Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Locator posted:

Fairly annoying, and I don't see any mods when searching that can increase the limit, so I apparently can't really make this city any bigger since I'm so close to that number that seems to break everything.

Yeah, the vehicle cap is a limitation of the game/engine. There's no way around it besides minimizing the amount of cars on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, the vehicle cap is a limitation of the game/engine. There's no way around it besides minimizing the amount of cars on the road.

Yeah, in further reading it looks like the primary problem is also why my oil field is making so much money - it's a massive export machine, which eats up the vehicle limit. So if I want to grow bigger I need to scale back the production to where it can all be consumed locally (and isolate the rail lines).

I'll probably just start a new city with this lesson in mind and try to design around the limitation.

The one thing I really don't understand is why I was hitting the cap at just over 10k, when everything I've read says the cap is just north of 16k.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

The Locator posted:

Fairly annoying, and I don't see any mods when searching that can increase the limit, so I apparently can't really make this city any bigger since I'm so close to that number that seems to break everything.

I'm not sure if it will help, but it might be worth trying Configure Outside Connections' Limits. I generally start a map by making an oil industry that is purely for exporting. There are no incoming roads to the industry and the only exit is to a highway that leaves the map. It will get to a point where the factories start giving me the "no buyer for product" icon and I found out it was because I was hitting the limit for cargo exports. With this mod, I set all the cargo limits to 10,000 and all dummy traffic to zero.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Did a bit more over the weekend. Filling in some gaps and starting on the power station and outlying fields and small farming villages.

I'm probably going to rejig the fields already as they don't look quite right. I'll have a look for some different assets so I can do it properly.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

The Locator posted:

Yeah those agent and vehicle limits cripple the game at large numbers, but sadly it's hard coded so it can't be modded. Not too long ago one of the devs said on Reddit that it's unlikely those limits will ever be lifted or raised :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There are some mods that help a bit. Mods that remove seagulls and animals which for some reason take up a slot that could be used for a car if I remember correctly.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Poil posted:

There are some mods that help a bit. Mods that remove seagulls and animals which for some reason take up a slot that could be used for a car if I remember correctly.

Found the no seagulls mod, and apparently they count as citizens, not vehicles, so that mod helps increase the number of active cims running around if you are at that cap.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

serious gaylord posted:

Did a bit more over the weekend. Filling in some gaps and starting on the power station and outlying fields and small farming villages.

Really loving the rural details here. Feels like a bird's eye view of Eurotruck Simulator.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AFAIK active vehicles use a dedicated array that isn't shared with any other part of the simulation. The cap exists because that array runs out of integers, so there's no way around it besides having fewer vehicles on the road.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

turn off the TV posted:

AFAIK active vehicles use a dedicated array that isn't shared with any other part of the simulation. The cap exists because that array runs out of integers, so there's no way around it besides having fewer vehicles on the road.

I'm no expert on programming and coding and such, but doesn't a 64 bit system support a poo poo ton of integers? I'm curious to know how this limit works and if it's a computing limit or an engine limit.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TigerXtrm posted:

I'm no expert on programming and coding and such, but doesn't a 64 bit system support a poo poo ton of integers? I'm curious to know how this limit works and if it's a computing limit or an engine limit.

I read somewhere that the engine they are using falls apart completely after certain limits are passed, so this might be an engine limitation where they coded to prevent the game from hitting numbers that would crash the engine.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Wasn't Skylines designed to run on 32 bit systems and was never natively 64 bit?

Its really really old and I wouldn't be surprised if it had some bonkers engine limitations. Frankly the amount of stuff modders can put in the game should have broken it years ago and the fact the game essentially crashes like 19 times when I load it because its struggling under the number of assets is not a surprise.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TigerXtrm posted:

It's a limitation of the array, not the engine.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Since we're talking about code and algorithms, does anyone know what processes Skylines uses to decide which cars come from which starting points to which destinations? From a naive perspective, it seems like a bit of a challenge for, say, the inhabitants of a newly plopped and populated residential building to find the best industry or commercial location to go to, especially when they're doing that alongside a bunch of other units.

I'm studying Flight Scheduling for a class right now and while I'm sure there's very limited generalizability from a city management game to that, I am interested in the processes involved.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Also, on a related note, does anybody else feel like they're more interested in reading about Cities Skylines and how people make optimal/beautiful/disastrous cities, as well as how mods and stuff work, than they do with actually playing the game? I tried starting up Skylines today but couldn't last two minutes before getting bored, but I love devouring info about how other people play the game.

I'm starting to get the sense that I should just stop looking for city management games to scratch my itch and just get some books on economics and urban planning.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Xanderkish posted:

Also, on a related note, does anybody else feel like they're more interested in reading about Cities Skylines and how people make optimal/beautiful/disastrous cities, as well as how mods and stuff work, than they do with actually playing the game? I tried starting up Skylines today but couldn't last two minutes before getting bored, but I love devouring info about how other people play the game.

I'm starting to get the sense that I should just stop looking for city management games to scratch my itch and just get some books on economics and urban planning.

Me me me! I watch Biffa and he plays just like I want to play but I’m not good enough :(

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

serious gaylord posted:

I'm probably going to rejig the fields already as they don't look quite right. I'll have a look for some different assets so I can do it properly.

This looks real good, please keep posting. Would be cool to see a more zoomed-out view as well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How is this game from a casual perspective? I was never terribly great at sim city as a kid, and the screenshots of the crazy traffic exchanges I see from this game boggle my brain.

I've had a bit of an itch for a city builder for some time, and I've always heard good things about this one, and the base game is only 8$ on Steam - is there expansions I'm going to really want, or am I better off playing with the base game for awhile first?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Oxyclean posted:

How is this game from a casual perspective? I was never terribly great at sim city as a kid, and the screenshots of the crazy traffic exchanges I see from this game boggle my brain.

I've had a bit of an itch for a city builder for some time, and I've always heard good things about this one, and the base game is only 8$ on Steam - is there expansions I'm going to really want, or am I better off playing with the base game for awhile first?

You'll be perfectly fine just playing the base game for a while. There are a lot of great mods that add a lot of functionality for free once you decide you want to add more poo poo to the game as well.
The game is perfectly fine for a casual player. Traffic management is the only component that gives a challenge and requires some thought, but you're not really going to need any of those crazy interchanges until you've got a good sized city and you'll have a good grasp of the traffic mechanics by that point. The most important thing when laying out your roads is just understanding the road hierarchy rule of thumb that 2 lane roads (which should form the bulk of your network) feed into 4 lane roads, which in turn feed into 6 lane roads, which feed into highways. Each 'tier' ideally has fewer and further apart intersections than the one under it to keep traffic moving smoothly.
Oh and make sure your industrial area has easy highway access, lest you want a parade of trucks driving across your whole city to get to an on-ramp. You'll learn the rest just by playing.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Are trains still broken? Last I played, having multiple stations connected to the outside made traffic grow exponentially.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Skylines is pretty much only as complicated as you make it, but has a ton of potential. Give it a shot, you'll probably enjoy it. As for expansions, Mass Transit and After Dark are probably the most useful, but I'd give the base game a shot first.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Luneshot posted:

Skylines is pretty much only as complicated as you make it, but has a ton of potential. Give it a shot, you'll probably enjoy it. As for expansions, Mass Transit and After Dark are probably the most useful, but I'd give the base game a shot first.

Industries and Park Life are both very good if you like making a ton of money. My ore pit and oil field are both sitting at $35k~45k profit per week, and my parks pay for themselves, all my normal parks, and clear $10k profit as well, and that's in a city that just barely hit 70k population.

Having said that, I played for a good amount of time without any DLC, and probably would still be playing without DLC except that my brother got into the game and got everything, so I ended up getting the DLC so we could swap cities. Don't regret the DLC now that I have it, although I got it all on sale on Green Man Gaming, so paid less than half the normal price for everything.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

If you want to go full casual I'd enable infinite cash and resources, but not everything unlocked (all of those are pre-installed mods). Having to unlock stuff makes the first few cities less overwhelming.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yeah, play with stuff locked for your first handful of cities. Then when you're sick of not being able to start a city with a decent highway exit, unlock everything.

Dont be afraid to gently caress up, that's actually how you unlock a bunch of special buildings.

thehoax
Feb 23, 2011

Well, then.
Inspired by donoteat's series, I've also tried building a city somewhat realistically over time - roughly based on the history of areas where I grew up and live. I've been working on this on and off for some time now and thought about sharing the results.

So welcome to Brücken, a fictional city somewhere in Central Europe. We are starting in early 20th century. Here's an aerial view. The city is pretty small and insignificant, yet its street layout shows that its roots can be traced to medieval times. It is surrounded by crop fields and pastures. In the center there is a small industrial zone. At the bottom, you can see the mansion and garden of the local wealthy nobles - the Zillmanns.

The surrounding villages - a kind of typical linear settlements.

The layout of the old town is also quite typical — market square in the middle, with a town hall and church. At some point it was converted into a public park. Next to the main square is a smaller one, which is still used for buying and selling produce.

The highest building in the old town is the Catholic church, which towers over the small houses.

A recent major development for the city was the creation of the industrial zone on the outskirts of the city. It consists of a coal mine, a power plant and a cargo train station.

Next to the industrial area there is a settlement which houses the workers and their families, built to a high living standard to bring the workers in. The houses contain such luxuries as indoor toilets (one per building).

So that is the starting point from which the city is going to grow. Do you want to see more?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yes! That looks really cool.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I used to play this game to try and build huge cities which was fun for a while, but I was able to build them procedurally without much effort which got boring. So I decided to start making cities based on how they organically grow. They had lots of growing pains with traffic bottlenecks but solving them made a pretty looking city. I guess it helps that it's a gorgeous game.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

thehoax posted:

So that is the starting point from which the city is going to grow. Do you want to see more?

Did you expect any answer other than yes??

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

thehoax posted:

oh my god I love it

edit: I'm definitely checking out old maps of Bergen now

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 7, 2019

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
I had an incredibly vivid dream and just had to recreate it in Cities Skylines.

The Valley map

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Wow, you've made me want to make a winter city for the first time ever.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So my brother and I have been sending our cities back and forth so we can see how differently we do things, and every city I get from him is completely broken, whereas he can open all my cities fine. He has 100% of the DLC, I have all the DLC except for the radio stations (I don't listen to them so I'm not paying for them).

We finally figured out that his cities are broken for me because he is using the European themed service buildings, like the European Fire Station/House, but those buildings do not show up at all in my game. I have googled and I can't seem to find anything saying what DLC (or the base game) those Euro buildings are in.

They are the regular service buildings listed in this Wiki under Fire, Police, and Medical - basically straight swaps for the 'normal' or US buildings. https://skylines.paradoxwikis.com/Service_buildings

When I get his maps I've tried to use the buttons in the content manager to subscribe all and enable all, but I get the same result. I've checked in Steam Library and all of the DLC shows installed, it all shows installed in-game, and I have things from all the DLC like trams, industries, parks, etc.

Any idea at all how I can get these European service buildings to show up in my game so that I can mess around with his cities without first replacing a bajillion service buildings?

Thanks.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is he running a mod to activate them for non-european maps?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does anyone actually not use the built-in infinite money mod and play in non-sandbox mode where you have to actually budget?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Entropic posted:

Does anyone actually not use the built-in infinite money mod and play in non-sandbox mode where you have to actually budget?

Yes. Even though it's broken, I like when numbers go up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yes. Even though it's broken, I like when numbers go up.

Same! Also the game is still new to me so I actually play it like a game, not just as a city building simulator.

Poil posted:

Is he running a mod to activate them for non-european maps?

If he was, wouldn't I get it when I load the map from the workshop and in my content manager do the subscribe all for his map before loading it? I've tried this multiple times and still don't get those buildings.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I get super bored if I don't have to also manage money, even if its trivial.

I'm not sure why.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

dogstile posted:

I get super bored if I don't have to also manage money, even if its trivial.

I'm not sure why.

Constraints inspire innovation.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I got bored of the other way around. Making your city profitable was a pretty easy thing to do. I now build without a budget and just try and keep traffic flow above 86%. That's way harder to do as cities get staggeringly large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

um excuse me posted:

I got bored of the other way around. Making your city profitable was a pretty easy thing to do. I now build without a budget and just try and keep traffic flow above 86%. That's way harder to do as cities get staggeringly large.

I guess that depends on how many metro lines you use.

Metro's are ridiculously good