Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

He's no vaan, thats for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

Thanks!

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

There is no sequel to FF4.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's funny how people always say FF is full of whiny emo baby protagonists when that's only really 7 & 8. Maybe 13 depending on your viewpoint.

But there's awesome fun dudes like Zidane who spends 95% of the game flirting or just being super supportive bro to all his friends. Or Bartz who is just a complete goofball even as they butt heads with a demonic tree. Heck even Cloud is somewhat an exception since once he recovers from his mental trauma he's kind of just an awkward dork. It's just that every other sidegame ignored that characterization.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wonder if the legacy of Tidus would be more positive if that game didn't have voice acting.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

He's definitely got some pent up daddy issues and his English voice was kinda grating but I would never call him a whiner. (Yuna really is the main character of X though)

You'd have daddy issues too if you had one of the worst video game dads next to Rip Blazkowicz.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vermain posted:

You'd have daddy issues too if you had one of the worst video game dads next to Rip Blazkowicz.

Probably, but at least Tidus' dad had a great loving theme song. That's gotta count for something.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I wonder if the legacy of Tidus would be more positive if that game didn't have voice acting.
It absolutely definitely would, I'm not joking about the laughing scene. Nearly every negative opinion on that game is rooted at least partially in "wow they should have hired better actors, these laughs sound fake"

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's funny how people always say FF is full of whiny emo baby protagonists when that's only really 7 & 8. Maybe 13 depending on your viewpoint.

But there's awesome fun dudes like Zidane who spends 95% of the game flirting or just being super supportive bro to all his friends. Or Bartz who is just a complete goofball even as they butt heads with a demonic tree. Heck even Cloud is somewhat an exception since once he recovers from his mental trauma he's kind of just an awkward dork. It's just that every other sidegame ignored that characterization.

Cloud was always a dork. He was a sad boy when he was reminded his memories aren't true, then he accepts it and goes back to being a dork. Everything after like Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children recharacterized him into being a sad loner.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

7 didn't even have a whiny emo baby, Cloud was a cocky, smug dude who only had a kind of depressive streak in the middle because of having an existential crisis.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Countblanc posted:

yeah i can't think of a single final fantasy protagonist people like,
the best final fantasy protag is Vegeta from Chrono Cross

and my favorite villain is a tie between Marche and the Meteor from FF7

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

homeless snail posted:

It absolutely definitely would, I'm not joking about the laughing scene. Nearly every negative opinion on that game is rooted at least partially in "wow they should have hired better actors, these laughs sound fake"

I like how James Arnold Taylor had to make a YouTube video pointing out that they were fake laughing.

Even though Tidus and Yuna outright talk about how they're faking laughing to get through hard times. And then laugh for real after. And then the rest of the party asks why they're laughing weird.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Actually I'm gonna be super high effort here and look at each game's protagonist.

I - Warrior of Light: Not much characterization exists in the original game. If you wanna look at his Dissidia appearance he's mostly just a stoic hero who is chronically serious about his job with some impressive willpower. Not Emo.
II - Firion: He's a Rebel With A Cause who wants to gently caress up the empire because they are being huge dicks and taking over the world. He was orphaned as a kid because of them but he doesn't actually dwell on it much. Not Emo.
III - Luneth: A confident dude with a weakness for helping people in need. His parents died when he was young but he never dwells on it much. Not Emo.
IV - Cecil: A Dark Knight at the start of the game, he does some pretty heinous poo poo in service to his king. He spends quite a bit of time fighting his guilt over this until he becomes a Paladin and goes against his King. A Little Emo.
V - Bartz: A goofball world wanderer. He actually initially declines to go with Lenna and Galuf on some world important stuff but is guilt-tripped into joining them by his chocobo. His dad was a world savior and he never knew him much but he doesn't dwell on it. Not Emo.
VI - Terra: Was a mind controlled slave for the empire to do warcrimes. When she's freed she struggles a lot with learning about her origins as half esper and wondering if she can even be considered human and if she can feel love. Moderately Emo.
VII - Cloud: Spends a significant portion of the game being a complete jerkass. When not being a jerkass he's mostly apathetic about everything. Aerith's death hits him incredibly hard. After he works through his mental trauma he's mostly just an awkward dork. Sidegames and movies upped the emo immensely. A Little Emo (By Original Game) or Incredibly Emo (by side material).
VIII - Squall: A teenage soldier who has some significant problems with socializing with people. It stems from him being afraid of losing people and thus he doesn't want to form connections. He learns to grow out of this through the game. Moderately Emo.
IX - Zidane: A flirtatious thief with a penchant for helping people in need. He spends the majority of the game being upbeat and positive and generally just lifting up his companions who are going through their own problems. Has an existential crisis near the end of the game where he learns he was meant to be an angel of death and he tries to push away his friends but they snap him out of it. Not Emo.
X - Tidus: An imaginary dream friend who has some very significant daddy issues and is left floundering when he's suddenly snapped to another world. He still does his best to help his companions even though he's lost, confused, and terrified a lot. He grows out of this as he learns of his true origins and accepts it. Moderately Emo.
XII - Vaan: A street rat thief who spends a lot of time being upbeat and supportive but he does have some bad feelings about the death of his brother. He spends a chunk of time sorely wanting revenge but eventually realizes he's just hurting himself and lets go of it. A Tiny Bit Emo.
XIII - Lightning: Spends a lot of the game being an rear end in a top hat and not wanting to deal with anyone around her. She's dealing with immense guilt about blowing off her sister when she asked for help and watching her turn to crystal as a result. She grows out of this as the game progresses and learns to trust her companions and confide in them. Moderately Emo.
XV - Noctis: A prince with a whole lot of responsibility shoved on him that he never wanted. He spends a lot of the game being a bit whiny and not really wanting to deal with anything but he learns to accept his responsibilities as the game progresses. Moderately Emo.

This has been an Emo Rating for FF Protagonists I spent way too much time on thanks for listening.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 8, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What about FF14 though

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Vermain posted:

BJ turned out to be a fine upstanding American citizen who murders nazis and by extension his dad

"Imaginary Gods" in a game where people just loving summon the goddamn things on the reg

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

XIV - Warrior of Light (You!): Mostly up to each player but dialogue choices paint them as mostly chronic do-gooders. Alternatively they are Sass Elementals that never get paid enough. Piss off, kupo.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

homeless snail posted:

What about FF14 though

Know that I'll kill your god if I have to. Maybe even if I don't.

KoB
May 1, 2009

homeless snail posted:

What about FF14 though

*puts fist into open palm*

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

homeless snail posted:

What about FF14 though

The hearts of men are black with corruption and must needs be cleansed!

Alternatively:

Honed is the blade that severs the villains head. Endless is the path that leads him from hell.
or
Open your eyes to the darkness and drown in it's loveless embrace. The Gods will not be watching.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

homeless snail posted:

What about FF14 though

I am very cute, strong and cool.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

What about FF14 though

*taps chest with a look of self-satisfaction*

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bolow posted:

"Imaginary Gods" in a game where people just loving summon the goddamn things on the reg

well I mean they're still possibly imaginary (the Twelve at least) since summoning isn't actually SUMMONING, it's more like conjuring a physical manifestation based on cultural interpretations of a god/whatever.

that doesn't stop the rest of that post (and that entire thread barring a handful of sane voices) is lol

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hey now, no one's summoned one of the twelve, I guess we don't have explicit proof they exist (but considering the setting assuming that they don't is kind of insane. So many other gods/primals/demons/legendary beings exist, why not Byergot?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Still waiting to fight a primal of the WoL.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Glagha posted:

Hey now, no one's summoned one of the twelve, I guess we don't have explicit proof they exist (but considering the setting assuming that they don't is kind of insane. So many other gods/primals/demons/legendary beings exist, why not Byergot?

Didn't they explicitly get summoned at the end of 1.x?

Also, the Twelve are a part of the questline before a marriage, although they only bless something of yours, iirc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Glagha posted:

I think it's just like, noct does Shields like sch does but is worse at it. I don't think it's worth worrying about though.

It's not really worse at it though? The shields on SCH aren't the good thing about the class it's the amazing amount of healing on reaction/oGCD. They're not really shield healers. Noct AST is an actual shield healer though, you've got a button that basically turns off Tank Busters on GCD that is instant cast. On top of the ES and your buff extention tools make you a damage mitigator. You're not healing on reaction you're preventing damage from happening at all. You look into the future as say "Nope that doesn't happen." If you don't let ES go off on it's own you're a bad AST.

AST is good and plays almost nothing like WHM because you actually have to have some form of attention going forward for AST. WHM you can' just spam stone and occasionaly through out the regen or a single cure 3 on top of assize or Bene or Tetra and be fine.

AST for thinking, SCH for reactive healing, WHM for being hungover because it requires no real thought.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Zwingley posted:

Didn't they explicitly get summoned at the end of 1.x?

Nope, it's one of the reasons why binding Bahamut failed.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Azubah posted:

Nope, it's one of the reasons why binding Bahamut failed.

Huh. I guess that makes sense. I wasn't playing, so I guess I fell for Garlean propoganda. :argh:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not really worse at it though? The shields on SCH aren't the good thing about the class it's the amazing amount of healing on reaction/oGCD. They're not really shield healers. Noct AST is an actual shield healer though, you've got a button that basically turns off Tank Busters on GCD that is instant cast. On top of the ES and your buff extention tools make you a damage mitigator. You're not healing on reaction you're preventing damage from happening at all. You look into the future as say "Nope that doesn't happen." If you don't let ES go off on it's own you're a bad AST.

AST is good and plays almost nothing like WHM because you actually have to have some form of attention going forward for AST. WHM you can' just spam stone and occasionaly through out the regen or a single cure 3 on top of assize or Bene or Tetra and be fine.

AST for thinking, SCH for reactive healing, WHM for being hungover because it requires no real thought.

Yeah ignore me on that I have not played enough AST or SCH at all to know. I said "I think" because I was literally just guessing, my bad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The bit about the 12 not being summonable gets lampshaded regularly so I fully expect that, at some point in a future expansion, it is going to either happen and there will be Dire Consequences or we'll learn the Terrible Secret behind exactly why we can't (and it'll be more than just "they don't exist lol"). But to date they have canonically never been successfully summoned.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Still waiting to fight a primal of the WoL.

Final boss of 5.0.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thundarr posted:

The bit about the 12 not being summonable gets lampshaded regularly so I fully expect that, at some point in a future expansion, it is going to either happen and there will be Dire Consequences or we'll learn the Terrible Secret behind exactly why we can't (and it'll be more than just "they don't exist lol"). But to date they have canonically never been successfully summoned.

It's because there are 12 of them.

You know what else has 12 in it?

Knights of the Round.

Oh wait no KotR has 13, there's the terrible secret. No one's been able to summon the twelve because there's actually thirteen of them and everyone's forgotten about the most important one because jrpg mind/history altering plot mechanism.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

YoshiOfYellow posted:

XIV - Warrior of Light (You!): Mostly up to each player but dialogue choices paint them as mostly chronic do-gooders. Alternatively they are Sass Elementals that never get paid enough. Piss off, kupo.

i'm surprised there hasn't been an ff14 gang tag yet

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Could be something like people keep trying to use primal-type summoning, and The Twelve are able to prevent false aether-siphons in their image from being created, and there's some other special way to call on them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's because there are 12 of them.

You know what else has 12 in it?

Knights of the Round.

Oh wait no KotR has 13, there's the terrible secret. No one's been able to summon the twelve because there's actually thirteen of them and everyone's forgotten about the most important one because jrpg mind/history altering plot mechanism.

But Thordan already did that shtick.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
One of the caveats of summoning is you can’t summon a primal of something that already exists somewhere in the world. There can’t be two ifrits summoned by different cultures in different parts of the world. This leads to the possibility that the twelve haven’t been summoned despite all the prayer directed towards them because they are out there somewhere already. For a bit I thought that the voice in the trailer might have been one of them, that maybe Hydaelyn and Zodiark has sealed them away somehow and that’s what the whole ‘throw wide the gates and let us pass’ thing was about, but that doesn’t seem likely anymore.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But Thordan already did that shtick.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

One of the caveats of summoning is you can’t summon a primal of something that already exists somewhere in the world.

There is method to the madness :colbert:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We're talking about gods existing or not but missing the obvious.

Hydaelin obviously exists. She's not worshiped, but is basically the divine foundation of all reality.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We're talking about gods existing or not but missing the obvious.

Hydaelin obviously exists. She's not worshiped, but is basically the divine foundation of all reality.

She's definitely worshipped, including by the Scions. "May you ever walk in the light of the crystal", etc. Also the 2.0 plot pretty much explicitly had the WoL tempered by her though our pal Middy's actions in 2.x complicated that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there any glam like the Weaver's Swallowtail for anything besides Weaver?