Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

It's almost certainly running in DOSBox so now they've done the groundwork of porting that to the Switch they'd be crazy not to put out the other games as well.

LOOM for Switch please

Heath posted:

People were reporting intolerable input lag around release.

More like Intolerable people were reporting input lag around release. I kid, but I get sick of seeing things described as literally unplayable when they are basically fine. I haven't gotten Rain World yet, though, so what the gently caress do I know (nothing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

list the snes rpgs you like more than chrono trigger

Secret of Mana
Lufia II

I think that's it. There may have been 1-2 more games I liked more than Chrono Trigger, but they weren't RPGs so they don't count.

(To be honest though, Chrono Trigger never came out in PAL-territories back then, so I never experienced it on the SNES. I played the heck out of the DS-version though, and re-bought it for my Android smartphone so I can sometimes play it on the go. It's not a bad game, but the nostalgia-factor for me is about zero. I rate it about 3 Chrono Crosses out of 4. Same problem with FFVI. Back when it was called FFIII, I could just longingly envy you English-speaking motherfuckers, so zero nostalgia here. Played the heck out of it on like three different systems later, too.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember seeing promo videos of HL2, one with a camera that had live-updating on a bunch of in-game screens nearby, and the other when Gordon gravity-gun-throws the F & U letters at the strider in City 17. I bought it a few months after it came out, beat it, and loved it. Months later, I'm sitting in my living room, not doing anything related to HL or gaming, and for whatever reason, I'm suddenly struck with the thought 'Hey, what a loving minute... what the hell happened to that stuff?!' which confused the hell out of my gf at the time.

I looked online later, and from what I remember, it was just tech demo stuff, right?

One of my weirder gaming memories, anyway. Thanks for reading.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Bloop posted:

LOOM for Switch please

More like Intolerable people were reporting input lag around release. I kid, but I get sick of seeing things described as literally unplayable when they are basically fine. I haven't gotten Rain World yet, though, so what the gently caress do I know (nothing)

There's a fellow in this thread with a Rain World avatar who was complaining about it so I think I can take his word for it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Looper posted:

final fantasy 6
front mission gun hazard
secret of mana
treasure hunter g
final fantasy 5
great cave offensive

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It annoys me that there an Away game on the eshop and it's in no way related to Away: Shuffle Dungeon.
They should make a Switch one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

There's a fellow in this thread with a Rain World avatar who was complaining about it so I think I can take his word for it

I guess my point is that people (for example) say that there is some debilitating lag when playing Smash with a USB adapter or (heaven forbid) wireless, and while that may be technically correct, 99.9999% of people would never notice or care and I wonder if the lag is really noticeable if you hadn't already put in 1000 hours on PC.

Not that the cool goon with the Rain World avatar is lying or anything remotely like that, but I haven't seen those complaints in reviews elswehere and additional goon opinions would certainly be welcome because I also plan to buy the game fairly soon

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Looper posted:

Lufia 2
Seiken Densetsu 3
Terranigma
SMRPG (Would not be true if Chrono Trigger had TIMED HITS MOTHER FUCKER)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only SNES RPG I like more than Chrono Trigger is Chrono Trigger.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

The White Dragon posted:

great cave offensive

?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

great cave offensive

:hmmyes:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The only SNES RPG I like more than Chrono Trigger is Chrono Trigger.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

Lufia 2
Seiken Densetsu 3
Terranigma
SMRPG (Would not be true if Chrono Trigger had TIMED HITS MOTHER FUCKER)

Oh yeah, Terranigma! That would have been No. 3 on my list.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Takoluka posted:

This, but a Boo.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Yea I hope we get a baldurs gate port too

aaayyyyyyyyyyyy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Half-Life 2 kinda curbedstomped it, but I honestly think Doom 3 has aged better.

Insanely wrong

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Can't wait for Wacky Wheels on Switch, about time we got a decent kart racer.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There are some fascinating insights into the dev design of HL2 if you turn developer commentary on. Everyone should try it at least once. (Portal 1/2 has one as well)

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Ok, so playing Phantasy Star IV on my Switch has given me the retro itch on this awesome console. I'm now kinda contemplating getting the online service to play some NES games. Do I really need to turn on my Switch at least once a week though to keep playing NES games? My Switch is in sleep mode 100% of the time (docked or not), and there are times where I'll go over a week without even turning it on. I guess what I'm wondering is, is the Switch connected to the network/wifi even in sleep mode and this will ping the online service, or will I physically need to turn on the Switch once a week and open up an NES or something?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BisterdDave posted:

Ok, so playing Phantasy Star IV on my Switch has given me the retro itch on this awesome console. I'm now kinda contemplating getting the online service to play some NES games. Do I really need to turn on my Switch at least once a week though to keep playing NES games? My Switch is in sleep mode 100% of the time (docked or not), and there are times where I'll go over a week without even turning it on. I guess what I'm wondering is, is the Switch connected to the network/wifi even in sleep mode and this will ping the online service, or will I physically need to turn on the Switch once a week and open up an NES or something?

It's not that it has to be on, it has to be ONLINE at least once a week to validate your subscription. If you leave it off for 3 months and turn it back on you wont be able to play until it checks if you are still subscribed if you aren't you'll have to renew your online service to keep playing the NES game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

TheScott2K posted:

How's FIFA 19? Better than 18?

Yes, it's considered the biggest step up between all the consoles from 18-19.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

pixaal posted:

It's not that it has to be on, it has to be ONLINE at least once a week to validate your subscription. If you leave it off for 3 months and turn it back on you wont be able to play until it checks if you are still subscribed if you aren't you'll have to renew your online service to keep playing the NES game.

So let's say I buy a 12 month subscription. I don't turn on my Switch for 3 months. When I do turn it on, the service will need to ping my account, and will see I have 9 months left and continue to let me play NES games?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

BisterdDave posted:

So let's say I buy a 12 month subscription. I don't turn on my Switch for 3 months. When I do turn it on, the service will need to ping my account, and will see I have 9 months left and continue to let me play NES games?

Yes. It just needs to do a periodic check-in on your status.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heath posted:

Yes. It just needs to do a periodic check-in on your status.

Yeah, it's once a week.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Heath posted:

Oh it runs perfectly for me but yeah there's definitely people out there still getting some input delay despite patches, afaik there isn't a known reason why some switches have it and some don't

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Is there a limit to how much data your cloud storage can hold? I'm having trouble finding an answer and Minecraft just updated to allow cloud saves and it's uploading about 700MB right now.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 are both still great today. Doom 3's lighting is really good and it has memorable, creepy moments. Never understood the complaint about needing to swap out the flashlight. Of course it sucks if everything is lit up all the time - you're making GBS threads all over the mood and tone. The dark makes it good.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Fawf posted:

Is there a limit to how much data your cloud storage can hold? I'm having trouble finding an answer and Minecraft just updated to allow cloud saves and it's uploading about 700MB right now.

We've never been told one and I can promise Nintendo knew that was coming w/r/t Minecraft.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 are both still great today. Doom 3's lighting is really good and it has memorable, creepy moments. Never understood the complaint about needing to swap out the flashlight. Of course it sucks if everything is lit up all the time - you're making GBS threads all over the mood and tone. The dark makes it good.

I think Doom 3 gets pooped on for a lot of hoary old FPS design cliches, like infinitely spawning monster closets, and for turning Doom 1 & 2 (and 2016)'s gameplay from "you are hell's nightmare" to more of a survival horror type thing. It might be a good game, but it's not Doom. You know what I mean? On the other hand, if you take away the jump scares and darkness and bullshits spawns, it was really the same game underneath as the old, but with worse level design and a story no-one wanted. Doom 2016 is a way better reboot in every way.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 8, 2019

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah i don't think many folks played Doom for actual spooks and horror; doom 2016 recognising this and making you the most murderous, demonic force on both mars and in hell was one of the smartest, best things about it

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Doom 2016 is the much better game and also captures the spirit of the original 2 games better than 3 ever did, but I still think that 3 stands on it's own merits very well. Most complaints boil down to people wanting it to be something it's not. Of course I love early 00s FPS design clichés too, that's just me personally.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Fawf posted:

cloud storage space is really cheap, you've already paid for that several times over by subscribing to online.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Doom 1 and 2 are lousy with monster closets

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^Yeah, but they came out a decade earlier.

Imagined posted:

I think Doom 3 gets pooped on for a lot of hoary old FPS design cliches, like infinitely spawning monster closets, and for turning Doom 1 & 2 (and 2016)'s gameplay from "you are hell's nightmare" to more of a survival horror type thing. It might be a good game, but it's not Doom. You know what I mean? On the other hand, if you take away the jump scares and darkness and bullshits spawns, it was really the same game underneath as the old, but with worse level design and a story no-one wanted. Doom 2016 is a way better reboot in every way.

I played the Xbox version. I heard they were going for a DooM meets System Shock 2 vibe, but uh, they didn't quite get there.
I can forgive a lot of things about it, but the guns sounding like tinny weak crap is not one of them. I don't know what iD management was thinking when they okayed that.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Doom 1 and 2 have plenty of atmosphere without needing to snip out the gameplay.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Anyone grab Away: Journey to the Unexpected? It fell off my radar after I saw it over the summer, apparently it’s out now.

Looks really neat and it’s fairly cheap.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Takoluka posted:

aaayyyyyyyyyyyy

Lol nice. I’m hype. I don’t know how it’ll control but whatever I’ll give it a shot. I will miss some of the QoL mods I always run on pc

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/_Mizumi/status/1093624414623678466?s=19

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFDJP9WmwVE
:toot: Looking forward to playing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Finally, the annual January Direct.

Also need to remember to quote this next week.