waaaay into this conehead katydid's personal space and it didn't seem to mind.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

the yeti posted:

Desmognathus...something or other? (:shrug: I haven’t gotten down to counting toes and intracostal wrinkles and such yet.)

Southeastern PA, wet forest slope under bark

That looks like a leadback Plethodon cinereus (redback salamander) to me. Leadbacks are a very rare to extremely common (depending on location) color morph.

1-600-DOCTORB
Nov 29, 2004

Side effects may include gopherism, multi-brow, and tracheal meerkat colonies
Pillbug
This fuzzy friend decided to help out when I was weeding my planter by dropping out of the tree onto my head. Antheraea polyphemus, in upstate South Carolina. I relocated him to the woods behind my house.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ants I found building a cool leaf nest thing with their bodies to pull it together

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Best neighbor owl is back!

Alpenglow fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 17, 2019

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Had a female Callosamia promethea emerge today from a cocoon I found wild the other week.

I like big butts, and I cannot lie.

They have a ton of sexual dimorphism, the males are shiny blue-black with tan highlights.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Found this little feller on the floor.

What sort of spider is he

Apologies for the image quality. He's small and my cheap Chinese phone is bad at zooming

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FreudianSlippers posted:

Found this little feller on the floor.

What sort of spider is he

Apologies for the image quality. He's small and my cheap Chinese phone is bad at zooming

Looks like a pisaurid (nursery web spider) of some kind. Maybe Dolomedes, commonly known as fishing or dock spiders.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My ignorance is showing here, but all three of those types look like wolf spiders to me, just at different scales. Are they related or is it totally superficial?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Scarodactyl posted:

My ignorance is showing here, but all three of those types look like wolf spiders to me, just at different scales. Are they related or is it totally superficial?

I don't know how closely related they are but pisaurids and wolf spiders are often confused, yeah.

I will admit that I said it was Dolomedes based entirely on the shape of the prosoma ("head") and the white racing stripes. I could be very wrong. A way more reliable way is to look at the eyes, but none of those pictures make that possible.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 24, 2019

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Lots of wolf spiders have the stripes too (like the awesomely named "rabid wolf spider" in particular) so that doesn't end up being much help. Glad I'm not alone in mixing them up anyway.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Zen master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Scarodactyl posted:

Lots of wolf spiders have the stripes too (like the awesomely named "rabid wolf spider" in particular) so that doesn't end up being much help. Glad I'm not alone in mixing them up anyway.

Yeah I'll probably concede my ID now that I think about it. The spider I mentioned tends to be very large anyway.