Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The mess that made of that engine :yikes:

Plane definitely broke up in mid-air, you could tell from the initial video that the prop fell before the rest of the airframe which probably broke up shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Qantas has cancelled an order for 8 A380s they put in back in 2006, they'll just upgrade/refurbish their existing 12.

While emirates might be downgrading 20 A380 orders to the A350.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Guessing the A380F might finally become a reality. Might have to plan to take QF8 sooner rather than later - at least Qantas hasn't talked about retiring their fleet...yet.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looks more probable to me that the A380 will simply cease production altogether.

It'll make it easier to transfer Airbus' wing production away from the UK due to Brexit, since they are significantly larger than the wings of any other Airbus aircraft. If they don't have to build them anymore, the investment of building a new wing factory will be lower.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I meant the A380s circulating out of passenger service will likely be converted to freighters like the 744s are.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Would an A380F actually be viable (unlike the beautiful, misunderstood A380)?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Have any oil sheiks turned an A380 into the world's biggest flying yacht yet?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Inacio posted:

Would an A380F actually be viable (unlike the beautiful, misunderstood A380)?

Maybe not as a new-build project at the onset of production, but a cargo conversion at a discounted price? :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The A380 is great, I love it, and will be sad when it goes away, much like the 747.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

I hate all questions that force me to admit that even a PowerBall jackpot would not be enough money to make something practical.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The A380 is great, I love it, and will be sad when it goes away, much like the 747.

Yeah, :manning: and all

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FuturePastNow posted:

Yes. One was for sale a few years ago; it had a glass floor to look at the ground below and all. (The oil sheik originally wanted a pool, but no amount of bribes could convince the Airbus engineers it'd be a remotely acceptable idea on an aircraft.)
https://www.curbed.com/2013/4/10/10254742/inside-the-500m-flying-palace-sold-by-a-saudi-prince

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I hate all questions that force me to admit that even a PowerBall jackpot would not be enough money to make something practical.

A relatively high-up Saudi prince *almost* bought a VIP A380, but the Qatari Royal Family has semi-recently tried to get rid of _one_ of their 747-8 VIP planes: https://onemileatatime.com/qatar-747-for-sale/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes. One was for sale a few years ago; it had a glass floor to look at the ground below and all. (The oil sheik originally wanted a pool, but no amount of bribes could convince the Airbus engineers it'd be a remotely acceptable idea on an aircraft.)
https://www.curbed.com/2013/4/10/10254742/inside-the-500m-flying-palace-sold-by-a-saudi-prince

I’ll believe the glass floor when I see it

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cat Mattress posted:

(The oil sheik originally wanted a pool, but no amount of bribes could convince the Airbus engineers it'd be a remotely acceptable idea on an aircraft.)

Oh man, that'd be so cool!

What about a hot tub?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Personally, I'm in favor of more flying observatories.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As someone who actually flys on the drat things too much I totally agree.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Surprised the guy didn't just buy Airbus just to make it happen. :retrogames:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

Oh man, that'd be so cool!

What about a hot tub?

The article linked refers to it as a "whirlpool tub" so I'd guess the intent was something closer to a hot tub than a pool.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Is this the one?

https://www.ausbt.com.au/photos-inside-the-private-airbus-a380-flying-palace

If so it's tacky as heck. I don't like it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MisterOblivious posted:

Pilot lands overheating plane on I-35 exit ramp, taxis to Kwik Trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2UiaAzZNeo

There's footage of both the landing and takeoff.

I like the laissez-faire attitude of the folks who see an airplane descending onto the road in front of them and they don't stomp on the brakes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

tactlessbastard posted:

I like the laissez-faire attitude of the folks who see an airplane descending onto the road in front of them and they don't stomp on the brakes.

You're assuming those people are looking that far ahead.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

That motherfucker is trying to cut me off! Well I'm not gonna let him...

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Maybe not as a new-build project at the onset of production, but a cargo conversion at a discounted price? :shrug:

I think the problem with that is going to be that the A380 is still too large for a decent number of airports, and I don't know if the current ground handling equipment for ULD containers can reach the upper deck of an A380, since 747's don't have doors above their main cabin level.

Plus, I can see issues cropping up with long term support for the airplanes, since there weren't a ton of them to rob for parts like there are for the 747 family.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

azflyboy posted:

I think the problem with that is going to be that the A380 is still too large for a decent number of airports, and I don't know if the current ground handling equipment for ULD containers can reach the upper deck of an A380, since 747's don't have doors above their main cabin level.

Plus, I can see issues cropping up with long term support for the airplanes, since there weren't a ton of them to rob for parts like there are for the 747 family.

If the A380 solves a problem that FedEx or UPS have, they'll solve the follow-on problems. When the laws about aircraft noise in the US ruled out unmodified 727s, FedEx designed, built, and sold hush kits: http://www.fedex.com/us/hushkit/history/index.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sellouts posted:

As someone who actually flys on the drat things too much I totally agree.

my fingers are crossed that Delta will do a el cheapo buy on some used airframes

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If the A380 solves a problem that FedEx or UPS have, they'll solve the follow-on problems. When the laws about aircraft noise in the US ruled out unmodified 727s, FedEx designed, built, and sold hush kits: http://www.fedex.com/us/hushkit/history/index.html

That would depend on how many airframes said operator had. FedEx has as many as 170 727s at one time.

Airbus has built -230 A380s thus far.

They’re not going to that level for something that they only own fifteen tails of.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my fingers are crossed that Delta will do a el cheapo buy on some used airframes

It needs to be on the DC-9 type cert. Delta is buying A350s and A220s new.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’d be very surprised. They unloaded all the 747s they got from Northwest in a decade, presumably because they don’t operate routes fat enough to justify it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

That would depend on how many airframes said operator had. FedEx has as many as 170 727s at one time.

They’re not going to that level for something that they only own fifteen tails of.

Yeah, but something that bolts on to the back end of an engine probably costs a bit more to engineer than a taller container loader.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrYenko posted:

FedEx also knew there were still a bunch of 727's flying that that they could sell hush kits for. Since they're already scrapping A380's, I can't see anyone throwing money at that airplane.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I’d be very surprised. They unloaded all the 747s they got from Northwest in a decade, presumably because they don’t operate routes fat enough to justify it.

Because they didn't want to pay for a D check.

They could've probably paid for those planes to be overhauled though. Delta apparently retired the MD-88 because everyone they asked refused to overhaul their engines.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Luneshot posted:

Personally, I'm in favor of more flying observatories.

So how low would you need to fly this to make it the ultimate inflight sundeck?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

azflyboy posted:

Since they're already scrapping A380's, I can't see anyone throwing money at that airplane.

They are scrapping them already?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

slidebite posted:

They are scrapping them already?

https://onemileatatime.com/airbus-a380-scrapped/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Do note that the first several A380s built were heavier than the rest and didn’t have the same performance, so these weren’t very popular on the second-hand market. It’s possible that when more recently built A380s enter the second-hand market, there may be more interest.

Probably makes sense to just part them out then.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Air France is probably parking half of their A380 fleet by the end of 2020 (they're reportedly not renewing five leases when they expire), and since there has proven to be almost zero secondhand market for those airplanes, those five airframes are very likely going to be scrapped for parts.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Cat Mattress posted:

The oil sheik originally wanted a pool, but no amount of bribes could convince the Airbus engineers it'd be a remotely acceptable idea on an aircraft.)

I'm wondering, how much water could an A380 have sloshing around the floor of the cabin before it becomes a problem?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
As National Airlines figured out, having the CG of an airplane shift suddenly is a very bad thing, so I can't imagine anything bigger than a hot tub would end well.

https://youtu.be/AUjD9yUmTT0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

FBS posted:

I'm wondering, how much water could an A380 have sloshing around the floor of the cabin before it becomes a problem?

I'd love to fly a simulator set up with various amounts of "swimming pool" in it