Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

DalaranJ posted:

I'm just going to need you to confirm that that lion's mane is not composed of human dicks. We've been burnt before.

I am happy to officially confirm that the lion's made is not composed of human dicks.
Also what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Someone talk me out of the absolutely gorgeous PARKS.

Just buy the calendar or a print, the art is amazing, gameplay looks shallow.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Magnusth posted:

I am happy to officially confirm that the lion's made is not composed of human dicks.

I wanna say Kingdom Death.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Magnusth posted:

That was a joke about Kingdom Death, a board game that has some superficial similarities to your game.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

DalaranJ posted:

That was a joke about Kingdom Death, a board game that has some superficial similarities to your game.

That's a good game to never google then.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
Is anyone looking at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asmadigames/1001-odysseys ? I just don't have the wherewithal at the moment to examine if the game seems like it'd be fun to play, but it sure is pretty.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The_Doctor posted:

Someone talk me out of the absolutely gorgeous PARKS.

I think this is probably what you really want: https://59parks.net/collections/all

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Magnusth posted:

There is a thread about it here in Trad games but it might have fallen into the archives.

It's a fun read.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Magnusth posted:

It is absolutely a good game to never google.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Sentinel Comics RPG kickstarter has been live for about a week. For most RPG players (who generally aren't Sentinels of the Multiverse fans) the pitch is that for practical purposes it's Marvel Heroic Roleplaying 2e without the license - and substantially streamlined into something that doesn't need the world supply of d8s (indeed it's three dice to a dice pool).

And for those who don't know Marvel Heroic it's a cousin of Fate (Cortex+ system) that was very focused on the feel of a comic book - and was probably the best in class Supers RPG where you could write characters on an index card, but they still had enough mechanical bite to feel substantially different in terms of crunch even if no one plays with dice as much in this game as Tony Stark did when he was adjusting his armour in MHRP.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

It is absolutely a good game to never google.

I dunno, watching hyper-defensive fans try to rationalize the whole thing was pretty amusing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

neonchameleon posted:

The Sentinel Comics RPG kickstarter has been live for about a week. For most RPG players (who generally aren't Sentinels of the Multiverse fans) the pitch is that for practical purposes it's Marvel Heroic Roleplaying 2e without the license - and substantially streamlined into something that doesn't need the world supply of d8s (indeed it's three dice to a dice pool).

And for those who don't know Marvel Heroic it's a cousin of Fate (Cortex+ system) that was very focused on the feel of a comic book - and was probably the best in class Supers RPG where you could write characters on an index card, but they still had enough mechanical bite to feel substantially different in terms of crunch even if no one plays with dice as much in this game as Tony Stark did when he was adjusting his armour in MHRP.

I believe Cam Banks is/was involved with both as well, so it's got a pedigree.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Hauki posted:

I dunno, watching hyper-defensive fans try to rationalize the whole thing was pretty amusing.

The worst part is watching them argue you should ignore the poo poo because the mechanics are good. But the mechanics mean almost every single action requires a high variance dice roll*, and the game encourages grinding enemies, when there was already a low variety of enemies to fight. Seriously, who wants to grind the same encounter in a game where fights can take an hour each?

*Low variance dice can introduce risk management into a game. High variance dice leads to luck mattering more than decisions.**
** They argue it's like XCOM. But XCOM never forced the play to roll well with every action in base management or get screwed. XCOM doesn't ever ask the player to roll the RNG in base management.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I've played the Sentinels RPG at a couple of cons and it's really fun, I bought the starter pack a few years back--I'm excited they're finally going to be releasing the core product. My group really took to it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

GladRagKraken posted:

Is anyone looking at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asmadigames/1001-odysseys ? I just don't have the wherewithal at the moment to examine if the game seems like it'd be fun to play, but it sure is pretty.

It looks like Arabian Nights to the Nth degree.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

GladRagKraken posted:

The stories seem to have libertarian themes, although to be fair, that may just be the easiest way they could think of to replace violence in what is clearly intended to be a kid friendly game.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

golden bubble posted:

The worst part is watching them argue you should ignore the poo poo because the mechanics are good. But the mechanics mean almost every single action requires a high variance dice roll*, and the game encourages grinding enemies, when there was already a low variety of enemies to fight. Seriously, who wants to grind the same encounter in a game where fights can take an hour each?

*Low variance dice can introduce risk management into a game. High variance dice leads to luck mattering more than decisions.**
** They argue it's like XCOM. But XCOM never forced the play to roll well with every action in base management or get screwed. XCOM doesn't ever ask the player to roll the RNG in base management.

Are you saying that nearly every action having a 10% chance of death is insanely boring???

Got drat with some tweaking that game could have been interesting in terms of theme and the body horror bullshit instead you get to play a boring rear end game over and over again

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Yes, Cam is the lead designer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes, Cam is the lead designer.

More I couldn't remember who worked on MHRP.

I really miss MHRP.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

15mm modern French armour for your games of Team Yankee, Battlegroup NORTHAG, and whatever the Too Fat Lardies are cooking up for moderns

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Cerepol posted:

Are you saying that nearly every action having a 10% chance of death is insanely boring???

When your personal input matters that little, it becomes less like playing sports, and more like watching sports, which is a completely different type of fun. Snakes and ladders can be very exciting, but it lacks agency and input. In some ways, it feels like really old D&D. Oh no, Jonathon died. Time for Konathon to step up to the plate. The characters are so doomed that you don't even create any attachment to the individual. Just replace the name and reuse the character sheet. I can't even form proper attachments to the collective village, because of that ending.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the most hilarious thing about kingdom death was how in the face of outcry over the big titty models they overcorrected and did sexy lad models thinking that would balance things out

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Buck Wildman posted:

the most hilarious thing about kingdom death was how in the face of outcry over the big titty models they overcorrected and did sexy lad models thinking that would balance things out

Are you saying the MALE Dung Beetle Dancer didn't solve the problem? Gasp!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The funny thing is it might have actually worked if they'd done it preemptively, from the start. But they didn't. So it definitely didn't.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

The funny thing is it might have actually worked if they'd done it preemptively, from the start. But they didn't. So it definitely didn't.

Nah. Kingdom death has some really super hosed up stuff that just straight up doesn't fly. The pin up models weren't the worst part of it, not by a longshot.

I believe that's the penis tail of some rape monster in my avatar.

EDIT: Oh and hey the new TMNT mini game kickstarter has Usagi in. That's neat.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 6, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ah, I never actually bothered to learn how hosed it got after the lion made of breasts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrFlibble posted:

EDIT: Oh and hey the new TMNT mini game kickstarter has Usagi in. That's neat.

That's super tempting, it really is, but to get everybody I want I'd need to get both of the big package deals and money's too tight for that.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

That's super tempting, it really is, but to get everybody I want I'd need to get both of the big package deals and money's too tight for that.

Just back for Usagi dawg. I'm in it for him and the deviations turtles, unless they announce something kick rear end in the last 48 hours because my money is also tight but I am a child inside.

Also its the 35th anniversary of UY and Sakai is working on something for it, although i'm fairly sure its not kickstarter related.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They just passed the Metalhead tier and that shouldn't be as exciting as it is.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

They just passed the Metalhead tier and that shouldn't be as exciting as it is.

I was fine completely ruling out getting the whole package until someone pointed out that they pretty much have all the Turtles in time bosses in the game (minus Tokka and Razar).

And now its harder.

I had an american to eu converter for that game.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

GladRagKraken posted:

The system caught my eye, because "version of Tales of the Arabian Nights that doesn't devolve into aimless garbage" is one of those grails I'll never stop chasing (alongside "good version of Betrayal at House on the Hill"). And board game designs led by women are still rare enough to be noteworthy.

But *wow* the writing samples are sending me into diabetic shock. I have a decent tolerance for twee, but trying to sell me on a narrative game with stakes no larger than "intergalactic pillow fight" or "deciding the best place to eat cake" just takes the air out of any enthusiasm I might've had. Storybook doesn't have to mean toothless.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cerepol posted:

Got drat with some tweaking that game could have been interesting in terms of theme and the body horror bullshit instead you get to play a boring rear end game over and over again

It is a dark and gritty game for adults.
*rolls dice*
Now my character's name is Poopy the Eater of Dooky.

This is literally an event that can happen in the game.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

From the credits, as well as Cam, Dave Chalker, Philippe-Antoine Meynard, and Amanda Valentine were all in the core team for MHRP - and they and Amanda's husband are the listed designers from the RPG side here (almost everyone else listed is from Greater than Games/Sentinel Comics). They can't call it MHRP v2 for many reasons - but it's most of the same team taking the same sort of design directions.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Gutter Owl posted:

The system caught my eye, because "version of Tales of the Arabian Nights that doesn't devolve into aimless garbage" is one of those grails I'll never stop chasing (alongside "good version of Betrayal at House on the Hill"). And board game designs led by women are still rare enough to be noteworthy.

But *wow* the writing samples are sending me into diabetic shock. I have a decent tolerance for twee, but trying to sell me on a narrative game with stakes no larger than "intergalactic pillow fight" or "deciding the best place to eat cake" just takes the air out of any enthusiasm I might've had. Storybook doesn't have to mean toothless.

Bingo. I was interested after it got a shout-out from SVWAG but turned away for almost precisely the same reasons. Ah well. Plenty to back these days as is; someone will eventually make a story game I want.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

neonchameleon posted:

From the credits, as well as Cam, Dave Chalker, Philippe-Antoine Meynard, and Amanda Valentine were all in the core team for MHRP - and they and Amanda's husband are the listed designers from the RPG side here (almost everyone else listed is from Greater than Games/Sentinel Comics). They can't call it MHRP v2 for many reasons - but it's most of the same team taking the same sort of design directions.

Yeah, and the supers RPG lineage goes even further with the likes of Darren Watts and Christopher McGlothlin who did a lot of work for Champions and Mutants and Masterminds respectively.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Ah, I never actually bothered to learn how hosed it got after the lion made of breasts.

Try a decapitated woman's naked body being used as furniture. Goreans look at Kingdom Rape and say "too much".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anybody for an Attack on Titan/Monster Hunter/Shadow of the Colossus-esque game? Has a quickstart for the curious.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Needs cats and 11,000 calorie meals.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, and the supers RPG lineage goes even further with the likes of Darren Watts and Christopher McGlothlin who did a lot of work for Champions and Mutants and Masterminds respectively.

They're writing the fiction, not the mechanics, right? Not that Christopher McGlothlin wouldn't be my first choice for superhero fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

AAAAAAAA I got funded! My game about hunting giant monsters will definitely be a thing!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325743523/titan-hunt if you're interested! Aaaaaaa