Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For dedicated DS2 hexmage builds, miracles are actually amongst your most powerful offensive options. A huge number of enemies are weak to lightning, and you can pick up a lot of lightning spells during your playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I basically just have the last few bosses (beat Friede and Princes) and TRC. To do. Should I respec into Pyro from Dex for fun? I heard that there are a ton of dark and fire resistant enemies in TRC

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

As someone who beat my head against the wall trying pyro for my first run I can confidently state that it is not easy. You basically want to rush all the way past the Old Demon King so you can get Chaos Bed Vestiges, Chaos Fireball, and Rapport which works on a lot more enemies than you'd think.

Black Fire Serpent is also another must have for NPC'S and PVP.

I actually switched to maining Dex because the Raw weapons I was using were way too weak to get me where I needed to go to get Chaos and Dark infusion capabilities because you get those coals very, very late and there are a ton of Fire and Dark resistent enemies on your way there.

Plus you need to free Karla which is a nightmare if you don't have Chaos Fire Orb for all those Prison guards.

Basically it's weak until 3/4 of the way through the game.

I've been playing as a Pyro for my first ever DS3 playthrough...it's...eh. I've been running with the Astoria Straightsword infused raw since it just requires 1 point of dex past baseline to be useable and then mostly pumping int and faith and I haven't really hit any walls or anything yet, but it feels like limited weapon choice and limited upgrades through the first part of the game is a bit same old same old at this point (just started into the catacombs now). Pyromancy is great to have a ranged attack that deals good damage but I'm certainly getting tired of great fire orb or whatever.

I'm not super far in but I could really just go for a big gently caress off sword to smash people with

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just have an overwhelming urge to delete all my saves and start again even though I have like 70 hours on them combined ugh. I worry I'll regret it but I haven't even played em in months.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Why delete all of them? Just delete one whenever you need to make a new one if you're at 10 saves.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Levitate posted:

I've been playing as a Pyro for my first ever DS3 playthrough...it's...eh. I've been running with the Astoria Straightsword infused raw since it just requires 1 point of dex past baseline to be useable and then mostly pumping int and faith and I haven't really hit any walls or anything yet, but it feels like limited weapon choice and limited upgrades through the first part of the game is a bit same old same old at this point (just started into the catacombs now). Pyromancy is great to have a ranged attack that deals good damage but I'm certainly getting tired of great fire orb or whatever.

I'm not super far in but I could really just go for a big gently caress off sword to smash people with

Don’t worry soon you will be able to cast black fire orb, lava fire orb, and fuckoff huge fire orb among others.

The sense of limitation you mention is just kind of how magic works in DS3; it’s not terrible, but it’s not really much better than just beating on poo poo with a sword. There’s an argument to be made that it’s more effective to just play a regular physical character until like, level 80 and then respec into magic once you have enough to max out your damage stats.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

vandalism posted:

I just have an overwhelming urge to delete all my saves and start again even though I have like 70 hours on them combined ugh. I worry I'll regret it but I haven't even played em in months.

There's no reason to do this with any of them unless:

a) You picked a suboptimal class (i.e. not Knight/Pyro/Warrior or maybe Mercenary) and you want to invade or duel at Meta level
b) You want to invade at low level, and you've accidentally levelled or upgraded your weapons past the area you want to invade (even then, you can just use them in a later area)

Any 'mistakes' you've made in your playthrough can be fixed with a respec at Rosaria, having someone drop you items, or by going to NG+ (only necessary for completionism, I think).

kilinrax fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 6, 2019

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

skasion posted:

Don’t worry soon you will be able to cast black fire orb, lava fire orb, and fuckoff huge fire orb among others.

The sense of limitation you mention is just kind of how magic works in DS3; it’s not terrible, but it’s not really much better than just beating on poo poo with a sword. There’s an argument to be made that it’s more effective to just play a regular physical character until like, level 80 and then respec into magic once you have enough to max out your damage stats.

I would agree with that argument. I had so much more fun once I switched to Dex around level 50 and then I unlocked all the good pyromancies later.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean, I see no point in just 100% depending on magic/pyro(as in the actual spells) at any point in the game, whether it's the beginning of a new character or NG++. You're just limiting your toolbox for no reason when there's a bunch of ways to take advantage of the stats you have with infusions and/or buffs. Half of the fun of my pyro playthrough was making a fire katana and using that for the first half of the game to fend of the mobs. Then later on, chaos and dark infusions are even more powerful.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Option C: The scaling infusions are pretty good until at least NG++ (and the non-scaling ones are good until you find them), so play hybrid and use your weapons to smack stuff around and use your FP on flashy impactful spells instead of killing hollows from 20ft away.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Just get Chaos Bed from ODK and fireball all the bosses into paste.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The game is clearly not built for you to play ranged only, and if you try you will have a bad time. I'm pretty sure people doing that is where 90% of the "oh no magic is so bad at the beginning" takes come from. Wield a sword, dummies!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Hitting stuff with a sword is nice, but sometimes cheesing lovely mobs with fireballs is nice too.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
My Pyro run is the only one where I've not only killed Dancer on my first try, but without taking any damage. She could not deal with the Black Fire Orb.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd like to use Black Fire Orb more because I'm sure there are enemies that are very weak to it but I've become addicted to the extra damage and stagger effects that the lava on the Great Chaos Fireballs give you.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Well Pyro is great, there's just a seriously awkward point where Raw Weapons won't carry you through when you don't have good pyromancies and Chaos and Dark infusion ability.

I will recommend that everyone leave the Broadsword behind and make a Lothric Knight Sword Raw in the beginning because the moveset is much, much better.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is the stupid things I think about while I'm doing the mindless work I have to do at my job.

Top 3 Soulsborne Waifus? Maria, Emerald Herald and DS3 Firekeeper.

More seriously, favorite armor sets? Hardmore, no Armor of the Sun, Elite Knight Armor or Orenstein's Armor.
I am a huge fan of the Fallen Knights Armor. Honestly, it also feels the most thematic. It looks like something a warrior would wear after long, dangerous travels. Once fine but now tarnished with the dust of the world and wounds of battle.
Also big fan of the Dancers Armor, loved the Brass Set in DS1 and again here and the just basic Lothric Knight set.
Think my favorite light set is The Painting Guardian one.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like putting on the purple witch dress.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

twistedmentat posted:

I am a huge fan of the Fallen Knights Armor. Honestly, it also feels the most thematic.

if your theme is being a poopypants coward who died running away from crabs, maybe

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if your theme is being a poopypants coward who died running away from crabs, maybe

Have you seen what crabs can do? They can use knives!

BTW, I saw an ending cutscene in a lore vid that showed everyone bowing to your character, and I guess that's only if you refuse to become to the Lord of Cinder? Like in DS1 when the Serpents line up for you when you refuse.

I just sat there by myself like a big nerd. Which may have been appropriate considering I was full Solare Cosplay.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 7, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Have you seen what crabs can do? They can use knives!

BTW, I saw an ending cutscene in a lore vid that showed everyone bowing to your character, and I guess that's only if you refuse to become to the Lord of Cinder? Like in DS1 when the Serpents line up for you when you refuse.

I just sat there by myself like a big nerd. Which may have been appropriate considering I was full Solare Cosplay.

Nope! DS3 has three endings. The first two are basically the same as DS1 but the one you saw involves the character removing the flame from the bonfire and placing it in himself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arrhythmia posted:

Nope! DS3 has three endings. The first two are basically the same as DS1 but the one you saw involves the character removing the flame from the bonfire and placing it in himself.

OOh, kinda like Bloodborne and getting the ending where you turn into a Old One.

How do you get that ending?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
You have to get the fire keeper's eyes from the untended graves, then give them to her and do what she tells you.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
You need to complete the questlines for Yuria and Anri. If you didn't find Yuria, talk to Yoel and use his services until he stops offering, before doing Abyss Watchers.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Ok, no. You don't need the eyes.

First, find the pilgrim on the bridge to the undead settlement. Talk to him. He will go to the shrine. Every few deaths, he will give you a free level, at the cost of giving you a dark sigil. Do not remove them. After five, he dies and is replaced by another NPC. Go along with whatever she wants, don't kill Obreck though. Ok, so talk to Anri and friend whenever you see her. Kill Horace before you tell her his whereabouts. Next, you do nothing. You'll meet again in Irithyl. Don't interfere. From here you just have to do a cut scene in a secret room in Anor L ondo. The eyes are for a different ending.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

I have no idea what you could be talking about here since, for one, ds3 has four endings. For two, only one of them is "basically the same as DS1".

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Amppelix posted:

I have no idea what you could be talking about here since, for one, ds3 has four endings. For two, only one of them is "basically the same as DS1".

Yes I know ds3 has four endings but two of them are so similar that I consider them the same. To Link the First Flame ending involves you burning yourself in the first flame to keep the world going, and The End of Fire is you extinguishing the first flame, both of which are the two outcomes of DS1.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

In case anyone didn't know this, Rapport (Charm) works on the fat angels in the Grand Archives roof.

Pretty easy farming.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I just finished my first playthrough ever and I killed Yoel on accident because he startled me when he started speaking so I thought all of those turtle boys were about to come alive and eat me.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Pussy Quipped posted:

I just finished my first playthrough ever and I killed Yoel on accident because he startled me when he started speaking so I thought all of those turtle boys were about to come alive and eat me.

Since it was your first playthrough it's an easy mistake, but the rule of thumb is: If you can't lock-on to it, it's not an enemy.

In before: "you can LOCK-ON?!??!?!"

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Pussy Quipped posted:

Lol, that owns.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Pussy Quipped posted:

In my first playthrough I accidentally went into The Ringed City instead of fighting Soul of Cinder. I got all the way to being murdered by archers before I rage quit and checked a guide.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Ok, no. You don't need the eyes.

First, find the pilgrim on the bridge to the undead settlement. Talk to him. He will go to the shrine. Every few deaths, he will give you a free level, at the cost of giving you a dark sigil. Do not remove them. After five, he dies and is replaced by another NPC. Go along with whatever she wants, don't kill Obreck though. Ok, so talk to Anri and friend whenever you see her. Kill Horace before you tell her his whereabouts. Next, you do nothing. You'll meet again in Irithyl. Don't interfere. From here you just have to do a cut scene in a secret room in Anor L ondo. The eyes are for a different ending.

Yea I was pretty sure the eyes were just for the "Naw man, its all bullshit! Burn it all down!" ending. And okay, I was going to do a new game + purely to do the Anri and Yoel related quests, and not let Seigward die while fighting Yhorm.

So once you find Anri in the Catacombs, you go down to the smouldering lake and do all that, find Horace and kill them, then go back and tell her before finishing Carthas?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

So once you find Anri in the Catacombs, you go down to the smouldering lake and do all that, find Horace and kill them, then go back and tell her before finishing Carthas?

Aye, but you can just dip into smouldering lake and go right into Horaces cave, kill him, and stone back out. No need to finish anything else there yet if you dont want to.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
gently caress Champion's Gravetender. Doesn't help that i'm a pure sorcerer and have 35 vitality. I decided not to delete but to respec and finish the dlcs and the game instead. Should I stop at sl 100 or go higher on my pyro based guy? I use spells on him and want to be able to respec between pure int, int/faith, and pure faith.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 7, 2019

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

twistedmentat posted:

and not let Seigward die while fighting Yhorm.

I've had Siegward die before I was done grabbing the storm ruler, equipping it, and charging up the first weapon art. Sometimes the game will just screw you on this (and then you have to fight Yhorm at permanently increased health with no help, which isn't hard but is annoying).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Firekeeper ending is the only good ending anyway.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

Firekeeper ending is the only good ending anyway.

Usurper owns.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

vandalism posted:

Usurper owns.

Yeah, the ending where I get to rule a post-post-post-apocalyptic ghost world is the only good ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
No... that's evil!