Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

So I started Yakuza 4 since it's available on PS Now

Akiyama is a cool guy, I like him! if the remasters make these games look like Y0 I'm gonna be pretty happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How is mahjong so loving hard god drat

*Declares richi* *never gets the right stuff*

Edit; specifically the battle Royale in y6 lullaby mahjong so not even the hard one

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

individual865 posted:

Speaking of Y0 graphical settings, I hope these missing effects/cutscene issues are being worked on, would be nice to have at least graphical parity with the console release: https://steamcommunity.com/app/638970/discussions/0/1735463620081620247/
Yeah that would be good

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My early impression of Y4 is that while the graphics and stuff are somewhat chunky, the combat is still so drat good. Akiyama’s kicks and poo poo are real good

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Carlosologist posted:

Akiyama is a cool guy, I like him! if the remasters make these games look like Y0 I'm gonna be pretty happy

Carlosologist posted:

My early impression of Y4 is that while the graphics and stuff are somewhat chunky, the combat is still so drat good. Akiyama’s kicks and poo poo are real good

It probably won't look quite quite as good as Zero, but 5 is on the same engine as 0 and might actually look better (except for the faces since there weren't so many modeled on real folks) because it has way more people walking around on screen than Zero and an even larger number of moves and animations in combat and stuff plus a few more locations. The pacing of the combat is a little more like 6 and Kiwami 2 where you fight large groups of chumps you can effortlessly steam roll instead of it being 3-5 guys too.

Also don't watch if you don't want play characters/heat moves spoiled but :drat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hVIBIOTcMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsP6lpAfaoI

I kind of miss how 3/4/5 could have more blood and occasional breaking people's jaws/teeth getting knocked out an stuff. :3:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 2, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
So I'm new to Yakuza, having just got Yakuza 0 in the Humble Monthly, and drat do I love this game. My favorite games are the ones that ooze charm and character, and this one definitely does. Once I finish here, what should I expect for Kiwami 1? That's the remake of Yakuza 1, right? Is it just a polishing pass, staying as true as possible to the original, or do they rebuild it to add and modify in what I'm assuming are a bunch of quality of life things and new activities that have been developed in the ensuing years since the original came out?

Basically, how does it compare to 0, at least as far as mechanics are concerned? I'll still totally play it, but want to know how I should temper expectations.

(Akuma, for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure my Ch 6 end cutscene looked like the PS4 version of that video, and I'm on PC).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Someone earlier said Kiwami is an epilogue of Y0 and I think that is apt. It's a good game, worth playing, with a modern refresh in some areas; bear in mind though that some parts are like 15 years old. Y0 is more or less the pinnacle of the series, especially w/r/t the old engine.

Kiwami 2 is really good. It uses the new engine and there's a fleshed out weapons system, and the story moments are among the best in the series.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

HPanda posted:

So I'm new to Yakuza, having just got Yakuza 0 in the Humble Monthly, and drat do I love this game. My favorite games are the ones that ooze charm and character, and this one definitely does. Once I finish here, what should I expect for Kiwami 1? That's the remake of Yakuza 1, right? Is it just a polishing pass, staying as true as possible to the original, or do they rebuild it to add and modify in what I'm assuming are a bunch of quality of life things and new activities that have been developed in the ensuing years since the original came out?

Basically, how does it compare to 0, at least as far as mechanics are concerned? I'll still totally play it, but want to know how I should temper expectations.

(Akuma, for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure my Ch 6 end cutscene looked like the PS4 version of that video, and I'm on PC).

When taken back to back Kiwami practically plays like an expansion of 0. Look and feel is identical, it feels silly to call it a polishing pass since it's a complete rebuild in a new engine with new assets but I guess that's what it is for the most part. There is new content but nothing earth shattering, Majima Everywhere and a few substories that link to 0 in particular spring to mind along with some extra background for why Nishiki is doing what he does.

People's main gripes are that it has less content than 0, but from the same perspective it's still expanded on from the PS2 original and it's at a budget price for fucks sake so what did they expect?

Watch out for the health regen mechanic on the bosses though, a tutorial will make you think you've unlocked the counter for it but you actually have to go in and buy the skill after the tutorial. No shame in turning the difficulty down for the first boss because it's brutal.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
God damnit mahjong!!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
this happen the other night.

:allears: actually explains alot about the yakuza world.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yakuza 4 and 5 for PS3 are on sale in the PS store

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I must be strong and await the remasters

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
gently caress that, I picked up a used PS3 for 40 bucks. Figure by the time Kiwami 2 and 6 comes out on PC, I'll have finished 3,4,5 and kiwami.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought them all when they came out like you all should have done :colbert:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

drat, only for PS Plus (and not much of a discount at that), was hoping to put 5 on my secondary "country house" setup.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

When taken back to back Kiwami practically plays like an expansion of 0. Look and feel is identical, it feels silly to call it a polishing pass since it's a complete rebuild in a new engine with new assets but I guess that's what it is for the most part. There is new content but nothing earth shattering, Majima Everywhere and a few substories that link to 0 in particular spring to mind along with some extra background for why Nishiki is doing what he does.

People's main gripes are that it has less content than 0, but from the same perspective it's still expanded on from the PS2 original and it's at a budget price for fucks sake so what did they expect?

Watch out for the health regen mechanic on the bosses though, a tutorial will make you think you've unlocked the counter for it but you actually have to go in and buy the skill after the tutorial. No shame in turning the difficulty down for the first boss because it's brutal.

Any heat action will cancel the healing. Carry a weapon or use a pillar if you need to.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

univbee posted:

drat, only for PS Plus (and not much of a discount at that), was hoping to put 5 on my secondary "country house" setup.

it was on sale for reg a few months ago when i got them. dunno why they would limit it to plus only this time

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So what exactly is next in line for the Yakuza series?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Deceitful Penguin posted:

So what exactly is next in line for the Yakuza series?

For the West, Judge Eyes (Summer) and I guess the 3-5 Remastered at some point.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it's gonna be called "Judgement" in the west and this is not going to be the theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEkwHrzPtOk

which is a fact we all have to accept

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Steve Yun posted:

Only in the PS3 store yeah? Because if it's on PS4 store, I got something to buy real fast.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it's gonna be called "Judgement" in the west and this is not going to be the theme song

Wow, breakin the law

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Are the 3-5 remasters anything other then up-rezzed and improved framerates? Any additional content like Kiwami adds?

I already own 4 and 5 through PS+, wondering if it'd be worth to double dip when they're released. Unless the PS3 versions have some kinda of technical issues?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Spalec posted:

Are the 3-5 remasters anything other then up-rezzed and improved framerates? Any additional content like Kiwami adds?

I already own 4 and 5 through PS+, wondering if it'd be worth to double dip when they're released. Unless the PS3 versions have some kinda of technical issues?

They don't add anything, but Tanimura got facial reconstruction surgery and they cut a bunch of the dumb transphobic poo poo out. Presumably if and when Y3 PS4 comes to the west it'd include the stuff that was cut for the western release originally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a few differences in 3&4 but nothing really added it's mostly alterations because they had or wanted to change something (the removal of a very lovely chain of sub stories from 3, an actor being replaced for one of the playable characters in 4 etc), no ones knows what's different in 5 yet I don't think.

E: oh yeah 3 will most likely have shogi and hostess club stuff back in for the western version

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

3 remaster has yui from kiwami 1 and kana from kiwami 2 in it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I honestly really like waiting for them to come out on PS4, like I kinda hope they don't all drop at once. It's like waiting for the next film in a big action series, but a lot shorter. Plus they're fifty hours and I don't wanna get burnt out.

Though I do think I'll probably mainline Kiwami 2 and just do whatever substories I run into. I'm not interested in the Majima Construction stuff though I love seeing those wrestlers just using their real rear end names, though maybe I'll do the Cabaret stuff a bit, but building back up my perfect team from Yakuza 0 is a bummer. I did start the Majima saga stuff and that rules tho, I'll def do that. They got Takehito Koyasu to voice the prettyboy bad guy that Majima's probably gonna fight!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i can easily accept it because the Judge Eyes theme is already perfect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHxwO3mGpLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtvNWYcVby0

I honestly love this song, it's perfect for the daytime Japanese drama feel that Judge Eyes is going for. Like I want this to play after every 44 minutes of story

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
luv that dude whose smile is an act of violence

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Expect My Mom posted:

I honestly really like waiting for them to come out on PS4, like I kinda hope they don't all drop at once. It's like waiting for the next film in a big action series, but a lot shorter. Plus they're fifty hours and I don't wanna get burnt out.

Though I do think I'll probably mainline Kiwami 2 and just do whatever substories I run into. I'm not interested in the Majima Construction stuff though I love seeing those wrestlers just using their real rear end names, though maybe I'll do the Cabaret stuff a bit, but building back up my perfect team from Yakuza 0 is a bummer. I did start the Majima saga stuff and that rules tho, I'll def do that. They got Takehito Koyasu to voice the prettyboy bad guy that Majima's probably gonna fight!

i can easily accept it because the Judge Eyes theme is already perfect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHxwO3mGpLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtvNWYcVby0

I honestly love this song, it's perfect for the daytime Japanese drama feel that Judge Eyes is going for. Like I want this to play after every 44 minutes of story
K2 has the best substories of any of the games I've played so it's absolutely worth doing them. And the cabaret club is just as good as in 0 if not better , but I wouldn't get heavily into it until near the finale since one of the people you'll want to use a lot only becomes available in chapter 11 or so

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

K2 has the best substories of any of the games I've played so it's absolutely worth doing them. And the cabaret club is just as good as in 0 if not better , but I wouldn't get heavily into it until near the finale since one of the people you'll want to use a lot only becomes available in chapter 11 or so

Is it the grandma? She was my honorary platinum hostess.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

Is it the grandma? She was my honorary platinum hostess.

I haven’t reached chapter 11 yet and she’s also my VIP so they must be talking about someone else (assuming you mean the head mistress? Maybe there’s another grandma that’s coming)

I’ve also completed the cabaret storyline so whoever you get in chapter 11, you don’t need them; I’d say that if you like the cabaret game, just go for it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait are they cutting out the Okama poo poo?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I am the mahjong master come at me

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

In 3? Yeah.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I played a little bit of Yakuza 6, pumped the breaks and got 0 for the PC just to see how it all began and i gotta say, Badass Lady cutscene was one of my favorite things i've seen in a video game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

IIRC they even put out a statement saying it was lovely

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Can someone with more computer tech skills then me make a new version of :drat: , but It's Kiryu saying "That's Rad"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Spalec posted:

Can someone with more computer tech skills then me make a new version of :drat: , but It's Kiryu saying "That's Rad"

Oh god yes please

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Carlosologist posted:

Yakuza 4 is rough in parts for sure, but Y5, even on the PS3 is a better looking game than Zero imho. PS Now streaming really fucks with 4, rain for example completely breaks the codec. I found it so irritating I picked up a used PS3 and it's infinitely better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Here you go, somebody with obviously more disposable income than me

Only registered members can see post attachments!