Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My theory is that Abbott is a loving dickhead and Astro Labe did no wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

bell jar posted:

The thing you have to understand about biting into an onion like it's an apple is....it's actually really loving tasty.

I tried doing it once when it first happened to own the libs, and found my secret shame

Skin on or off?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

quote:

The under-fire Liberal minister Scott Buchholz gave a female air force officer what he described to colleagues as “a hug” – a move which led to an official complaint against him.

Buchholz has issued an apology to the officer following the incident in Darwin last August during a taxpayer-funded exchange with the Australian defence force to observe the military exercise Pitch Black in 2018.

The Defence department has declined to reveal details of the complaint, which was first reported by the ABC. But the Guardian understands Buchholz has told colleagues the nature of the incident was a “hug”.

“He may have misread the situation and the friendly nature of the group,” a defence source said. “If you’re a smaller woman and a big burly bloke throws his arms around you that can be confronting.”

This is such a bullshit excuse. Being a “hugger” is no excuse for touching women you don’t know and who haven’t asked to be physically touched.

So fed up of the “he was just being friendly” excuse for men who think their desire to touch women matters more than what women want. Learn to respect some boundaries idiot.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
One might be forgiven for assuming that women in the ADF on average would have relatively thick skin in order to survive in such an incredibly hostile and testosterone filled environment and as such there is no way that was just a misunderstood hug.

He either singled her out and made her feel incredibly uncomfortable by mashing his chest into hers, while shaking hands with her male counterparts, or he got handsy. Either way the punishment should be drowning at sea.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.smh.com.au/business/small-business/who-s-really-to-blame-for-too-many-unwanted-graduates-20190205-p50vto.html

A bloo.bloo bloo

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

get a STEM degree
*gets a science degree*
not that one

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

"We need to run universities as businesses!"
"Why are universities acting only on a profit motive?!"

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

It is hard work getting workers and managers alike to support training up students from my experience in the workplace. Funding from the managers and FYGM from workers.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It came from Domain.

https://www.domain.com.au/living/the-business-helping-single-parents-overcome-rental-challenges/

No, don't deal with housing affordability for single parents, just all live together in a pile to keep servicing your impossible rents and mortgages! Agile economy!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Don Dongington posted:

My theory on that is that his mind was being rent apart by the cognitive dissonance between the part of his brain that had been telling him for 20+ years that he was born to rule, and the part that had begun to realise that he lacked some of the critical skills required to actually do it.

As soon as he recovered from being knifed, the former part took over again, and he alone in his party has forgotten how poo poo he was at the job.

Please explain Peta Credlin

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Turns out being able to tell your local liberal candidate to gently caress off in person is a nice way to start a Friday.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The replies to that are absolutely schadenfreude gold.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

fiery_valkyrie posted:

This is such a bullshit excuse. Being a “hugger” is no excuse for touching women you don’t know and who haven’t asked to be physically touched.

So fed up of the “he was just being friendly” excuse for men who think their desire to touch women matters more than what women want. Learn to respect some boundaries idiot.

I'm picturing someone fired a gun and this big manly man jumped into her arms like a giant coward

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

hooman posted:

"We need to run universities as businesses!"
"Why are universities acting only on a profit motive?!"

Part of the problem is credential creep- so many jobs have the requirement of a university degree where they don’t really need one

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Seeing these bank execs resign and act like it's the most brutal punishment imaginable pisses me off. I wish I could literally steal billions of dollars for years, and have my punishment be "nah it's cool keep all of it, just don't bother coming in to work on Monday. Take a couple of months off, go sailing or gently caress a pig or whatever it is you do"

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

aejix posted:

Seeing these bank execs resign and act like it's the most brutal punishment imaginable pisses me off. I wish I could literally steal billions of dollars for years, and have my punishment be "nah it's cool keep all of it, just don't bother coming in to work on Monday. Take a couple of months off, go sailing or gently caress a pig, stand for liberal party preselection or whatever it is you do"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Les Affaires posted:

- we have a habit of deregulating and streamlining business conditions, privatising government services where we can and regulating the labor market. if we hadn’t regulated labor in the seventies (cartoon???) then we would be in a similar position to a lot of american right to work states that have no conditions and slave wages
Hmm?

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/legislation/the-fair-work-system/australias-industrial-relations-timeline

The system as it existed in the seventies almost certainly would NOT have resulted in a US style IR hellscape. Almost every single step of the IR regulation route since 1973 has lead to the situation now where it is functionally illegal to strike. Perhaps you were thinking of the second tier agreement in the 1990's that led to the modernisation of work practices? Even then the final result was workers getting fundamentally screwed over by the built in features of the new system.

Australia has a radical capitalist libertarian view where everything has to be completely deregulated except the labour market because "Hey slaves! Am I right?".

tl;dr gently caress Australia.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There was an article yeasterday blaming high power bills on disrepectful kids leaving lights on and charging their wacky electric gizmos all the time.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is there literally anything you can do to complain about a courier company (I.E. not Covered by the postal ombudsman) that isn't a waste of time?
Go to what ever consumer advocate you have in your state. If you consigned the goods as a business you are so sod out of luck it is astonishing. A courier company who specifies that "they are not a common carrier" on the consignment note you signed when you gave them custody of the goods/documents can literally steal what ever it is and just laugh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cartoon posted:

Hmm?

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/legislation/the-fair-work-system/australias-industrial-relations-timeline

The system as it existed in the seventies almost certainly would NOT have resulted in a US style IR hellscape. Almost every single step of the IR regulation route since 1973 has lead to the situation now where it is functionally illegal to strike. Perhaps you were thinking of the second tier agreement in the 1990's that led to the modernisation of work practices? Even then the final result was workers getting fundamentally screwed over by the built in features of the new system.

Australia has a radical capitalist libertarian view where everything has to be completely deregulated except the labour market because "Hey slaves! Am I right?".

tl;dr gently caress Australia.

You are correct, we used to have strikes over entire industries. The change in rules made striking enterprise based and essentially ruined any real power a union across an industry could wield.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 8, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/GuardianAus/status/1093653784679645184

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

This is actually a really major decision

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

This is actually a really major decision

This is great and it's also going to set off boomers so hard

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The pendulum to our minds isn't going to swing all that much, but this year's outcomes are going to be perceived as apocalyptic by society's dickheads and it's going to own

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

How long before it gets overturned on appeal?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

How long before it gets overturned on appeal? ignored by our criminal government?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Turns out being able to tell your local liberal candidate to gently caress off in person is a nice way to start a Friday.

Pretty cool, what were the circumstances?

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

You Am I posted:

My theory is that Abbott is a loving dickhead and Astro Labe did no wrong

please, dj astro labe

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Land and Environment court is NSWs appeal body afaik, and appeals against a judicial decision are only on a question of law. Given the judge in this case was the Chief Judge of the L&E court, you’d generally expect his legal reasoning in being able to make such a decision is pretty sound.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snoremac posted:

Pretty cool, what were the circumstances?

They were at the train station attempting to hand me their flyer and I told them to gently caress off.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Weirdly the nsw government already said no and the Gloucester resource fucks were trying to get it overturned.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Laserface posted:

Weirdly the nsw government already said no and the Gloucester resource fucks were trying to get it overturned.

Interestingly enough the NSW government refused it on the grounds of local impact, where as the judge hearing the appeal is effectively setting a precedent of no more coal mines to be approved through the NSW planning system

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/michaelkoziol/status/1093655598346907648?s=19

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

China haxxored our Gibson.

Cyber security breach on Parliament likely a foreign government attack
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-08/china-government-cyber-security-breach-parliament-hackers/10792938

Anidav they're challenging you to drinking contests to steal state secrets

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

User: scomo
Pass: i1269rupes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Watching these tools get owned is my heroin.

Like it isn't even a big own, they will just have to *gasp* spend some of their gold hoard

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hidys posted:

Skin on or off?

on, of course, its where all the nutrients are!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/michaelkoziol/status/1093647047310290944?s=21

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I prefer my onions uncircumcised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ahahaha loving boomers god drat.