Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

Is it me or are the frost quakes and fire tornadoes more intense these days than they used to be when I was kid? Back then I'm pretty sure the existed only in Diablo II and not actually IRL

the planet is turning into a hell like Diablo’s universe :bernin::bernin::bernin::bernin::bernin::bernin::discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

How did you know that I'm 130 years old??

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

maker posted:

the planet is turning into a hell like Diablo’s universe :bernin::bernin::bernin::bernin::bernin::bernin::discourse:

been training my whole life for this

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheHoosier posted:

been training my whole life for this

Stay a while and listen

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Legit do not even understand what I'm seeing here.

Is it like the video of the waves which were instantly freezing, only a couple days later?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Legit do not even understand what I'm seeing here.

Is it like the video of the waves which were instantly freezing, only a couple days later?

Just a guess, but the crust of ice that forms along a lakeshore, maybe it had waves going over it adding to the ice

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

twoday posted:

How did you know that I'm 130 years old??

Little things. You talk about polio like you have first hand experience, and then there's the numerous, unprompted references to "Palmer would have won".

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

[CYCLONE SO SOON?]

https://twitter.com/NWSBayArea/status/1091744034425630725

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

we had hail last night in addition to heavy rain in the east bay

why the gently caress do i pay 2k a month in rent for this poo poo lol

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

maker posted:

cool when do we get pindlebots

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Siljmonster posted:

cool when do we get pindlebots

We're the pindlebots for rich assholes, obviously

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tempora Mutantur posted:

well this is ironic huh

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I'm a nightmare mephisto bot

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

remember when a hurricane hit ireland lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

we just had a tornado warning in the middle of a 100 year flood lmao

FEBRUARY

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Epic High Five posted:

FEBRUARY

The Ohio river is in flood conditions right now, and I just got a flash flood warning

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
1000 year flood is really a misnomer at this point. they should be called 1 year floods

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

The Ohio river is in flood conditions right now, and I just got a flash flood warning

we've been under a flash flood warning since noonish and will be until at least 3:30, one of the main roads in downtown has been consumed by a meadow turned lake lmao

https://twitter.com/JGoetz2point0/status/1093562470063591430

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Al ! posted:

1000 year flood is really a misnomer at this point. they should be called 1 year floods

lol ya, that statistic during the Houston hurricane that they've had 100 year floods in 4 of the last 5 years was pretty great

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
I was just contemplating applying for a university job in bloomington

lol nvm

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Food Boner posted:

I was just contemplating applying for a university job in bloomington

lol nvm

you should it rules here, rest of the state except for bits of Indy blows tho

yearly 100 year floods ain't gonna be something you can avoid

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
well on the one hand it's really useful to be able to point to something that's only supposed to have a 1% or 2% of happening in any given year as occurring multiple times a year or 5 years in a row or whatever

but otoh the usgs does in fact refine the flooding quantiles for rivers and basins and stuff, the problem is that they're incorporating more recent data with stuff from decades ago. i tend to agree that it should probably be weighted more heavily toward more recent data, but i'm not a hydrologist and the usgs is certainly not in the business of climate change denial - remember that they're the people fought against by those wackadoo state legislatures that want to litigate away the concept of sea level rise

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

should also be fun when this all freezes overnight when it drops to the low teens

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ice skate to work

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

ice skate to work

if a 100 year flood's residuals freeze overnight you better believe I'm calling in lmao

probably I'll just take the bus

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well on the one hand it's really useful to be able to point to something that's only supposed to have a 1% or 2% of happening in any given year as occurring multiple times a year or 5 years in a row or whatever

but otoh the usgs does in fact refine the flooding quantiles for rivers and basins and stuff, the problem is that they're incorporating more recent data with stuff from decades ago. i tend to agree that it should probably be weighted more heavily toward more recent data, but i'm not a hydrologist and the usgs is certainly not in the business of climate change denial - remember that they're the people fought against by those wackadoo state legislatures that want to litigate away the concept of sea level rise

oh I'm not impuning them here, statistically speaking even if it happen 4 years in a row it's still a 100 year flood by the definition of the term as we know it. While a change to the methodology is probably warranted, my point was more to look at our rapidly imploding biosphere and say, "lmao" and "tremem"

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

FEBRUARY

We're supposed to get 5-8" of snow in the next few days in the Seattle area. Guess I won't be driving anywhere!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So when the local floodplain map has a bunch of areas labeled as "0.2% annual chance of flooding" that are indeed flooded, what's that mean

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

So when the local floodplain map has a bunch of areas labeled as "0.2% annual chance of flooding" that are indeed flooded, what's that mean

Steal ur neighbors boat and raid the flooded ruins of Walmart for supplies

twoday
May 4, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

How bad are they flooded

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

it means you've graduated from 100 year floods to 500 year floods

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

That a "500 year flood" will flood your house.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

How bad are they flooded

it's only a few of them that I've heard about but they're also the ones on my "safe recommended roads map" route home lmao owned

I doubt we're in 500 year territory, but everything I'm hearing is about ridiculous flooding and emergency responses, gonna be cool as hell when it all starts freezing in 7 hours

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

for the fema flood maps, the ones that insurance companies use, they basically separate everything out into 100 year and 500 year flood areas, though it's more complicated than that

so the 0.2% (or 500 year flood) areas that you're probably referring to are "zone x" which are inside of the 1%/100 year flood areas, so they're subject to both. structures built there must be above the stated base flood elevation for that area, which is supposed to put the ground floor above the 100 year floodline, in theory

here's the legend from one of those maps

but yeah the 0.2% chance area could be flooded, just not bad enough to damage any (newer) buildings there

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

just heard that one of the dorms that's been partially shut down to remove a huge mold outbreak is now flooding, that should make somebody's life easier

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also there's a shitload of uncertainty in flood quantiles and floodmaps and watersheds in general thanks to not only climate change but also ongoing development

all the flooding in houston has been driven largely by completely unrestricted development where the city just didn't give half a poo poo about paving over everything and just said that the existing drainage canals were fine and then paved over those too

twoday
May 4, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

just heard that one of the dorms that's been partially shut down to remove a huge mold outbreak is now flooding, that should make somebody's life easier

You want to get as much mold in there as possible first to get your money's worth on the removal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also there's a shitload of uncertainty in flood quantiles and floodmaps and watersheds in general thanks to not only climate change but also ongoing development

all the flooding in houston has been driven largely by completely unrestricted development where the city just didn't give half a poo poo about paving over everything and just said that the existing drainage canals were fine and then paved over those too

everything's dumber in texas