Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

Storyteller was one of the best options of its time and it's still a solid system today as long as you keep to its strong points

This is kind of like saying "D&D is fine as long as you keep crawling dungeons"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Halloween Jack posted:

D20 GURPS Vampire: the Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
GURPS Monte Cook's World of Darkness?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

I'm sad I only have a 2nd edition copy without the cthulhu guys. But my copy I found at a garage sale and the original owner colored in a ton of the artwork with crayons, so it's still awesome.

Also old-school Erol Otus art rules.

Alma Mater, I still have my copy that I got at GenCon three minutes before it was banned.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Storyteller was one of the best options of its time and it's still a solid system today as long as you keep to its strong points
Storyteller came out in the midst of an industry-wide backlash against excessive crunch which, as is so often the case with backlashes, pushed the pendulum way too far back the other way, to the point where actually paying attention to game mechanics at all was considered the mark of a gross insophisticate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Storyteller was okay. Unisystem was okay. Silhouette was tolerable. LUG's ICON was less so. They were all just more-or-less okay.

Anyway, I never could understand why Torg was such a metaplot-dense mess. There's nothing about it that requires that. The cosms and their High Lords are obviously video game stages for you to beat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well, yeah

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Storyteller was okay. Unisystem was okay. Silhouette was tolerable. LUG's ICON was less so. They were all just more-or-less okay.

Anyway, I never could understand why Torg was such a metaplot-dense mess. There's nothing about it that requires that. The cosms and their High Lords are obviously video game stages for you to beat.
I think it's because someone at WEG was very, very keen on metaplots and really wanted to make them work. Isn't Torg the one where they had an actual setup where you sent the results of your home game to WEG and they allegedly took that into account in working out how the metaplot progressed? I'm fuzzy on that.

I do distinctly remember that they thought that Paranoia, of all games, would benefit from a metaplot. That was painful.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well, which D&D, though? A lot of D&D seems barely adequate for dungeon crawling anymore (esp. at low level... and prob also at high levels... uhhh)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

dwarf74 posted:

Alright so Arcana Evolved... I love and hate it.

On the good side, it's unusual and gonzo, usually in interesting ways. Monte Cook is good at worldbuilding, and he does a solid job here. The classes and races are (mostly) interesting, and he does some neat twists on d20 like racial levels.

On the bad side, it's a Monte Cook game.

Class balance is all over the loving place. Oathsworn, Mageblades, and Witches are all terrible. On the other hand, Greenbonds and Wizards Magisters are both extremely flexible and incredibly powerful - they set a selection of spells for the day, then freely cast among those spells (including going up or down levels with extra/bonus slots). In theory there are less save-or-die spells, but there's still plenty of save-or-suck.

And if that's not enough, feats let you add templates to spells. Which can do things like add stun for a few rounds. For free. On that fireball you cast. Or, like, change the saving throw to use the target's Intelligence modifier instead of the normal one. And so on.

So yeah. I loved it but could never go back.

Also on the good side are the Unfettered (swashbuckling fighters), Warmains (heavy tank fighters), Champions (sort of like Paladins, but for a cause, not necessarily a religion), and Totem Warriors (animal aspected fighters). The Ritual Warrior is kind of boring though.

Still and always on the bad side are Oathsworn. They just suck.

The two 'full-casters' (Greenbonds and Magisters) are amazing, but even the 'half-casters' (Akashics, Mageblades, Runethanes, Witches) can do the braiding of spells like the fulls can, and can use feats (and AU gives out a lot of Bonus Class feats) to access the same kinds of high power spells.

Species abilities are a thing so you can take levels in Giant or Verrik or Loresong Faen and get access to buffs.

I've run multiple campaigns of it and I think it's great, but I also have the scarlet 'G' (for grognard) as my avatar so ehhhh?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

If you're in a secure facility those computers are wildly secure. Cds / dvds only, i dont even think the computers have functional usbs.

Yea, but SR4A screwed the pooch by saying that super duper cellphones are now the only personal computers and they are always wireless. So airgapping isn’t an option any more and no matter how secure the server, someone has the key to connect to it in their pocket.

Then again “if all this new stuff is hackable why don’t they just not use it” is a classic problem in cyber, consumer tech might not prioritise security but corps sure as hell do. And PCs (ask about the group Sammy who carried a loving Filofax)

hyphz fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 7, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

hyphz posted:

Yea, but SR4A screwed the pooch by saying that super duper cellphones are now the only personal computers and they are always wireless. So airgapping isn’t an option any more and no matter how secure the server, someone has the key to connect to it in their pocket

I remember the hacker sourcebook specifically talking about airgapping though

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
SR4 made some good and interesting advancements, but people were really really confused about what you can and can't hack, and what you can and can't actually do after you hack something.

Like, the classic problem was "So someone can hack my cyberarm and make me shoot myself in the face?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Antivehicular posted:

I have a perverse love for GURPS WoD despite, or perhaps because, of how dumb the whole concept is. One day I'll play one of those drat things.

As somebody that got into WoD because of GURPS Vampire...

... it's easily one of the worst GURPS books simply on the discipline conversion. 48 points to spend 10 fatigue (or 5 BP) to gain 2 extra attacks per turn for 6 hours?

The others aren't much better.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

potatocubed posted:

2d20 2 furious

I bet you could totally adapt Modiphius' 2d20 system to a high-social-drama drive-cars & fights game. It's intended as a cinematic action-oriented system to start with.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Like, the classic problem was "So someone can hack my cyberarm and make me shoot myself in the face?"

That depends, do you have bluetooth enabled?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

I bet you could totally adapt Modiphius' 2d20 system to a high-social-drama drive-cars & fights game. It's intended as a cinematic action-oriented system to start with.

Their new John Carter game is pretty fantastic.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Pollyanna posted:

d20d20

e: d202d

My Hat of D02 KNOW NO LIMIT D20

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

JohnnyCanuck posted:

My Hat of D02 KNOW NO LIMIT D20
RPG.net deep cut, drat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
D20 Grontar: The Frutang

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Trait Ziggurat D20

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the topic of D20 era books, while the system itself is one I wouldn't probably run these days(not counting systems that are only mildly connected to it like Mutants & Masterminds or most older OSR systems), there definitely were quite a few setting ideas from that era that would be worth revisiting in better rules systems, Goodman Games had some good examples of that, would love to run a DragonMech or Dinosaur Planet: Broncosaurus Rex campaign some day

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Why would you want to play a game that's mostly Confederate apologism with terrible, boring mechanics that don't even do anything interesting with D20? For Christ's sake, buy the new Space 1889. It even has dinosaurs.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
There were some interesting ones like Dark Inheritance, Dragonmech, Spycraft 1.0, and Weird War II

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Why would you want to play a game that's mostly Confederate apologism with terrible, boring mechanics that don't even do anything interesting with D20? For Christ's sake, buy the new Space 1889. It even has dinosaurs.

Well I did say I'd only be using the settings for the two games I mentioned not the mechanics, and with the one you're mentioning I'd be doing some heavy rewriting of the setting to get rid of the Confederate stuff(I'd probably be changing up a lot of things on the human side of the setting anyways)

Also every time I've tried getting into Space 1889 I always bounce off it because they somehow make a really cool setting concept really boring in execution

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Imagine 4d20s on the edge of a cliff. The first skill check the GM calls for means you take the first 1d20 and roll it then take the result and leave it at the back of the line and the next d20 takes its old place...

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

drrockso20 posted:

Well I did say I'd only be using the settings for the two games I mentioned not the mechanics, and with the one you're mentioning I'd be doing some heavy rewriting of the setting to get rid of the Confederate stuff(I'd probably be changing up a lot of things on the human side of the setting anyways)

Also every time I've tried getting into Space 1889 I always bounce off it because they somehow make a really cool setting concept really boring in execution

There's more about confederates than there is about dinosaurs in that trash fire. If you cleaned up the politics you'd be left with nothing but dumb scifi. The setting is basically a Georgia eight times the size of Jupiter and the dinosaurs are made exactly intelligent enough to make it clear that the good guys are slavers again.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

drrockso20 posted:

theironjef posted:

There's more about confederates than there is about dinosaurs in that trash fire. If you cleaned up the politics you'd be left with nothing but dumb scifi. The setting is basically a Georgia eight times the size of Jupiter and the dinosaurs are made exactly intelligent enough to make it clear that the good guys are slavers again.

I posted it in the FATAL & Friends thread, but Goodman Games tried to update the setting to DCC back in 2017, called Dinosaur Crawl Classics. But nothing came of it since. My personal suspicions are that the Charlottesville Rally shown to the wider public exactly the kinds of people who rally to that flag.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/223988/Goodman-Games-Gen-Con-2017-Program-Guide

http://goodman-games.com/event/dinosaur-crawl-classics/

http://goodman-games.com/event/dinosaur-crawl-classics-2/

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2017/10/06/designers-diary-dinosaur-crawl-classics/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

hyphz posted:

Yea, but SR4A screwed the pooch by saying that super duper cellphones are now the only personal computers and they are always wireless. So airgapping isn’t an option any more and no matter how secure the server, someone has the key to connect to it in their pocket.

Then again “if all this new stuff is hackable why don’t they just not use it” is a classic problem in cyber, consumer tech might not prioritise security but corps sure as hell do. And PCs (ask about the group Sammy who carried a loving Filofax)

SR5 doubled down on the wireless too, making all consumer goods including military grade firearms and cyberware brick able by anyone with a deck, wirelessly.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Libertad! posted:

I posted it in the FATAL & Friends thread, but Goodman Games tried to update the setting to DCC back in 2017, called Dinosaur Crawl Classics. But nothing came of it since. My personal suspicions are that the Charlottesville Rally shown to the wider public exactly the kinds of people who rally to that flag.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/223988/Goodman-Games-Gen-Con-2017-Program-Guide

http://goodman-games.com/event/dinosaur-crawl-classics/

http://goodman-games.com/event/dinosaur-crawl-classics-2/

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2017/10/06/designers-diary-dinosaur-crawl-classics/

The amount of poo poo you'd have to strip out of that to make it defensible has to outweigh the value of using the brand. Like, the only people that would want that brand name already know what's in there, and if you take out all the casual Lost Cause poo poo and the turning of the Yankees to a ratlike machine-addled lumpenproletariat then the people that would actually want the game still would just be mad.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Ive never heard of dinosaur planet. How do you shoehorn in the confederacy and where can I read about this trainwreck

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Ive never heard of dinosaur planet. How do you shoehorn in the confederacy and where can I read about this trainwreck
System Mastery reviewed this mess three years ago if you're fine with the audio version. (SM's Jef is theironjef on these forums.)

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Halloween Jack posted:

SR4 made some good and interesting advancements, but people were really really confused about what you can and can't hack, and what you can and can't actually do after you hack something.

Or "if I hack their wireless reflexes, can I make them a puppet and/or just shut down their nervous system?"

5th edition is still a clunky mess, but at least they got that there needed to be an incentive to make risking hacking worthwhile. The early 4 flamewars often seemed to boil down to "why the gently caress would I ever turn this on?" with the response usually being "look at all the people in real life who are morons about security". Which, while true, isn't exactly a great argument when you play fictional shadow operatives in a world with dragons and magic.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Broncosaurus Rex is staggeringly awful. Your PC heritage options are either The Absolute Protagonist Goodboy Southerners Who Love Nature And Are Good Peaceful People Who Liberate Slaves Because It's The Right Thing To Do, the Cowardly And Wretched Sinister Scheming Technocratic Northerners Who Have Strong Antisemitic Undertones, the Everyone Else Unaligned With North Or South From Earth Who Are Just Space Roma Now In Hive Ships and Vaguely Native American Complete Outsider Randos. You can take a feat that lets you Rebel Yell for attack bonuses if you're a Confederate and there's no analogue to the others. You can take a feat to Do Sex Awesomely if you're Confederate and nobody else can take this. Also the Confederates have occupied the dinoplanet and everyone else is playing catchup to get there so it's mostly just a game about exploring Space Georgia and oppressing the native life so you can skin them to make boots because they may be sapient but you want new boots.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Uhhh a game about being a space hillbilly dinosaur hunter sounds pretty cool actually?

E: Did this predate Starcraft's space hillbillies

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Plutonis posted:

Uhhh a game about being a space hillbilly dinosaur hunter sounds pretty cool actually?

Being able to be a space hillbilly dinosaur hunter would be a dramatic step up, because you could shoot at the southern revenuers and drink moonshine from your moon still.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

oh boy, sex feats, the mark of a quality d20 product

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Redneck Revolt, but in space

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'll admit I actually hadn't read through my copies of the Broncosaurus Rex books as anything beyond the most cursory glances in years, so I guess I had forgotten how baked into it the Confederate stuff was, I still think the core concept of Space Cowboys on a Planet of Dinosaurs(and other prehistoric critters) is a good one, but yeah it probably would be better to start mostly from scratch I guess

I'll still stand by DragonMech and most of Goodman Games other products though

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Plutonis posted:

E: Did this predate Starcraft's space hillbillies

You're not playing hillbillies. You're playing plantation owners. Noble heroic men who set for a spell on rocking chairs and drink peach tea before saddling up to go murder natives and enslave intelligent dinosaurs, even though your lineage is descending from a South than ended slavery in like 1890 because "it was the right and noble thing to do." No mention, weirdly, of how the Confederate constitution forbid even discussing the outlawing of slavery.

Don't forget that in addition to the good at sex feat, you could also take artifacts of the Confederacy for your starting magic gear. The blessed pistol of Nathan Bedford Forrest? Obviously.

drrockso20 posted:

I'll admit I actually hadn't read through my copies of the Broncosaurus Rex books as anything beyond the most cursory glances in years, so I guess I had forgotten how baked into it the Confederate stuff was, I still think the core concept of Space Cowboys on a Planet of Dinosaurs(and other prehistoric critters) is a good one, but yeah it probably would be better to start mostly from scratch I guess

Honestly the worst part might have been the complete lack of cowboys. Like, you see that name and your first thought is "Oh sweet, it's gonna be a space showdown at the OK Stardock." But of course, it's not, because everyone is rich and genteel and they're all landowners already. No one is a cowboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

theironjef posted:

You're not playing hillbillies. You're playing plantation owners. Noble heroic men who set for a spell on rocking chairs and drink peach tea before saddling up to go murder natives and enslave intelligent dinosaurs, even though your lineage is descending from a South than ended slavery in like 1890 because "it was the right and noble thing to do." No mention, weirdly, of how the Confederate constitution forbid even discussing the outlawing of slavery.

Don't forget that in addition to the good at sex feat, you could also take artifacts of the Confederacy for your starting magic gear. The blessed pistol of Nathan Bedford Forrest? Obviously.

Honestly the worst part might have been the complete lack of cowboys. Like, you see that name and your first thought is "Oh sweet, it's gonna be a space showdown at the OK Stardock." But of course, it's not, because everyone is rich and genteel and they're all landowners already. No one is a cowboy.

Lol. Is there a magic white hood for wizards?