Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pmac posted:

One round of golf per month for $99/year makes zero sense. There must be some ridiculous blackout dates and weird conditions around that part of the deal. Seems like not the worst idea until they start raising the price...I think?

Yeah I think that depends a lot on how close you are to some of those courses. ANd yeah I don't buy for a minute that you're going to get any real shot at getting a time at goddamn Sawgrass or Portrush

E: I'd bet it's one of those "Well, show up and if someone no-shows a tee time, maybe we can fit you in..." things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pmac posted:

One round of golf per month for $99/year makes zero sense. There must be some ridiculous blackout dates and weird conditions around that part of the deal. Seems like not the worst idea until they start raising the price...I think?

It makes absolutely no sense. A round at Sawgrass is like $400, Pasatiempo is $260.

If it's legit, I don't care when I have to play to get on Sawgrass for next to nothing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

pmac posted:

Guarantee it's one of GolfNow's hot deal times, which can only be used tuesday-thursday after 1pm. This is really how their hotdeal rewards work now.

Oh you can get at time at Sawgrass though golfnow, not the Stadium course though.

edit:

HA, loving called it. From their ToS

All GOLFPASS Program Members will receive one (1) GOLFNOW promotional code (the “PLAY Promo Code”) per month while their GOLFPASS membership is current and valid, which may be used to redeem one (1) Hot Deal* tee time of any value** (for one (1) golfer only), playable Monday through Thursday after 12:00 p.m. only.

I have never seen a hot deal time at TPC or any of the other high profile courses. So while you CAN book a tee time through golfnow to play TPC(non stadium course) you'll NEVER get a free round there with this program.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 5, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Guarantee it's one of GolfNow's hot deal times, which can only be used tuesday-thursday after 1pm. This is really how their hotdeal rewards work now.

Oh you can get at time at Sawgrass though golfnow, not the Stadium course though.

edit:

HA, loving called it. From their ToS

All GOLFPASS Program Members will receive one (1) GOLFNOW promotional code (the “PLAY Promo Code”) per month while their GOLFPASS membership is current and valid, which may be used to redeem one (1) Hot Deal* tee time of any value** (for one (1) golfer only), playable Monday through Thursday after 12:00 p.m. only.

I have never seen a hot deal time at TPC or any of the other high profile courses. So while you CAN book a tee time through golfnow to play TPC(non stadium course) you'll NEVER get a free round there with this program.

lmao that's traaaaasssssssh

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I can't wait to play for free in Phoenix at 1:05 PM in mid-August!

NBC also charges $60/year for a "Snowpass" to watch all the Alpine events (Skiing/X-Country/Biathlon/Ski Jumping), but you can also just watch 95% of the same events via NBCSPORTS or the NBC's Olympic Channel that already come with any mid-tier package.

They also do the same thing with their EPL package where you can pay $50/year for just a few more matches that aren't on their regular channels.

It's like NBC is just scattershot trying anything in getting ready for a la carte streaming only TV of the future.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

They also do the same thing with their EPL package where you can pay $50/year for just a few more matches that aren't on their regular channels.

It's like NBC is just scattershot trying anything in getting ready for a la carte streaming only TV of the future.

Yeah it's kind of amazing how splintered all their coverage is now

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Anyone have Masters badges? I’ll take a practice round. Just a day to be on the course. My dad has cancer (so far non-life threatening) but he’s 74 and a few hours walking around Augusta with him would be cool. Stubhub prices are LOL.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Douchebag posted:

Anyone have Masters badges? I’ll take a practice round. Just a day to be on the course. My dad has cancer (so far non-life threatening) but he’s 74 and a few hours walking around Augusta with him would be cool. Stubhub prices are LOL.

I've been applying for tickets for almost a decade and haven't gotten in but I thought Augusta really restricted resale and if you were caught reselling you'd get banned for life from the grounds.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah it is far and away the toughest ticket

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was lucky enough to win the Masters lottery in 2016. Everyone sells tickets, they don't enforce it. I kept two tickets and sold the rest and it paid for my father and me to travel down there and then some.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I've been applying for tickets for almost a decade and haven't gotten in but I thought Augusta really restricted resale and if you were caught reselling you'd get banned for life from the grounds.

Same, I apply every year and my friend got lucky the year Bubba won his first and we got to go to the Wednesday practice round. Struck out every year since.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I hooked a fellow goon up with tickets the year I won. We had Wednesday tickets but got rained out. Had enough time to spend too much money in the souvenir shop and make a quick round of the entire course though. Sucked, but at least I can say I've been on the grounds!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If I could go to anything at the Masters, I'd go to that little par 3 contest because that seems like an absolute riot and you usually get at least a few aces.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

If I could go to anything at the Masters, I'd go to that little par 3 contest because that seems like an absolute riot and you usually get at least a few aces.

Par 3 was the best part yeah. I parked myself along the rope between 1 green and 2 tee and got to fist bump, high five or shake hands with pretty much everyone that walked by. Including Nicklaus, Tom Watson, Couples, Mickelson etc. Coolest experience ever. Then it rained and we got kicked out but thankfully we had already spent a mortgage payment in the gift shop.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
as usual, not enough Spyglass for the Pebble Beach Pro-Am Tournament gently caress sponsor names

oh goodie, another CEO 3 putting :rolleyes:

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So just got word I'm heading over to San Fran in Mid June thru Early July for four weeks. Not going to be able to get out during the week but the weekends I'll have some time and ideally would like to squeeze in 3 or 4 rounds. Just wondering if there is anywhere you think I should take a look at playing travelling from Australia so I'm open to anything you guys could point me in the direction of.

I do want to try and get down to Pebble Beach since I've come so far but not sure what availability will be like as the US Open is on around then but apart from that I'm open to anything.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
If you are staying in SF and your budget is $200+ you should go for Harding Park in west SF for sure to start. Half Moon Bay is also good and within an hour. Pasatiempo is down in Santa Cruz about 90 minutes away and worth checking out. Even if you go down to Carmel and visit the Pebble Beach Lodge and have a beer at the bar overlooking the 18th green you can always go play more budget minded but still great courses near there like Poppy Hills or Bayonet. Spyglass would probably be around $400 and Pebble $600. They are both showing openings in late June.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Awesome, thanks for that I'll take a look at them.

I know Pebble is pricey but I played too much MS Golf and Links growing up to not travel all that way to not play it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
are you playing solo? If so, you might want to call them as you get closer and see about dawn patrol walk on possibilities, especially at Pebble Beach.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
If the costs won't be a massive financial hit to you then I'd say you should ball it up and play pebble + 1 more pimp course + 1 more reasonable course. If you don't know when you're going to be back then strike while the iron's hot and make it count. I've never regretted dropping good money on a prime golf course even if I played like garbage.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Yeah just be playing as a single so it should give me a little more flexibility than a group.

I'm tossing up between Pebble, The TPC mentioned earlier and then just picking 2 reasonably priced pubic courses or Pebble and Spyglass back to back then maybe 2 or 3 public courses the other weekends.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Speaking of Pebble, Phil is tearing it up.

Edit:. Wins by three, shooting 7 under on Sunday. 48 years old.

In his bag is interesting. His 3, 4, and 5 irons are all different Galloway's, and then 6-9 still a different set. Carries three wedges, 54, 60, and 64. Jesus.

https://sports.yahoo.com/whats-bag-t-pebble-beach-115043195.html

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 11, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/notpaige_/status/1094857627190718465

lmao

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

it’s obviously just someone loving around but hell he hit that pretty well

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

RideTheSpiral posted:

it’s obviously just someone loving around but hell he hit that pretty well

was gonna say, sounded pure

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/jesseobrien/status/1095537446308233220

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tiger is on 50(not a typo) watch at the moment. He's -5 through the first 4 holes of his 3rd round. He's only going to get another two or three holes in before dark unfortunately.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Shrapnig posted:

Tiger is on 50(not a typo) watch at the moment. He's -5 through the first 4 holes of his 3rd round. He's only going to get another two or three holes in before dark unfortunately.

Birdie, Eagle, Birde, Birdie. That run was nuts. Phil eagles his first hole of 'day 3' about a minute after tiger did his.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pigz posted:

Birdie, Eagle, Birde, Birdie. That run was nuts. Phil eagles his first hole of 'day 3' about a minute after tiger did his.

Five 3s in a row.

Phil then decided to Phil it and make bogey on the easiest hole on the golf course, a par 5, after making eagle on a par 4.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

There was some shockingly bad golf on display today but good on J.B. Holmes for grinding out a win... because he got a huge break from the new embedded ball rule after he put his ball a foot into the ground in the grass face of a bunker and got a free drop.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Hated to see Holmes win. Tried watching some and jesus, he should have been penalized several times for slow play.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The CBS announce crew was just shredding him too

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Well, good to see. I don't have the volume on anymore on golf broadcasts...maybe they're getting better.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Well, good to see. I don't have the volume on anymore on golf broadcasts...maybe they're getting better.

It seems to depend pretty heavily on who's calling it. For all of his bullshit, Nantz is perfectly fine as a play by play announcer and does golf well, and Nick Faldo is pretty solid on the whole. Fox's crew is largely a mess.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
That's an incredible last round from Molinari. 8 under on greens running 14 with impossible to reach pins.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Finally, jesus. I've got a tee time for 9 am on Tuesday, and just fingers crossed there's no more snow next day or so.

First time I've not played golf in February in probably 15 years.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Finally, jesus. I've got a tee time for 9 am on Tuesday, and just fingers crossed there's no more snow next day or so.

First time I've not played golf in February in probably 15 years.

I haven't played since before Christmas, it's absurd.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

I haven't played since before Christmas, it's absurd.

Annnd, had to cancel. gently caress me. Son's school has a function that morning. Fingers crossed snow holds off another day for a Wednesday tee time.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I received my punishment for playing golf in shorts since about mid February :v: Played a tournament at probably the most bad shot punishing golf course in recorded human history. https://www.stjamesbay.com/golf/ There's at least one forced carry on every single hole. Pretty much any mishit is a lost ball and a stroke penalty at a MINIMUM :negative:

Think this 18 loving times.

Shot a NET 95 with around 18 penalty strokes. I knew it was going to be a poo poo day when the head came off my brand new ping crossover hybrid three holes in, which is my tee shot club for most of that course, and poo poo just went downhill from there.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh lordy that looks humbling