Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

verbal enema posted:

What in the heck do i do about goblets like how do i keep them where people drink and eat

You make a 1-tile storage in your tavern and restrict it to goblets only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

How Disgusting posted:

You make a 1-tile storage in your tavern and restrict it to goblets only.

Now i do that before making goblets or after because i tried to make a little storage yard for just goblets in my dining hall. I did also try and transfer my previously made cups to the new spot but couldnt figure that bit out

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Taverns, like other "locations" can have storage containers which hold items like that. It's similar to the hospital interface.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I am confused to i make my fortress dwarfs dining hall a tavern

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

verbal enema posted:

I am confused to i make my fortress dwarfs dining hall a tavern

Yeah, you can. It's the simplest solution; you should be able to just (l)ocation a dining room into a tavern, and you're good to go. Pretty sure you can restrict the tavern to dwarves only if you don't want visitors clogging up the room and drinking all your booze, too. Then any chests or boxes or bags built in the tavern area should count as storage and should begin to accrue goblets and mugs if your fortress has them.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Dwarves seem pretty happy to just leave goblets above the barrel they drank from for the next dwarf down the line to use.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Truly a more enlightened culture.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

:frogc00l: Various consolidation and small moves to start the month. I traced accounts for embezzlement networks and smoothed out some rough edges there, and made sure the mercenary groups based on organized religions (as opposed to generic worship) functioned correctly. I also fixed some frequency issues with religions and updated the November update to temple profaning to make it compatible with upcoming religious strife. Ruining random temples no longer matters to the deity. In order to be cursed, the act must be against a god the offender worships, for some specific reason (how this manifests in post-worldgen is TBD, but at a minimum it can just check the worship of, say, a tantrumer -- curse one way, religious tension the other.) In order to avoid werebeasts and vampire curses exploding like popcorn during religious riots, something had to give, and in general, making the curse stories a little more personal seemed appropriate now. I still have to do religious tension etc. of course; something will be added for this time, even if it ends up kinda basic.

I now have punishment in terms of sentences of a number of years understood by worldgen, vaguely aligned to dwarf mode and the (wholly-inadequate-but-good-enough-for-now) ethics definitions. Before, prisoners were just prisoners, for as long as it lasted (escape/conquest/etc.) Now an embezzler might spend five years in the dungeon, not try to escape, and then go on to do something else, which is important as we move toward non-assassination problem-solving by villains. They should have the option soon to engineer false charges or otherwise corrupt imprisonment.

quote:

the (wholly-inadequate-but-good-enough-for-now) ethics definitions

:911::hf::frogc00l:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
it truly is about ethics in video games now

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Is it unethical to let visiting nobles from other civilizations live?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Captain Cappy posted:

Is it unethical to let visiting nobles from other civilizations live?

What do your heart and his list of demands tell you?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

What do your heart and his list of demands tell you?

They need some levers. Some mastercraft, lovely levers that are in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY AT ALL attached to the best serrated discs we can afford.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

One of my military dwarves started killing everyone in sight for some reason (he wasn't berserking). I assume it was one of those civil war things that happen when a dwarf kills another dwarf for no reason but man is it annoying losing a dozen good dwarves and not even being able to select him to be killed by the rest of the military.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Question for a complete idiot at dorfs.

I want to make a little stank stack to come out of my fort, so that the bad smells go away and up out of the top of my fort like a chimney or flue. How would I accomplish this - please explain in the simplest method because I can barely create workshops let alone projects.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Carve a series of up/down stairs above your refuse stockpile until you hit the surface.

There no need to do this, though, just put your refuse stockpile behind double doors (and make sure there's enough room in it to accommodate your butchery needs) and little if any miasma should escape.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just leave my refuse pile outside, nothing bad has happened as a result, somehow.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Also note that a diagonal opening will block miasma and not let any out like a door would.
███░
░░█░
░░█░
██░░
░░░░

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

I just leave my refuse pile outside, nothing bad has happened as a result, somehow.

Narrator: And then the necromancers came.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Idk how many care about the arena but the final Arena semifinal match is today so hey pop into the DF Arena Challenge lp thread! Register a fighter! We'll be starting a new tourney soon!

prepare to get annihilated none of my fighters do well :smith:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Iymarra posted:

Question for a complete idiot at dorfs.

I want to make a little stank stack to come out of my fort, so that the bad smells go away and up out of the top of my fort like a chimney or flue. How would I accomplish this - please explain in the simplest method because I can barely create workshops let alone projects.

Note that if you do this flying creatures can and will use your chimney to access your fortress. Prepare accordingly!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Eric the Mauve posted:

Note that if you do this flying creatures can and will use your chimney to access your fortress. Prepare accordingly!

Santa Claus!!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Fun.

I was meaning more like a little flume at the top of my fort and then putting a grate or fortification over it so in theory the stink would escape?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
One option is to start at the surface and direct your dwarf to channel down one tile at a time but this can be quite dangerous to the dwarf especially if you forget and he starves in the shaft.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

reignofevil posted:

One option is to start at the surface and direct your dwarf to channel down one tile at a time but this can be quite dangerous to the dwarf especially if you forget and he starves in the shaft.

Your dwarf will probably climb out after a while.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When will toady implement compost heaps and creating fertilizer out of dead goblins

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

ninjewtsu posted:

When will toady implement compost heaps and creating fertilizer out of dead goblins

When in haunted biomes the compost comes to life and tries to kill everyone, from the inside as people will inhale the dirt

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Iymarra posted:

Sounds like Fun.

I was meaning more like a little flume at the top of my fort and then putting a grate or fortification over it so in theory the stink would escape?

unfortunately, gases and stuff aren't detailed enough to do that

miasma is to a rotting meat what heat is to a split atom, it's emitted once and then dissipates

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

scamtank posted:

unfortunately, gases and stuff aren't detailed enough to do that

miasma is to a rotting meat what heat is to a split atom, it's emitted once and then dissipates
I think making a chimney like that CAN prevent miasma, though, if you put the garbage dump directly under the chimney, since then it'll be considered "outside" and rot using outside conditions, thus not generating miasma. I forget if there's a way to make people autodump garbage so you only need one square exposed.

EDIT: Actually does miasma go up Z-levels? I vaguely remember it not doing that, so if it doesn't just "drop it down a hole one z-level to a place with a locked door" would be good enough.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 13, 2019

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yes, it definitely does

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Zereth posted:

I think making a chimney like that CAN prevent miasma, though, if you put the garbage dump directly under the chimney, since then it'll be considered "outside" and rot using outside conditions, thus not generating miasma. I forget if there's a way to make people autodump garbage so you only need one square exposed.

EDIT: Actually does miasma go up Z-levels? I vaguely remember it not doing that, so if it doesn't just "drop it down a hole one z-level to a place with a locked door" would be good enough.

You can create a quantum stock pile garbage dump. Just remember that if the stockpile is on "outdoor" tiles, you'll need to enable outdoor refuse handling in the standing orders menu (o). Otherwise they will take stuff to the stockpile but won't put stuff in the QSP minecart. And your chimney will need to be larger than 1x1 (idk 1x3 is probably the minimum).

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Domed ceiling is necessary, of course.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

finally, a video game with ethics

alert the media

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pryor on Fire posted:

finally, a video game with ethics

alert the media

I love that toady one nerfed the value of mermaid bones and materials after someone made a big forum post about their mermaid forced-breeding and genocide fort.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

What's the best way to create a world for adventure mode? I started an adventure in one I was using for Fortress mode but everything seems dead.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Captain Cappy posted:

What's the best way to create a world for adventure mode? I started an adventure in one I was using for Fortress mode but everything seems dead.

Others might have more detailed advice, but shorter histories mean there's still some conflict left in the world.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ILL Machina posted:

Others might have more detailed advice, but shorter histories mean there's still some conflict left in the world.

also more dragons

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Go for a single land mass or make sure everything is connected so you don't have to swim across an ocean.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Do up/down staircases no longer let liquid pass through? I just made a reservoir in which the water falls through U/D staircases, something I've done many times before, but the water doesn't pass through no matter how long I wait (and I've done this a lot of times before, admittedly in earlier editions of the game)

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They should. Maybe a dumb question but the water isn't frozen right?

Captain Cappy posted:

Shorter histories. Smaller worlds. You really don't want to traverse the larger maps. Unless you really just have all the time to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hey folks, I haven't played since around the time taverns were announced to be coming to the game. Anything of note I should know about before going back in?