Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Al ! posted:

looking forward to your wikihow article

I'd loving love to get a job drawing pictures for wikihow, please pay me to make garbage nonsense pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

They pay someone for those?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

a hole-y ghost posted:

Thorsby fanart :wth: ah man I need to get around to doing some sometime, his comics are absolutely mad

He's one of the few artists that I like where the absolute best quality in his work is how his enthusiasm and love for it shines through. I will take passionate mspaint comics over soulless but technically impeccable work any day.

Fukken niiiiiiice. Is this .. did any of them actually wear glasses? Because it's both great and I can't remember if that's a thing that happened in Star Trek.

Anyway I've knocked out the last char sketches.

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

lofi posted:

They pay someone for those?

someone told me a long time ago (so i might be misremembering) that they have a style guide and they use freelancers to work with it

boy what i wouldn't do to get my hands on that style guide

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Anyway I've knocked out the last char sketches.

Something I've noticed is that when you're drawing different expressions, the face shape doesn't move - for smiling/grinning in particular, it might be worth looking into how the cheeks raise, and how the facial outline changes.

I'd also suggest trying some more full-body poses with each character, if you can pin down their body language (agressive, dainty, etc) you'll be able to show their character very effectively through that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Fukken niiiiiiice. Is this .. did any of them actually wear glasses? Because it's both great and I can't remember if that's a thing that happened in Star Trek.

thank you and yes, though it's a beta canon character because that's Just How Far we're trekkin

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

testin out a photoshop brush i made

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:haw:

:haw:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

Something I've noticed is that when you're drawing different expressions, the face shape doesn't move - for smiling/grinning in particular, it might be worth looking into how the cheeks raise, and how the facial outline changes.

I'd also suggest trying some more full-body poses with each character, if you can pin down their body language (agressive, dainty, etc) you'll be able to show their character very effectively through that.

The face shape not moving is not a bug, it's feature! Here I forgot that I didn't post this thing I made before I started even on the first character design and maybe I should've 'cause this would be obvious otherwise:

I'm designing them as game characters - think a visual novel game like Phoenix Wright. The lazy cut & paste faces are there to show me how many easy expressions I can knock out without having to draw more angles or poses. I'll have to get some head tilts and pose changes done, but I'm trying to keep 'em to a minimum. You're right in that they'll need more defined body language, but I've at least got my starting points jotted down before I start adding meat to the characters. This is also the reason I didn't make the default poses full-body ones: they've all got the cutoff at the waist. Who needs legs anyway.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Oh, I'd blanked that you were designing for a game, that makes much more sense then! :downs:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Hey. I somehow stopped wanting to draw for an entire month. I kept thinking I should, but then it just never happened until today.

Here's to fixing my motivation!

Also, crayon, I saw your encroachment on My Original Style, Do Not Steel. Your infraction has been noted! :catstare:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You too, huh? I blame the loving sun for shirking its duties. There's probably a cool german word for the longing for a bit of good sun-warmth. I am desperate to just sit somewhere outside in the warm and draw something.

I am really in the wrong loving country.

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
ok i guess winter SAD must be a thing because besides a couple of manic episodes i've been barely been able to eek out anything since january, i mostly just stab at my tablet for a while hoping some line will catch my fancy, give up and go play video games

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Al ! posted:

ok i guess winter SAD must be a thing because besides a couple of manic episodes i've been barely been able to eek out anything since january, i mostly just stab at my tablet for a while hoping some line will catch my fancy, give up and go play video games
Oh, it's definitely a thing. You can get lights to help with that (especially during the nighttime).

e: vvv I love it... you manage to make something dead and dark look so alive with just a little movement :allears:

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 7, 2019

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
i was able to push past it by concentrating on trying to draw my angst, turned out super dark

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

gently caress yo eyeballs.

e:
You draw my cat idiot!

lofi fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 7, 2019

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Not sure if I had the January sads, since I was doing ok productivity and mood-wise in general.

Either way, here's another quick and rough sketch, this time of Link, since I like playing as her in Smash Ultimate.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Al ! posted:

i was able to push past it by concentrating on trying to draw my angst, turned out super dark

:swoon: I love the soft glimmers of fireflies! It feels super atmospheric.

lofi posted:

This is cool af!

I've been taking a weekly academic life-drawing class! 24 hour pose (8 weeks, 3 hour sessions)!! We're a little over half way. I'm drawing on Ingres paper, which has a SECRET GRID slightly debossed in it. The first couple sessions were taking measurements and plotting everything out, which the grid made waaaaay easier. The paper can't hold a ton of value though, so I can't capture as much detail as I can see but it's been forcing me to simplify which is a fun puzzle. The model is incredible. Vine and compressed charcoal, black Verithin & Col-erase pencils, stumps, and an eraser pencil.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

drat that looks well good! What size is it? I can't imagine doing a 24h pose, I've done an 8h still life and that near drove me insane.

Also, your model has amazing hair.

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
i really liked the way you captured the model's half-lidded expression

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

lofi posted:

drat that looks well good! What size is it? I can't imagine doing a 24h pose, I've done an 8h still life and that near drove me insane.

Also, your model has amazing hair.

Thanks! The paper is 19” x 25”, so the figure is probably like 22” tall. There’s demos and instruction mixed in there! The process has been a lot like life painting, except way more relaxing because I’m not constantly struggling with the medium (...someday I’ll conquer oils) and we have twice as much time. I feel you though, in most life drawing sessions I start getting bored once we hit 20+mins!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi posted:

e:

You draw my cat idiot!

:o It really is your cat, haha! Love how relaxed he/she is just chillin on the couch with you.
I also dig the colors you used for the skull.

Crocobile posted:

I've been taking a weekly academic life-drawing class! 24 hour pose (8 weeks, 3 hour sessions)!! We're a little over half way. I'm drawing on Ingres paper, which has a SECRET GRID slightly debossed in it. The first couple sessions were taking measurements and plotting everything out, which the grid made waaaaay easier. The paper can't hold a ton of value though, so I can't capture as much detail as I can see but it's been forcing me to simplify which is a fun puzzle. The model is incredible. Vine and compressed charcoal, black Verithin & Col-erase pencils, stumps, and an eraser pencil.

Nice lifedrawing! Looking really great so far. I've never gone beyond a 8 hour pose I think. I'm not sure if I would be able to keep my focus for a 24 hour pose.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I remembered the cream of the crop video and had to draw it again.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Couldn't get anything real done tonight.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

so close

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

You too, huh? I blame the loving sun for shirking its duties. There's probably a cool german word for the longing for a bit of good sun-warmth. I am desperate to just sit somewhere outside in the warm and draw something.

I am really in the wrong loving country.

Al ! posted:

Winter SAD is real, and strong, and my friend a visitor who shows up unannounced and overstays their welcome every year. What country you in, lofi? Because I'm in Finland and I can't remember what sunlight looks like.

I had to stop myself from physically smooshing my face into my screen to get at that tummy fluff! Aaaah!

Done misc. chars and foodkitties.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

UK here. It was finally non-vile on Thurs, so I went for a long walk and I feel a good chunk better for it. Well, except for my feet, they've grown soft and weak and were punished for it. I reckon it's cabinfever as much as SAD.

lofi fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 9, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lol thanks Sharpest Crayon! And I LOOOVE the foodkitties!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Thursday night was art night at a local game design co-op so i figured i need to draw something safe for work to avoid looking any more like a cretin than i already do. Three days later, here we are.

https://twitter.com/muffinlordArt/status/1094386449254883328?s=19

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

As part of a skill-swap, I traded some coding for some illustration, so I now have a reference-image-viewer! Basically, it's like that pixelovely thing, with some tweaks (gaps added between images, custom schedules, etc), and it lets you use your own selection of images.

If anyone wants a copy, it's on Sourceforge here.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Did a revisit of the design I threw together some days ago. I wanted to combine that with some practise for skirt fabric behaviour, but had a tough time finding interesting references.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

lofi posted:

As part of a skill-swap, I traded some coding for some illustration, so I now have a reference-image-viewer! Basically, it's like that pixelovely thing, with some tweaks (gaps added between images, custom schedules, etc), and it lets you use your own selection of images.

If anyone wants a copy, it's on Sourceforge here.

And now I've actually used the thing! I am really rusty, I've not been drawing people much recently and it shows:

How is it I got worse as I had more time? (The answer is 'trying to do too much', adding complexity rather than doing basics well.)

e: I think also that I lost the flow of the gesture on the 25m one - compared to the curves of the 5m one it's all clumsy angles and yuk.

lofi fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 11, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi posted:

And now I've actually used the thing! I am really rusty, I've not been drawing people much recently and it shows:

How is it I got worse as I had more time? (The answer is 'trying to do too much', adding complexity rather than doing basics well.)

e: I think also that I lost the flow of the gesture on the 25m one - compared to the curves of the 5m one it's all clumsy angles and yuk.

That happens to me allll the time. I usually like my sketches better than the stuff I work longer on because it's looser and has more spontaneity. I'm working on it, but it's not easy.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It's finally getting warm enough to go out and draw! :)

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Messing around with the adobe sketchbook app on ipad and it's a bit hard to use because it's too realistic, which is odd, but I'm too used to static digital tools and not faux-realistic watercolours that expand and drip, and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

More painting practise today.