Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

Terminal autist posted:

Defending either patriot prayer or proud boys driving around portland mad max style while the cops stand by, pretty sure the mayors in the room to when hes pointing at ted lmao

im guessing the baby macing patriot prayer enabling immigrant kidnapping mayor is nodding his head thoughtfully in agreement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
i hate ted wheeler so much lol

he shouts about portland being a sanctuary city but he gives ice and cpb free reign to do whatever they want often with police assistance

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Ague Proof posted:

Klaliff – vice president
Klokard – lecturer
Kludd – chaplain
Kligrapp – secretary
Klabee – treasurer
Kladd – "conductor", in charge of initiating new members
Klarogo – inner guard, serjeant-at-arms
Klexter – outer guard

these guys are also the bad guys in donkey kong country.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Dr. Miracle posted:

these guys are also the bad guys in donkey kong country.

trans rights are human rights

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:munch:

https://twitter.com/Kherman112/status/1093700432122208256
https://twitter.com/Kherman112/status/1093706955200196608

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ague Proof posted:

Klaliff – vice president
Klokard – lecturer
Kludd – chaplain
Kligrapp – secretary
Klabee – treasurer
Klexter – outer guard
Nighthawks – couriers

Giant was adopted as an emeritus title: Imperial Giant for an ex-Imperial Wizard, Grand Giant for an ex-Grand Dragon, Great Giant for ex-Great Titan and Klan Giant for an ex-Exalted Cyclops.[48]

A Kleagle was a recruiter and was responsible for organizing local Klans

The White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan created some innovations in their organization including a bicameral Klongress

Klankraft or Klanishness – the overall practice and state of being a Klan member.

The Klan year, Anno Klanslar, began in March of each year, and the cycle was reckoned from December of each calendar year.[80]

Yea, Simmons, the guy who recreated the KKK after watching Birth of a Nation on Stone Mountain on American Thanksgiving in 1919 (I think) was a real wacky guy. He also created Klanversation. It was a secret language that klansmen could communicate "secretly". A Klansman I am became Akia! and then there was something else that was San Bog! but I can't remember any specifics because I don't have my 40 page essay on the Klan anymore. The Klan of the 20s may have been a grift, but it became way more powerful than it had ever been before. That was the Klan that expanded into the North and West, that ruled Indiana and marched down Pennsylvania Avenue. They were only broken when the IRS sent them a bill for back taxes, so none of the murders or arsons or other terrorist activities they did got them.

They didn't lose power in Indiana until their Governor savagely raped a woman, he was so animalistic he bit one of her nipples off.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1093741695039143936

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

uhhh, oh dear

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
huh

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is she saying her partner is a psychopath who’s trying to kill her?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

snoremac posted:

Is she saying her partner is a psychopath who’s trying to kill her?

trying to kill her again

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
thats JFG, the alt rights most legit academic

Destiny exposed him over a year ago. https://www.reddit.com/r/Destiny/comments/7mvw4e/jf_memes_repost_without_links_to_court_documents/

quote:

Finally I looked into the dude's 2016 court case. This poo poo is BONKERS.

I heard destiny talk about this obliquely on stream so I googled it and apparently the dude was dating some woman who was mentally incapacitated. Not sure exactly what happened but the court ended up granting her a temporary guardian, which he protested, seeking an injunction. Eventually the court granted her parents full guardianship. Throughout this JF represented himself. Here's a link to what the attorneys representing the woman (described as the "Ward") and her family: [removed, see top of post]

Here are some quotes (bear in mind this is from the attorneys opposing JF). Apologies if you've all heard all this before:

"Relator [...] is an individual who lured a young woman to another state so that he could admittedly try to have a baby with her, while at the same time he was married to another woman who just had a baby."

"Relator's entire mandamus proceeding seems to hinge heavily on the fact that he believes Ward is pregnant. Ward is not pregnant and this was stated on the record at the hearing. [...] Relator believes Ward is pregnant simply because he had relations with her after he lured her out of her parents' house to another state."

"Relator also continues to call the Ward his fiancee when he is already married to another woman in North Carolina."

The report goes on to relate that the psychologist hired by the Ward's guardian concluded that she has the social and mental maturity of a 10 or 11-year old child, and that she has been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

At the end of this document is the actual court transcript where JF says

"Okay. So, I'm her fiancee and we were trying to make a baby. We have been living together for three weeks We've been together promising loyalty to each other since January 2016. This is what I mention in my motion to intervene and my affidavit."

Then there's the psychiatric evaluation which tells the story from the woman's point of view. And yeesh.

"I asked her how she was planning to take care of herself in North Carolina and she responded that she and Jean Francois were going to work on a cooking show. She was not aware of how much money he has or how much money he makes. I asked her about the possibility of being pregnant and being a mother having to take care of a small child. She stared, was quiet, and no answer was ever given. Later she stated that she liked animals and that she has 3 cats. I asked her if she would be able to take care of herself if something happened to Jean-Francois or if he left and again she had no response."

JFG claimed this autistic girl was actually really smart and that only he knew how to unlock her intelligence and divine her true intentions

looking at that clip and how he explains what she says away he has found another victim

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i thought she was saying the other guy tried to kill her

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Reclines Obesily posted:

JFG claimed this autistic girl was actually really smart and that only he knew how to unlock her intelligence and divine her true intentions

looking at that clip and how he explains what she says away he has found another victim
I remember this story but didn’t know it was him. IIRC there’s a video where he says women should get no pleasure from sex but just lay back and be beautiful for him. Swell guy.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Klaliff – vice president
Klokard – lecturer
Kludd – chaplain
Kligrapp – secretary
Klabee – treasurer
Klexter – outer guard
Nighthawks – couriers

what rank is a Klurf again

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Reclines Obesily posted:

Destiny exposed him over a year ago. https://www.reddit.com/r/Destiny/comments/7mvw4e/jf_memes_repost_without_links_to_court_documents/

Fun Fact!: this guy’s last name, Gariepy, is derived from an old French term, meaning “the rapey” :pseudo:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Grand Prize Winner posted:

what rank is a Klurf again

Below Kuck but above Kunt.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dr. Killjoy posted:

i could of sworn that anime reactionaries were subs>dubs are they going to pretend to like this guy just because he molests teens now?

of course they will

Actually, I don't think this has been a thing for a long time. Part of the reason you had the sub>dub thing to begin with was because a lot of dubbing studios were pretty lovely back in the day like 4kids and Funimation, and a lot of that (but not all) had to do with the fact that anime was targeted mainly at the babbys so a lot of these companies didn't feel the need to put in much effort (not to mention they enacted a shitload of changes which pissed off the otaku crowd).

But nowadays, you don't really have that kind of problem anymore. In fact I think it's more common to see the general consensus being dub > sub (I have no data to back this up).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

Actually, I don't think this has been a thing for a long time. Part of the reason you had the sub>dub thing to begin with was because a lot of dubbing studios were pretty lovely back in the day like 4kids and Funimation, and a lot of that (but not all) had to do with the fact that anime was targeted mainly at the babbys so a lot of these companies didn't feel the need to put in much effort (not to mention they enacted a shitload of changes which pissed off the otaku crowd).

But nowadays, you don't really have that kind of problem anymore. In fact I think it's more common to see the general consensus being dub > sub (I have no data to back this up).

I think it generally depends on the show. Even back in the day DBZ was a bit of a faultline there, since even in the cheesy 'HFIL' days the dub was pretty good, and a lot of people can't get over Goku still being voiced by a granny. (he has the same VA he had back in Dragon Ball days ,which was suitable for a preteen...) It's pretty goofy in either language, and at least the dub translates the jokes or makes new ones to replace the puns that don't translate. (the naming schemes aside. Toriyama is one of those authors who figured out that you'll never have trouble coming up with names if you go full hog into themed puns)

Not to mention you've got the Mexican Spanish dubs, since DBZ is gigantic in Latin America.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

Klaliff – vice president
Klokard – lecturer
Kludd – chaplain
Kligrapp – secretary
Klabee – treasurer
Klexter – outer guard
Nighthawks – couriers

Thank you Mortal Kombat for reclaiming Kool Letters for better purpose

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/NickJFuentes/status/1093337241881985024

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it generally depends on the show. Even back in the day DBZ was a bit of a faultline there, since even in the cheesy 'HFIL' days the dub was pretty good, and a lot of people can't get over Goku still being voiced by a granny. (he has the same VA he had back in Dragon Ball days ,which was suitable for a preteen...) It's pretty goofy in either language, and at least the dub translates the jokes or makes new ones to replace the puns that don't translate. (the naming schemes aside. Toriyama is one of those authors who figured out that you'll never have trouble coming up with names if you go full hog into themed puns)

Not to mention you've got the Mexican Spanish dubs, since DBZ is gigantic in Latin America.

Yeah, I was more referring to Funi's third season of DBZ when Sabat and Schemmel, and co. took over. The first two seasons of DBZ had a lot of bad dialogue, and insane edits (though in many case, these actually made the sshow more tolerable, imo), but they had professional voice actors and composers. By contrast, the VA cast for season 3 were all internal hires, most, if not all, had no experience in voice acting whatsoever (Sabat was originally one of the video editors or something, iirc), and Faulconer only did like one or two weird home and garden T.V. shows before he got he got in charge of doing the music.

Of course, Sabat and co. have come a LONG way since then, but those episodes were ROUGH.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably just as well that everyone's standards were pretty low for anime dubs back in those days, and even with heavy editing DBZ was a totally different tone to everything else on the market. Hell, a show where continuity directly flowed from one episode to the next was rare in children's shows rather than one that returned to the status quo every episode.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, I was more referring to Funi's third season of DBZ when Sabat and Schemmel, and co. took over. The first two seasons of DBZ had a lot of bad dialogue, and insane edits (though in many case, these actually made the sshow more tolerable, imo), but they had professional voice actors and composers. By contrast, the VA cast for season 3 were all internal hires, most, if not all, had no experience in voice acting whatsoever (Sabat was originally one of the video editors or something, iirc), and Faulconer only did like one or two weird home and garden T.V. shows before he got he got in charge of doing the music.

Of course, Sabat and co. have come a LONG way since then, but those episodes were ROUGH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9uFxdAzcr0

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I knew what this was going to be even before I clicked on it. :lol: <3

edit: wait a minute....something's off about that? Did they go back and re-dub it?

edit 2: holy poo poo, they did! this is the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmMFp7Kr0Ng

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably just as well that everyone's standards were pretty low for anime dubs back in those days, and even with heavy editing DBZ was a totally different tone to everything else on the market. Hell, a show where continuity directly flowed from one episode to the next was rare in children's shows rather than one that returned to the status quo every episode.

When I was a kid we had Robotech, which had a serial structure to it. And even Voltron had longer multi-episode arcs.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Zeroisanumber posted:

When I was a kid we had Robotech, which had a serial structure to it. And even Voltron had longer multi-episode arcs.

:hmmyes:

As a kid I craved things like this and Robotech and could never get into Looney Tunes type cartoons.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The olmecs in that were hosed up

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

I knew what this was going to be even before I clicked on it. :lol: <3

edit: wait a minute....something's off about that? Did they go back and re-dub it?

edit 2: holy poo poo, they did! this is the original:

I'm glad they kept it in, it rules so much

sadly it's missing from kai

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gravy Jones posted:

:hmmyes:

As a kid I craved things like this and Robotech and could never get into Looney Tunes type cartoons.

I thought I was the only person in the entire world who remembered that show.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

staticman posted:

UW announced that all operations on campus are cancelled for the weekend due to the coming snowstorm. Could the UWCR Patriot Prayer event be cancelled to save the fash from a bashing at the hands of the Snow Miser?

Can I be arrested for throwing snowballs?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

One thing I remember from studying the Indiana iteration of the Klan, apart from finding out that my hometown changed Labor Day to Klan Day temporarily during Stevenson's rise, was how the Klan managed to hone its message for the GOP when the Dems were deemed too corrupted by Catholic immigrants.

At the time, most of Indiana's black community was still loyal to the GOP, though the trend line for their eventual trajectory into the Democrats was already evident. As the Klan had decided to use the Republicans as their vehicle to power, given the state's politics and the GOP's general distrust of Catholics, they actually tailored a message asking for black support or at least sought to keep them from sympathizing with other minorities.

George Dale, the editor of the Muncie Post-Democrat, waged a pretty famous campaign against the Klan in Indiana, and a number of his articles focus on the Klan's attempts to divide and defame minorities. These included hiring women who claimed to be "ex-nuns" and use them to testify to various crimes committed by Catholics. The most egregious article I read back when involved an African-American state GOP operative echoing Klan propaganda that lynchings in the South were primarily carried out by "Jews and Catholic immigrants."

What we got ain't nothing new, I guess.

The Hoosier State Chronicles has a pretty decent cross-section of Dale's writings and insults, which are all pretty amazing. This article kinda breaks down his life and the context of the time pretty well too:
https://blog.newspapers.library.in.gov/koo-koo-side-lights-george-dale-vs-the-klan/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/10939019341829775363
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1093903498251509761

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Unrelated to the main thrust of this but I like how every single picture that these guys do has them crossing their arms to look cool, ignoring the fact that crossing your arms like that is a *defensive* gesture.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Cold: the precise logic flowing
Hard: the facts with which we own
Push to keep the Left from coming
Feel the madness that we sow

This: the song of deadbeat fathers
Hide the heart of who we are
Making videos to build our followers
Bitter, alienated, posting 'till we fall

And we all grift, and we're all in this grift
together, together
Though we're Patreon-less, 'till we're penniless
together, together

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

I thought I was the only person in the entire world who remembered that show.

I know the show but legit didn't know it was released in English, it was a big deal in French-speaking territories.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
she's so incredibly loving stupid

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1093923658446323712

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
he really does have a shrunken face

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

staticman posted:

When you're not and have never been a fascist brute
https://twitter.com/Kherman112/status/1093677341685903361

Todays fascists are the biggest drama queens of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

univbee posted:

I know the show but legit didn't know it was released in English, it was a big deal in French-speaking territories.

perusing the Wikipedia page and given that this a French-Japanese production is it safe to say this is where anime learned to develop borderline incomprehensible worldbuilding and storylines based off stuff the writers perused at the occult bookstore?