Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

picture too

New thread title please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The people demanded more Monoma, and they will be rewarded

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I suppose my "Monoma goes too far, Shinso takes his place in the Hero course" theory was overreaching, this is a pretty satisfactory resolution anyway. Glad there's some payoff for bringing Shinso back and I look forward to seeing more of him. Showcasing the mysteries of One-For-All is probably a bigger deal for the arc, and I'm interested to see what Monoma is supposed to do with Eri's quirk - it seems like an obvious thing they'd try, but I'd be surprised if it actually turns out to be that easy.

Teasing Uraraka is fun, yelling about the PTA is fun, protesting the biased Vlad King is fun, Mineta being prosecuted for his many crimes is fun, this chapter was fun.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Hopefully Monoma will be able to keep his crazed rants to a minimum while he's around Eri, you don't want to freak her out. Or maybe she'll just find them funny.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Was that Ashido doing the karate kid crane kick there for a panel?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Make Mina The Main Character 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Justin_Brett posted:

What if they put Monoma in 1-A? What would he do?

It would be 2-A.

Arist posted:

A class shakeup would be a terrible idea.

Why? It would be pretty cool in my opinion.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 7, 2019

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm not sure about terrible, but it's not exactly a good idea either. Replacing the unimportant background kids who do nothing with other, different unimportant background kids who do nothing is pretty pointless, if anything.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man.... Imagine losing Ojiro...

This was fun. Some good reaction panels and I like how they give credit to Uraraka for being freaking amazing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This series is already having glaring issues with giving anyone outside of the main cast any kind of screentime. I highly doubt we're going to see much of the other class because of this, which also probably means that most if not all of the "main" 1-A characters will stay together. At best, the character dynamics won't meaningfully change because you're still going to have probably at least four of Deku, Uraraka, Iida, Bakugo, and Todoroki in the class. At worst, you're going to switch out characters who Horikoshi has already proven he doesn't really know how to write for like Momo, before she's gotten a chance to do much of anything, or thread favorites like Mina. And you're shaking up the cast for... what purpose? We know nothing about the chucklefucks in 1-B. Why not just do something with the characters who are already there instead?

We're not going to split much time between the two classes. The most they'll do with that is if like Bakugo or Todoroki get put in the other class and we occasionally check in on them, which I still kind of doubt. But let's assume it is a possibility that Horikoshi might make more drastic changes. Either they get split in a way that underlines that the main cast are the only people who matter by keeping most or all of them in the same class, defeating the purpose of a shakeup in the first place, or they do get split more evenly and randomly, in which case, congratulations, the size of the immediate supporting cast has just doubled in a series that was already drowning under the weight of its own cast bloat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shinso will join the cast in 2-A.

Deku will be sent to the support course because Aizawa just can't get his deal.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Agronox posted:

Was that Ashido doing the karate kid crane kick there for a panel?

She is very powerful.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rhonne posted:

She is very powerful.

kidcoelacanth posted:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Once again JB was overall better but Mangastream handled a few panels a lot better. I think "dud" was a better interpretation of Monoma's rant at the end than "that".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Japanese schools normally shuffle classes between years but really I wouldn't mess with it if we're going to actually get their second year at all- but I'm actually kinda doubting we'll get 2nd year covered in any fashion at all. I'm betting money on (and deeply, deeply, deeply dreading with every fiber of my being) the standard 2nd year timeskip.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hm...using Monoma as a guinea pig to test the limits of Eri's Quirk seems like a good idea

There's a hard time limit, and Aizawa's also there to shut it down if it gets out of control

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So he can rewind his own quirk time window?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is it a standard trope of manga to skip second year and go straight to third?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arist posted:

This series is already having glaring issues with giving anyone outside of the main cast any kind of screentime. I highly doubt we're going to see much of the other class because of this, which also probably means that most if not all of the "main" 1-A characters will stay together. At best, the character dynamics won't meaningfully change because you're still going to have probably at least four of Deku, Uraraka, Iida, Bakugo, and Todoroki in the class. At worst, you're going to switch out characters who Horikoshi has already proven he doesn't really know how to write for like Momo, before she's gotten a chance to do much of anything, or thread favorites like Mina. And you're shaking up the cast for... what purpose? We know nothing about the chucklefucks in 1-B. Why not just do something with the characters who are already there instead?

We're not going to split much time between the two classes. The most they'll do with that is if like Bakugo or Todoroki get put in the other class and we occasionally check in on them, which I still kind of doubt. But let's assume it is a possibility that Horikoshi might make more drastic changes. Either they get split in a way that underlines that the main cast are the only people who matter by keeping most or all of them in the same class, defeating the purpose of a shakeup in the first place, or they do get split more evenly and randomly, in which case, congratulations, the size of the immediate supporting cast has just doubled in a series that was already drowning under the weight of its own cast bloat.

I could see a couple of the characters who never get any attention at all(sugarman, my good friend animal boy, possibly ojiro/hagakure) getting shuffled to the other class to make room for Shinso and maybe a couple of B class characters who Horikoshi seems much more interested in writing stuff for.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Monoma, Kendou, and maybe Tetsu are the only Class B students I can think of with like, anything to them? Most of the B students would have to have personalities derived for them out of pretty much nothing.

Also I'm already sick of Monoma's poo poo, there's like one joke to his character. People keep saying it would be funny for him to join Class A and immediately switch loyalties, but would it really? That would probably wear out its welcome after a single chapter, and then you're stuck with a dude more aggressively unpleasant than even Bakugo who also yells more.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Arist posted:

Also I'm already sick of Monoma's poo poo

:same:

I skipped over all his lines in this chapter and seemed to miss nothing.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Arist posted:

Monoma, Kendou, and maybe Tetsu are the only Class B students I can think of with like, anything to them? Most of the B students would have to have personalities derived for them out of pretty much nothing.

Also I'm already sick of Monoma's poo poo, there's like one joke to his character. People keep saying it would be funny for him to join Class A and immediately switch loyalties, but would it really? That would probably wear out its welcome after a single chapter, and then you're stuck with a dude more aggressively unpleasant than even Bakugo who also yells more.

Depends on if he has any ideas for expanding on Monoma's character/arc really. I mean I would have thought much the same about Aoyama, but there's enough hints that he's got something potentially interesting going on there.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Eri is gonna rewind Monoma to before he was born so that he's not in this manga anymore

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is it a standard trope of manga to skip second year and go straight to third?
Generally yeah, many school-focused manga have a tendency to start in first-year, then skip straight over the second year.

Like...can you imagine us doing ANOTHER sports festival? No way we're messing with that. The story even specifically mentions that a lot of the things that Class 1-A and 1-B have done in regards to their classwork/professional progression has been stuff that 2nd years do because UA is desperately trying to get them up to speed to make sure they can defend themselves in the event the Villain Alliance makes another go at them.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The compromise would be a short Sol Arc in the second year I think

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The heck is a Sol Arc?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

slice of life i assume

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly the slice of life stuff is where this comic shines.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

slice of life is really good in general

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It works in this series when Hori has time to dedicate to it because the majority of the main cast have good designs, established base personalities, and he can draw them being really expressive. He seems to take a lot of care with the characters even when they're doing stuff in the background of scenes when he has the time to do so- even thinking of stuff like who would hang out with who during downtime.

The little details add up to the point that some characters who don't have much screentime still have something of a personality or physical/vocal ticks that are recognizable.

Edit: like a fun onepanel is Tokoyami and Kuroki (vantablack) talking about Midoriya's Black Whips because they both obviously think it's super cool.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 8, 2019

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Wonder who their home room teachers will be for the second year.

I’d love to see a chapter with eraser and vlad sittng down with the second year teachers and diviying up the 41 students shirts vs skin style. Vlad and eraser being there to suggest who would work well together and who should be separated as well as their strengths and weaknesses. Would be great to see Vlad get heated trying to convince the teachers why his students are stronger (should be chosen earlier) then Eraser’s.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the second year is stated to be coming soon. I think we are around the middle of November correct. Second year starts in February.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

All the 1-A kids end up in class 2-B and all the 1-B kids will be in 2-A.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rhonne posted:

All the 1-A kids end up in class 2-B and all the 1-B kids will be in 2-A.
Except for Mineta, who will fall out a window under mysterious circumstances and never be seen again

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Second year starts in February.

Japanese school years end in March and start in April.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

kidcoelacanth posted:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

mineta will have a growth spurt and suddenly become a ladykiller otome game capture target

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Stairmaster posted:

mineta will have a growth spurt and suddenly become a ladykiller otome game capture target

And he will still wear that diaper in his costume.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Stairmaster posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m the Zodiac Killer symbol