Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

All-Stars never interested me because it was a bunch of games I've never heard of. Kinda like those two anime dudes in WO3U. (Their series was Stein something?) Honestly I wish the WO series had more historical warriors from other parts of the world. Just always seems weird that only warriors from two parts of history are pulled together to fight. Especially when their brought together by Olympian gods. :shrug:

Just let me pit William Wallace against the forces of Cao Cao :black101:

I would love some sort of American Warriors, with Abe Lincoln single-handedly winning the Civil War by swinging around a giant log or something. It would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HJE-Cobra posted:

I would love some sort of American Warriors, with Abe Lincoln single-handedly winning the Civil War by swinging around a giant log or something. It would be amazing.

This would, however, involve Tecmo Koei's take on the Confederacy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Darth Walrus posted:

This would, however, involve Tecmo Koei's take on the Confederacy.

it's an army of a million mooks who only speak inaka dialects that abe lincoln can KO with his stovepipe hat/flamethrower/void cannon

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

HJE-Cobra posted:

Alexander Hamilton armed with... a pen

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

"I cannot tell a lie... you are a true Soldier of the North!"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Policenaut posted:

"I cannot tell a lie... you are a true Soldier of the North!"

I can hear this in Yuan Shao's terrible DW3 voice, and I love it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Koei did an American revolution game didn’t they? George Washington wouldn’t be the most inexplicable character to show up in a musou game

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Koei Tecmo to host a 15th anniversary stream for Samurai Warriors on the 6th.

So I guess Samurai Warriors 5 is KT's next thing?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Samurai Warriors 4-II-2

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Hopefully they get rid of Hyper Attacks and using 2 characters at once. If only one is an option then I guess we can keep Hyper Attacks.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

PureRok posted:

Hopefully they get rid of Hyper Attacks and using 2 characters at once. If only one is an option then I guess we can keep Hyper Attacks.

Hopefully they don't do that, because both of those things are actually good, also they should add Yasuke.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I also hope they don't take out the two best features of Samurai Warriors.

In fact they should make it like the 3DS games and give you four characters to switch between.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

CaptainRat posted:

Hopefully they don't do that, because both of those things are actually good, also they should add Yasuke.

:emptyquote:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I don’t think I’ve played a SW title since 2, seems like the thread’s reaction to them was always kinda ‘its good but’. SW4 worth picking up?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's like top 5 Warriors games probably.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yeah hyper attacks blow and makes it so that every character feels basically the same.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hyper Attacks are a good idea, IMO, but the execution is pretty shite.
They could probably achieve the same goal easier if they implement a better horse-to-ground combat system instead and then make enemy offices immune to it/being able to dismount you.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Hyper Attacks should be limited to being active during Rage state. As it is right now they pretty much render basic attacks obsolete until an officer turns up.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
luv 2 play a smear of color for 90% of my musou game. So exciting :geno:

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Warriors Orochi 4 is lacking because there is just one Story.

Warriors Orochi 3 had the same problem for me. Really great fun. But only ran through the game once.

WO 1+2 had multiple stories to try out, which broke up the huge roster into manageable chunks (also playing Orochi's version of the story was great). I mean, by the end of Chapter 3 of WO 4, you have over 100 officers... but you still keep hearing bullshit about how you are outnumbered. You play on the same maps. One particular map is featured 4 times. Finally, in my entire time playing WO4, I never once saw one of my officers defeat someone else, or be defeated by an enemy officer (not including scripted events). Hearkening back to DW3 Hu Lao Gate, where every 2 minutes I am getting notifications such as "Xiahou Dun 50 KOs" or "Lu Bu has defeated Yuan Shu."

WO1 still is the best for me because of how challenging Koshi Castle was as a stage. Odin was an absolute cakewalk.

Final point. Magoichi Saika. Just keep pressing Y. You will never be hit ever again.

"If Wei has Zhang Liao. Wu has Gan Ning." - my DW3 quote of the day. As a kid I always heard Who has Gan Ning? - was terrified he would randomly turn on us.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Manic X posted:

Warriors Orochi 4 is lacking because there is just one Story.

Warriors Orochi 3 had the same problem for me. Really great fun. But only ran through the game once.

WO 1+2 had multiple stories to try out, which broke up the huge roster into manageable chunks (also playing Orochi's version of the story was great). I mean, by the end of Chapter 3 of WO 4, you have over 100 officers... but you still keep hearing bullshit about how you are outnumbered. You play on the same maps. One particular map is featured 4 times. Finally, in my entire time playing WO4, I never once saw one of my officers defeat someone else, or be defeated by an enemy officer (not including scripted events). Hearkening back to DW3 Hu Lao Gate, where every 2 minutes I am getting notifications such as "Xiahou Dun 50 KOs" or "Lu Bu has defeated Yuan Shu."

WO1 still is the best for me because of how challenging Koshi Castle was as a stage. Odin was an absolute cakewalk.

Final point. Magoichi Saika. Just keep pressing Y. You will never be hit ever again.

"If Wei has Zhang Liao. Wu has Gan Ning." - my DW3 quote of the day. As a kid I always heard Who has Gan Ning? - was terrified he would randomly turn on us.

Agree with so many points, especially DW3... except for the Gan Ning one. Long story short, my first foray into DW3 He Fei resulted in bloody carnage with Sun Quan finally being cornered, only for Gan Ning to appear. Problem was that I'd spent so much time playing "save the officers!" that this was the very first map I got 1000 kills on. So sure, panic at first with that music change but then I hit that precious 1k very soon after Gan Ning entered, only for Cao Cao to slap the poo poo out of him.

That aside, I miss the competence/incompetence of AI generals and how battles would unfold around you. I hosed about with DW3 recently and He Fei Castle was brilliantly absorbing.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Dicking around with the AI was the best part of DW3. When I got really bored I'd let maps play themselves to see how things resolved and it's hilarious watching Lu Bu just get unceremoniously killed off due to morale bollocks.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

McTimmy posted:

Dicking around with the AI was the best part of DW3. When I got really bored I'd let maps play themselves to see how things resolved and it's hilarious watching Lu Bu just get unceremoniously killed off due to morale bollocks.

What I liked was the severity of the updates. Allied officer trounces an important & playable character of an enemy general? Weak "Yey" with a blue highlight. Allied subordinate NPC with no troops or morale to begin with finally loses a skirmish against insurmountable odds? DEAFENING GONG OF DEFEAT!!!!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I just loved watching and figuring out the AI in general.

Random observation I've noticed over the years is that in the 3-5 engine, officers and even regular troops with Pikes loved the Jump Charge attack that slammed you down into the ground, more than any other weapon type. Of course, that only applies from 4 onward, since 3 didn't have that attack yet.

It's a random bit of OCD of mine that, unless I'm absolutely in "SERIOUS-TIME" mode, I like to try and only use the orbs and mounts that the AI version of the character I'm playing. So, as Zhang He in 4, I'd go with the Vorpal Orb, but with Dian Wei, I'd use the Lightning Orb. Or the Ice Orb as Pang Tong. Sometimes I go so far as to only use said orb, saddle if applicable, and the Peacock Urn for HP. Never on higher difficulties, though.

I especially loved, in the Empires Games, trying to find my Edit Officers when they're AI-controlled, and observe their behavior. See which skill they got assigned in 5: Empires, what orb they use (I can't remember if they just used the source character's element, but I don't think they did). I still remember one hilarious story.

Made an Edit character based on a friend's character in online game I play. Very aggressive character, so I handed her the biggest beatstick I could think of. Huang Gai's club seemed to fit. She ended up as an enemy Ruler in a campaign (This is 5: Empires, btw). The AI version of this character (I'll just call her "E" for short) ended up with Taunt as her ability. At one point, I'm in a defense battle against her, on the Cheng Du map (the one with Liu Bei attacking Liu Zhang). Her main Stronghold is over in the forest, at that end of things. E's come herself as the Commander of the attack, and I've got the special tactic thing that lets me see what the enemy officers' individual "orders" were at any one time - what their AI's current directive was, where they were headed. Very neat to observe, to see what they're up to, how they think, what their priorities are at any given time. Always funny to look at that and see just about all of their orders set to "ELIMINATE PLAYER OFFICER".

But I digress. I went about my business. I was around the middle of the map, taking a stronghold, when all of a sudden, I realize "Wait a second, what the hell is E doing here?!". She's supposed to be the Commander! They don't leave their Base on defense maps! I go to look at her AI Orders, and lo and behold, she's still set to "Defend Main Camp!" BULLSHIT, LADY! You are nowhere NEAR your main camp! In hindsight, I considered that this was actually quite in-character for the character she was based on. Very aggressive lady. Best defense is a good offense sorta thing. Clearly she had decided that the best way to defend the Main Camp was to eliminate me before I could get near it!

In truth, I later came to the conclusion that at some point in the battle, she must have used her Taunt ability on someone, and this caused her to charge out to meet them despite her orders being set to defend, and I merely got in the way. But it was still hilarious and confusing at the time.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

McTimmy posted:

Whenever I let Hu Lao gate playout, Lu Bu would destroy everybody. After defeat Yuan Shu in about 3 minutes, he would venture to the north and usually be intercepted by Liu Bei's unit and Gongsun Zan, and wipe them out quickly. His pattern then was to head towards Sun Jian, who was already nearly defeated from just Hua Xiong. Sometimes Cao Cao would reach him by this point, but he always made it to Yuan Shao's camp when I let it unfold... even on easy. I remember one time I defeated all enemy officers except Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu. And I watched the battle on-screen with all my elite bodyguards, plus all allied officers pounding at him. He just had to do that standard triangle attack. He did eventually get defeated, but he still killed off 4 units by himself.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

What I liked was the severity of the updates. Allied officer trounces an important & playable character of an enemy general? Weak "Yey" with a blue highlight. Allied subordinate NPC with no troops or morale to begin with finally loses a skirmish against insurmountable odds? DEAFENING GONG OF DEFEAT!!!!

This. IIRC when one of your units were killed there were four updates with that gong. X has defeated Y. Y's lieutenants have been scattered. Y's force has been Obliterated. X's force's morale is rising.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Manic X posted:

This. IIRC when one of your units were killed there were four updates with that gong. X has defeated Y. Y's lieutenants have been scattered. Y's force has been Obliterated. X's force's morale is rising.

This brings to mind an amusing mental image of some rear end in a top hat messenger running up to you and just smashing that gong repeatedly next to your ear while screaming "WE'RE SO hosed! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE AHHHHHHH!!!"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My favorite thing of DW3 is the bodyguards :yaycloud:

Actually in 4 I remember one of the officer's scenarios being you holding a gate, and the gate had 2 entrances and you couldn't let enemies past the gate. So I took one and set up my elite bodyguards on the other.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Drakenel posted:

This brings to mind an amusing mental image of some rear end in a top hat messenger running up to you and just smashing that gong repeatedly next to your ear while screaming "WE'RE SO hosed! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE AHHHHHHH!!!"

He would be paid overtime on Shu Yi Ling.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

I remember Lü Meng defeating everyone and me thinking, “Lu Bu’s bro is even better!”

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
It's been a while since I've checked in on this thread (so I don't know if I've missed any big Musou stuff), but Humble Bundle's having a sale on the Koei Tecmo catalog!

I thought about picking up one of the strategy games (Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence, NA: SoI - Ascension, Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII), but I don't know which of the three is worth getting.

I also thought about getting Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires, but the Steam reviews make it sound like it has some technical problems.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
In general, the Nioh package is the best value by a mile.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tae posted:

In general, the Nioh package is the best value by a mile.

I already have Nioh on PS4, but I agree that it's worth checking out if you haven't played it (don't know how the PC port compares to the PS4 version).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Important Fate Extella Link announcement:

There is an hour of English Switch gameplay up. Hard to tell performance, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBMda9k0Ds0

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Warriors 5 is happening, but KT doesn't know when they'll reveal it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Remember the good old days when we got eight Warriors games a year?

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Remember the good old days when we got eight Warriors games a year?

After the disaster of DW9, I can respect they tried something different, and I want them to spend more time trying something a little different. They need to find a balance of familiar gameplay, with enough change that's not just a few new characters.

WO4 was short, but with the magic system, at least it tried something different.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

chumbler posted:

Important Fate Extella Link announcement:

There is an hour of English Switch gameplay up. Hard to tell performance, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBMda9k0Ds0

maybe it'll be good

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Stairmaster posted:

maybe it'll be good

Probably not!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first one was good so hopefully this one will be too now there's more than eight characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The first one was good so hopefully this one will be too now there's more than eight characters.

Eight characters? Someone's being generous. I mean I enjoyed it but let's be real the good musou character list is not much longer than just Nero.