Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

Thicker head hair and thinner body pelt? Is there a down side?

Nope. Going on estrogen was the single best decision of my life.

Oh. Wait. That was rhetorical, wasn't it?

Edit: New page, new comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

D.N. Nation posted:

This performative outrage over Bernie upstaging Abrams or whatever has yet to take into account that Abrams got great reviews and attention for her speech and no one actually paid much attention to Bernie's.
yeah, usually Pia has better takes. Especially with that Harris pre-buttal this collective hand-wringing about Bernie doing what he did the last two years is pretty dumb.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Cat Mattress posted:

All of their attacks are projections, the NPC meme is no exception.

I'm really hoping they're not projecting with that conspiracy theory that some pizza parlor is a combination child sex dungeon and child brain-juice harvesting facility to make celebrities young forever. I really want that one to just be crazy right-wing guys making up dumb bullshit. :ohdear:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

sheep-dodger posted:

yeah, usually Pia has better takes. Especially with that Harris pre-buttal this collective hand-wringing about Bernie doing what he did the last two years is pretty dumb.

It's not dumb it's a deliberate strategy to keep the war industry and corporations on top and picking all our politicians by a relentless smear campaign calculated to create a negative impression regardless of whether the facts of any individual attack are debunked

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Ratoslov posted:

I'm really hoping they're not projecting with that conspiracy theory that some pizza parlor is a combination child sex dungeon and child brain-juice harvesting facility to make celebrities young forever. I really want that one to just be crazy right-wing guys making up dumb bullshit. :ohdear:

Peter Thiel, an extremely right-wing businessman, is literally trying to start a business where old rich people buy the blood of young poor people in order to live longer. And this is the poo poo he's okay with saying in public (although with the backlash, he's been trying to quash the story).

Related data point: Over 1500 children of Mexican and Central American refugees are still missing.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I love that Garrison forgot to draw his if global warming why is it cold cartoon until after Chicago got 70 degrees warmer in a week.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

It's going to be honkin 78 degrees tomorrow here in Atlanta. The pink dogwood in front of my condo is in full bloom. It's loving February 6.

These people literally believe, or are paid enough to feign to believe, or don't believe anything other than owning the libs, that this + polar vortex = everything averages out to be A-OK, nothing to worry about, please continue letting energy companies write policy because are freedom.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zemyla posted:

Peter Thiel, an extremely right-wing businessman, is literally trying to start a business where old rich people buy the blood of young poor people in order to live longer. And this is the poo poo he's okay with saying in public (although with the backlash, he's been trying to quash the story).

Related data point: Over 1500 children of Mexican and Central American refugees are still missing.

What's the risk of getting a blood-born illness through a transfusion these days? Just curious...

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

there wolf posted:

What's the risk of getting a blood-born illness through a transfusion these days? Just curious...

Let's put it this way, expect Thiel to get his wish of living on long past his time as the namesake of 'Thiel's Disease'.

Also, the study this whole idea is based on was in knockout mice, which are of course essentially clones of each other. There's no real reason to expect similar results in humans.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

A reminder that Gary won the 2017 Gaybie for Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism) for this doozy:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Righto. What's his name, then?

McCoy following a well-trodden path.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Feinne posted:

Let's put it this way, expect Thiel to get his wish of living on long past his time as the namesake of 'Thiel's Disease'.

Also, the study this whole idea is based on was in knockout mice, which are of course essentially clones of each other. There's no real reason to expect similar results in humans.

All this tells me is Theil's got a basement full of clone vats somewhere.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Feinne posted:

Ridiculous. I'm sure applying the rigorous standards and quality control of a silicon valley startup to the field of medicine will work out perfectly fine.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
H8KU, one of the Nazi circle, just got determined as hateful on Twitter. No actual punishment yet.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The reason I left Twitter was the ridiculous tolerance for Nazis, what drove them to just even acknowledge that rear end in a top hat?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

By popular demand posted:

The reason I left Twitter was the ridiculous tolerance for Nazis, what drove them to just even acknowledge that rear end in a top hat?
So jack can say "see, we ban nazis, too".

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

there wolf posted:

All this tells me is Theil's got a basement full of clone vats somewhere.

Ideally to match the conditions he'd have arranged to be one of a set of identical twins produced by generations of inbreeding.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Somfin posted:

H8KU, one of the Nazi circle, just got determined as hateful on Twitter. No actual punishment yet.

ha, you got the notice too. Thank you for doing the needful.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Holy poo poo, a cohesive visual metaphor. If only the balloon was tagged with "public image" or something, it might not be despicable.

Unfortunately, it's a Kelly.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Holy poo poo, a cohesive visual metaphor. If only the balloon was tagged with "public image" or something, it might not be despicable.

Kelley.

Do not confuse S. Kelly, The Cartoonist America Turns To, with that no-good hack S. Kelley.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It's missing the ring.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Mikl posted:

I'm going on a tangent here, but it's bizarre.

Effects of estrogen on:

- Head hair? Thicker and lusher, and reverses male pattern baldness somewhat in some cases.
- Leg and arm hair? It thins out after a while, and becomes similar to cis women's body hair.
- Groin hair? Same.
- Beard? NOPE sorry y'all are SOL.

To be fair, if you take it with an androgen blocker, you can halt facial hair development in new areas, assuming you aren't at full beard status already

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Have any Democrats actually come out in support of Northam over this?

I know the right wing hacks are creaming themselves over being able to gloat that a Democrat did a racism, so I know they want to make sure that it looks like the party is Ride or Die with him, but have any Dems actually NOT condemned him and called for his resignation as fast as their PR reps could manage?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

The eventual candidate won the general election.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Thicker head hair and thinner body pelt? Is there a down side?
Breast development, possible sterility, change in mood, possible development of PMS every month. And so on.

Of course, whether these are down sides depends upon the person.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The loudest, most aggressive, populist who can unite all the disparate threads on the left by appealing directly to their shared hatreds and resentments. :thermidor::thermidor::thermidor:

Oh no, that sounds terrible...

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Robert Kraft basically put on a minstrel show minus the actual blackface while celebrating winning the Superbowl and somehow no one condemned him. Like gently caress Northram but gently caress everyone who would be saying boys will be boys if he had an R in front of his name. Even Trump commented and in 2016 he was still defending taking out a full page ad in the paper calling for the lynching of the Central Park 5.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Grimdude posted:

"Members of the opposition didn't applaud the meaningless self-masturbation of the president!"

gently caress these disingenuous hacks, my god. That last page or so was just full of horrible takes.

President Obama? No, sir, I don't think we've ever had a President by that name. I'm sure we'd applaud him if we did!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Somfin posted:

Huh. I got a notification on twitter about how my report on that guy was found to be valid. I don't remember them at all so THAT'S been sitting around for a long while.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Feinne posted:

I mean it'd probably make a human feel kind of better in that blood doping is a thing with measurable effects.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Feinne posted:

Also also, weren't they literally sewn together into parasymbiosis? As in, they didn't transfuse young mouse blood into old mice, they opened up both mice and connected their circulatory systems together into one combined organism - so there wasn't just young blood, there was also a young kidney to wash that blood, a young spleen to make more young blood cells, etc etc

fake e - googled it, there's a study on brain function increasing after a plasma transfusion, but there's also some parabiosis studies.
and yeah, lab mice are inbread to a degree that would make the french-british-russian royal family blush. They're bred to be extremely genetically similar so that results are replicable and control groups possible.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I said Govz n the Hood like a week ago, thank you very much!

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

So we're going to win all three branches of government? Sounds good to me!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What the hell is Tinsley talking about

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I mean it'd probably make a human feel kind of better in that blood doping is a thing with measurable effects.

Yeah, but don't you generally do that with your own blood, not someone else's? Because that's the trick of this, they basically are just blood doping in the lab mice study because lab mice are so genetically similar that transfusing blood from one to another might as well just be transfusing stored blood from the recipient mouse.

Lunar Suite posted:

Also also, weren't they literally sewn together into parasymbiosis? As in, they didn't transfuse young mouse blood into old mice, they opened up both mice and connected their circulatory systems together into one combined organism - so there wasn't just young blood, there was also a young kidney to wash that blood, a young spleen to make more young blood cells, etc etc

fake e - googled it, there's a study on brain function increasing after a plasma transfusion, but there's also some parabiosis studies.
and yeah, lab mice are inbread to a degree that would make the french-british-russian royal family blush. They're bred to be extremely genetically similar so that results are replicable and control groups possible.

Yeah I left out the parabiosis but that's another reason why it's hard to recreate the results that really pointed to 'hey maybe we can make this older mouse healthier'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Feinne posted:

Yeah, but don't you generally do that with your own blood, not someone else's? Because that's the trick of this, they basically are just blood doping in the lab mice study because lab mice are so genetically similar that transfusing blood from one to another might as well just be transfusing stored blood from the recipient mouse.

I thought using your own blood was just something athletes were doing to make it so you can't just do a DNA test and say "hmmm looks like more than one person in here" and that you could do it with any blood type that your body will accept.