Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

9 Chickweed Lane I don't think I've ever posted an uglier strip than this.

I can't even begin to describe all the ways I loving hate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
What is the purpose of that GANfield site/link?

Modesty Blaise

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

idonotlikepeas posted:

This one is interesting, because it's strictly better without the caption. The absurdity of the situation already communicates the joke, and by explaining it along the bottom the artist let the air out of it.

It's still not good, but it's better.

I've noticed that taking the captions off of the Closer to Home comics amplifies the Far Side resemblance even more, I was tempted to pull the captions off of the rest of them but for posting's sake I'll leave them attached.

It's not a work day so I won't post one from the book, but searching for the origins of the comic I found a site with a very angry writeup on what the author hates most about the comic:

A Very Bad Comic Strip: John McPherson’s Close To Home

One thing to note is how the art has changed over time. The author gives a few examples of duplicate comics... look at these two:

What the hell is going on with that dude's entire body?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Oh noooooooo :ohdear:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I have a similar painting saved from another Spider man comic. It's got a rich canon.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 7, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thought this also might be of interest

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 7, 2019

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Luxrage posted:

What the hell is going on with that dude's entire body?

McPherson is a dogshit horrible artist.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Discendo Vox posted:

Thought this also might be of interest

I was hoping someone would do that

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Luxrage posted:

I've noticed that taking the captions off of the Closer to Home comics amplifies the Far Side resemblance even more, I was tempted to pull the captions off of the rest of them but for posting's sake I'll leave them attached.

Pulling the captions definitely makes some of them feel a lot like Far Side, but I'm also getting a lot of Ballard Street weirdness off some of them.

And holy hell, that guy is angry about newspaper comic strips.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

amishjosh posted:

Aren't we all?

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

beautiful work

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If I had never seen this strip before I could not tell you which was the newer one. They're both so terrible, but like, the people got less visually interesting and their facial expressions more bland. The perspective got slightly better as long as you ignore the garage interior and the angle of the roof.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what is that yard sale sign even hanging on

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Selachian posted:

Aren't we all?

Ii mean I'm pretty angry at FrumpleOrz because what did we ever do to you that deserves posting 9CL

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Andy Capp

December 17, 1957

Heathcliff Old and New

Ballard Street

Outbursts of Everett True

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

amishjosh posted:

How long have you been reading these threads?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set reflects on the invisible hand of the free market.

Working Daze faces off.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix fails upwards.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

StrixNebulosa posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

No man should receive a dollar unless that dollar has been fairly earned. Every dollar received should represent a dollar’s worth of service rendered — not gambling in stocks, but service rendered. The really big fortune, the swollen fortune, by the mere fact of its size acquires qualities which differentiate it in kind as well as in degree from what is possessed by men of relatively small means. Therefore, I believe in a graduated income tax on big fortunes, and in another tax which is far more easily collected and far more effective — a graduated inheritance tax on big fortunes, properly safeguarded against evasion, and increasing rapidly in amount with the size of the estate.

The people of the United States suffer from periodical financial panics to a degree substantially unknown to the other nations, which approach us in financial strength. There is no reason why we should suffer what they escape. It is of profound importance that our financial system should be promptly investigated, and so thoroughly and effectively revised as to make it certain that hereafter our currency will no longer fail at critical times to meet our needs.

-Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Heathcliff Old and New

Totally did not read that as a rear leg on first pass

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix fails upwards.

Has anyone discussed the possibility that Bolling reads the thread?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ghostlight posted:

what is that yard sale sign even hanging on

The fourth wall.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Ghostlight posted:

No man should receive a dollar unless that dollar has been fairly earned. Every dollar received should represent a dollar’s worth of service rendered — not gambling in stocks, but service rendered. The really big fortune, the swollen fortune, by the mere fact of its size acquires qualities which differentiate it in kind as well as in degree from what is possessed by men of relatively small means. Therefore, I believe in a graduated income tax on big fortunes, and in another tax which is far more easily collected and far more effective — a graduated inheritance tax on big fortunes, properly safeguarded against evasion, and increasing rapidly in amount with the size of the estate.

The people of the United States suffer from periodical financial panics to a degree substantially unknown to the other nations, which approach us in financial strength. There is no reason why we should suffer what they escape. It is of profound importance that our financial system should be promptly investigated, and so thoroughly and effectively revised as to make it certain that hereafter our currency will no longer fail at critical times to meet our needs.

-Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

I keep saying, we need to dig that man up. Dude was alright.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

This is garbage. Read the one Tiggum posted instead.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

FrumpleOrz posted:

Sherman's Lagoon

Pro-tip: imagine the lobster's lines being said by Danny DeVito.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (September 22, 1931)

Peanuts (February 10, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean presents "Oh God, Are We Seriously Heading In This Direction?"

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (January 7-9, 1932)

Thimble Theater, starring Popeye The Ichthyophobe. (September 3, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck/The Weather (June 28-30, 1923)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Has anyone discussed the possibility that Bolling reads the thread?

No, because these are reruns from several years ago, before this thread started posting those old comics. Bolling is just an educated guy who knows a lot about comics history. I died a little on the inside reading another BSS thread and seeing that people who claimed to know a lot about comics history had apparently never heard of Robert Crumb.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I keep saying, we need to dig that man up. Dude was alright.

That's what compromise candidates used to look like in this country.

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Pro-tip: imagine the lobster's lines being said by Danny DeVito.

Holy crap, Sherman's Lagoon is like instantly on my top 10 now. Probably just number 10, but still.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I considered using a less oblique reference but I didn't want to give anybody the wrong idea.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet
April 23rd, 2006

April 30th, 2006

May 1st, 2006

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

C'mon Viivi, focus. There's an electric outlet by every row of seats on all public transit in Finland.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

London, Paris, Denmark.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

London, Paris, Denmark.

:mad:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
You've got a rival for that pencil case, bud.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

Ben

The Duplex

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Garfield

Judge Parker

Luann

Reply All

Ziggy

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
the IRS never calls you

Ziggy is lucky his parrot saved him from that phone scam

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tiggum posted:

Judge Parker

Billions? I think the "fame" is getting to you Marie.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 17, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 17, 1997)

oh, celebrity cameos in comic strips, never change

Garfield Classic (July 17, 1987)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

in this morning's installment of Cahiers du GoComics, Abridged, the Arlo and Janis commentariat was advised yesterday to smoke weed for better fuckin':