Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man the og deus vult wad is bananas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Guillermus posted:

Doom is a non issue because I'll just point him to gzdoom just to play ultimate doom and doom 2 but for Quake, wich port should I tell him to use? I switch from Darkplaces to QbismS8 (I like the software looks of it) but what's better for him? Something that doesn't make Quake too "smooth" since I showed him a video of Quake 1.5 and was too modern for him.

Quakespasm has minimal additions other than resolution options as mentioned earlier in the thread. I also like to make the visuals look more traditional / software render-y by adjusting autoexec.cfg and adding this:
gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR
along with the tried and true:
r_wateralpha 1

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the recommendation on quakespasm. Nevermind, quakespasm wasn't detecting ogg files but the soundtrack in mp3 plays fine.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 7, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Quakespasm will play absolutely anything (ogg/mp3/was) you stick in id1/music as long as you name it correctly. I played it with some tracks from the Marathon 1 OST last year.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Copper Vein posted:

I liked how you could open an Unreal level simply by clicking on the map file in Windows explorer, and you could search *.unr and Open All when you wanted to party.

This was how I discovered CTF maps work just fine as Deathmatch levels back when I was 12.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
would you guys agree halo is kind of the border between "oldschool" and "newschool" fps games?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Halo and Half-Life 2 are usually the cutoff I use.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Word on the street is that Amid Evil episode 6 is out now.

Dusk severely overshadowed Amid Evil for me over the last few months but now it's time to pay my dues.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

treat posted:

Dusk severely overshadowed Amid Evil for me over the last few months but now it's time to pay my dues.

Graphics card technology demo is, I won’t lie, a perfect aesthetic for a retro FPS.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
:staredog:

Okay yeah I'm going to have to get back to that here

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i need to get back into amid evil. for some reason it's weirdly laggy on my computer and realistically it should absolutely not be.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Oh holy poo poo I'm playing that tonight

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I keep waiting for the Amid Evil full release. Does that have a rough date? I’m getting super impatient

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RyokoTK posted:

Halo and Half-Life 2 are usually the cutoff I use.

HL2 seems too late to me, that’s a couple of years after Halo. Imo if your game was made in the 21st century its not exactly retro.

Halo is a good cutoff point for a different reason, it proved that console shooters could get really big (like Doom/Goldeneye level) sales quite early in its gen and drove a bunch of industry-side focus to making shooters for consoles first, with PC an afterthought. Half-Life 2 is kind of the last FPS of its class with PC as its sole focus I guess. Even then they took a few years and brought it to consoles where it was also a big success.

Arivia posted:

Graphics card technology demo is, I won’t lie, a perfect aesthetic for a retro FPS.

lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kanine posted:

would you guys agree halo is kind of the border between "oldschool" and "newschool" fps games?

What are we considering New School? Because to me Medal of Honor is an ancient progenitor of what Id call new shooter style and that came out on the Playstation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo the borderline is better off staying a gray area because if you establish solid boundaries you end up like 4chan's retro gaming board, where people flip out at even the slightest sign of talking about a game that came out after the Dreamcast era. Mods delete posts in the Doom general threads that so much as mention the new Doom in a positive or engaging light and it's dumb

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Everything's old school if you wait long enough. And I think we can consider something a classic when a bunch of later games are heavily inspired by it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean its fun to trace ancestry of mechanics and genres, same as film. I dont think anyones looking to banish discussion of certain games with it*, just better catalog the stuff were talking about.

Id probably also split FPS games into more than just two eras; Midi Maze for instance is a predecessor and distinct from what most of what this thread discusses

*Retrogaming in reddit is loving dire. GBA is retro, Dreamcast is not despite you know, their launch dates and life spans.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Mousepractice posted:

Was it Kenneth Scott on textures? They look similar to some of his work on Q3. He had fantastic style, heavily influenced by 2000ad artist Simon Bisley

yeah it was def kenneth scott, has to be one of the all time greats of texturing. it feels like since poly limits have become so much less restrictive, great textures go much less appreciated.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The subjects of The Early FPS thread are not yet oldschool, we're in the prime of our lives! If that "Oldschool Cool" default reddit was posting pictures from 2002, I'd think they're having a laugh. History hit cryostasis in the year 2000, things aren't getting old anymore, let's pop on that oldschool classic Blade II. Bollocks mate, bollocks. The FPS genre evolved nonstop in a quick span of time, we can't put a drat lid on it and file it away on a shelf like a drat Bjork album.

Speaking of Simon Bisley and cool, I myself consider the 1980s to be oldschool. Read ABC Warriors: The Black Hole if you haven't, very cool comic. It's like Transformers meets Fear and Loathing meets Full Metal Jacket.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

The subjects of The Early FPS thread are not yet oldschool, we're in the prime of our lives! If that "Oldschool Cool" default reddit was posting pictures from 2002, I'd think they're having a laugh. History hit cryostasis in the year 2000, things aren't getting old anymore, let's pop on that oldschool classic Blade II. Bollocks mate, bollocks. The FPS genre evolved nonstop in a quick span of time, we can't put a drat lid on it and file it away on a shelf like a drat Bjork album.

bjork is cool, DAD

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That classic line from Blade, "some motherfucker's always trying to classify old school fps games uphill."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My favourite early FPS is Crysis.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Kanine posted:

i'd go with that, it was the first one really designed for console play and introduced a lot of the new-school mechanics, like a limited weapon loadout, regenerating health, etc

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Barudak posted:

Id probably also split FPS games into more than just two eras; Midi Maze for instance is a predecessor and distinct from what most of what this thread discusses

I agree with this sentiment. Basically every new iD game from Wolf through Quake drastically changed the landscape of what a FPS is or could be. Even with iD’s offerings, I’d say nothing really solidified completely until Halo CE. You still had completely unique takes on the genre like Looking Glass’ offerings when Quake and Unreal were at their height.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mordja posted:

Mine's Brute Force.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cat Mattress posted:

I remember seeing a very old interview (I think of Romero) about what Quake was going to be (ca. when teasers about it appeared in Commander Keen, before Doom was even developed) and the plan was melee combat against damage spongey enemies (the quote was something like "when you fight a guy, you'll really have to wail on him for a while" or something to that extent) and I'm very very glad they completely changed their plans a few times during development, because the Quake we got is so much better than the Quake they originally planned.
That interview is in the back of the Doom II Official Strategy Guide. I read that interview many times as a kid. I found a (partial?) transcript of it on this page (Ctrl-F for "ed dille").

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm not going to poo-poo anyone talking about whatever they like in here, but my personal category for "early" FPS games are games that were released in the 20th century, or should have been released in the 20th century but were in development hell.

By those criteria, Daikatana is the last "early" FPS

edit: Daikatana sort of represents the dividing line for more reasons than that - it sort of marked the end of an era of FPSes being made by small teams of "rock star" developers

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 8, 2019

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dusk has updated with support for Linux, Mac, and weirdos who refuse to install a 64-bit OS. Also, four new achievements.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

BattleMaster posted:

I'm not going to poo-poo anyone talking about whatever they like in here, but my personal category for "early" FPS games are games that were released in the 20th century, or should have been released in the 20th century but were in development hell.

By those criteria, Daikatana is the last "early" FPS

edit: Daikatana sort of represents the dividing line for more reasons than that - it sort of marked the end of an era of FPSes being made by small teams of "rock star" developers

I agree with that definition because it allows me to proselytize Duke Nukem Forever to the unwashed masses.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

It feels bad to see people have fond memories of getting home from school and popping in MW2 and considering it old school, if only because that was over 10 years ago and it reminds me that time is forever slipping through our fingers :stare:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jblade posted:

It feels bad to see people have fond memories of getting home from school and popping in MW2 and considering it old school, if only because that was over 10 years ago and it reminds me that time is forever slipping through our fingers :stare:

There was a time when those games were good and even a bit refreshing from the norm, as opposed to the Madden NFL of shooters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If its any consolation someone will hack your coffin to run Doom

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Apparently when I see "MW2" I think of Mechwarrior 2.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Finally, I'll be useful for something

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mordja posted:

That's a benchmarking tool, not an FPS. :colbert:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

treat posted:

Episode 6? Wait, how many episodes do they plan to make?
And how many levels per episode is it?

edit: self-reply: 7 episodes planned, 4 levels per episode.
Putting some gifs from the steam page, too!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 8, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

catlord posted:

"Morrowind 2"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

catlord posted:

I didn’t realize it wasn’t until you posted this. It did seem a tiny bit odd to me that kids 10 years ago would be playing a game from ‘95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Barudak posted:

hell, I'm glad of it