Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Did you get a post RDR2 pro? Apparently those are quieter which is good because why the hell is the PS4 so drat loud.

Trapazoids live life large

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Are the Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, and Etrian Odyssey games connected to each other by more than just coming from the same developer? I always thought that the Persona and EO series were spinoffs of SMT but it dawned on me today that I've actually never played any of them so I don't know.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Are the Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, and Etrian Odyssey games connected to each other by more than just coming from the same developer? I always thought that the Persona and EO series were spinoffs of SMT but it dawned on me today that I've actually never played any of them so I don't know.

Persona is a spinoff of SMT that uses SMT's demon collecting/fusing systems but calls them personas instead and adds the high school life sim / VN stuff

EO is completely separate, though the Persona Q games are Persona spinoffs with EO gameplay

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Roth posted:

Not sure. I'm playing RE2 right now and it's not making a whole lot of noise, but maybe if I put KH3 in it'll get insane.

If the model number is CUH-7000 it’s the loud one .

CUH-7100 is slightly quieter

CUH-7200 is more quiet

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think I'm going to have to format my ps4... PT, I'm sorry...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

homeless snail posted:

I think I'm going to have to format my ps4... PT, I'm sorry...

Why

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it consistently crashes whenever I try to close a game or go into rest mode. playing games works just fine but you just can't quit em. system menu is also getting progressively slower as I try to fix stuff so I think its just hosed Up and needs a wipe

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a crafting game where there is no hard rules for what you craft? Like you just get a bunch of random junk, slap it together and every time you just get something new and different even with the exact same materials? Like put a broken toaster with a gold dildo and create a monster truck? How? Who loving knows, I'm just a video game protagonist, not a mechanic/electrical engineer/physicist.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I played two rounds of Apex Legends, died within about a minute of landing each time, and I think I'll not bother with it any further.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

chumbler posted:

I played two rounds of Apex Legends, died within about a minute of landing each time, and I think I'll not bother with it any further.

This has been my experience with every battle royale game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

homeless snail posted:

it consistently crashes whenever I try to close a game or go into rest mode. playing games works just fine but you just can't quit em. system menu is also getting progressively slower as I try to fix stuff so I think its just hosed Up and needs a wipe

See if you can backup PT to an external first

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

this was hurtful

I'm sorry. I was afraid it'd be too harsh sounding and not jokey enough :( I shouldn't have said it, I know I was personally so surprised at there being AI opponents that I ended up playing a bunch of the nightfire multiplayer solely to mess around with the AI, though I never got to play that one map with any other people that you can't play with AIs because I guess the AIs would fall off of the map or whatever.

I'm sorry and I shouldn't have said what I said without making it clearer that I was just trying to do some lighthearted teasing.

You don't have to forgive me, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for hurting your feelings. If it is any consolation in the slightest, the only reason I said that was because I know I'd play a lot of the nightfire multiplayer by myself because I didn't have any friends to play it with so that was my experience growing up.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Strange thing happened. I wanted to check something about final fantasy XII, and started reading some impressively complicated gambit setups. And now I want to play again.

Gambits are such fun! More RPGs should use them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I prefer it when games don't play themselves

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

I like it in games when you can send crew out to passively collect loot for you while you're bored at work, but I don't like it when games play themselves in front of me.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was also thinking of playing XII HD because my 1st/50th/100th platinum trophies happened to be FF games and I'll be at 149 after RE2 so it might be cool to keep that pattern going

I'm trying to decide between VII/IX/XII but I only ever played the original XII without the zodiac job stuff so that could be fun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont mind automation but FF12 never has the depth or complexity to actually make it fun.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The game doesn’t make the gambits though, you get to do it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sakurazuka posted:

But it doesn't really, does it?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't like XCOM cause the computer does the aiming for my soldiers so why am I even here?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

The game doesn’t make the gambits though, you get to do it

Like once I guess

Rarity posted:

But it doesn't really, does it?

I guess you have to use the left stick to move around

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello friends!

I have been moved into my new place for the last twoish weeks, got internet hooked up yesterday and am back and ready to game/chat about games/moderate Games about games. :D

I can now game every day of the week if I wish and I got super nice fibre internet. I am feeling exceptionally powerful right now. :twisted:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So I just spent 45 minutes explaining to MS phone support that my win10 pro did not activate after swapping my mobo even though I had an ms live account and it even recognized my pc.

Turns out if you upgraded to win 10 for free a while ago you may need a completely new key now. My guess is they try trick unsuspecting users into buy a new key. Would explain why it points you towards the store immediately.

What does this have to do with games?
I upgraded from an AMD 4670k 4c4t to a ryzen 2600x 6c12t CPU, still using my rx480 grfx card for 1080p gaming.
My FPS in BFV went from ~70 to 120-150 depending on the map and The Division is buttery smooth at almost all ultra settings, too.

This is bonkers!

Hopper fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 7, 2019

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Too good for 60 FPS, huh?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sakurazuka posted:

Like once I guess

I guess you have to use the left stick to move around

I don't think you get Final Fantasy XII

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Too good for 60 FPS, huh?

Nope, still on a 60hz monitor :negative:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wait, so if you're on a 60hz monitor how is an FPS jump from 70 - 120 even recognizable to you?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rarity posted:

I don't think you get Final Fantasy XII

What did I not get in the 40 hours it took me to beat the game on x4 speed?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Wait, so if you're on a 60hz monitor how is an FPS jump from 70 - 120 even recognizable to you?

BFV is much smoother and snappier because there are now 0 dips under 60 at all and I guess its because the cpu doesn't struggle. As much with calculating object positions etc.
In the division I was able to crank up the details from medium to ultra with a few exceptions on high. It is mostly visual fidelity with that game, but before, turning around was stuttery even though it was at 60 fps. I can't explain why but I assume it was the same bottleneck with non-gpu related proceasing of objects.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are my eyes broken or do cutscenes in 60fps sometimes look kind of cheap or something

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

Are my eyes broken or do cutscenes in 60fps sometimes look kind of cheap or something

your tv or monitor might be using predictive image correction, disable this immediately

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gambits suck because there is almost no depth to the system and barely any encounters that requires more thought than "cast cure when an ally is low on health".

As it is, there is enough meat in gambits for like 30-60 minutes and then it's just autobattling for tens of hours while you read SA or something.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Someday we’ll break free from the tyranny of the standard 24 frames-per-second our movie studio overlords forced upon us

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Andrast posted:

Gambits suck because there is almost no depth to the system and barely any encounters that requires more thought than "cast cure when an ally is low on health".

As it is, there is enough meat in gambits for like 30-60 minutes and then it's just autobattling for tens of hours while you read SA or something.

Gambits rule, you could just consider that it’s the encounters that suck

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Gambits rule, you could just consider that it’s the encounters that suck

The gambit system isn't complex enough for smart encounter design. You are really limited in the commands you can give.

For god's sake, you can program your allies better in Dragon Age origins and that isn't good enough either!

Andrast fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 7, 2019

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dragon Age Origins tactics rule too

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
actually you'll find, that they suck for every class except for sword & board impeding fighters, because the AI is incapable of accounting for AoE, flanking, etc. like there are no "check for splash vs allies" gambits for your mages and archer abilities, they just drop fireball centered on their target even if it's surrounded by your allies. there's no "move to advantageous positioning" gambit for your rogues, they just cast backstab in the enemy's face.

AI-controlled characters flashily simulating engagement while the game crunches basic damage formulas is way better than AIs doing what they're told, except also they're totally incapable of handling any sort of tactical evaluations so the only things you can program are no more complex than if you were mashing confirm on Attack

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The point I’m making isn’t that the individual games in question make fantastic use of their programmable AI system, it’s that, as a concept, programming party members’ AI is very inspiring to me and I want to see it happen in games more often. FFXII and DAO are super loving old at this point, and it isn’t inconceivable that a new game could take the gambit or tactics system and make a great game around it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

The point I’m making isn’t that the individual games in question make fantastic use of their programmable AI system, it’s that, as a concept, programming party members’ AI is very inspiring to me and I want to see it happen in games more often. FFXII and DAO are super loving old at this point, and it isn’t inconceivable that a new game could take the gambit or tactics system and make a great game around it.

I like the idea a lot too! It's a shame that no game has properly realized it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its honestly really a better idea for a puzzle game where each encounter is a puzzle you build gambits to handle and then have no input