Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Sorry, just hate getting sick and didn't anticipate the drat near freezing rain. I suppose I should have prepared a bit better, but damned if it wasn't hard to be charming when I felt like death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
We're switching from everyone booking their own poo poo and making bad excel expense reports to Concur :rip:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

sneakyfrog posted:

just visiting CA this week for business.

Way colder than expected, and your cost of living/cost of stuff here is stupid.

thanks, I'll take FL any day over this weird rear end place.

I don't mind Florida at all, granted half of my time has been spent between Miami and Fort Meyers. I'll take Miami over Fort Meyers.

The only real place I've never gotten a vibe for is Atlanta, Chicago and maybe Houston. Or maybe it's just because I'm always stuck in the 'burbs at a generic corporate satellite office.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Yup but on the flip side if you fail then you still were living in California.

Your consolation prize is living in hell?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

The only real place I've never gotten a vibe for is Atlanta, Chicago and maybe Houston. Or maybe it's just because I'm always stuck in the 'burbs at a generic corporate satellite office.

Houston is a city that's better lived in vs visiting in my opinion. The layout, sprawl, hollow urban core (downtown proper is a ghost town outside business hours), and complete lack of decent transit options make it hard for anyone that doesn't live around here to really figure out how to enjoy it. We have all the things but not all easily together I guess.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KillHour posted:

California is hell to people from upstate NY? What kind of bizarro dimension am I living in where that’s normal?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

California is hell to people from upstate NY? What kind of bizarro dimension am I living in where that’s normal?

My girlfriend moved here from San Diego. She has no intention of going back.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I can't speak much of Upstate NY outside of Buffalo which appears to be a generic US City - which is fine - with Niagara Falls which is kind of cool?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

KillHour posted:

San Francisco and Los Angeles have an obscene amount to offer and the local stuff is affordable.

The only place that classifies as hell is actually living in Las Vegas or Oklahoma.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I live in Buffalo so, yeah. Generic US city is pretty accurate. We have well above-average food though.

I HATE traffic. I would rather peel all my skin off with a mandoliner than sit in LA or SF traffic. The canyons are cool though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

KillHour posted:

I live in Buffalo so, yeah. Generic US city is pretty accurate. We have well above-average food though.

I HATE traffic. I would rather peel all my skin off with a mandoliner than sit in LA or SF traffic. The canyons are cool though.

I don't get how so many US Cities ended up with today's terrible traffic and no mass transportation. It's worthless and automobiles do not scale.

On the flip side, is the Canadian side of Niagara Falls just a tourist trap?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

I don't get how so many US Cities ended up with today's terrible traffic and no mass transportation. It's worthless and automobiles do not scale.

Car companies, via regulatory capture, wrote transportation policy for much of the country in the 1950s.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
ORD ground stopped due to wind just as we pushed back from the gate. Next update from ATC in an hour so here we shall sit. I should’ve eaten dinner.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My flight MIA-MCO was delayed for “minimum one hour” for a blown tire, so I got on standby for the next flight, which was less than an hour later. Got a seat on that flight and then my original flight starts to board after less than a 30 minute delay :v:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Zaepho posted:

Houston is a city that's better lived in vs visiting in my opinion. The layout, sprawl, hollow urban core (downtown proper is a ghost town outside business hours), and complete lack of decent transit options make it hard for anyone that doesn't live around here to really figure out how to enjoy it. We have all the things but not all easily together I guess.

Like Detroit, everything you want to do in Houston is a 25 minute drive away from where you are, no matter where you are.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

On the flip side, is the Canadian side of Niagara Falls just a tourist trap?

Yes. And the American side is just a crack den. Go to Goat Island if you want to actually see the Falls and go to Buffalo or Toronto for anything else.

Edit: The Whirlpool Jetboat Tours are legit though.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KillHour posted:

Yes. And the American side is just a crack den. Go to Goat Island if you want to actually see the Falls and go to Buffalo or Toronto for anything else.

Edit: The Whirlpool Jetboat Tours are legit though.

All this. Niagara is poo poo other than the view of the actual falls.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

PCjr sidecar posted:

Like Detroit, everything you want to do in Houston is a 25 minute drive away from where you are, no matter where you are.

You sir have completely summed it up

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cacafuego posted:

My flight MIA-MCO was delayed for “minimum one hour” for a blown tire, so I got on standby for the next flight, which was less than an hour later. Got a seat on that flight and then my original flight starts to board after less than a 30 minute delay :v:

How did the timing compare to if you just drove?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Thread title. was a long week

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PCjr sidecar posted:

make that 45 minutes for Detroit

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

How did the timing compare to if you just drove?

It’s about a 3.5-4 hour drive, depending on traffic (usually none), but the last thing I want to do after waking up at 6am and working all day is spend almost 4 hours in a car, in the dark, trying not to fall asleep.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is what my mind saw when I read that post due to the line break.

Cacafuego posted:

spend almost 4 hours in a car, in the dark, crying

Who hurt you? :ohdear:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

This is what my mind saw when I read that post due to the line break.

Who hurt you? :ohdear:

Orlando's just like that.

Cacafuego posted:

It’s about a 3.5-4 hour drive, depending on traffic (usually none), but the last thing I want to do after waking up at 6am and working all day is spend almost 4 hours in a car, in the dark, trying not to fall asleep.

Yeah, I've made the drive a bunch, but I always just plan most of a day for it. It's right on the edge of where I'd bother to fly, since I'd need a car in Orlando anyways, and I'd usually rather drive my car than anything you can rent.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Orlando's just like that.

Yeah, I've made the drive a bunch, but I always just plan most of a day for it. It's right on the edge of where I'd bother to fly, since I'd need a car in Orlando anyways, and I'd usually rather drive my car than anything you can rent.

I live in Orlando, so i was flying home. And I like it here :getin:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:hmmyes:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
flying to Chicago the tail end of next week. But not for business...for a friggin wedding!!! in February! in Chicago!! and the groom and bride both live in Los Angeles!!! Ahhhh

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mandalay posted:

flying to Chicago the tail end of next week. But not for business...for a friggin wedding!!! in February! in Chicago!! and the groom and bride both live in Los Angeles!!! Ahhhh

I once had the pleasure of attending a black tie wedding in New Orleans. In July.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm doing (again) SEA-LAX-SYD-PER-SYD-LAX-SEA. Except I'm doing all that solely for a four hour meeting in PER and I flew out today (Friday) early AM from SEA to beat the storm. I fly back Monday. About 45 hours of flying overall for one meeting.

Don't even want to think about the number of hours involved here except Saturday never occurs for me and I get two Tuesdays!

Layover recs at SYD? Don't have time to leave the airport this go around.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

I once had the pleasure of attending a black tie wedding in New Orleans. In July.

gently caress New Orleans. Been there twice, once at the tail end of July and this past October. Can't decide if the food and music is worth the miserable loving assholes in that city.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

movax posted:

I'm doing (again) SEA-LAX-SYD-PER-SYD-LAX-SEA. Except I'm doing all that solely for a four hour meeting in PER and I flew out today (Friday) early AM from SEA to beat the storm. I fly back Monday. About 45 hours of flying overall for one meeting.

Don't even want to think about the number of hours involved here except Saturday never occurs for me and I get two Tuesdays!

Layover recs at SYD? Don't have time to leave the airport this go around.

What do you do for work that 45 hours of flying and the cost of that ticket was worth it for a 4 hour meeting? I assume that’s getting billed to something.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

What do you do for work that 45 hours of flying and the cost of that ticket was worth it for a 4 hour meeting? I assume that’s getting billed to something.

Engineering consulting (of course); one of my partners was the only one going for a week, but suddenly a meeting with 10 people from a major potential client appears and it was only $2500 in economy tickets to get over there.

I'm the idiot, it's me.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:tviv:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

movax posted:

gently caress New Orleans. Been there twice, once at the tail end of July and this past October. Can't decide if the food and music is worth the miserable loving assholes in that city.

I was just in New Orleans this week. I'm pretty sure the entire city is one giant tourist trap.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
You guys are doing it very wrong if you think New Orleans is filled with assholes and tourist traps and I live downtown.

PS. You guys are missing the Star Wars themed Mardi Gras parade this weekend. Chewbacchus.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

New Orleans is absolutely fantastic.*

Excluding the week of Mardi Gras.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lote posted:

You guys are doing it very wrong if you think New Orleans is filled with assholes and tourist traps and I live downtown.

PS. You guys are missing the Star Wars themed Mardi Gras parade this weekend. Chewbacchus.

Oh my god this might redeem it.

e: I have spent my time in New Orleans at night around Frenchmen St for music, and then wandering to Garden District and further away for food. gently caress Bourbon Street. I even made it out to Jake and Snake's last time I was there, which was awesome. But turbofuck the humidity.

movax fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 9, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If they ever give America an enema they'll put the hose in at Detroit and let it drain out at New Orleans.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Midjack posted:

If they ever give America an enema they'll put the hose in at Detroit and let it drain out at New Orleans.

The light tunnel at DTW is a goddamned treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
God drat I understand if you're constantly on the road to actually do things at a client site but for a consultancy meeting just use loving Skype