Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh no, Clive Swift has died. :geno:

https://twitter.com/madeupwho/status/924930939565826048?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This and that one Jerry Lewis interview are always going to be the top two candidates for "needlessly confrontational" of all time. Hopefully the person guarding the pearly gates doesn't use a tape recorder.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

It's even sadder when you read the article on VotD in that particular magazine; IIRC, in one segment, after doing a take, he was all but begging the director for praise. So on the one hand he's very dismissive towards the opportunity the show presented to him, but on the other he's so insecure that he has to pester someone for reassurance.

Sad that he died and all, but after reading that interview, I never could summon up any sympathy for Richard on KUA whenever I'd see an episode (I always thought Onslow was the best character on that show, anyways).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/oeufelia/status/1091317901565591553

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"E-JAC-U-LATE! E-JAC-U-LATE!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Glad that Calvin finally got to make the snowman he wanted to after all these years.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Burkion posted:

Not in broad daylight in the middle of town

I'm not talking about what nasty bullshit was going on in general, I'm talking about what we specifically see in the episode.

I grew up in Alabama and you dont know what the gently caress you're talking about.

I had a lot more typed, but you're not worth it. I just hope you ever read a book and get a clue about the Jim Crow South.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Narsham posted:

Rani from the Sarah Jane adventures puts in an appearance... and finds a pocketwatch.

Honestly, they are overdue to bring Omega back and he'd be a really interesting figure to bounce off of Thirteen. The only other shock reveal I could imagine working would be to recast the Black Guardian.

Far better to bring back a past companion. Leela or Ace or Romana seem like the obvious choices. Or a surprise multidoctor episode. The show has yet to dare casting the next Doctor secretly and having her meet the current one.
I think what would be cool would be to cast a companion for a series, than have the Doctor regenerate mid-story at the end of the series (think like in The Stolen Earth if it hadn't been a fakeout), the companion finds a pocketwatch. The new doctor chameloen-arched themeselves to travel around with their past self to make sure that when the moment came, they'd be able to be in the situation and resolve it immediately. Then they drop off their newly-regenerated and chameleon arched past self to complete the loop.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Watched up through Kerblam! and The Witchfinders. Thoughts:

The Witchfinders is a silly story with a forgettable villain and a forgettable plot, redeemed by the companions being loveable, King James hamming it up, and the Doctor getting some classic gurning "I am the oncoming storm!!" moments. Entirely disposable, but decent. Also fun to see the Doctor confronting sexism with this sort of befuddled exasperation.

Kerblam! is brilliant up until the nonsensical twist. The system has a conscience and was being tampered with by a person...so it murdered another innocent person to express that conscience...and since the villain thought automation was bad and it needed to be sabotaged and destroyed, and the automatic system actually was what helped to save the day...through murder...the correct answer is to dismantle the automatic system and introduce more people power! Hooray! Just a completely muddled moral that doesn't even know what it's saying, which is disappointing in an episode that has such good social satire bones up to that point. Gorgeous set and costume design though, and Graham really gets to shine here.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

(also Thirteen getting a fez delivered late by space Amazon is a hilarious moment, well worth the price of admission)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Watch these:

https://twitter.com/MaddoxProTweets/status/1093156236055535617

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Android Blues posted:

(also Thirteen getting a fez delivered late by space Amazon is a hilarious moment, well worth the price of admission)

The sheer joy on her face when she realizes the Kerblam Man has arrived with a package for her is absolutely delightful :)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why does Series 11 have a 21% audience review on Rotten Tomatoes?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Grouchio posted:

Same reason why The Last Jedi and Ghostbusters 2016 have audience scores in the 40s.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You just can't trust Rotten Tomatoes anymore.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Grouchio posted:

Internet chuds are incredibly threatened by women and POCs having lead roles.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TinTower posted:

Same reason why The Last Jedi and Ghostbusters 2016 have audience scores in the 40s.

Ghostbusters 2016 was actually really bad though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The criticisms I've seen of series 11 from the left include a lack of moral/ethical core and LGBT representation coming largely in the form of bit characters saying "btw im gay" before being killed, as well as the bulk of character development among the diverse cast going to the white man. Basically a progressive shell disguising conservatism underneath

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You only need to look at the comments under any official Doctor Who FB post to see who’s downvoting it. Within seconds of a post appearing there’s a cavalcade of moaning about ‘how boring the show is now’, ‘how it’s aggressively progressive’, ‘catering to SJWs’, and so on. :jerkbag:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

You only need to look at the comments under any official Doctor Who FB post to see who’s downvoting it. Within seconds of a post appearing there’s a cavalcade of moaning about ‘how boring the show is now’, ‘how it’s aggressively progressive’, ‘catering to SJWs’, and so on. :jerkbag:

It honestly depresses me how loving negative many of the FB comments on nearly every single official Doctor Who FB post is.

How and why did a franchise like Who get such lovely loving fans?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Nah it's fine.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have never cared much about any movie with the word ‘Ghostbusters’ in the title.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

B-b-b-but Doctor Who is sacred. This absolutely ruins the show for me.

SPLINK!

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 7, 2019

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AndyElusive posted:

It needed a better script and tighter editing that's for sure.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

York_M_Chan posted:

B-b-b-but Doctor Who is sacred. This absolutely ruins the show for me.

SPLINK!

Whatever you do, don't S.P.L.I.N.K. S.P.L.I.N.K and you're dead.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AndyElusive posted:

It honestly depresses me how loving negative many of the FB comments on nearly every single official Doctor Who FB post is.

How and why did a franchise like Who get such lovely loving fans?

It’s nearly every major franchise nowadays because chuds are the loudest people on the internet and social media sites refuse to shut them down. Star Trek, Doctor Who, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, at this point it wouldn’t even surprise me if the Jif peanut butter Facebook page had people screaming about SJWs in their comment sections.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I had a guy on Twitter try to tell that the big problem with S11 was how every ep they kept making a big deal about how the Doctor was now a woman :psyduck:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's funny the same kind of people who don't want their entertainment to be "political" have also decided that any kind of diversity in casting is a "political" act, such that the mere inclusion of a woman or a person of color in something is an expression of ideology. You wonder, if a guy asks to bring his boyfriend over, if these people bemoan how the party suddenly got political.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

You wonder, if a guy asks to bring his boyfriend over, if these people bemoan how the party suddenly got political.

Judging from the way people talked about Bill Potts last year, even here, I don't think you have to wonder.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

It's funny the same kind of people who don't want their entertainment to be "political" have also decided that any kind of diversity in casting is a "political" act, such that the mere inclusion of a woman or a person of color in something is an expression of ideology. You wonder, if a guy asks to bring his boyfriend over, if these people bemoan how the party suddenly got political.

I was talking with a friend about the new Twilight Zone series and before I could get into why I'm really hopeful and excited for it, he commented that he didn't think it was going to be good because it was probably going to be too social issues-y and too heavy handed

And I just

What?

It's the loving Twilight Zone. If it isn't that at least HALF the time, you've failed utterly at what you're doing. This was a show that hated racists and Nazis almost as much as Mel goddamn Brooks.

Then you see these chucklefucks complaining about similar stuff with Doctor Who, which has ALWAYS took a hard stance against facisim and being a lovely person and argued towards the better nature of all people, and you have to wonder what the gently caress they ever took from these properties

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

2house2fly posted:

The criticisms I've seen of series 11 from the left include a lack of moral/ethical core and LGBT representation coming largely in the form of bit characters saying "btw im gay" before being killed, as well as the bulk of character development among the diverse cast going to the white man. Basically a progressive shell disguising conservatism underneath

Which I agree with, frankly

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

I was talking with a friend about the new Twilight Zone series and before I could get into why I'm really hopeful and excited for it, he commented that he didn't think it was going to be good because it was probably going to be too social issues-y and too heavy handed

And I just

What?

It's the loving Twilight Zone. If it isn't that at least HALF the time, you've failed utterly at what you're doing. This was a show that hated racists and Nazis almost as much as Mel goddamn Brooks.

Then you see these chucklefucks complaining about similar stuff with Doctor Who, which has ALWAYS took a hard stance against facisim and being a lovely person and argued towards the better nature of all people, and you have to wonder what the gently caress they ever took from these properties

Conservatives have this amazing ability to watch something on a purely surface level and never once understand that the story’s central conflict is allegory or metaphor.

Willful ignorance or genuine stupidity, either way it’s incredible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think I always knew in my mind that aggregated user scores were useless, but the review bombing of stuff like the latest season of Who, of The Last Jedi, of Ghostbusters and the like kinda proves it plain-faced.

Hell, it might actually be worse than useless. Yeah, there's valid complaints to be made about all of those; we know our own issues with Who pretty well, and while I've never seen those other two I've heard drat good and well-reasoned criticisms about what's wrong with them. But a nuanced, considered and explained opinion carries exactly as much weight as an idiot screaming 'BUT WOMEN' at his computer screen, so why bother.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

And I just

What?

Yeah, being political and heavy-handed pretty much is The Twilight Zone. I'm hopeful for it too, but I really, really hate the CBS leadership and I'm not sure I can pay for their streaming service.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Conservatives have this amazing ability to watch something on a purely surface level and never once understand that the story’s central conflict is allegory or metaphor.

I will take every opportunity to point out how often Republican Presidential nominees use Born in the USA at their rallies, having clearly never listened to a single lyric beyond the chorus.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yep they do the same thing with Star Trek. It’s like have you even SEEN Star Trek before?!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fandoms are conservative in nature, if you think about it. It’s why so many people say their favorite James Bond is Sean Connery.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Fandoms are conservative in nature, if you think about it. It’s why so many people say their favorite James Bond is Sean Connery.

He's my favorite to be honest, but I think it's because the whole concept of James Bond is so hopelessly regressive that you may as well go with the person giving it their all instead of phoning it in like Brosnan or Moore. Plus it's somehow easier to stomach the 60s era sexism than the movies that think they've moved past it but are mostly just as bad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have no real reference here as I've never seen a James Bond movie, but on a very related note, Kirk is definitely my favorite of the Captains.

But that owes more to OG STar Trek not really giving a poo poo about the science a lot of the time and not being up their own rear end about their made up poo poo and just being good sci-fi adventure stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cleretic posted:

I think I always knew in my mind that aggregated user scores were useless, but the review bombing of stuff like the latest season of Who, of The Last Jedi, of Ghostbusters and the like kinda proves it plain-faced.

Hell, it might actually be worse than useless. Yeah, there's valid complaints to be made about all of those; we know our own issues with Who pretty well, and while I've never seen those other two I've heard drat good and well-reasoned criticisms about what's wrong with them. But a nuanced, considered and explained opinion carries exactly as much weight as an idiot screaming 'BUT WOMEN' at his computer screen, so why bother.

I mean, I think the Ghostbusters reboot is actually quite bad? I'm sure there's people who were angry because WOMEN GHOSTBUSTER but it's also a movie with basically no script or directorial vision