Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lol that the people who subscribe to Chapo on Patreon paid a good chunk of that to a Kushner company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

cross-posting because Patreon seems relevant/important to a big chunk of the hobby (and to independent arts in general)

Yeah, the writing was on the wall that Patreon would inevitably do something real dumb the last time they did something real dumb which cost a bunch of people a chunk of their patrons. That's not an "I told you so" but I imagine everyone who was affected last time has given more than a moment's thought as to a migration strategy should they break stuff in a more serious way next time.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, the writing was on the wall that Patreon would inevitably do something real dumb the last time they did something real dumb which cost a bunch of people a chunk of their patrons. That's not an "I told you so" but I imagine everyone who was affected last time has given more than a moment's thought as to a migration strategy should they break stuff in a more serious way next time.

And as these things go, a lot of noise was made about alternatives, most of which is largely notional, so when it happens again poo poo's going to either fragment drastically or just collapse totally, neither of which are great for the people actually producing the work that makes all the (non-VC) money in the first place.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Bully Pulpit Games and Dennis Detwiller have presences on Drip and Drip looks pretty decent in terms of service and also success for them so good on them for branching out early.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

moths posted:

It's pretty much hardwired into gamers to just get silly, though.

There's a ton of "serious" games out there that would benefit from a somber tone, but with players it's like a Prisoner's Dilemma who'll drop the first Monty Python quote, pop culture reference, or funny voice.

Just get it all out of the way in the first session so the novelty wears off. Run it into the ground on purpose.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hostile V posted:

Bully Pulpit Games and Dennis Detwiller have presences on Drip and Drip looks pretty decent in terms of service and also success for them so good on them for branching out early.

Drip is still invite only right now (at least according to their website.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just get it all out of the way in the first session so the novelty wears off. Run it into the ground on purpose.

If the intention is to have a serious session, what I like to do is have everyone chat and joke a bit at the start of the evening during the usual social catching-up, and then have a regular little routine for going IC. Metaphorically or literally dim the lights, maybe play a particular bit of music, do a recap of the last session's action (keeping it serious in tone), and do some real clear, evocative narration of where the PCs presently are and what they are presently experiencing, making sure to cover as many senses as possible. It's a bit of ritual which nicely separates the evening from "goofing around time" to "character immersion serious gaming time".

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

cross-posting because Patreon seems relevant/important to a big chunk of the hobby (and to independent arts in general)

It’s bewildering that they describe their model as unsustainable when their take is currently 5%. Seems like they could easily double or even triple that with little impact to creators. But I guess making reasonable amounts of money is unacceptable when the industry standard is to cannibalize everything you can about your users.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

8one6 posted:

Drip is still invite only right now (at least according to their website.)
Yeah, I had the idea to change from a per-release Patreon to a monthly thing, but Drip has shown no sign of progress towards open signups so I ended up retooling my Patreon. Hopefully either Drip will have a proper launch before too long and/or Patreon won't screw things up too badly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
One of the things that made me laugh about the Patreon announcement was the implication that they want to implement the ability to host/stream video so that they can directly compete with Youtube/Twitch rather than just being an alternate revenue stream for primary users of those platforms.

And uhh, yeah, sure, good luck with that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I mean, it's not a bad idea, but judging by how kludgey the Patreon site is to begin with, they may want to consider cleaning up the hovel they live in before trying to make it into a playhouse.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RiffTrax went with Drip, which I thought was odd at the time. Now it might providential.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Speaking of Critical Role, I'm enjoying it, starting with Season 2. And I am kinda not getting the complaints about editing or whatever, because at least at the start of this campaign, most of Episode 2 is spent with the players utterly failing to find the plot, and the DM kind of just rolling with it but also kinda being unhelpful and not really giving them any obvious direction. So ... that felt pretty close to an actual D&D session, only with way better voice acting.

Also, on a smaller note, I was watching a battle and thinking, "Oh hey, that looks really familiar..." when I looked at the battle mat. And sure enough, it's from Mats by Mars, owned/run by one of my old players back in the early 00's, back when I was running Call of Cthulhu and Arcana Evolved. A few years back, he sent me like 20 of those maps along with a really nice letter about how those years of gaming helped inspire him to get into the RPG accessory biz. It's weird how that all went full-circle, and I have to say, I am really proud of him. :)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

back when I was running... Arcana Evolved.

take it to the Chat thread if you'd like, but what did you think of this system? I bought it for cheap last year and have been thinking of running it

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

take it to the Chat thread if you'd like, but what did you think of this system? I bought it for cheap last year and have been thinking of running it
I'll do just that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DalaranJ posted:

It’s bewildering that they describe their model as unsustainable when their take is currently 5%. Seems like they could easily double or even triple that with little impact to creators. But I guess making reasonable amounts of money is unacceptable when the industry standard is to cannibalize everything you can about your users.

The problem isn't sustainability. It is year on year profit increases needed to pacify the investors.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I mean, it's not a bad idea, but judging by how kludgey the Patreon site is to begin with, they may want to consider cleaning up the hovel they live in before trying to make it into a playhouse.

It’s actually one of their worst possible ideas. Video would massively increase their hosting costs.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

It’s actually one of their worst possible ideas. Video would massively increase their hosting costs.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to copy YouTube, a thing that notoriously loses money?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to copy YouTube, a thing that notoriously loses money?

Because if people never leave Patreon to consume their media it will be easier for Patreon to try and cross-sell them other ways to give Patreon money.

But that's incredibly dumb. People just don't throw money at random creators just because they might be good. They give money to people they're already following and invested in. The reason Patreon works as an "exclusivity" thing is because there is public media elsewhere, and people can 1)find creators 2)consume their work 3)want to give them money and then 4)get bonus rewards FROM patreon for doing so. Patreon wants to remove 2 all together.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Because the investors in the platform have a head like a hole and are beholden to profit above all with all other goals as distant seconds. Patreon is a means to an end to generate investment. It doesn't matter to them how many people need it to survive. It should just do everything and be everything to get all the money and survive. If it doesn't, and it won't, keep beating it until it dies, count your coins and wander off to find new investments to squeeze while ignoring the lamentations of the dying and doomed.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Because capitalism is stupid

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mors Rattus posted:

You're right, I wasn't thinking about that.

Granted, the thing about video is that you wouldn't have explosive views like Youtube or Twitch, most would be limited to subscribers. Of course, that would also keep it from having the reach their investors would likely want out of video investment in the first place.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Speaking of Critical Role, I'm enjoying it, starting with Season 2. And I am kinda not getting the complaints about editing or whatever, because at least at the start of this campaign, most of Episode 2 is spent with the players utterly failing to find the plot, and the DM kind of just rolling with it but also kinda being unhelpful and not really giving them any obvious direction. So ... that felt pretty close to an actual D&D session, only with way better voice acting.

Critical Role is a whole different beast to what most people were discussing back there, as far as I know they don't really do any editing and is more included in the 'unrealistic expectations' and 'dont get to see the work going into it out of session to see how it gets to here' categories than any of the editing stuff people were talking about.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

kingcom posted:

Critical Role is a whole different beast to what most people were discussing back there, as far as I know they don't really do any editing and is more included in the 'unrealistic expectations' and 'dont get to see the work going into it out of session to see how it gets to here' categories than any of the editing stuff people were talking about.

There seemed to be an odd tangent that arose with "Critical Role is not indicative of the hobby!" with "Actual Play podcasts edit their episodes!" and they weren't the same problem. Or "problem" I suppose.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Dawgstar posted:

There seemed to be an odd tangent that arose with "Critical Role is not indicative of the hobby!" with "Actual Play podcasts edit their episodes!" and they weren't the same problem. Or "problem" I suppose.

Yeah, they were two different things that got blurred together a bit. With a side of "certain actual play podcasts totally ignore the rules of the game basically all the time"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, they were two different things that got blurred together a bit. With a side of "certain actual play podcasts totally ignore the rules of the game basically all the time"

Hey if they are playing D&D that isn't so far from reality.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Kai Tave posted:

Patreon's CEO has responded

https://twitter.com/jackconte/status/1093223206805106688

Basically, I think Patreon will create new *optional* services for creators to generate more income. I'd love to see better merch fulfillment/POD integration. I'm sure there will be more services as well.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

clockworkjoe posted:

Basically, I think Patreon will create new *optional* services for creators to generate more income. I'd love to see better merch fulfillment/POD integration. I'm sure there will be more services as well.

so Dan's assertion is valid, only that the geometric economies of scale are diminished by need for real life support

so the solution is a ton of new features, that a) don't actually use the economies of scale and b) very likely all need even more support

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'll be honest if they could get POD and merch support integration I could make more money and by extension make them more money.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

clockworkjoe posted:

New services require capital to start up. This means either extracting greater funding from the current customer base or going further into hock to VC companies who expect year on year rate of return increases, not just repayment with interest.

A whole lot of independent creative industry workers rely on them not loving this up to be able to stay in business.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
5% is already highway robbery for a service that basically hosts blogs with links to paypal on them.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

5% is already highway robbery for a service that basically hosts blogs with links to paypal on them.

Please don't give away the secret sauce.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It also handles payment processing, doesn't it? Most processors take a much higher cut from independent artists, from what I know.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Elephant Parade posted:

It also handles payment processing, doesn't it? Most processors take a much higher cut from independent artists, from what I know.

Also as a podcaster I find their RSS feed indispensable. It's customized per donor to give patrons content their donation level unlocks. Since I make three bonus shows to be distributed at various pledge levels among 800 donors my model really relies on that thing.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 7, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Elephant Parade posted:

Yeah I'm overstating it a little, they certainly handle payments for more than just paypal. It's still mostly a pass-through service, I kinda doubt any work they do is actually proportional to the amount donated. Paypal takes 2.9% for what it's worth, I don't know the rates for other payment processors.

theironjef posted:

Also as a podcaster I find their RSS feed indispensable. It's customized per donor to give patrons content their donation level unlocks. Since I make three bonus shows to be distributed at various pledge levels among 800 donors my model really relies on that thing.
This is all well and good, but I don't see why it gets them a percentage and not a fixed rate. They don't have to work harder on it as your earnings go up. I have no doubt it's useful but that doesn't mean it was difficult for them to implement - it's a pretty simple thing to do if you're already tracking users with different tiers.

A patreon-like service that just did at-cost payment processing and charged the bare minimum to keep the lights on would be a pretty cool charity. Instead of paying creative folks like a patron of the arts, they facilitate thousands of other people paying artists they like, a huge bump in leverage for relatively little initial effort.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 7, 2019

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

"Nuh uh, Dan is wrong, also a fuckin' Kushner is the nicest sweetest person on earth, you should definitely take the things I say seriously"

Like I don't see anything in that rant against criticism except, "It's HARD you guys, and it's COMPLICATED!" as if those things somehow invalidate the critique?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Someone posted this in reply to Dan's post which made me laugh.
https://twitter.com/Campster/status/1093350745133498369

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

But why? What the hell is Patreon spending their money on? Hosting doesn't cost 5%, and I don't think they go heavy into ad buy, so where does the money go?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

did you read his thread at all? It sounds like by far his biggest costs are customer support and international compliance

oh and fraud detection/prevention

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

All of those things are also true of credit cards, which take a smaller cut and provide more services.