Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Okay so I'm getting back into CK2 and there are things I don't remember.

When I was a Duke I could press weak claims for people that I seemingly had no connection to. They weren't my vassals, they weren't in my court, they weren't family members. Why can I go to war for someone's weak claim that's on the other side of Europe that I have apparently no relation to?

Also when raising a child, do I need to assign a guardian for them? Or is the childhood focus stuff enough for raising children?

Then got elected as the Holy Roman Emperor and poo poo got overwhelming. I can create 20 duchies and kingdoms. Should I do that? Why or why not? What powers should I abuse while I'm still emperor before I kick the bucket?

And there was one duchy I could usurp, even though I had no personal connection to it. Any idea why? I owned no land in it, they were my vassal, the game said I owned 100% of the de jure counties in it. I don't know why I could usurp it, and not others. I usurped it just to see what would happen and naturally the former duchess got mad, so I gave the duchy to a different count within the duchy and I could no longer usurp it. I don't know why the game gave me the option in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The only things I want from CK3 (naturally in addition to most the poo poo we already got in 2) is theocracies, and merchant republics to not be so hardcoded that even pdox can't do poo poo to change them.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
One thing I'd like to see in a CK3 is more options to meddle in the internal politics of other powers. Like, if there's a powerful independence faction in another kingdom, I should be able to offer my assistance to them. Or if I've got a claim on another lord's territory, I should be able to court his disaffected vassals to support my claim when I invade. There should be less of a distinction between my realm and foreign realms.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

Also when raising a child, do I need to assign a guardian for them? Or is the childhood focus stuff enough for raising children?

for your heir and backup heirs, be their guardian personally

for kids you care about, assign them a guardian who has good inheritable traits and an education aligned with whatever you chose for them

for kids you dont care about, the court tutor is sufficient

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I picked this up again and well...

"Should I just blind all of these children...

oh my god, I'm a monster."

My wife cheated on me so she got locked up and gave birth in prison. And while this was happening I was destabilizing the neighboring kingdom and that got children into pretty much every position. So she gave birth about six months before I won that war and now my dungeon looks like I've got a family separation policy and I can't let any of them out.

Maybe I can just close the intrigue tab for seventy years and the problem will take care of itself.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Random Stranger posted:

Maybe I can just close the intrigue tab for seventy years and the problem will take care of itself.

Generally the easiest way. Just don't forget about them, win a civil war, and then hit 'execute all' when dealing with all those guys.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Angry Salami posted:

One thing I'd like to see in a CK3 is more options to meddle in the internal politics of other powers. Like, if there's a powerful independence faction in another kingdom, I should be able to offer my assistance to them. Or if I've got a claim on another lord's territory, I should be able to court his disaffected vassals to support my claim when I invade. There should be less of a distinction between my realm and foreign realms.

Strongly agree. More types of Plot would also be nice.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Angry Salami posted:

I would LOVE to have some more Game of Thrones type options. Like if a vassal hates their lord, and their lord is at war with you, they can betray their lord and side with you. Stuff like that. Or perhaps being able to offer up things for land, or use marriages as a direct stick in more than getting a non aggression pact. Also more roleplaying tools. Like taking Way of Life further and adding more daily life events.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd like at least the ability to negotiate some kind of ceasefire with rebellions and civil wars of a country that you're attacking. Like I understand some peasant rebellions being too lowly to negotiate with, but a christian rebellion when you're fighting a holy war to recapture Christian lands?

I imagine the loyalty system they're figuring out with Imperator might add some more dynamism to CK3, although it could also break everything. At the very least I'd like the idea of having to court errant armies or hordes diplomatically.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I decided to try a 769 Gotland run. Not in Ironman, and modded a lot. But still. I started as a ruler designed Dragon on Gotland. My family are the only dragons in the world, with animals unlocked in the Ruler designer mod. Managed to claw my way to empire and filkyr. swore to the Ulfings in Ostergothia, and stabbed my way into dukedom, then from there steam rolled into Swedish king, conquered Saxony, got the Seaking bloodline and a warrior lodge bloodline. Killed the Karling brothers in duals after mocking them from my island with the antagonize option. Set up a Dragon vassal republic in Frisia as a gift to my clubfooted, harelipped, left handed, imbecile grandson. He prepares an invasion and takes Mercia. He then takes half of Ireland. Had the Immortal event fire, and won, with the hindu child guiding me. Ive burned, blotted, ate, dueled and sacrificed 200 people by this point. I bounce between cruel and kind for reasons i dont understand because of events.

Something went wrong at the age of vikings. reforming the faith before it fired, or a tech revamp mod, caused no one to have their ship building + ship yard. And i did not notice till 940 or so, thinking "Well, im a dragon, of course you didnt get the free stuff, its Germanic Norse that get it. Im Germanic Dragon. Wait.. why didnt any one else get.. mother gently caress!" So her eI am with 30 boats to try and move about 30k vikings between levies and retinues. gently caress!

I did have an amusing thing with the warrior lodge. a Newbie needed a duel. So the guy who it picks as an Easy Win is literally dead. he died in the day between being picked for the duel, and the pop up. needless to say, they felt it was beneath them.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

I mean, a lifetime of house arrest can't be THAT bad.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Worked for the Ottomans!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I remember a playthrough in which I blinded, castrated, disfigured and tortured one rebel that lost his Civil War (that took me years to fix) for ages and for some reason he never died. He spent a total of 42 years mutilated in prison and I never let him go just because gently caress him. Also I expected him to die way sooner.

Thus, house arrest is quite comfortable for sure!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

winterwerefox posted:

Something went wrong at the age of vikings. reforming the faith before it fired, or a tech revamp mod, caused no one to have their ship building + ship yard. And i did not notice till 940 or so, thinking "Well, im a dragon, of course you didnt get the free stuff, its Germanic Norse that get it. Im Germanic Dragon. Wait.. why didnt any one else get.. mother gently caress!"

I had nearly the same delayed realization with my Germanic Bear game. "Wait, shouldn't the Viking Age have started by now? Oh crap, that's only for literally Norse characters!"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Are there recommended message settings? I'm coming at this from EU4 and for the life of me I'm having a really hard time working out who is at war with whom and why.

After some hilarious false starts with the Merchant Republic, I've retreated to the Welcome Scenario to get my bearings. (Which I think might be broken/out of date in a few places? It kept giving me instructions for putting down the peasant's rebellion long after that was over, and then my Council got really mad when I went to war with the enemy the tutorial was telling me to attack.)

I'll be playing along and suddenly levies have been raised in my brother's domain and they're all marching somewhere and I can't tell what I'm meant to click on to figure out who is at war against whom over what. I'm used to the EU4 model of just clicking on a country and being able to easily see that country's relationships (rivals, war enemies, allies etc) and I haven't learn CK2 well enough to see that stuff. Clicking on portraits gives me some information, but I'm not seeing what I expect to see, or I don't know where to look.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

doingitwrong posted:

Are there recommended message settings? I'm coming at this from EU4 and for the life of me I'm having a really hard time working out who is at war with whom and why.

After some hilarious false starts with the Merchant Republic, I've retreated to the Welcome Scenario to get my bearings. (Which I think might be broken/out of date in a few places? It kept giving me instructions for putting down the peasant's rebellion long after that was over, and then my Council got really mad when I went to war with the enemy the tutorial was telling me to attack.)

I'll be playing along and suddenly levies have been raised in my brother's domain and they're all marching somewhere and I can't tell what I'm meant to click on to figure out who is at war against whom over what. I'm used to the EU4 model of just clicking on a country and being able to easily see that country's relationships (rivals, war enemies, allies etc) and I haven't learn CK2 well enough to see that stuff. Clicking on portraits gives me some information, but I'm not seeing what I expect to see, or I don't know where to look.

You see the three categories of shields in King Toke's character panel?

On the left, you can see his titles, they go from highest to lowest: The Kingdom of Sweden, a duchy, three counties.

In the middle, you see the titles he has a claim on. He has claims on two titles, and the green border around them means those are strong claims, which he can press at any time. In contrast to weak claims, which you can only press against female rulers or rulers under a regency, or if somebody else is also pressing a claim on the title.

And on the right, you see his big current diplomatic statuses: He's at war with whoever holds a title with that red-white checkerboard emblem (sword symbol under the shield), and has a truce with two other ruler (with a dove under their respective title emblems).

You can hover over those symbols to find out who your brother is at war with, or click on them to be taken directly to their war target.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The county display also shows the war participation of the owner(s) of the county.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

When the game decides its time to die, its time to die. Hit 76 got rabies, had my leg cut off curing it, healed fro mthe delimbing, went infirm and comatose anyway. Ah well, my homosexual chaste heir still had 8 kids. I married him to my 16 year old lusty, found in the woods lover, when he was 17 and not a single one of her pregnancies were his. My wife finally had me break it off after sleeping with my sons wife after like 40 years of being her lover. Did you know having your lovers as wife and concubines will still stress you out like you are sneaking around having affairs?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Everything I've heard about poly relationships makes them sound super stressful and that's before you have to worry about inheritance.:v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

winterwerefox posted:

When the game decides its time to die, its time to die. Hit 76 got rabies, had my leg cut off curing it, healed fro mthe delimbing, went infirm and comatose anyway. Ah well, my homosexual chaste heir still had 8 kids. I married him to my 16 year old lusty, found in the woods lover, when he was 17 and not a single one of her pregnancies were his. My wife finally had me break it off after sleeping with my sons wife after like 40 years of being her lover. Did you know having your lovers as wife and concubines will still stress you out like you are sneaking around having affairs?

I find it funny that if your concubine is your lover and you get her pregnant you get both the "sweet she's pregnant!" message followed immediately by the "she says she's pregnant but I was away wasn't I?" message

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Thanks for this! I'll have to use that thing more often. I tend to forget about it until I run out of courtiers.

I've always wondered what the cognate would have been to the character finder back then. It makes a little bit of sense that nobles would know other nobles even if they're pretty far-flung, but like for instance how would a Swedish count know that some lowborn courtier in Aquitaine is really good at bookkeeping or spying?
King of France married a Kievan princess in the middle of the 11 th century, because their were no available women who weren't too closely related to him or of acceptable rank within 2000 km of him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charlz Guybon posted:

King of France married a Kievan princess in the middle of the 11 th century, because their were no available women who weren't too closely related to him or of acceptable rank within 2000 km of him.

She owned, too. Pretty sure every later French king is descended from her, as well.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Torrannor posted:

You see the three categories of shields in King Toke's character panel?

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH

Thank you.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

doingitwrong posted:

Yeah, the Welcome Scenario is a bit busted after all this time and hasn't been updated recently. It's good for giving you a decent base to learn from, but even if you don't break the scripting somehow, it doesn't quite cover all the salient points.

In completely unrelated news, I just discovered that r/paradoxpolitics exists, and it is glorious.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: wrong thread

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm trying to pass a law in my council, and one of my council members owes me a favor, but when I click "Call in Council Support" on them, nothing happens. What is going on?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

How does nomad clan break-off work? If I conquer a lot of land at once clan sentiment drops a ton due to land demands, and often one of my clans will completely go independent immediately after the peace deal. I dont even get a day to parcel out chiefdoms.

Do I have to pre-allocate more than enough land to my clans to avoid this?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

cool av posted:

How does nomad clan break-off work? If I conquer a lot of land at once clan sentiment drops a ton due to land demands, and often one of my clans will completely go independent immediately after the peace deal. I dont even get a day to parcel out chiefdoms.

Do I have to pre-allocate more than enough land to my clans to avoid this?
Couldn't you have the game paused on ending the war? But also clan/vassal independence should be on death? Too high khagan land ownership should be firing a "minor clan" revolt (not really minor as they get ~equivalent event troops) to create a new clan.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 9, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah I've never had a clan just go straight independent on me like that.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I did have a character die during the war so I suppose it's possible I only noticed an independence event from that after the peace deal.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
After getting used to the basic sovereignty of EU4, being a CK2 vassal is a hell of a trip. As far as I can tell, there’s no way to get a pop up for if my Liege goes to war? (This is a Merchant Republic) I think I’ve turned on all the pop ups I can for getting this info but so far the best way for me to learn we’re at war is to see all the troops sieging my trade post. Though it also seems like there aren’t serious downsides to just not participating. This is all very strange.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Yeah don't risk your own troops for your liege's wars unless there's something directly in it for you, and even then it's not worth it if your liege has it in the bag already.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah your liege's wars are basically just an annoyance for you. You should only even consider participating if it's your own territory that's being targeted by the CB (a general invasion CB might also be worth at least defending your own lands against, because if they win they will usurp any occupied territory but only vassalize the rest). You might get a little bit of cash by sieging down enemy counties, but as a merchant republic what you'd gain from doing so would be a drop in the bucket compared to your regular income.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

doingitwrong posted:

After getting used to the basic sovereignty of EU4, being a CK2 vassal is a hell of a trip. As far as I can tell, there’s no way to get a pop up for if my Liege goes to war? (This is a Merchant Republic) I think I’ve turned on all the pop ups I can for getting this info but so far the best way for me to learn we’re at war is to see all the troops sieging my trade post. Though it also seems like there aren’t serious downsides to just not participating. This is all very strange.

There can be sieges happening without any war going on at all. Certain religions and cultures allow characters to raid infidel provinces. There's a non-trivial chance that the people sieging your trade posts are in fact vikings on a raiding trip.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
your contribution to your liege's wars is the levy tax he takes from you. you don't see it straight away but he IS getting a portion of your dudes and he WILL raise them when he goes to war.

you don't owe the man poo poo beyond that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That said, if somebody uses a holy war against your liege for your territories, it's obviously in your own self interest to help him out.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I'm playing as the Byzantines. For some reason, only some of my children are showing up on the candidates list for succession. Multiple Born in the Purple kids are straight up not appearing on the list. Nephews/nieces are appearing over my own direct children. Is this a known issue?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm the Fylkir and raided Rome and got the Bones of St. Peter when I sacked the Vatican. Is there anything funny I can do with them or are they just going to languish in my treasury?

Also, unrelated, but I think I found the anarchist tribe:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Goon Danton posted:

I'm the Fylkir and raided Rome and got the Bones of St. Peter when I sacked the Vatican. Is there anything funny I can do with them or are they just going to languish in my treasury?
Nope, unless you ever get into diplo range of China to send them over for chinabucks (I think quality 5 artifacts are worth 2500?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Disillusionist posted:

I'm playing as the Byzantines. For some reason, only some of my children are showing up on the candidates list for succession. Multiple Born in the Purple kids are straight up not appearing on the list. Nephews/nieces are appearing over my own direct children. Is this a known issue?
If you're married to a candidate it will cause that. No idea why it was programmed that way.