Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

cock hero flux posted:

It's actually funny that, for all that SMEN is an insane death spiral towards destroying your character permanently, it's actually incredibly easy to get out of. There's literally a button you can press that is just "NOPE", and it'll pull you out immediately. You won't get back what you've lost, but you also won't lose any more, and it's available right up until the very, very end. Hell, backing out at the last possible second actually gets you a very nice prize, although depending on how you did things you may or may not have already permanently destroyed your own ability to use it.

There's genuinely nothing keeping you on SMEN other than your own desire to see what happens if you keep going.

That's what makes it so great. They created a horrible trap questline, deliberately made it as terrible as possible, told people every single step of the way that this is stupid and will destroy you, and even gave you a clear out with no negative consequences at every single point. And you know what happened? People spent years doing it. They collaborated. They shared tips and insight into how to do it well. They competed on who could be the first to complete it and completely destroy their character.

Trick someone into sticking their dick in a meat grinder and they'll hate you for it. Put up a sign saying "Hey this is a meat grinder please don't stick your dick in it" and they'll loving line up to do so just out of perversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

It's actually funny that, for all that SMEN is an insane death spiral towards destroying your character permanently, it's actually incredibly easy to get out of. There's literally a button you can press that is just "NOPE", and it'll pull you out immediately. You won't get back what you've lost, but you also won't lose any more, and it's available right up until the very, very end. Hell, backing out at the last possible second actually gets you a very nice prize, although depending on how you did things you may or may not have already permanently destroyed your own ability to use it.

There's genuinely nothing keeping you on SMEN other than your own desire to see what happens if you keep going.

What in the flying gently caress, why would any developer think this is a good idea

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Umbreon posted:

What in the flying gently caress, why would any developer think this is a good idea

Oh people love it, Fallen London has a huge community of people Seeking the Name. It’s all done perfectly fairly, you always know what the price will be for doing so and nothing will ever force you to.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
In online games like FL and other MMOs and stuff, you generally are intended to keep playing forever or until you're bored.

Seeking the Name is an actual The End, You are Done, Stop Playing, Roll Credits, Walk Away. Incredibly refreshing.

(https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/xiw)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Umbreon posted:

They didn't, Seeking the name was intentionally written to be as cruel and punishing and as un-fun to play as possible. Turns out a LOT of people are into that though.

NewMars posted:

I don't know about all, but this is basically what the Truth ambition is about.

Edit: also you can just sail through Death's Door. It's at the north end of the map and it's like going past the clockwork sun or out into the east in Sunless Sea.

Neat! Thanks for letting me know!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Umbreon posted:

Well, there's a particular reason for it. They want to have a quest where you get dragged deeper and deeper into studying the forbidden mysteries and must sacrifice more and more to get further and further, and in doing so you wear down, cripple and ultimately permanently and irreversibly destroy it. Fits within the universe, is something for people to do when they're burnt out on lategame content and just want a conclusion to their game, and it's fun, sort of.
However, Fallen London is also a game where you can pay real money in order to improve your character, and so they didn't want to have people who spent hojillions of dollars on their character to accidentally torpedo it and then come and yell at them about it. So, they put very explicit, out of character warnings on all of it, and issue you a get-out-of-jail free card so that they have the ability to just go "look, you were warned dozens of times and could have stopped whenever" when those people come knocking.

As for it being a good idea, nothing's forcing you to do it and the people who do it, myself included, seem to like it.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Also it's really interesting to see game design like this applied to degeneration - how many games are about progression in some form? How many are about taking that progression and TRASHING IT ALL in a REALLY GROTESQUE WAY?

An experience where you first build yourself up over years and then tear it all down is really unique.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
At one point, they added an option to ride a Ferris wheel to the surface, where you would instantly and permanently die from the cruel gaze of a merciless sun.

Someone tried it, and submitted a bug report when they survived.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tehan posted:

At one point, they added an option to ride a Ferris wheel to the surface, where you would instantly and permanently die from the cruel gaze of a merciless sun.

Someone tried it, and submitted a bug report when they survived.

Humans are great sometimes.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So, if I had no prior experience with Sunless X titles, but want to jump in, is this game a good starting point? I heard that this one is the least grindy/has the best game-play out of them which sounds promising, but what about story? Is there some kind of interconnected plot-line and I will gently caress things up, if I begin with basically third part of it? And in the case I really get into it (which is entirely possible) and will want to play previous titles will this one spoil me to major things from them?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The rich people on the Brabazon tour are peak wokeness.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

So, if I had no prior experience with Sunless X titles, but want to jump in, is this game a good starting point? I heard that this one is the least grindy/has the best game-play out of them which sounds promising, but what about story? Is there some kind of interconnected plot-line and I will gently caress things up, if I begin with basically third part of it? And in the case I really get into it (which is entirely possible) and will want to play previous titles will this one spoil me to major things from them?

The "first title" is an mmoish text game played through a browser. It is not really a prequel to the Sunless games so much as something that is happening on the side in the setting that has been established. Sunless sea is a stand alone story in the same setting so you're not really missing anything except for background lore and world building.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Just jump in imo. The plot points you miss out on are mostly lore-building and not overt anyway, although I haven't finished Skies yet so I dunno if that holds completely true. There will be a lot of times you'll THINK you missed something, though, but that's just the game's way of giving information. It's very nonchalant about a lot of things that should be very... Non-nonchalant. Chalant.

Piecing it together is part of the fun though!

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Lt. Lizard posted:

There are some definite spoilers yeah, but it isn’t really relevant. It’s all mostly unrelated quests with no overarching narrative beyond the basic setup to tie it together. And it only does the most basic of exposition it can get away with. Half the fun is trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on, because the game will almost never just outright tell you.

And while you can certainly enjoy any of them on your own you’re not going to realize that, just as an example, devils are actually swarms of angry star bees wearing a very clever disguise without patching together information from several different unrelated quests from all three games.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think the hidden 4th ambition might be, if not quite SMEN tier, at least significantly more complex than every other quest in this game. I have no idea how to even get past step 1...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stroth posted:

That's what makes it so great. They created a horrible trap questline, deliberately made it as terrible as possible, told people every single step of the way that this is stupid and will destroy you, and even gave you a clear out with no negative consequences at every single point. And you know what happened? People spent years doing it. They collaborated. They shared tips and insight into how to do it well. They competed on who could be the first to complete it and completely destroy their character.

Trick someone into sticking their dick in a meat grinder and they'll hate you for it. Put up a sign saying "Hey this is a meat grinder please don't stick your dick in it" and they'll loving line up to do so just out of perversity.

adding to this, the quest's insane pointlessness is also recognized as such in-game - nearly everyone in the Neath is scared shitless of Seekers, because their relentless self-destructive determination means they will literally chew through you if you're standing between them and something they want

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also it bears the incredibly rare, possibly singular distinction of being a videogame ending that is almost totally unspoiled, because the game can't be datamined and nearly everyone cracked enough to spend literal years stat-grinding to complete the quest is also devoted enough to the role to not leak what happens when they're finished

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How many major ports are there in Eleutheria? Just want to know if I'm missing any

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Umbreon posted:

Their games are heavy in narrative, so it's an option to turn the narrative of your character in a tragedy.

Bad (for the character) ends are sometimes good ends. I liked The Witcher 3 'bad end', for example.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

also it bears the incredibly rare, possibly singular distinction of being a videogame ending that is almost totally unspoiled, because the game can't be datamined and nearly everyone cracked enough to spend literal years stat-grinding to complete the quest is also devoted enough to the role to not leak what happens when they're finished

There is a blog on tumblr that spoils all 3 SMEN endings (I think it has 3 posts total, google seek no longer if you wish). One of them is sort of vague bullshit, another is quite epic, epic enough IMO to consider it "winning" the fallen london, and the third one I didn't understand what it has to do with SMEN or anything at all.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Wrr posted:

I had to click a single button which would instantly (none permanently) kill my character. It was not guaranteed to give me an increment in the quality I was trying to increase to 7.

I believe had to do the same for something that would send me to the tomb colonies.

My opportunity deck was filled with black lined cards which I could not discard. I had to play them to do things such as paying a man to remove my teeth so I could swallow them. All the opportunities hurt badly.

I clicked a single button and my Watchful dropped from 200 to 98. I'd wager it took at least half a year, if not more, to build that skill up.

cock hero flux posted:

I spent several hundred echoes worth of stuff on an action which I, based on having 200+ watchful, had a 25~% chance of success on. Failure or Success both cost me the items, second chances did not work, and the only reward of success was to add 1 to a counter I needed to hit 77, and to increase the difficulty of the next attempt. I did this dozens of times.

I also permanently removed my ability to have a Profession, Ambition, Destiny or Notability and I cut my own head off.

SMEN is fun.
War stories like these are one of the core aspects of the Seeking player community, by the way. The greater or more unusual one's sacrifices, the higher one's status is in the eyes of one's self-destructive peers.

(Speaking of which, the quest line can be completed once you have get the progress tracking quality to 77. I raised mine to 777.)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

cheetah7071 posted:

How many major ports are there in Eleutheria? Just want to know if I'm missing any

Seven IIRC, but if it's your first time in Eleutheria, just check if you have the achievement for visiting all the ports in the region.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Seven IIRC, but if it's your first time in Eleutheria, just check if you have the achievement for visiting all the ports in the region.

7 is 7 is 7 is 7 is 7 is 7 is 7

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Sekenr posted:

There is a blog on tumblr that spoils all 3 SMEN endings (I think it has 3 posts total, google seek no longer if you wish). One of them is sort of vague bullshit, another is quite epic, epic enough IMO to consider it "winning" the fallen london, and the third one I didn't understand what it has to do with SMEN or anything at all.

I chose "the 3rd one," and the relative "meta" context of it and what I felt was an intimate connection with the Zee made me feel really satisfied at the time. I only started FL after Sunless Sea introduced me to the setting, and only really cared about FL insofar as the Storynexus meta-qualities would unlock additional content in Seas.

Regarding the qualities:
it's completely inessential bullshit starter items that in no way justified literal years playing a browser game lol

I actually emailed Failbetter the day before I went North, because I didn't want to "miss out" on Fallen London/Skies tie-ins, and they confirmed that they're not doing that this time around.

Reading the other two conclusions, a reckoning will not be postponed indeed, holy poo poo

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Ephemeron posted:

War stories like these are one of the core aspects of the Seeking player community, by the way. The greater or more unusual one's sacrifices, the higher one's status is in the eyes of one's self-destructive peers.

(Speaking of which, the quest line can be completed once you have get the progress tracking quality to 77. I raised mine to 777.)

The only time I ever bought FL premium moneys was to ride that drat Ferris Wheel

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

SMEN is legit among my favorite writing in FL. I really hope something of that caliber gets added to Skies. It helps that at the time I was living in Japan on a small paycheck. I tried to save money by not eating as much and all the portion sizes there are much smaller than in America (A good thing imho). End result was though that I was always, constantly, hungry. I would go get a big beef bowel and devour it in a few minutes and leave still hungry. I would order the 2-for-1 take-out special from Dominoes and eat two large pizzas in a single day and still be hungry. It was wild, and all during this I was working my way through Mr. Eaten's storylines and all the bits about the never ending hunger in the core of a person resonated with me in a weird hosed up way.

I did not eat my teeth or any candles or a living rat or anything.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Wrr posted:

SMEN is legit among my favorite writing in FL.
I was always, constantly, hungry. I would go get a big beef bowel and devour it in a few minutes and leave still hungry.

:hmmyes:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A follow up from Sunless sea in discovered in the Blue Kingdom that made me feel weirdly emotional: I found The Venturer at the Forge of Souls and was hit by a wave of nostalgia. The captain I sent to cross the Avid Horizan back in sunless seas was one of my favorites, It felt good to learn she's apparently still out there somewhere having adventures :unsmith:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
We've built a city on a giant flower in the vicinity of a giant beehive.

Surely nothing can go wrong with this.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Reveilled posted:

The achievement is bugged and got granted to me the instant I loaded a save in Eleutheria. This has happened in every region I've visited.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ephemeron posted:

I raised mine to 777.)
why

I mean I spent 2 months worth of resources to write the greatest novel ever written so that I could throw the only copy into a well, but I did that because it was the easy option. I can't loving imagine how long that took.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Seven sorrows the priests give their Virgin;
But thy sins, which are seventy times seven,
Seven ages would fail thee to purge in,
And then they would haunt thee in heaven:
Fierce midnights and famishing morrows,
And the loves that complete and control
All the joys of the flesh, all the sorrows
That wear out the soul.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

raising SMEN to 777 seems like exactly the sort of thing that wouldn't actually do anything, but would be allowed to be possible purely so that someone would think that it might do something and spend an unbelievable amount of time and effort getting to it

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Stroth posted:

There are some definite spoilers yeah, but it isn’t really relevant. It’s all mostly unrelated quests with no overarching narrative beyond the basic setup to tie it together. And it only does the most basic of exposition it can get away with. Half the fun is trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on, because the game will almost never just outright tell you.

And while you can certainly enjoy any of them on your own you’re not going to realize that, just as an example, devils are actually swarms of angry star bees wearing a very clever disguise without patching together information from several different unrelated quests from all three games.

Wow. I've played FL and Seas for at least a few weeks, and a few days for Skies, and there is no way that I would have had even the first suspicion about that.

So yeah, the game is enjoyable regardless of whether you're a loremaster or a raw newbie.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

One Swell Foop posted:

Wow. I've played FL and Seas for at least a few weeks, and a few days for Skies, and there is no way that I would have had even the first suspicion about that.

So yeah, the game is enjoyable regardless of whether you're a loremaster or a raw newbie.

There's an event that's rather difficult to get to in Fallen London where you Kill a devil and it crumbles into basically a heap of broken paper mache, and then a single bee crawls out of it and flies away. Actually, come to think of it, I guess that doesn't count as killing it so much as totaling its car or something, but still. I think this is the actual source of the knowledge behind what devils actually are.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

frest posted:

I chose "the 3rd one," and the relative "meta" context of it and what I felt was an intimate connection with the Zee made me feel really satisfied at the time. I only started FL after Sunless Sea introduced me to the setting, and only really cared about FL insofar as the Storynexus meta-qualities would unlock additional content in Seas.

Regarding the qualities:
it's completely inessential bullshit starter items that in no way justified literal years playing a browser game lol

I actually emailed Failbetter the day before I went North, because I didn't want to "miss out" on Fallen London/Skies tie-ins, and they confirmed that they're not doing that this time around.

Reading the other two conclusions, a reckoning will not be postponed indeed, holy poo poo

Now that these are being discussed(I did Grieve which was perfect), but am I interpreting the Salt one right? Your player was retrospectively Salt in disguise all along on an undercover mission to find out what happened to Eaten? That's pretty sweet.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Welp, I finally got a good start on one of my legacies and saved when I was about to upgrade to a better locomotive. Now I just get a black screen after the Failbetter logo and even reinstalling the game doesn't fix it.

edit: the fix was deleting my save, for anyone else who has that issue. I don't know that I'll play this game again, that kind of killed my motivation.

Agnostalgia fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 8, 2019

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Do you happen to still have a copy of the save somewhere? Could you send it to me somehow? I would try to load it, and if it loads I would just re-save and see if that one opens for you. Losing progress sucks, so...just felt helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think dodging is faster than normal movement. At least with that Empyrean ship. Yep.