Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CMD598 posted:

It's always been my guess that liberty restrictions are more about what USFJ/7th fleet thinks they need to do rather than what locals want or even expect.

Just like I'm sure Busan is super happy about not getting those carrier port calls anymore or Atsugi/Yokohama having a thousand less people dropping cash off base.

While the locals love you the rest of the people who aren't benefiting from US troop dollars love to demonize idiots. The fleet needs to make the politicians constituents happy rather than just the port.

Same mentality of blaming immigrants in areas where there are no immigrants and the areas that have them love them for the food and cheep labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If I wanted to open a bar for sevice personnel abroad, which cities in the world regularly get shiploads of sailors who've been cooped up and wanting to get their drink on?

And where they'll be allowed out to do so?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Lots of good graphics and narrative. TVS gets a shoutout for being great.

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/uss-fitzgerald-destroyer-crash-crystal/

I'm still hoping the navy learns something from last year.

Edit: This post has been restored by an expert team of archival experts to its original condition.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 7, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Found out my reserves units supporting unit no longer supports them coming out to support them due to clearance issues. It’s all local to me ATs and short courses in exotic locations like San Diego and the occasional rare exercise support.

Bleh.

Got my invite to support the USNO put on hold due to there not being any ATs being available before the projected start date and they won’t release me to do my AT outside of the command.

I really hosed up this year. May end up doing nothing but some scrub AT at home at this rate.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

M_Gargantua posted:

Lots of good graphics and narrative. TVS gets a shoutout for being great.

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/uss-fitzgerald-destroyer-crash-crystal/

I'm still hoping the navy learns something from last year.

I know TVS posted about her position on the Fitz, but I think we should wait for her input before we connect dots that lead back to her real name here on the forums.

We cool.

McNally fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 7, 2019

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

McNally posted:

I know TVS posted about her position on the Fitz, but I think we should wait for her input before we connect dots that lead back to her real name here on the forums.

Was that the ProPublica article?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 7, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

For better or worse TVS is now on the internet with her real name associated to an article (probably via them reading the investigation report, as there's no first hand quotes), but lets not dox goons.

People's real names on this forum are like the first rule of fight club.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 6, 2019

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Madurai posted:

Was that the ProPublica article?

Yes.

McNally fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 7, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I don’t think she’s ever posted anything even remotely embarrassing or negative so at least it didn’t happen to a turboshit poster.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Yeah but gently caress that, you guys know better.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m just going to keep it at :allbuttons: for now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

TVS you loving rule and are a great mariner

O7o7o7o7o7

O8 because 7 isn't enough

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I have at my disposal a team of experts who have painstakingly restored posts that were previously altered in some way. It was horrendously expensive but I think it was well worth the value.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Her name

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

McNally posted:

I have at my disposal a team of experts who have painstakingly restored posts that were previously altered in some way. It was horrendously expensive but I think it was well worth the value.

GOP congressers have convened a special investigation on this abhorrent waste of tax payer dollars.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

GOP congressers have convened a special investigation on this abhorrent waste of tax payer dollars.

Its paid for with the money from the SBP-DIC offset

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Goddamnit TwoFing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Well gently caress me the best goon mariner is in the US Navy.

Jesus gently caress TVS, just... wow.

That crash stop is, well, textbook. Christ my rear end in a top hat would have been stuck for a solid week after that.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Well gently caress me the best goon mariner is in the US Navy.

Jesus gently caress TVS, just... wow.

yeah that's for sure, goddam

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

I don’t think she’s ever posted anything even remotely embarrassing or negative so at least it didn’t happen to a turboshit poster.

gently caress, I guess I gotta be super on the ball

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

shovelbum posted:

gently caress, I guess I gotta be super on the ball

Shitposting is a way of life.

Be the poo poo.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Thank you all.

I might write up more of my thoughts in the next few days (I've also been told there are a few more articles from ProPublica expected to drop over the next few days/week) but for right now I just want to say that I feel that this article gets it right.

It's very in-depth, they contextualize what happened, and they don't sweep aside mistakes. Unlike a lot of other articles on the Fitz, I never feel like they're assigning blame.

Ultimately, it was the sailors in R-Div that did the heavy lifting. I just directed people.

My one regret? That perhaps my yelling at the CHENG, "Sir, that was the loving collision alarm. I'm setting general quarters!" may never be written down for posterity.

As for my near miss: I just did what I knew was right. The same thoughts went through my head as Sarah's. I didn't have time to call the CO, though thankfully he ran up quick and was on the bridge maybe within 20 seconds of us sounding 5 short and maneuvering. That night before I went down, I pulled my replacement OOD aside and told him that if he had any questions during the early portion of his watch to call me and I'd be up. I knew that I wasn't going to sleep right away, and if he needed the help, I'd be there. It absolutely rattled me.

But that's why I wasn't particularly fond of Geoff's articles from the Navy Times. I knew that he hadn't done a lot of extra research just because he used "he" when referencing the OOD of the Sasebo near miss.

Can't say I've done a lot of poo poo posting, but there are my original angry and shell shocked posts from the days and months following. Not the worst things, but they are there.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I hope you got at least an LoM for that.

Out of pure curiosity, did you have an SSM out during the casualty?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Valley Stared posted:

As for my near miss: I just did what I knew was right. The same thoughts went through my head as Sarah's. I didn't have time to call the CO, though thankfully he ran up quick and was on the bridge maybe within 20 seconds of us sounding 5 short and maneuvering. That night before I went down, I pulled my replacement OOD aside and told him that if he had any questions during the early portion of his watch to call me and I'd be up. I knew that I wasn't going to sleep right away, and if he needed the help, I'd be there. It absolutely rattled me.

It’s absolutely normal to be rattled; I had a fishing boat / migrant boat pull something similar on me in the Med (I went hard to port, cargo ships don’t slow down good) and I’m not kidding about not being able to poo poo for a week.

It’s been my experience that most crash stops are preceded by the OOW loving up and putting themselves in a bad situation. Usually, by the time you slam the bridge control back you’re just trying to mitigate damage.

But the way the article described it, that guy just popped out of a radar shadow under your face and you did the exact right thing. I’ve sailed with a fuckton of people who would have done the stupid, frozen up or anything... I’m not sure I would have pulled it off like you did myself. Seriously, textbook reaction, excellent maneuver, stuff of legend.

Like I told Two Fingers after reading the article, you know how when you read an incident report and you can’t help thinking “oh I would have done that that and this instead” or you just daydream about being the hero and saving the day by doing all the right thing? Well you pretty much did that, in my opinion. Stab calcs on the back of a notebook, Jesus...

I’m sure there are things you feel you could have done differently, but from where I stand, you pulled it off.

If it was a sea story, I wouldn’t believe it. That’s how loving impressive this poo poo is.

Edit: sorry, having a total fanboy moment. Never had this happen before.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 7, 2019

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

ded posted:

Oh man. My time out of the real navy is showing because Illegitimately do not remember what those acronyms stand for.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LoM = legion of merit. High level award.

Not sure what SSM is offhand, though. Seawater Service?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

ded posted:

If the Navy is anything like the Army, they probably gave her a letter of commendation because she deserves a pat on the head but let's not go nuts because it was literally her job to save the ship.

Maybe an achievement medal if they were feeling generous.

On the other hand, she's an officer and she was engaged in combat against Mighty Poseidon, so Silver Star.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

McNally posted:

If the Navy is anything like the Army, they probably gave her a letter of commendation because she deserves a pat on the head but let's not go nuts because it was literally her job to save the ship.

Maybe an achievement medal if they were feeling generous.

On the other hand, she's an officer and she was engaged in combat against Mighty Poseidon, so Silver Star/ Navy Cross

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

2nd tour divo standard type awards are NAM (Navy & Marine Corpse Achievement Medal) or COM (N&MC Commendation Medal) if exceptional. I think an MSM (meritorious service medal) would probably have been appropriate, but I bet DCA herself would have pushed more for the actual repair locker people to get the awards.

My hunch is that a lot of people got COMs for their work saving the ship.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

LoM = legion of merit. High level award.

Not sure what SSM is offhand, though. Seawater Service?

Ships service manual you loving nub bitch, sir.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Ships service manual you loving nub bitch, sir.

I'm still not sure what you're going on about. There were definitely tech manuals out and there's a full set of ship's drawings back there on various boards. I know those would have been used to work out the flooding calculations needed to balance the ship and to work out the free surface effect.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of anything called an SSM, though, and coming up blank. Is it a submarine term? Google isn't pulling anything up, either, which makes me think it's a nuke thing or an outdated term.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm still not sure what you're going on about. There were definitely tech manuals out and there's a full set of ship's drawings back there on various boards. I know those would have been used to work out the flooding calculations needed to balance the ship and to work out the free surface effect.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of anything called an SSM, though, and coming up blank. Is it a submarine term? Google isn't pulling anything up, either, which makes me think it's a nuke thing or an outdated term.

They were the green submarine publications with non-nuclear systems in them that people referenced for their dolphin quals. They also had procedures for various ship operations like running the diesel, ventilation lineups, etc etc. Getting them out for a casualty along with your casualty procedures was a first step of any drill process even though you rarely if ever referenced it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

They were the green submarine publications with non-nuclear systems in them that people referenced for their dolphin quals. They also had procedures for various ship operations like running the diesel, ventilation lineups, etc etc. Getting them out for a casualty along with your casualty procedures was a first step of any drill process even though you rarely if ever referenced it.

There are definitely tech manuals in central that cover every system on the ship. Those were definitely out because they have tables in them that are used for calculations the DCA has to perform in case she needs to flood a compartment for balance. Likewise there are multiple boards that have diagrams of every system on the ship that can be drawn on with grease pencil to track everything.

They just don't call it the SSM on small boys. Can't say for a carrier. That's why us surface types were scratching our heads.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You mean you don’t group all the normal systems into one poorly edited 48 volume grimoire?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Lot of dink nubs in this thread.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Dorstein posted:

Does anyone know much about becoming a "cyber" officer? I'm finishing a Computer Engineering degree, starting a master's in same, and always kinda wanted to fill out frequent flyer forms with "Commander".

This is a wordy answer because it's a complex situation within the Navy at the moment. Bottom line: your best bet is applying to become a Cyber Warfare Engineer, for now.

There's not really one specific community in the Navy that "does cyber" right now on the officer side. There are a lot of folks from several other communities (communications officers, cryptologists, intel weenies, etc) who have owned a piece of this pie for years. Some are writing code, some are running operations (some are doing both), some are planning operations. In addition to the folks I just mentioned, there is another another community called Cyber Warfare Engineers which, although it sounds cool, are basically just programmers on a 5-year timeline who are being either 1) forced out of the Navy after 5 years, or more recently, 2) being forced to transfer to one of the aforementioned communities to continue down some semblance of a career path.

If it doesn't sound like that's a very good long-term investment in talent and training, that's because it's not. As such, most of these guys are getting out at the 5-year mark and making serious cash as contractors, rather than continuing down the Navy career grind-path thereby squandering their experience.

For the last ~4-5 years, I've been part of planning efforts at the 3-star level (over the span of three 3-stars) to help turn the CWE community into a no-poo poo O1-O9 (Ensign to Vice Admiral) cyber-specific career path for the Navy. Every other service (sans Coast Guard) has one, but not the Navy.

Ultimately, it comes down to money and manning (as always). Presently, there are a handful of folks being invited to submit transfer packages into the CWE community from the other communities I mentioned in order to help flesh out a more robust, long-term, community (i.e. going from a couple dozen junior officers to about 200 people, up to O6 spread out over several fiscal years)

Personally, I declined the invite because the whole endeavor could flounder and I don't want to bone my career. I know, gently caress me, right? But I thought long and hard and decided not to let my career take it in the shorts when I wasn't confident that very senior leaders would see this thing through. We're due for another CNO and probably a new SECNAV who may squash this whole thing because ~*politics and priorities*~. That's all coming from one of the fucks planning this crap out...but I've seen little more than lipservice over the last 5 years.

To summarize: your best bet may be to apply to become a Cyber Warfare Engineer and hope that a couple years down the road, Big Navy has figured out the manning/money piece of this puzzle. It's less a puzzle and more of a "we have to convice other communities in the Navy to give us billets, because we can't just poo poo new ones out".

Real talk: I do not have high hopes that the current/next CNO/IFOR/N2N6 are going to pay real attention to "this cyber thing" until someone shuts off the power grid for the US east coast, and then they'll scramble to dig our briefs out of the trash. Oftentimes, the Navy likes to learn its lessons the absolute hardest way possible. *shrugs*

buttplug fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 7, 2019

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Many years ago our little coast guard cutter was steaming along with a navy group during a big show the flag patrol. We were at our top speed and blew a turbo which led to a small (but serious) bilge/engine room fire. Luckily it was the middle of the day, we caught it right away, and in the course of setting General Emergency and falling out someone had the forethought to radio the navy group commander basically "yo we're on fire, we're falling out of formation." It was a pretty short message.

One of the frigates from the other side of the group, turned basically broadside, and hooked up about as fast as I've ever seen a frigate go, falling in line right behind us. I looked back about 3 minutes into the casualty, maybe 5, and they had R&A teams dressed out on the deck ready to go.

At the time, given our run ins with the navy we joked that they might do more harm than good, but honestly if they were half as good as the DC crews on the Fitz sounded, we would have been in good hands. That's a little navy professionalism that sticks with me to this day. It almost makes me feel bad for stealing the jack off one of the ships during a port call...Almost...

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

buttplug posted:

Cyber words

I'm enlisted but in my dealings with the cyber community the Cyber warfare engineers seem to be the only ones that actually have a defined job and some job satisfaction.

The rest of the officers in the Cyber community seem poorly defined, underutilized and undertrained to do what they are asked to do while still being overtasked with administrative requirements.

Then their leadership shows up and asks them to do something impossible with the cyberspace tubes and everyone cries.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Many years ago our little coast guard cutter was steaming along with a navy group during a big show the flag patrol. We were at our top speed and blew a turbo which led to a small (but serious) bilge/engine room fire. Luckily it was the middle of the day, we caught it right away, and in the course of setting General Emergency and falling out someone had the forethought to radio the navy group commander basically "yo we're on fire, we're falling out of formation." It was a pretty short message.

One of the frigates from the other side of the group, turned basically broadside, and hooked up about as fast as I've ever seen a frigate go, falling in line right behind us. I looked back about 3 minutes into the casualty, maybe 5, and they had R&A teams dressed out on the deck ready to go.

At the time, given our run ins with the navy we joked that they might do more harm than good, but honestly if they were half as good as the DC crews on the Fitz sounded, we would have been in good hands. That's a little navy professionalism that sticks with me to this day. It almost makes me feel bad for stealing the jack off one of the ships during a port call...Almost...

Post-Cole or pre-Cole? The Navy has always taken firefighting at sea seriously, but much, much moreso after the Cole bombing. Which, again harks back to my point above about how we tend to learn a lot of lessons the hard way (through blood).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Chief Cosby was moved into general population. Fair winds and following seas chief o7